Start by marking “A Treasury of Kahlil Gibran” as Want to Read:
A Treasury of Kahlil Gibran

A Treasury of Kahlil Gibran (Gibran's Treasury)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  1,775 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Kahlil Gibran, author of "The Prophet," is known throughout the world as The Immortal Prophet of Lebanon and the Savant of his Age. The very heart of the mystic East emerges in this monumental volume of the magnificent poetry and prose that he wrote in his beloved mother tongue, Arabic. Translated superbly into English, here are the nine great books, gathered together in o ...more
Published January 1st 1976 by Citadel Press (first published 1947)

Henry Martin
The Treasured Writings of Khalil Gibran is a comprehensive collection of pretty much everything Gibran wrote during his lifetime. As such, it is a very large book—containing 902 pages.

I've been reading this 'on the side', while reading other, lighter books. While the size of the book may be intimidating to some readers, I have found that it is best read one or two short pieces at a time. This is partly because taking it slowly will allow the reader to reflect upon the text, and partly because G
Cara St.Hilaire
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want something to draw inspiration from on a daily basis, this should be in a place you can access it every single day. I can't say I've finished the book in the sense that I've read it front to back, but when I need a little guidance or comfort, I open to a place that resonates with me at that moment. I can't believe I lived so many years without this book.
⊱ Poppy ⊰
DNF @90%

This book was GOOD, For 2 parts, i REALLY enjoyed Gibran's writing but 3rd part was just not for me!
Eric Ogi
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently purchased this book at the general store in my hometown and have not begun a morning without it since. Seriously. If you want a book at your bedside for late-night or early morning reading, this is it. It is a large book at just over 900 pages, but spending an hour or so reading a few poems at a time is the best approach in my opinion. You will not believe the way that Gibran's poetry and prose reach deep into your soul and evoke a song that evades words. Seriously. Do yourself a favo ...more
Melijo Anthony Chan
*“ I shall be happy when men shall say about me what they said of Blake: “he is a mad man”.*

Gibran romanticized nature and found in it an inspirational power for his poetry. He identified the divine essence with the natural world and established a mystical union with nature, a relationship of love and harmony.
Allween D costa
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the book, I bought after, I got obsessed with The Prophet. Believe me it is a treasure. Its a book with life, The wisdom and thoughts it holds is explosive, It will uplift you break you make you stare into naked truth, Transform the way you think for ever and throw a light on life of humankind and give you a feel of the mind of a mystic. A must read book for deep thinkers.
Charles
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Great collection of the 'prophets' writings, the only down side is that as thick as it is it is too thin.
Rah~ri
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children all.

I think,
his writings
are gently soporific for me.
such an ebb and flow,
a rhythmic rocking.
A sense of calm for a haring mind,
engaging heart and soul
as they are read.

This book in hand
is older than any i can find on this site
beaten and battered long before it came my way.
has an old inscription inside,
a gift of love given long ago.

the giver tells their favorite pieces.
most folks who know his writings have one or two.
the book the prophet is known well
and well loved by many.

My own cravings tonight
br
Farah
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This contains almost everything ever written by Kahlil Gibran, short stories and poems. My all time favorite is Broken Wings, which I can read over and over again without getting tired of it.
Bonnie
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is pure inspiration. A man with the heart and soul of a poet and prophet...the loveliest of marriages.
ZaRi
In truth, The Prophet is a work of such universal appeal that there is little to be gained from speculating on the identity of persons or places represented in it. For Gibran's purpose was a lofty one, and his belief in the 'unity of being', which led him to call for universal fellowship and the unification of the human race, is a message which retains its potency today as do the messages of all great poets. Inspired by his experiences in a country far from the land of his origins, he strove to ...more
Julia
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a series of Gibran's many poetic masterpieces.
gibran touches on the human Condition in many of its forms and phases with such majestic prose. His philosophical and spiritual expressions of love and life are biblical and prophetic.
I would recommend reading "The Nature
of Love" first(but not necessary)as this is a study of Kahlil Gibran's philosophy and Life,a native Lebonese and much of his work translated from Arabic.
jose
A book to quiet the ego

