Start by marking “While My Eyes Were Closed” as Want to Read:
While My Eyes Were Closed

While My Eyes Were Closed

One, two, three . . .

Lisa Dale shuts her eyes and counts to one hundred during a game of hide-and-seek. When she opens them, her four-year-old daughter Ella is gone. Disappeared without a trace. The police, the media and Lisa's family all think they know who snatched Ella. But what if the person who took her isn't a stranger? What if they are convinced they are doing the
Published January 28th 2016 by Quercus (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about While My Eyes Were Closed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about While My Eyes Were Closed

Dem
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
There seems to have been a lot Novels published in the last six months with child abduction or child disappearances as the main theme and while I have read a few of these novels I am now tiring of the theme. I sometimes wonder if publishers encourage or set themes for novels which they think match the current market trends, last year it seemed to be titles containing the word girl and this year it seems to be books about missing children.

While my eyes were closed was fast paced and engaging. I
Susan
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a psychological thriller which concerns every parent’s worst nightmare – a child going missing. Lisa Dale is pretty typical of most mothers, juggling various different commitments and a busy working life with motherhood. Married to Alex, Lisa has an older daughter, Chloe, by a previous relationship and two younger children, Otis and Ella.

Daughter Ella is a bright and cheerful four year old. It is nearly the end of the summer holidays and she is due to start Reception the following week,
Karen
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Busy mum Lisa Dale is distracted by a phone call and takes her eyes off her 4 year old daughter Ella, for just a few minutes whilst they are in the park and then the worst happened. Ella disappears. At first Lisa thought she was playing hide and seek but then when time passed she had to face the inevitable – that Ella had wandered off and got lost or the worst thing imaginable – someone had taken her.

This was my first book by Linda Green. I do love a thriller and although there have been a pleth
Bookread2day
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must buy must read. One of the best novels that I have read. Every reader who likes reading novels full of suspense should read While my eyes were closed by Linda Green.
I found it very hard not to cry while reading this book. Every word, every sentence, every page is very touching. This moving story is about a mother and her four year daughter playing hide and seek, When Ella goes missing. But who has taken little Ella and why?
Liz Barnsley
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
While My Eyes Were Closed is an interesting and slightly different take on the plethora of missing child books there are around – in that it is very focused on cause and effect, on the fallout to the family, on the wider aspects rather than on “whodunnit” – I found this refreshing especially as Linda Green managed to make it thought provoking and interesting throughout.

It is a fast read in that you really want to keep going to find out what ultimately happens – this is more character study and s
Joodith
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I love a good psychological thriller – a book that has you so drawn in you resent having to put it down for even a second. This isn't it, despite the promise of a “vivid and unnerving story about the terrifying knife-edges of motherhood”......to explain:

Lisa, mother of three young children, fitness trainer at a local gym, is playing hide and seek in the park with her youngest child, four year old Ella. Ella disappears. This is not a spoiler, it's stated on the back cover. The search begins when
Dawn
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Dale and Ella her three four year old daughter are enjoying an afternoon in the park. Ella wanting firstly, to show how she can climb to the top of the big slide on her own and secondly, to prolong the trip by playing her favourite game of hide and seek.

Lisa, like many mums is juggling a working life with that of being a mum. Linda Green with very little text gives an inkling as to why Lisa is so driven to do well for herself and provide for her family. Growing up on the wrong side of town,
Charlotte Ashcroft
Heart wrenching with a good ending 😊
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: three-star
There appears to have been a flurry of missing child themed books in the last year or two; perhaps this is because of the renewed public interest in such real life cases.

