Start by marking “Wild Food” as Want to Read:
Wild Food

Wild Food

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Ray Mears has travelled the world to see how native people manage to live on just what nature provides. What's always frustrated him is not knowing how our own ancestors fed themselves--and what we could learn about our own diet. We know they were hunter-gatherers, but noone has been able to tell what they ate day to day. How did they find their calories, week in week out ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Food

Iset
This is a book I’ve wanted to read for some time, since watching the television programme of the same name that this accompanies; featuring stunning cinematography and the bushcraft know-how of Ray Mears in collaboration with the specialist knowledge of my colleague Gordon Hillman. I have to start out by echoing what other reviewers have pointed out and saying that I have the hardback edition of this book and it definitely could have used better editing. Words run into each other, typos, the occ ...more
Emma Cooper
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I’ve got the hardback edition, although a paperback has subsequently been published. I only hope they spent more time editing the text for the paperback, because the hardback text is littered with sentences that don’t end and words that run into each other. It doesn’t make for easy reading at times. The photos are good, though, and a real plus point.

The book is divided into two sections. In the first, Ray Mears looks at existing hunter gatherer communities and tries to extrapolate what life migh
Brigid
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not written/edited terribly well at all..good to have a flick through I guess. Was sort of expecting a wild food type guide but this isn't really one of them - section with plants grouped by families was of some help though.

Occasionally really, really condescending / racist tone taken when writing about Australian Aboriginal/ indigenous people -

'...problems that exist with other indigenous groups around the world, which also have an instinctive desire for plentiful fat and sugar, and so are tem
Kim Annabella
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Combining two of my favourite things, ray mears & food.

Ray Mears is a real man in a world of insipid youths. He builds fire with his bare hands, you can drop him anyplace in the world & have him survive plus he is entirely affable & charming. I like to fantasize that ray & I live on a deserted island in a house he built out of coconut palms. He makes spoons all day while I sunbathe. It's going terribly well.

My only complaints about this book is that there aren't enough photo's
Jack Bates
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this as part of my research for something I was writing. I'd watched the series (and loved it, OMG, Ray and Gordon, best team ever) and the book is equally fascinating. If you've ever wondered where your hunter-gatherer ancestors got their carbs, this explores the possibilities.
*spends several weeks processing acorns*
Marie
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
peh irrelevant for here. Nothing new really. Rural Australia and rural england are poles apart. They have rural greenery and in a real emergency looting, here, we are just a long way from anywhere with the worst soil in the world. Nope I dont recommend looting by the way (for the kiddies at home)
Rachel
Jun 06, 2009 is currently reading it
by Ray Mears AND Gordon Hillman
Jack
Sep 24, 2008 rated it liked it
difficult read, good to flick through
Christine Allen