Many have read th r prophet, yet it wasn't till I had read more than just his most famous work did I truly get a sense of how powerful his writing was and is today. This book will have you questioning your movements through not just your own journey but that of the journeys of those whom you interact with most, especially your children.
Kandice
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the things he writes are so topical, no matter when and where they are set. Other ideas...pretty Utopian and unrealistic. I think that most of the people that really "grooved" on hsi writings in the 60's, 70's were probably a little high on more than life, but it was still nice to listen to.
Rima
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A literary and philosophical genius. A book in my families possession for years - that i discovered when i hit my 20s. Not a front to back read - but a definate source of inspiration.. Specially in winter - on a cosy sofa- fireplace cat and all.
Deepak S
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books
What a contemplation it brings?.....Beauty
Melissa
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Beautifully crafted masterpieces...
Gary
I have read a number of Gibran's books & have always wanted to read this one. Amazing!
Isti Bani
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
suratnya gitu ya. pukpuk
Jayanth Akali
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best philosophical /poetic works I have read...in times of pain I always go back to Gibran...
Wynnie
Feb 07, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I need to organize notes on what I've read by Kahlil Gibran. Will update this when I flip through and see which books exactly I've read.
Shennandoah
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He shows the tragic and the beautiful elements of humanity through poetry and prose. He is a poet and a philosopher with a true gift.
Katsumi
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is a gem that will make a great bedside read every now and then, a great companion in one's life journey, and a treasure to keep as one embarks on a journey inward.
Amber Rose
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gibran's poetry always warm up my soul and heart.
Alan Smith
Mar 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, guys, I never really got the Kahlil Gibran thing. Sure, I know it's soothing and heartwarming and elegantly written spaghetti bolognaise for the soul and all, but... I found myself laughing in places the author never intended, and falling asleep over the rest of it. If Gibran's writing truly brings comfort to you, then I truly wish you the best and apologize for my levity, but what has to be said has to be said.

However, for those that love the work of this highly regarded (in certain cir
Hasan
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: khalil-gibran
“How wonderful the treasure beneath God’s throne which only poet’s tongues can unlock”! (Al-Hadith)

Treasury of Khalil Gibran is translated from Arabic by Anthony Rizcallah Ferris. In this book Gibran Muses over beautiful and not the ugly. Over the system and not the crime (as the reader can clearly read in Book - 3 “The Criminal”). I am very disturbed by his love for ‘Death’. His love for tears as well as his deep sincere affection for death. Like Beethoven’s deathless music, of which the compos
Mouna Bibi
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading all Gibran's books in English at my school's library, I shall state that reading for Gibran is a mystic experience. It gave me heavenly vibes.
Concisely, it is a meditation on life, death, divinity, spirituality, materialism, internationalism,...
It is indeed thought provoking. He awakens your mind, shelters your body, and hugs your soul.
I have never read anything similar to his writings.
Kahlil Gibran is a Prophet to Literature.
Rachael Booth
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book in the world - and one that I give as a gift often. I'm not a religious person at all but the philosophy of Gibran in this book is the most memorable thing I've ever read and one that I hold dear.
Jessica Zu
another representative of new age spirituality: maybe it's not so new age anyway--every generation thinks they found spirituality.
  • The Raven and Other Favorite Poems
  • Myths of Greece and Rome
  • Ain't I a Woman! A Book of Women's Poetry from Around the World
  • Dictionary of Mythology
  • Fields of Honor: Pivotal Battles of the Civil War
  • Harvard Classics:  Five Foot Bookshelf
  • The Masnavi: Book One
  • Out of My Life and Thought (Schweitzer Library)
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • The Spirit of Reiki
  • The Book of Mirdad: The Strange Story of a Monastery Which Was Once Called the Ark
  • Love: Ten Poems
  • Creative Mind and Success (Dover Empower Your Life)
  • Savage Love
  • East-West Divan
  • The Poet's Guide to Life: The Wisdom of Rilke (Modern Library)
  • Good Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
Kahlil Gibran ( Arabic: جبران خليل جبران ) was a Lebanese-American artist, poet, and writer.
Born in the town of Bsharri in modern-day Lebanon (then part of Ottoman Mount Lebanon), as a young man he emigrated with his family to the United States where he studied art and began his literary career. In the Arab world, Gibran is regarded as a literary and political rebel. His romantic style was at th
More about Kahlil Gibran...

Gibran's Treasury (3 books)
  • A Second Treasury of Kahlil Gibran
  • A Third Treasury of Kahlil Gibran

“Have mercy on me, my Soul.
You have shown me Beauty,
But then concealed her.
You and Beauty live in the light;
Ignorance and I are bound together in the dark.
Will e'er the light invade darkness?

Your delight comes with the Ending,
And you revel now in anticipation;
But this body suffers with the life
While in life.
This, my Soul, is perplexing.

You are hastening toward Eternity,
But this body goes slowly toward perishment.
You do not wait for him,
And he cannot go quickly.
This, my Soul, is sadness.

You ascend high, though heaven's attraction,
But this body falls by earth's gravity.
You do not console him,
And he does not appreciate you.
This, my Soul, is misery.

You are rich in wisdom,
But this body is poor in understanding.
You do not compromise,
And he does not obey.
This, my Soul, is extreme suffering.

In the silence of the night you visit The Beloved
And enjoy the sweetness of His presence.
This body ever remains,
The bitter victim of hope and separation.
This, my Soul, is agonizing torture.
Have mercy on me, my Soul!”
34 likes
“Jesus was not sent here to teach the people to build magnificent churches and temples amidst the cold wretched huts and dismal hovels. He came to make the human heart a temple, and the soul an altar, and the mind a priest.” 27 likes