Although this novel features some heavily cliched and overly exaggerated characters (chiefly, the harassed working mother who despite her good intentions, can appear too slapdash in her childcare, the elderly deluded spinster and the family support liaison officer who appears to do little else but make tea) this is an entirely
Tracy Fenton
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really gripping and uncomfortable story about a 4 year old girl being abducted whilst playing hide and seek with her mother in the park. Switching between the mothers story to the abductors point of view this book is a sad and thought provoking tale. I shall endeavour to pay more attention to my children from now on. 4 stars.
Leah
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psychological thrillers are the "in thing" at the moment - every author is giving it a go, some with more success than others, and Linda Green has made the switch, with the release of her new novel While My Eyes Were Closed. I got myself a copy from the library, and I was immediately gripped. This is one of those books where there's definitely two sides to the story, and even now I am still questioning how I felt about it all, because it wasn't necessarily black & white. There were shades of ...more
Tracy Shephard
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What starts as a trip to the park, turns into Lisa’s worst nightmare when Ella, her daughter goes missing during a game of hide and seek.

The following seven days sees the family devastated that the four year old could have been abducted by a local man who is known to be on the sex offenders register.

While in reality my thoughts would always be with the parents of a missing child, Greens novel had me in a quandary as to whose ‘side’ I was on.

How Linda Green placed herself in the mind of the abduc
Misfits farm
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lisa plays hide and seek in the park with her 4 year old daughter, Ella. Whilst she is " counting to 100", her phone rings and she takes the call. When she finishes she can't find Ella. Oh another missing child book I hear you say. There does appear to be a plethera of them about. This one draws you in and is very well written. The characters come to life and are very believeable, even the perpitrator. This is one with a different type of kidnapper , written so that you can see how they are thin ...more
Lyndall Rae
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own

This one had a slow start and I found it hard to follow to begin with because there were like, 10 characters introduced within the first 30 pages :/ but it definitely got better as it went along. Without giving anything away, Muriel's character was super creepy!! And I enjoyed the twist at the end - even though the whole book wasn't all that mysterious and unexpected; I really wasn't expecting that twist!
V Nerd
Oh my goodness, this is every mothers nightmare!

Imagine you take your little girl to the park to play, she is only 4 years old, and her favourite thing to do while you are there is to play Hide-and-Seek.

You are the person hiding, and she finds you, but wants one more go so that she gets to hide too, "just one more go Mummy, don't forget to count to 100, and make sure you close your eyes!"

One...

Two....

....

.....

One Hundred......................................

Only you can't find her, even when you
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
4.5 stars.

While My Eyes Were Closed felt like a very different take on story lines to do with a child going missing.

Lisa, Ella's mother, surprisingly is quite strong throughout the time her daughter is missing. She has a few break downs but mainly her and her husband handle the whole situation a lot better than I think I ever could. The couple obviously have a very strong relationship and are certainly very united.

I think having her daughter go missing makes Lisa totally re evaluate her whole l
Sandra
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing. certainly not mail biting thrilling as mentioned in the synopsis

Finding out what's happened to Ella from the very start takes away any real tension. You know from the outset what the conclusion will be

Wouldn't recommend this at all
carol sherlock
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book

Good God what a book and more so what a author.Gripping writing totally believable , a heart wrenching story , brilliant plot and I can't wait to read more from this author , linda green you were born to write !
Marina
Good read but way too many „like“‘s in the writing. Very annoying. Otherwise good story.
Rachel Gilbey
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book features what must be every single parent's worst nightmare - turning on back just for a moment and your child has disappeared. For Lisa Dale that is exactly what happens and the book focuses on how she and her family cope in the aftermath of four year old Ella not being found during a game of Hide and Seek.

What we get as readers though is also chapters from the person who has taken Ella, which as the story proceeds becomes slightly disturbing. They have in their own mind valid reason
Jamie Rose
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was ok, not sure what makes a spoiler as the main point of the plot is laid out on the cover . A child or adult going missing is indeed terrifying. This is why most parents with a brain keep a close eye on their pre school age children. Hide and seek isn't really a sensible game in a busy, public park...

That and the irritating first person narrative, putting a smoker in merely to include a pointless antismoking whinge, made this a two instead of three star novel.
Sophie
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4.5

While My Eyes Were Closed is nail-bitingly tense from the first few pages. For those opening few chapters, this novel is extremely suspenseful and I was hooked. You know something bad is going to happen and you know how it is going to happen but you don’t know why and that is the question that lured me into the book. Why would someone snatch this innocent little girl and what were their motives?

