Start by marking “Dark Stranger (Slater Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Stranger (Slater Brothers, #1)

Dark Stranger

(Slater Brothers #1)

Kristin MaCahy's dream of freedom and a life of dignity and self-sufficiency had vanished. All she had left to fight for was her ranch--but she had to give up her independence to do it. She needed Cole Slater's help, but in return she offered the only thing she had--herself. No questions. No answers. Just a bargain. From the author of Slow Burn.
Published January 1st 2003 by Wheeler Publishing (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Stranger

Vero Rinconin
#RitaGraham #RetoRita2
*3'5*
Me ha gustado, es un libro entretenido y que a lo tonto engancha. Está ambientado en la Guerra de Secesión y tiene secretos, un protagonista terco (aunque ella no se queda corta) y unos secundarios que van a dar juego en próximos libros.
El segundo creo que me gustará mucho porque sus protagonistas aquí captaron mi atención mucho.
Glamdring

Yes. And every time I see a list of the dead — either side — it hurts like hell. You've seen the worst of it, Kristin. There are men on both sides of this thing who are fine and gallant, the very best we've ever bred, no matter what state they've hailed from.

Heather Graham is one of my favourite authors. She’s such a formidable story teller and I love so much her books that I keep re-reading the one I’ve already read. This is the main reason it took me so long to get to this series.

I know tha
Naksed
It was a great subject matter: the total anarchy that resulted from the U.S. Civil War, allowing thieving, rapey, completely uncontrolled militia to victimize innocent civilians with impunity, regardless of their political stance.

The set-up was great too: Former Southern belle takes on drifter gunslinger as a lover to protect her ranch and family against the aforementioned bands of marauders.

What ruined it for me were uninspiring protagonists, implausible dialogue, and the huge plot hole at the
Feminista
Rating: 2.5 out of 5.

Could have been better. I disliked the hero and heroine hitting one another.

I also disliked the fact that Shannon, made her sister feel guilty. And guilt-ed her into marrying the hero, guilt-ed her into feeling for the hero, what she felt for her own beau...
Sonia
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Después de leer la review de VeroRinconin aquí en Goodreads para el #retoRita2 #RitaGraham
Me queda muy poco que añadir...
Me ha parecido entretenido, con un punto de partida interesante y una pareja protagonista con química; no obstante, me ha faltado profundidad en el desarrollo de los personajes y cuando por fin se sinceran, se soluciona todo muy rápido...
Reconozco que me ha gustado lo suficiente como para leer en un futuro la segunda historia de los her
Jaime
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a pretty good romance with an interesting setting. The MaCahy's live in Missouri near the border with Kansas in the last months of the Civil War, an area that is being terrorized by a gang of rogue soldiers. The two daughters are living alone with their farm and home help after their brother has to go fight in the war and their father is murdered by the Raiders. They are themselves being attacked when a (ahem) Dark Stranger rides over the horizon and saves them. Desperate for ...more
Ana Maria
No me gustó mucho. Me resultó pesada y un poco aburrida.
En realidad, la leí después de la novela que sigue "Más fuerte que el odio", que sigue con la historia pero centrada en la pareja de Sharon con Malachi, los hermanos de Kristin y Cole.
Esta sí que me gustó porque es una pareja explosiva.
Entonces leí "El forastero" pero solo me sirvió para enterarme de cómo venía la historia de la segunda novela.
BJ Rose
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this story is a romance *so yes, it has an HEA*, this is really a story of the struggle of the settlers who lived near the borders of Kansas and Missouri during the American Civil War. Specifically, it portrays incidents that created the "Bleeding Kansas" of the 1860s. This was the era of Quantrill's Raiders, who attacked the McCahy Ranch and brutally murdered Kristin's father. Now a small group of the Raiders has returned, wanting Kristin as their plaything. Cole Slater happens upon th ...more
Elizabeth Bowman
3,5.
Me gustan mucho las historias ambientadas en el marco de la Guerra de Secesión, sobre todo cuando hacen referencia a hechos históricos, como batallas, aparecen personajes reales de la época y hacen una descripción, más o menos exhaustiva, del tiempo en el que se sitúan.
El romance entre los protagonistas no es el eje de la historia, bajo mi punto de vista, pero ni me ha disgustado ni me ha importado. Personalmente disfruto tanto con los retratos del entorno paisajístico de la época, de las co
Jenna
She's an extra-ordinary story teller with a good narrative plot that will keep you turning the pages. Just the first page of this book I feel like holding my breath and anxious to see what would happen next......this story happened during the Civil War a fight between the Confiderate (South)and the Union (North). A family was torn each other and fight for both sides a father, husband, brothers, and cousins etc.

Kristin McCahy has to survive along with her sister Shannon after the Bushwhackers att
Adriana Fogaça
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irmãos Slater 01.
O Forasteiro.
Dark Stranger.
Hather Graham Pozzessere
1988

Nossa!!!!!!!!

