Start by marking “Bridge to Terabithia” as Want to Read:
Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  508,963 ratings  ·  14,680 reviews
Jess Aarons' greatest ambition is to be the fastest runner in his grade. He's been practicing all summer and can't wait to see his classmates' faces when he beats them all. But on the first day of school, a new girl boldly crosses over to the boys' side and outruns everyone.

That's not a very promising beginning for a friendship, but Jess and Leslie Burke become inseparable
Published January 1st 1996 by Trumpet Club Special Edition (first published October 21st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge to Terabithia, please sign up.
Cassidy The best part of this book is Jess and Leslie's friendship. More specifically, the important impact that it has on Jess's life in the end of the book.…moreThe best part of this book is Jess and Leslie's friendship. More specifically, the important impact that it has on Jess's life in the end of the book. The fact that Leslie is such a positive presence is the reason Jess is able to cope with the horrible troubles he is faced with in the end of the book. Also, as a whole, this book doesn't have any one dimensional characters. For example Jess's teacher and bully both have their own hardships that they are also trying to overcome. (less)

·  508,963 ratings  ·  14,680 reviews

Start your review of Bridge to Terabithia
Elaine
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
When I read this in fourth grade, I loved it because it was enchanting, and reminded me very much of 'secret hideouts' I made with friends at the same age. When I read it again later in life, aloud to my younger brother and sister ages 10 and 12, I was choking back tears to keep reading aloud, and they were crying. If you've never read it (or, I suppose now, seen the movie) beware, this review is a spoiler! What I have learned from this book is that our assumptions about children and what is "ap ...more
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
You would think that even after seeing the movie and knowing how this ends I wouldn't cry, but here I am.
This book was very enjoyable! I can't remember if I read it as a kid, but it was definitely worth reading now that I'm older.
The writing is pretty and gives you a very country-vibe with vibrant imagery and cozy settings, but I felt like the characters lacked a lot of description. Maybe it’s a children’s book and i’m not used to the shorter pace, but it felt like a lot more needed to be flesh
Reading_ Tamishly
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My damn heart is broken 😭😭😭😭😭😭

This book broke my heart and left me in tears when I finished up reading it. And I was not expecting it to be this sad and devastating in the end as I went into this children's classic blindly.

The story tells about the blooming friendship between two kids, Jesse Aarons, and his new neighbour, Leslie Burke, two lonely kids. Jess being the only male child in his family and expected to take care of errands and his sisters; Leslie being an outcast and bullied at school.
Julie G ("Doctor, my eyes!"  Offline for a week)
Quick update from 2/19/22: We finally watched the movie (2007) they made of this classic. We enjoyed it immensely, and I love the visual magic they brought to the world of Terabithia. I'm happy to report, though, that it was not the sob fest for us that the book was. I found the movie a lot easier to bear than the written story.

Original review:
I'm heading out into the backyard now, in the dark, with a flashlight, a shovel, and my paperback copy of The Bridge to Terabithia. I'm going to be carefu
Elizabeth
Oct 25, 2006 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
thefourthvine
Jun 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-teen
This is one of the books that taught me that Books Can Hurt. It was part of what I now consider to be my fourth grade teacher's reign of terror - she read Where the Red Fern Grows and Bridge to Terabithia out loud to us (and those are just the books I was in her class for), and I seriously think she did it for the days when, inevitably, the entire class would spend the afternoon weeping at our desks.

That said, though - and it needed to be said - this is a good book; it was so engaging to me at t
Alejandro
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, drama
This is absolutely a great book. I loved to read it!

I don't know if you ever watch the film from 2007, if you do, but you haven't read the book, I can tell you that the movie is a good adaptation BUT it can mislead you in the "fantasy" factor, even I used that label in my review but only because, at this moment, I don't have a better label to describe the book in a fair way.

I tell you all that since in the film, they gave a lot of emphasis and screen time to all "those magic creatures", however,
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Even when I was 12, I thought this was a crap book.

What's with all the hype? This was so fucking boring. I read this in 6th grade, during a time when I was prone to sobbing at anything. We watched Ben Hur in class and I cried like a baby. I don't even remember why.

We read Where the Red Fern Grows aloud in class and I was sobbing in front of everyone. I didn't shed a single fucking tear for this book.
Steven Brown
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't see how a middle grade book can do this to somebody. ...more
D.M. Dutcher
Apr 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Kirk
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
There are only two books that have made me cry. Granted, I was in sixth grade when I read this for the first time. But like most books I review on Goodreads, I sat down to read this again before posting my review. My sentiments about Bridge to Terabithia haven't changed much.

I don't remember a lot from my pre-teen years. Little fragments crop up from time to time when I see an old commercial on Youtube or I play an 8-bit classic on my Wii. This book I remember. And as I re-read it I started reca
Jon
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Matt
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
Needing a short book before beginning another major reading challenge, I turned to this piece by Katherine Paterson. It’s one I enjoyed in upper elementary, though many of the details have slipped my mind, which makes a re-read all the more justifiable. Jess Aarons is eager to begin the fifth grade. He hopes to finally be able to call himself the fastest boy in school, having risen early to practice all summer long. When a new family moves in next door, Jess is curious to see what to make of the ...more
ReadAlongWithSue [Catching-Up]
I read this for Middle Grade March.
I’d never heard of this one before it was recommended to me.
It’s a very sad poignant story. Grief.

It’s magical and mystical in parts.

The ending caught me off guard. Yes, there was tears.
Sara
Jun 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was time for him to pay back to the world in beauty and caring what Leslie had loaned him in vision and strength.

