Jump to ratings and reviews

Sensabria

Astronaut and pilot Cole Daniels departs from Earth in 2063 on a mission to reach a distant planet. After awakening from suspended animation, he and his crewmates soon become confused. Somehow they’ve returned to Earth.

An expedition down to the surface reveals no traces of life, however, a faint signal directs them to make a surprising discovery: an underground city known as Sensabria.

The Sensabrians welcome Cole to their city, and as he explores this strange yet beautiful realm, they show him numerous technological wonders. He learns of advanced genetic breakthroughs, including an entirely new field of genetic science. He also catches an occasional glimpse into the Sensabrian’s mysterious culture.

Cole becomes attracted to a Sensabrian woman, and his growing romantic feelings for her complicate his situation after a series of suspicious events take place. He senses that his life may be in danger… but he has no idea what lies ahead.

Kindle Edition

2 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
1 (7%)
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews
Profile Image for Valery.
1,288 reviews44 followers
February 16, 2017
Sensabria by Darrel Merke is a superbly creative work of science fiction. It is very evident that Merke has talent, not only with the words he uses, but in creating magical worlds. Astronaut and pilot Cole Daniels, in the year 2063, leaves for what he thinks is a distant planet, only to find himself and his peers back on earth. They discover a small city called Sensabria, and from there the confusion and wonderment begin. Merke does a great job of describing the technological advances that are integral in the heart of Sensabria. He has created a beautiful place to visit, but the reader and Cole, the main character, are left wondering if what they see is real. With a few little interjections of humor, and subtle romance with a Sensabrian woman and Cole, Sensabria is a solid entry in the science fiction/fantasy genre. Plot twists keep the reader guessing until the end, and set the stage for another installment.
Profile Image for Heidi.
127 reviews6 followers
April 23, 2018
Sensabria by Darrel Merke is a cleverly written Sci-fi. With a background in visual art it is quite apparent in the way he's written this story.

The story is based around Cole Daniels an astronaut and pilot that leaves the Earth in 2063 on a mission to reach a distant planet. After coming out of a coma like state, Cole and his crew find themselves back on earth but it isn't like it was when they departed. Earth appears to be lifeless, however, a faint signal directs the team to make a discovery quite surprising. They come across a small isolated city named Sensabria.

Cole is welcomed with open arms by the locals. He starts to explore and discover that the Sensabrian's are quite an interesting bunch mixed with quirks and humour. The way Darrel describes this land is really quite beautiful, Cole is shown numerous technological winders and discovers how they have, broken through new fields of genetic sciences. Although it's mainly Sci-fi the author introduces romance as well. However this complicates things for Cole.

All in all a thoroughly well written book that leads the reader into wanting more.
Profile Image for Jimmy Jefferson.
1,043 reviews6 followers
February 18, 2019
A sci-fi thriller with a few twists along the way

This sci-fi adventure takes a journey that begins on earth and is destined for a remote planet hundreds of years away. Upon awaking from a cryogenic sleep, Cole and his crew discover they have returned to earth due to a malfunction in the system. Cole leads his crew to the surface of earth after discovering there are no apparent signs of life anywhere. After discovering a city, his crew is killed and Cole manages to survive. Shara is his doctor and Cole begins to explore this city that is the only thing left on the planet. The people of this city are very interested in the ship Cole has and he agrees to bring it down to earth which is when things get really interesting. This story is well written and the characters are well developed and easy to relate to. The scene description makes you feel like you are right there and can touch and smell the pages of the story. I recommend this one to all the sci-fi fans as well as those who are looking to try something new. This is a great story for anyone looking to try the sci-fi genre. Check this one out and comment back to let me know what you think.
172 reviews3 followers
March 6, 2018
Darrel Merke’s, “Sensabria,” is a science fiction styled novel that looks at a brand new culture and world that is unlike anything our group of characters has ever experienced. Cole and his crew are originally from Earth and end up back on Earth after having to originally be embarking towards another planet, while simultaneously being suspended in a coma like state to make them viable at their arrival. Their arrival on Earth again is unexpected, especially as it appears desolate, except for the small city of Sensabria, where the people have developed technology much further than ever imagined. The people themselves, however have some interesting quirks because of how their culture had developed and it allows for different humor to land appropriately from the author without feeling out of place. I really enjoyed how a brand new people were created because it gives a new perception of how the world could become and just makes you think of all of the possibilities that the future holds.
Profile Image for Payal Sinha.
Author 6 books20 followers
April 13, 2018
Sensabria is an intelligent science fiction that amazes you and also gives you food for thought. Three astronauts Cole, Deven and Winter are sent on a special mission to seek a planet like earth where people could live in. They are suspended in time so that they reach their destination fully intact even though it may be few light years away. However fate brings them back to earth which has been changed tremendously. Their home planet has become all desert land and water bodies. All the cities and towns are gone. This bewilders them until they happen to come upon the only surviving city. Unfortunately the radiation emitted from the city kills two of the astronauts and leaves a third severely injured. The real beauty of the story is unfolded then and we are introduced to many advanced technology and wonders. Yet problems come in many forms and the astronaut must keep his wit alive to survive.

