Start by marking “Psssst! It's Me...the Bogeyman” as Want to Read:
Psssst!  It's Me...the Bogeyman

Psssst! It's Me...the Bogeyman

A genuine, creepy-crawly, blood-chilling, spine-tingling Bogeyman, who lives under beds, reveals something he soon regrets.
Published September 1st 2001 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Psssst! It's Me...the Bogeyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psssst! It's Me...the Bogeyman

Start your review of Psssst! It's Me...the Bogeyman
Courtnie
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-boys
Read aloud.

My eldest gravitates towards monster books and this would be his second 'monster under the bed' book. His first being I Need My Monster, which we both liked a little more. The pictures are more intersting and bright, whereas these are quite stylized and a bit abstract. Additionally, for a beginning reader this book was difficult to read (or even track with) as most of the rhyming words are slang-like or made up.

Fun for mom to read aloud - lots of opportunity to read with feeling as
Danielle Mootz
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I thought this book was hilarious! The kids are relieved that the bogeyman is allergic to stinky socks and rather harmless.
Rae'Lu McBride
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of an assignment for my Washington State University Teaching & Learning 307 class. This book is a picture book about the Bogeyman under a boy’s bed. The Bogeyman explains that he never shows his face or takes kids when he scares because he would lose his job. He goes on to tell the boy that he scares people in the dark by hiding in the closet, under the bed and doing things to make the hairs on the back of their neck stand up. At the end of the book the Bogeyman ...more
Molly Rhymer
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picture Book. This book is about the experience a young boy has with the bogeyman under his bed.
Tina Price
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
OMG, this was hilarious!
MaryAnn
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great word play and fun way to examine that which frightens us. Ending is bound to be a favorite of one sibling or another. Would be fun to read aloud.
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
I really, really, really liked this book when I was a little kid - it was frequently one of the three books I was allowed to check out at a time, and it never failed to make me laugh.
David
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Psssst! It's Me... the Bogeyman by Barbara Park, illustrated by Stephen Kroninger is a story straight from the bogeyman, who's angry about being mis-characterized, but he's got one big weakness.

The bogeyman is stew-spewin', gravel-chewin' mad. He's tired of all the nonsense people say about him. The bogeyman does NOT pose for pictures. He doesn't say BOO -- that's a baby word. The bogeyman does not want to get ya -- if he got ya, what would he do with ya? What would he feed ya? His job is to
Relyn
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Katie Wood Ray
Shelves: lawsonland, gotta-buy
Big praise for this book. Barbara Park, of Junie B. Jones fame, is as powerful as ever with word choice and engaging plot line. My students loved this book enough that I believe they'll cheer when I get it out again to read to them for fun. This is a great book. I used it in my writing mini-lessons for a lesson on reading like writers. Basically, good writers are looking for ideas to use in their own writing every time they read anything. You wouldn't believe the list my second graders came up ...more
Josiah
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is almost certainly the funniest picture book that I have ever read.
No one is ever fresher in tone or writes with a more lively touch than Barbara Park, and in this brightly hilarious first picture book of hers, she has succeeded very well. A lot of unexpectedly funny lines actually made me laugh out loud, as the author is so supremely skilled at making me do with her novels for middle-grade readers.
I highly recommend this picture book for anyone, but in particular to those readers that
Melanie
The Bogeyman is not happy with a recent story about him in the local paper. According to him the Bogeyman does not say boo! And he doesn't look like frankenstein. Plus he doesn't "get ya." Oh, yeah, it's also against his contract to allow himself to be seen, or even (gasp!) photographed!

A great storybook for storytimes! My only concern is that the illustrated hands may be a bit too creepy for storytime.
Stephanie Wilkinson
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picture book. This is a funny, exciting story from the perspective of the monster under the bed. There is beautiful variety in the use of fonts to increase understanding of big words that kids usually wouldn't find in a picture book.
Andrea
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, fiction
Clever tale about who the Bogeyman really is and who he isn't. The only bad thing about this book is, as a parent, the Bogeyman says he doesn't like smelly socks. Kids who hear this story may decided to throw all their worn socks on the floor to ward off the Bogeyman! :(
Katherine
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Uhg. Between this book and Junie B. Jones, I'm getting the impression I should avoid Barbara Park altogether.

I gave this two stars instead of only one because the twist at the end with the dirty socks was clever. And the illustration work is sort of interesting.
Lauras
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my all-time favorite read-along for the kids who visit my library. They laugh at all the funny jokes and I get to explain how they too can use amazing adjectives in their writing. I just wish it wasn't out of print as my library copies keep disappearing!
Amber Pangburn
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is about a boy who was scared of something that lived under his bed. At the end the boy's sister fount him and he had to move away. I would use this in the classroom to show the students how things may be scary but that you should talk to someone about them.
Christina Bontrager
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is great at holding students' attention and interest. This book also contains a lot of onomatopoeia. This book would really enhance or review what that means. It is also a great story for Halloweeen. The third graders really enjoyed reading this book.
Becky Brown
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kid-stuff
My little brother & I LOVE this book. We have so much fun making up voices for the bogeyman. Very fun & silly.
Tegan
Never read this one before (that I can recall), I really enjoyed it! I even got the chills reading it. A lot of fun, too!
Justin Castillo
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very clever for kids. I can imagine how many will believe the myth. Cutting edge collages for all ages.
Ashlyn Kesler
Onomatopoeia. Rich language.
Tristan
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!
Elke Ursin
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Oh my, what a weird story this is! It's like all the early ninety's slang got shoved into one book! Yikes!
Jenny
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. SOOOO much fun to read aloud.
Western Allegheny

• I Want My Hat Back
  • Du Iz Tak?
  • Double Bass Blues
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for