Start by marking “The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)

The Last Guardian

(WarCraft #3)

In the mist-shrouded haze of the past, long before the beginning of recorded time, there stood the world of Azeroth. Every kind of magical being strode the countryside among the tribes of man, and all was at peace—until the arrival of the demons and horrors of the Burning Legion and their baneful Lord Sargeras, dark god of chaotic magic. Now Dragons, Dwarves, Elves, ...more
Published December 1st 2001 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about The Last Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Guardian

Start your review of The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
Markus
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2015, warcraft
All the shards, all the pieces of history, known and unrevealed, spiraled down the tower or rose from its dungeons and flowed into the man who had been the Last Guardian of Tirisfal. The pain was great, but Medivh grimaced and accepted it, taking the energy and the bittersweet memories it bore with equal measure.

Anduin Lothar, Llane Wrynn, Garona Halforcen, Gul'dan the Warlock and Medivh himself. I've finally met some of the greatest legends of the Warcraft universe!

A lone young apprentice is
Dottie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Just walking through the lives of Medivh and Khadgar was super exciting, especially if you play a mage or love Karazhan. I felt like I was there along with them through their adventures. There was never a dull moment. I would definitely recommend this book. ...more
Mohammad Hossein
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really missed when World of Warcraft had great story and lore, rereading this made me go back to those days
Nichole * The Book Shredder
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
For WoW Lore lovers, this will be a fantastic book. For those of you who might not love the lore as much but are still interested in it, you might like this. For those of you who just want to read a fantasy book, I would not recommend it. I love WoW's lore therefore, I enjoyed this book a lot. I'd give it 3.5 stars considering it's not the best Warcraft book I've read but if I have to choose from 3 to 4 stars, I choose 4. The book can be slow at times but if you truly love lore, you will enjoy ...more
John Da Cruz
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
First off, and I don't know if this is true of all editions, there are an unforgivable number of spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes in this book. I don't know what kind of editing or proof-reading this thing went through, but I know it wasn't very good.

Once you get that past that, the story itself is actually quite serviceable. It is interesting to see a very early look at the Warcraft lore, because, yes, the lore here is still very much in its infancy with a lot of the Warcraft arcana
Dustin
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. For years I've known the basic summary of what and who Medivh and Aegwynn were. Karazhan was my first raid in World of Warcraft. Now it is all clear. The last few paragraphs were really interesting. I wonder if that particular story will ever be continued.
Roman Kurys
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is it. The grand finale of this Warcraft trilogy.

Exactly 33 books ago I finished the "Day of the Dragon" which was the beginning of my Warcraft adventure and now it is time to wrap up with "The Last Guardian."

I have always been fascinated with Medivh and Khadgar from playing World of Warcraft, so this story was very welcome. I am not sure how those who never played Warcraft 3 of WOW will perceive this book, I would think it might not make for a very fun read in that case. I, however,
Matt
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Last Guardian is an odd book. I'm not sure someone who hasn't played World of Warcraft would find it interesting as a stand alone fantasy story. For any WoW player however, especially those who have been inside Karazhan within the game, it's a fascinating look inside the lonely tower. Jeff Grub has done a delightful job expanding on the lore of the characters and the strange tower. Which is impressive, as the novel was written years before the dungeon appeared in-game. WowWiki has a section ...more
Branaugh
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Last Guardian is a fantastic book, well written with great description and a plot that holds your attention to the very end. It also has some fascinating takes on magic, which are very useful to those who enjoyed the Warcraft video game series, as well as the popular MMORPG, World of Warcraft. I personally found myself underlining some of the text for later use. Anyone who enjoys Warcraft, or simply a good fantasy novel, should read this book.
Daley
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy lover and World of Warcraft gamers
Recommended to Daley by: Phoenix
The beginning confused me, but after the prologue and first chapter, I was sold. The story was great and it keeps you at a distance until the end. The only thing that I would change or add to it is that I would have loved to know even more about Khadgar. I read the entire book in about a day. I couldn't put it down. Wonderful book.
Sam 8-3
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Warcraft fans
i dont know why but this is my favorite warcraft book. I just got sucked into the book. and i read it in a short while!
Victoria Chandria ☽ Austen
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect a Warcraft book to make me cry but it did....
Deathseekerr
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Medivh FeelsBadMan
Alyssa
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blizzard
This book was really well written and I liked the subject. I didn't know anything about Medivh, his mother, Khadgar, or why Sargeras and the Burning Legion did what they did.
Gyuri Lakatos
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is quite short compared to other fantasy books i read and i feel that it suffers from it. It felt more like a frame than a real fleshed out story. I was not able to immerse into the world or say that i got to know any of the characters any better. For me it was short story to a piece of Warcraft Lore that was known. I did not add intricate detail that im expecting from a book, instead i got a story i knew in a book form. Not much was added, not much changed.
Michael T Bradley
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Yay, I made it through a Warcraft book thanks to Jeff Grubb! I haven't visited Goodreads in a while & I have now forgotten much of this, but suffice it to say:

There's a war that happens in the latter half of the book, but it doesn't impinge upon the story that much. Mostly it's a grumpy old wizard teaching a young prodigy. Things get a little CBS sitcom when an orc shows up - but she's an EMISSARY, not an enemy. WHAAAAAT? Record scratch.

A lot of fun, and some fun twists toward the end. I
Cacophonic7
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
If I could give this book 3.5 stars I probably would have. I love the subject matter, but I felt that something was missing. I wanted to learn more about Medivh's mother and all the Council of Tirisfal itself. However, it was a fun glimpse into what the Guardian of Tirisfal is all about.
Barakiel
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Loved this book. Reminded me of my time in a mage tower when I played Dragon Age :)
Definitely recommend if you love powerful mages, spells and fantasy.
I'm impressed by the quality of these books. I really did not expect the writing to be very good, but it's more than passable.
Joss loves Jace
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it

It's a very good story, several moments in the story are very good.
Tina
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I truly liked this book. Probably the best from the Warcraft series. Now, having read it, I need to go back to mundane reality where I don't have any powers :(
David
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! Gave great insight into one of my favorite raid zones in WoW... Just wish the lower levels were implemented at one point. Medivh is a great character with tons of lore!
Fatih
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I have never liked Medivh anyway...
Mike A
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Very cool and interesting from a lore perspective, but not particularly well-written.
Cole
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I always thought orcs were inherent to Azeroth. I was mistaken. The title of the next WoW expansion, Warlords of Draenor, makes much more sense now.
Brian
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, warcraft
For someone who has spent literally over a year of their life in the World of Warcraft, and for someone whose favorite part of fantasy is the worldbuilding, you'd think I might have put more effort into reading the supplementary material. And you would be wrong. I know about gaming fiction, and I thought I would just end up disappointed.

Well, The Last Guardian is good, so I was wrong.

This book was published after Warcraft III and bridges some of the canon changes between that game and Warcraft
عباد ديرانية
I was very excited, when I got this book in a visit to Montreal, Canada, that I would get to read a Warcraft novel for the first time. Unfortunately though, it actually made me feel sad since it had the potential to be something good (if some little effort was put into it), but in its current state, it is just a moderately bad Warcraft's fiction.

As a loyal fan of the Warcraft franchise, this book, at first, seemed to be gold. It is a fairly well-written account of the events of the First War in
Pedro António Carvalho
4/5*
EN~
So this warcraft book is about the story behind that elusive Mage Medivh and also his apprentice (and one of my favourite characters) Khadgar *insert 'Knowledge is power' catch phrase here* which are too characters that I wanted to know more about.
I had to take a break when I started reading this because I wasn't feeling it but when I picked it up again it was a lot more enjoyable.
Again, it was nice to step into the warcraft universe in a different way, recognizing some of the characters
Netopier
Since there's no option to give 3,5 stars I'm leaning towards the lower rating in behalf of lot of great books I rated with 4 stars and having this one among them would be totally unacceptable.

There's something about this kind of novels based on games that always makes me think: This probaly won't be nothing terrific nor original. And my thoughts was right as always. It never is.

Having written a novel which is set in the universe that wasn't created by the author of the novel is never a good
Kris Veldhuizen
Narissa Markellos
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
*I am reading the World of Warcraft books in the chronological order (or as close to chronological as it gets) as opposed to the written order*

This World of Warcraft novel introduces Medivh and Khadgar, and tells the story of how Khadgar became Medivh's apprentice, and also how the dark portal came to be from the perspective of Azeroth.

As Khadgar is an important figure in-game it was interesting to see his background in this book. I do note that he doesn't seem to be a very powerful mage, yet,
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1)
  • The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 1
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Warcraft: Durotan
  • War Crimes (World of Warcraft, #13)
  • Illidan (World of Warcraft, #14)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 2
He is an author and game designer.