Ha, I just finished this book in a puddle, which surprised me, because I have read it before. I read it with my youngest granddaughter, when she was about eight, and I don’t remember if I cried then, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

It is a beautiful, sweet, poignant story. So perfect for a young person , or apparently for an old one. It was on a list of banned books.

“ Bridge To Terabit
Ahmad Sharabiani
Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson
Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom in their imaginations. It was written by Katherine Paterson and was published in 1977 by Thomas Crowell. In 1978, it won the Newbery Medal. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when her son's friend was struck dead by lightning.
In the novel, Paterson illustrates the life of an artistic young
Thom
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Bridge to Terabithia -

I'm a grown man and I cried the duration of the last fifty pages. I gave this book five stars, here's why:

It is absolutely incredible that a writer can invent a character, and bring him to life so convincingly that we find some of our deepest emotions aroused when we read black words on a white page. I was amazed at how deeply I felt towards some the characters in this book...fictional characters!

Character development is absolutely masterful in Bridge to Terabithia. It is
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
”You never know ahead of time what something’s really going to be like”

BtT
(Cropped from the paperback cover illustration: Puffin Books, 2015)

Yes, I cried so much I couldn’t properly see to finish the last chapter.

I clearly remember watching the movie back in 2007, the rich imagined world and that adventure Leslie and Jess created for themselves. But for the life of me I could not remember how it all ended. So I grabbed the book of my shelf and decided to find out.
Now I know that I mentally blocked
Rob
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Jim
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I've seen this book on various lists for years, I never got around to reading it & had no clue what it was about. I was in the Army when it was published. I know one or two of my kids read it, but it was one of the rare books that I didn't at least skim. (I think my wife read it, instead.) When I first started listening to it this morning, I didn't really get into it at first. It's well written, but wasn't really my thing. Still, it was short & I've been meaning to get around to it, so I k ...more
Jessica
A lovely book that has stood the test of time.

2020: Read this aloud to the kids as it's on the Battle of the Books list this year for my daughter. I had forgotten how much is covered in such a slim book, yet how fast it goes. Also the casual cruelty of both Jess's family and bullies at school, not to mention how Leslie and Jess retaliate. Interesting.
jv poore
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this when I was very young (thanks, Julie!). I couldn't remember particulars of the story, but the impact of the book never left me.

Currently in a re-reading phase, I was curious to see how I would feel about the book now.....more than 30 years after it was first published. To say that "it has stood the test of time" would be a disservice. And the impact? To borrow from @ericsmithrocks: "ugly crying".

Knowledge, in this case, was not power. It still felt like a punch-to-the-gu
Denise
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lines I loved:

Lark Creek was the backwash of fashion. It took them a long time to accept there what everyone could see by their TV’s was OK anywhere else.

It made Jess ache inside to watch his dad grab the little ones to his shoulder, or lean down and hug them. It seemed to him that he had been thought too big for that since the day he was born.

It was the beginning of a new season in his life, and he chose deliberately to make it so.

Gary Fulcher could go to you-know-where and warm his toes.

Even a
J. Aleksandr Wootton
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'd been resolutely avoiding this book ever since I was a child.

It was often recommended in the same breath as Where the Red Fern Grows, and although I could tell from the description of Bridge to Terabithia that I would probably like it, as a 9-(ish?)-year-old I'd been devastated by Where the Red Fern Grows and couldn't bear another nostalgic book of heartbreaking loss.

Fast-forward over a decade of successful book avoidance, and I'm watching the 2007 film adaptation in the theater and crying si
Madeline
Feb 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Annie
Dec 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-reads
God why have I only read this now? I love it so much, every single bit of it!
Julie
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching story that took me back to a place of imagination from my own childhood. The author took me on a journey of memory, imagination and eventual transformation while feeling a myriad of emotions. Wonderful narration by Robert Sean Leonard whose name and voice I recognized from the medical TV series, "House."

My favorite passages come from Jesse's dawning realization of Leslie's impact on his life, as he transitions through various emotions and reaches understanding and acceptance:

"She had
Tatevik is on semi hiatus (trying to finish PHD)
When I was at school, I was invisible, a girl with bushy hair with her nose in the books to be mocked and teased. Then I grew up to understand that it's good to be different, that blending in is not the only way out. I wish I understood it from the beginning.

As for the terrors ahead - for he did not fool himself that they were all behind him - well, you just have to stand up to your fear and not let it squeeze you white. Right, Leslie?
Right.
Jerecho
A world created by the mind. A nice story for children and children like. Almost same with the movie but still it's nice to imagine the world in the words.

A 3stars rating for life is not sometimes all imagination we have to face reality what it is.
Loretta
Enjoyable enough but was bummed that I figured out the ending before I got there. 😕
EDUTL 7343: Week 3 Free Choice rated 4 stars 1 3 Sep 21, 2022 10:44AM

• Holes (Holes, #1)
  • Number the Stars
  • Where the Red Fern Grows
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • Tuck Everlasting
  • Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1)
  • Charlotte's Web
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • Matilda
  • The BFG
  • Island of the Blue Dolphins
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • A Light in the Attic
  • The Lorax
  • The Secret Garden
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends
See top shelves…
From author's website:

People are always asking me questions I don't have answers for. One is, "When did you first know that you wanted to become a writer?" The fact is that I never wanted to be a writer, at least not when I was a child, or even a young woman. Today I want very much to be a writer. But when I was ten, I wanted to be either a movie star or a missionary. When I was twenty, I wanted t

Articles featuring this book

Ever get just plain worn out? Yeah, us too. Quite frankly, the 21st century has been a lot more stressful than we were hoping. Sometimes you...
“It's like the smarter you are, the more things can scare you.” 273 likes
“You have to believe it and you hate it. I don't have to and I think it's beautiful.” 211 likes