Start by marking “The Art of the Tale: An International Anthology of Short Stories, 1945-1985” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Tale: An International Anthology of Short Stories, 1945-1985

The Art of the Tale: An International Anthology of Short Stories, 1945-1985

The years since World War II have seen an exciting resurgence of the short story. From Albert Camus to William Maxwell, from Amos Oz to R.K. Narayan, from Ann Beattie to Yukio Mishima - this incomparably rich and diverse collection attests to the vigor and excellence of the modern short story throughout the world. Daniel Halpern's marvelous anthology offers not only Europe ...more
Published November 3rd 1987 by Penguin Books (first published 1986)

Alan
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
just realised I reviewed this as the Penguin Book of Internatinal Short stories 1945-85. Here's waht I said:

.. covers a lot of ground and all the usual suspects are there: Marquez, Borges, Singer, Pritchet, Achebe, Boll etc etc, but also some interesting selections I hadn't heard of - Leon Rooke was new to me, as was Leonard Michaels, Juan Rulfo, Luisa Valenzuela (my ignorance), and many stories were new (to me). A quirky selection too I think, going for the less anthologised ones, and obviously
David
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good thing I got through this relatively quickly (I still have Penguin's "The Art of the Story" to trudge through - a more current companion piece of international short stories).

So, out of eighty-one stories, I was almost always approving, somewhat floored, and rarely disappointed. I already know I plan on using this for many future references. Sometimes a flailing read, though rarely, most of the best compilation short story books always eventually pick up their pace. Obviously, this one is n
Blumenthal Molfsee
I love this book. It travels with me, I travel with it, and it's just marvelous. Most of the stories are wonderful views into worlds I couldn't have imagined before. However, there is also the occasional story that conveys something that feels so personal and intrinsic to who I am, but which I could never articulate myself. I move a lot, and most of my books live in storage, but this one tends to travel with me.
Raluca
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this is a good book. I also think that reading it on and off, on my Kindle, over more than half a year, was the wrong way to go, since I remember close to nothing about which stories I liked or not. Very, very close to nothing. I'd like to buy a hard copy and try again, properly.
Alan
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
covers a lot of ground and all the usual suspects are there: Marquez, Borges, Singer, Pritchet, Achebe, Boll etc etc, but also some interesting selections I hadn't heard of - Leon Rooke was new to me, as was Leonard Michaels, Juan Rulfo, Luisa Valenzuela (my ignorance), and many stories were new (to me). A quirky selection too I think, going for the Less anthologised ones, and obviously dated (introdusing a new generation of writers such as Ian McEwan & Tobias Wolf!) but consistently interes ...more
Pam
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-school
Normally, I hate short stories. They always seemed like a waste of time to me, and it takes an exceptional writer to create a good story with so few words. But this was for a class. So I decided to approach it with an open mind. I read the whole book. Every. Single. Story. Even though many of them were subpar. Some authors, in whom I had faith, turned out to be horribly disappointing in this genre. To add the icing smack on top of the cake, my professor never uttered a word about any of them. No ...more
Linda DiMeo Lowman
Five Stars! A satisfying collection of international short stories. It took me a long time to read this because for most of the stories I stopped reading to savor the feelings the story engendered with me as the reader. Also, because the stories are international, it's a dive into worlds unknown that are exotic, tragic, and painful in ways that American stories are not.
Kossiwa
Sep 17, 2012 is currently reading it
Reading for class, but I really like these stories I'm reading; Tobias Wolff's Hunters in the Snow, Margaret Atwood's Hair Jewellery, James Baldwin's Going to the Meet the Man. Going to Meet the Man was an emotional story and I want my stories to be emotional.
Alan Lindsay
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Excellent collection, enjoyed all the stories (but one). Cheap edition, however, newsprint, a few typos. Otherwise it would be five star.
Sunniva
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: study
What I really liked about this collection of short stories is, as it says in the title, it's international. The short stories are translated from all kinds of languages, which makes the most of stories very different from what you are used to from your own culture, regardless of where you are from.

I did find the stories very obscure, usually, and it was sometimes difficult for me to reach an interpretation that I thought made sense after looking at all aspects of the stories. This is a personal
Nik
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an anthology book of Short Stories iv only read a couple,the ones i read where (Fat by Raymond Carver,Communist by Richard Ford and a couple more that i cant find.)I will give a breaf rewive of the short store called Fat, its a short store about a man who is fat and enters a restaraunt and how everyone is staring at him and giving him the odd look but the waitres takes his order and eventualy understand that he is a very nice gentalman and its not his fault he is fat i will stop here bec ...more
Adam
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best anthology of contemporary short stories. The translations are beautiful, and the selection of material is diverse and engaging. Covers such a wonderful list of authors, and is a great introduction to anyone wanting to read short fiction.
Xilks
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
No I did not read the whole book. This was a book required for class. The stories that I did read varied from really good to really boring. I have no strong opinion about this book or recommendations.
Neil
A-Z Project #20
I won't rate this since I didn't finish it, but the first 100 pages were awfully uninspired for an anthology that given its nature should be highly selective. Find a different collection to spend your time on.
Hilary
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good short story & EVERYONE
Recommended to Hilary by: I found it in the library.

"What do I think?"
I think I need to delve into the world of international writers! Of course, I've read books of this nature...I JUST NEED TO READ MORE OF THEM!!!! And this book presents a great catelog in which to start.
Susan Merrell
Nov 05, 2007 is currently reading it
Everyone should read the story Gogol's Wife and then look up the Russian folk tales about the rusalki to see a brilliant use of folk legend...
Annie
Oct 27, 2007 rated it liked it
A nice collection of stories.
Laureen Vonnegut
Dec 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
this is a long one!! but worth it. every story is a gem. classics to modern fiction.
Jeff Jackson
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Single best anthology of short fiction I've run across. Mixes things up with lesser known masterpieces from literary giants and includes many worthy writers often ignored elsewhere.
Christopher
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Advanced Fiction Workshop Goodness
Maxwell
Currently reading for "Art of the Short Story" class in M.F.A. program. My appreciation for this is spotty and will probably not improve.
Shelfari Moved
I read this in Fall 2012 for my EGL 361 Lyric Poetry class with Prof. Rowan Ricardo Phillips, obviously not the whole thing :)
Charles L.
Feb 11, 2018
Jonathan Peto
Jan 17, 2013
OK
rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2018

• The Random House Book of 20th Century French Poetry
  • LATEX: A Document Preparation System: User's Guide and Reference Manual
  • The Ecco Anthology of International Poetry
  • The Latex Companion
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 1: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Fin-de-Siècle to Negritude
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction
  • Learning XML
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • McSweeney's #27
  • The Ecco Anthology of Contemporary American Short Fiction
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Package 2: Volumes C, D, and E
  • The Penguin Book of Russian Poetry
  • Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond
  • The Reincarnated Giant: Twenty-First-Century Chinese Science Fiction
  • The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: Fifty North American Stories Since 1970