Sensabria is a highly interesting story with many twists and turns.
Profile Image for Pegboard.
1,744 reviews9 followers
March 3, 2018
The dream of traveling to a far off planet and starting a new civilization came to an end when Pilot Cole Daniels wakes up and finds he is back at earth. A trip that should have taken him hundreds of years took thousands of years. The difference between when they left and their return was shocking. Planet earth was ridden with radiation storms, unsustainable land surface, and civilizations burrowed below the ground.

Cole survives the radiation burns he receives, with the help of his lovely doctor, but has to learn a foreign way of living among super humans in the high-tech city of Sensabria. The mysteries around the real reason everyone wants Cole to bring the Celestria down to earth makes him feel queasy since he realizes he is responsible for everyone’s future. Just after he decides to bring his ship down Sensabria is attacked and survival looks slim.
Profile Image for Mar.
329 reviews3 followers
September 4, 2018
With an exciting premise, I didn’t take much time to think if I should buy this book or not. Sensabria Book 1 does deliver an engaging sci-fi novel. Darrel Merke delivers an outstanding piece of work and I’ll surely be on the lookout for others of his books.
I’ve read in other reviews that the author is a “painter” and it really is true. The way he describes the characters and the places is like watching to a canvas. You feel like you are in the story and is like a movie playing in your head. It takes talent to be this descriptive without getting boring, and Darrel Merke has a massive talent.
The story is engaging, with strong, multi-layered characters, with some interesting and unexpected twists of the plot. If this is any indication of the quality of the author, I can’t wait to put my hands on Book 2 of the series.
189 reviews3 followers
September 19, 2018
Well, this book is simply awesome. If you like sci-fi, if you don’t like sci-fi, doesn’t really matter, this book is something you need to read.
The premise is extremely engaging and well thought out, astronauts are sent on a mission, but when they wake up, they realize they are somehow back at Earth, and the Earth is completely changed. Sensabria is the only town they find and from there, the story just unravels wonderfully. It is tense, cool, exciting, different, I loved it. The world that this author pulled out from his imagination is full and real, the idea itself is awesome and the characters are great. I feel like I should say something critical about this book, but I can’t really. Ok, I didn’t love the ending, but just because it is used as a segway into second part. Besides that, I don’t really have any complaints, this is a real surprise and it should not be missed.
Profile Image for Jessica.
2,009 reviews10 followers
January 21, 2019
In 2063 Astronaut and pilot Cole Daniels departs from Earth along with his fellow astronauts Deven and winter. On a mission to Aqualias, a distant planet, the astronauts are awoken and at first believe everything to be working as scheduled. However, they quickly become aware that they are back in orbit around earth, but there are no human life signs, and the planet is completely white. They find humans in a city called Sensabria and start to explore in an attempt of figuring out what happened to earth and how they arrived there.
This was a really good SciFi novel, the story is right up there with the movie The Martian for me and I loved that movie, have watched it too many times. The characters are believable, the technology is as spot on as one can get and it was not written that the technical terms went over my head. Awesome adventure book!
22 reviews
January 13, 2019
There was so much technical jargon that most of the book didn't make any sense to me. I am not a chemical engineer and had to start skimming to find the story in all the jibber jabber. After a third of the book was "read", I decided it just wasn't worth it to continue.
Profile Image for Kimberly.
111 reviews1 follower
February 25, 2017
This is an amazing well done story about the future. I found that the author does a wonderful job with describing the locations and the characters. I loved the way the author described the technology that the main character came in contact with. The author does a great job of making this story really interesting and giving the reader the hard time of putting this book down. From the very first chapter I found this book hard to put down. I just had to know what was going to happen. I loved the idea of this future world and that for me it was something knew and unexpected. While there were some predictable parts of the story it still flowed nicely and made for a great story. I will be recommending this story to my friends who love to read science fiction.
Profile Image for Julius Blitzy.
476 reviews9 followers
February 18, 2017
Stunning, amazingly written, something I didn’t expected and yet in my opinion was the biggest highlight of this story. I think this is the best description I could write for this book.
If you are a fan of science-fiction, this is a ‘must read’ for you, I watched Interstellar countless times, is one of my favorites movies of all times, and the reason of why I’m mentioning this to you is to relate it to the review. Cole Daniels and his crew departs from Earth in the year 2063 on a mission to reach a distant planet, to accomplish it, they are put to sleep for the long journey, something goes wrong and when everyone awake again they find themselves again on planet Earth.
The premise is engaging from the very start, everything is so interesting and it keeps the reader on the edge of their seat reading and wanting to know more without pushing any heavy explanation about anything. That is one of the things on why I find this book to be so compelling, but the thing I don’t think I would enjoy the most was the humor in it, there are a lot of cracking moments and none of them felt out of place. There is so much more on it that the only thing I would tell you is to see it for yourself, my highest recommendation.
Profile Image for Alia.
57 reviews
February 22, 2017
There is nothing more exciting then embarking on a journey to a new world, or at least that’s what Cole and his crew expected to do. They wake up on Earth, but not as we know it, it is completely desolate. Eventually they stumble upon the populated city of Sensabria.
Although it may seem this town is beautiful and masters of Science, Cole can sense something just isn’t right. What story can be fully complete without a love interest? Cole finds himself having romantic feelings, but are they real?
Darrel Merke has the perfect imagination and story line for any avid sci-fi reader. The Author makes it so detailed and vivid I actually felt like I was venturing throughout this new land with Cole and his team.
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.