Adorei, estória emocionante... uma aventura sem fim...

Pena que li o segundo e terceiro livros dos Irmãos Slater antes deste. Este primeiro livro dá uma idéia mais ampla das relações entre as pessoas e explica os porquês. E dá uma base muito forte para as seqüências.

E a forma traumática que Kristin e Cole se conhecem da o ritmo a estória do início ao fim. Além de se observar o florescimento do amor entre eles. E
Regan Walker
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 and 1/2 Stars! Absorbing Story of Love on the Kansas-Missouri Border During the Civil War

This is the first in Graham’s Civil War trilogy about the three Slater brothers from Virginia: DARK STRANGER (Cole), RIDES A HERO (Malachi) and APACHE SUMMER (Jamie).

Set in 1862-1865 on the Kansas/Missouri border, DARK STRANGER tells of Kristin McCahy, who is struggling to preserve her family’s ranch as the Civil War rages on. Caught on the border of the North and the South, she and her younger sister have
Jody
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Book #1 in a trilogy. You can get all 3 books together in a book called Summer Fires." This one starts out a little slow, but makes up for it about half way through. It's 1861 in Missouri. Quantrill's Raiders make life a living hell for the people of Missouri and Kansas. When they come to the McCahy farm, they threaten to kill everyone and sisters Kristen and Shannon fear for their virtue as well. Until Cole Slater rides in and saves the day. He's an excellent shot and tough as nails. Wh ...more
Maryam
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book so so much!! Love the hero....really like the heroine...side characters were awesome! Villain was villainous and just loved this book sooo much! I feel like the hero was a major ass in the beginning but at the same time you could see just a little under that and thats what i loved to know he wasnt a total jack ass! <3
Lady Raven RAVE!
This book for me was a turn on I LOVE the story line the dark stranger and the plot of it. I thought Cole was sexy strong breathtaking and just a good man, Kristin is a lovable heroine doing what she has to do for her family.. Great love scenes and i think if you like historical romance novels (civil war) then this is for you and the thing is i'm not much of a civil war romance person....
Mombo
I loved this book because it takes you back to a time when heroines were beautiful and feisty and heroes were handsome and handy with a gun.

Another plus to romance novels written early on is that the historical details are spelled out for you but thankfully not on the scale of Gone With The Wind.

The Dark Stranger builds nicely into books two and three of The Slater Brothers series.
M.A. Levi
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This passion filled story was so charming and warm, with sorrow, hate and evil riding along with the charm and warmth. This was a well written story that swelled with emotion from a point in time our country's history. It was a great story to read. It kept you reading and most of all true love was found.. I love happy endings
Nicole
I think I read this series years ago. I've been trying to figure out which one it was. The details here are on Goodreads for the 3 books aren't enough to jog my memory, but of the series of this author's I've looked through, this looks the most likely.
Phifer, Barbara
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good romance!
Susan
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1st HG, gd Civil War acct of Missouri/Kansas 'war'. Ppl intrstg, Yank/Reb frnds/fam divided
Christel
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance
Shelves: heather-graham
I really liked this book. To try and keep a promise that was made in friendship and trust is sometimes very hard to do. But Slater keeps his promise to his best friend. A really good read.
Mar
I found the characters to be one dimensional. But, it was a fairly decent read.
Julie
Oct 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
love this author but this one did not enjoy
Dorothy Williams
Leesa
Aug 31, 2012
Sandy N
Nov 22, 2017
  • Surrender  (Florida Civil War, #4)
  • Outlaw's Embrace
  • Savage Conquest (Gray Eagle, #9)
  • Love, Cherish Me (Aguilar's Fate, #1)
  • The River Devil (Devil, #2)
Heather Graham Pozzessere
aka Heather Graham, Shannon Drake

Heather Graham was born on March 15, 1953 and grew up in Dade County, Florida, and attended the University of South Florida at Tampa, majoring in theater arts and touring Europe and parts of Asia and Africa as part of her studies. After college, she acted in dinner theaters, modeled, waitressed, and tended bar. She married Hershey Dennis Po

Slater Brothers (3 books)
  • Rides A Hero (Slater Brothers, #2)
  • Apache Summer (Slater Brothers, #3)
“I hurt your feelings before. But then, I don’t think you were lacking in self-confidence. You must know that you’re beautiful. Your hair is so golden and you have the bearing of a young Venus. Kristen, it isn’t you. It’s me. I haven’t got any emotion left. I haven’t got what you need, what you want. Damn it, don’t you understand? I want you. I’m made out of flesh and blood and whatever else it is that God puts into men. I want you. Now. Hell, I could have wanted you right after I ripped another man away from you. I’m no better than he is, not really. Don’t you understand?” 4 likes