I found the author’s style of writing to be sharp and quick and the book from start to finish is d
Camilla Chester
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was ok, but it didn't hold my attention.

The writing was good, at times, but the story falls into a saturated market and doesn't pack the punch that is needed in a good thriller.

For me, because you knew what was happening to the little girl there wasn't really any terror, which meant that the chapters with the mother were a little redundant and at times quite repetitive.

I enjoyed the backstory of the crazy piano lady more and didn't expect the twist.

The ending was a little r
Kirsty Monteith
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Although parts of the story are really sad and the author obviously went to great lengths to portray the emotions of the main characters I found this SO BORING. The start was boring. . The middle was boring.. and the end was crazy boring. Started to skim to get to the end. Wouldn't really class it as a thriller either as there is no real mystery or suspense.. although I do appreciate the author has tried to show emotion.. but nah.. not for me.
Nick Davies
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
For the first half of this, I was developing an opinion along the lines of 'well, this is decently written, but nothing significantly impressive to elevate it much about the level of family drama', the plot being a relatively simple tale of a mother losing sight of her young daughter, who goes missing. This seemed pretty simply chosen to appeal to the sentiments of a great many parents hating to imagine themselves in the same situation. It developed slowly, the story told via a few different poi ...more
Lizzie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I couldn't give this book 5 stars because of the start. At the beginning there was irrelevant conversation which made the story seem flat and events that were meant to be dramatic not. As the book progressed I enjoyed it more and more. I anticipated most of the events expect two major ones. Even though it wasn't a thriller for me overall I enjoyed the story and it was well played out. I liked the characters and it was also one of the easiest books I've ever read so I didn't feel like I missed an ...more
Claire
I had expected more of this thriller. The book was good, but not extraordinary. A lot of the mystery was gone after some pages, so maybe that explains my disappointement: it was not really a suspenseful book as I expected.
However: it gave a broad and interesting view on things that surround child abduction, grief and loss. I should have read it with a different hat on:-)
Gorana Gogach
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars!
Rachael
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book to read and review via Goodread Giveaways. This review contains some spoilers for the early chapters of the book.

Lisa is just a normal mum with a loving husband and three kids, but one day while she is playing hide and seek at the park with her youngest daughter Ella, the four-year-old goes missing. Ella falls over while running to find a hiding place and grazes her hands. Lisa suggests they go home but the little girl really wants her go to hide so Lisa goes
Lynda Kelly
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is a terrific book. Funny, sad and very well written and keeps you turning the pages dying to know what happens next. At one point my jaw hit the floor-a real shocker I hadn't seen coming. So it has a bit of everything-just perfect.
The Yorkshire dialect was a bit of an issue for me. They keep missing the from sentences which I thought were mistakes till she addressed it at the end. AND they keep adding like to the end of their speech which drove me to distraction. I think I'd have preferred
Thriller fans: Maandboek - Ik tel tot tien 31 38 Oct 21, 2017 10:25AM

• Where The Truth Lies
  • Blood Ties
  • They All Fall Down (Scott Carluccio Randall, #1)
  • Beneath the Surface (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #2)
  • The Long Fall
  • The Shout
  • Cry Baby (Callum Doyle #4)
  • Gone (Gardner and Freeman, #2)
  • Meltwater (Fire & Ice, #3)
  • The Confusion of Karen Carpenter
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • The Summer House
  • Breaking Point (Crashers #2)
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • Forever Is Over
  • Broken Silence (Inspector Jack Brady, #1)
  • Burial
  • The Accidental Time Traveller
I was born in North London in 1970 and brought up in Hertfordshire. I wrote my first novella, the Time Machine, aged eight, shortly after which I declared that my ambition was to have a novel published (I could have been easy on myself and just said ‘to write a novel’ but no, I had to consign myself to years of torture and rejections). I was frequently asked to copy out my stories for the classroo ...more
“It is warmth and comfort and safety. A smell of mothers.” 2 likes
“She is not an attractive crier. Few children are. Matthew was an exception. He cried so elegantly.” 1 likes