Start by marking “Girl in the Shadows (Diamond Files Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Girl in the Shadows (Diamond Files Mystery, #1)

Girl in the Shadows

(Diamond Files Mystery #1)

Abby Silver is a temp secretary with a super memory. When she's assigned to work with an unusual detective, Abby discovers she likes investigative work. No, she loves it. Within a week, she's helping her boss (and his trusty beagle, Chewie) chase down a murder suspect. Literally. Hijinx ensue! ...more
Published January 23rd 2016

To ask other readers questions about Girl in the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in the Shadows

Start your review of Girl in the Shadows (Diamond Files Mystery, #1)
Vicki
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the first of a new series and I know I am going to love it. What can I say? I loved both Derek Diamond and Abby Silver. Derek is a middle aged detective that has been hired to investigate a murder. He needs an assistant for the week and ends up with Abby Silver. She is with the local temp agency.

This murder of Brock Kensington has the police working hard looking for clues. But Derek was working even harder to get ahead of them. From the beginning he knew this murder was not a random ro
Cindy
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun and funny with a spunky young woman with Asbergers syndrome, a beginning-Alzheimer’s gentleman, and a smarter-than-them-both dog (they had me at the pup). Case was interesting and unusual, script was clean and intelligently written (especially for the genre). It’s a YA but holds the interest of readers of any age. Highly recommended for the adventure and a smile. Well narrated by Tiffany Williams.
Megan
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, mystery
My actual rating is probably 3.5 stars.

To begin with I feel like I need to tell you this is not a novel. I don't know why I should need to tell you this, I feel like when you buy a thing to read it should be clearly indicated that you are buying a short story, novella or novel, but for some odd reason this book is the exception to that expectation; it is, in fact, a short novella with a whole other novel attached after it (not in this series, not about these characters, not a cozy mystery so pos
Coco.V
Dec 03, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/03/2017)! 💝
Joan
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Night time 'insomnia' read.

An okay story but it really needed more depth. The main characters were shallow and 'thin' and the minor characters were vague and inconsistent.
Sarah Booth
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is fun brain candy. It's a cozy mystery that is fun escapism reading. The author writes well and there are no outstanding errors or annoying writing quirks that distract from the flow of the book like you find in some cozy mysteries. The only complain is that you know nothing about the detective the protagonist is working for, he's very mysterious and keeps his ideas even closer to his chest. I'd have liked a tad more character development in him but I imagine the author is saving that for ...more
Liz
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid start to a long series of cozy mysteries.
Jan
Fun, quick cozy mystery with believable characters and interesting plot. Different from her other stories but fun nonetheless.
Sammy Jackles
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grabbed my attention from the get-go. I loved the detective and dog combo :)
Awesome cosy mystery!
Beau
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Abby Silver is a bit lost in life. She feels like she doesn’t have a passion, her spoiled rich boy ex-boyfriend is a bit confused about their relationship status but things begin to fall into place a bit when her temp agency sends her to be the assistant to Derek Diamond, who is currently investigating a high profile murder.

Honestly, I’m not quite sure what happened here, this book seemed to lack the cleverness that Pepper’s Stormy Day series had. While it managed to maintain the lighthearted n
Linda Olds
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gripping!

Finally! A mystery writer who keeps you smiling through the entire book. If you like this book, try the Stormy Day series. It's so good that I'm anxiously awaiting the next one.
Boots S
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was a cute short story - not much meat - but light and a bit humorous. Abby is a temp who lands a one week job with a detective, Derek, working on an old case. The victim was found strangled with a belt in his own home All possible suspects appear to have iron clad alibis.
Mari Hinton
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read

I liked this new series and look forward to more to come. This book is more just on the mystery side. Not a lot a suspense and thrillers, just a good clean mystery.
Amy Haborak
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Two and a half stars. Quick read. Characters rather shallow, plot thin. Enjoyable, though.
Jane
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Story seemed to be missing a lot: flow, padding out of the characters.
Angela Griffin
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Why?

This is an unusual and confusing story. Abby, Derek, and Chewie make a likable team, but I'm not sure why! Abby is blessed with an amazing brain and no motivation to take advantage of that fact. She's apparently so paralyzed by fear of making a wrong decision (no explanation given) that she just allows life to happen, AND she lacks character. Derek seems to be a well-respected detective, but he's beyond quirky and unfocused. Chewie is the only one living up to potential. The murderer and the
Kristy  Hurst
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, humorous cozy mystery. The lead female character displays moments of awkwardness everyone can relate to going through at some point in their life. The lead male starts out seeming a bit of a male chauvinist, but that is quickly dispelled endearing his character to you even with his many quirks. The story itself held enough little twists to leave you unsure until shortly before the reveal who 'did it', and then you find out that there is still more to it. I laughed heartily a numbe ...more
Tara
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good. I really liked the way the author developed the two main characters. It was especially refreshing to have a female protagonist who was not your typical bumbling girlish crime fighter, as a lot of these kinds of mysteries have. The plot itself was nothing too surprising. I feel like the author could have given some more detail to the crime and those secondary characters, but I am definitely planning to read the next in the series.
Gabriella
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Girl in the Shadows is only half the book. (Less than half, actually.) It's OK, but the real gem in here is the first volume of the Wisteria Witches series, where the main character is redheaded witch/librarian Zara Riddle, a single mother who finds herself possessed by the spirit of an eccentric elderly socialite (killed in her bathtub by a toaster!). It's such a quirky, enjoyable world. I expect to come back to the series again and again. ...more
Andrea
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby Silver is a temp secretary with a super memory and I wish I had one these days. Abby is assigned to work with an unusual detective, Abby discovers she likes investigative work. As Abby starts working with Detective Diamond helping working on a case she also meets Chewie, a beagle that is always at his side. After a week she loves doing this kind of work and there is funny and suspense along the way.
Ellen White
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
GIRL IN THE SHADOWS by Angela Pepper. A new series and good, it is funny and Abby is a young quirky person. When a temp job for a week teams her up with Derek, who is investigating a murder. She love's the work, and they work good together. Looking forward to more in this series.
Readers will love it, young ,upbeat approach to investigating.
Cheryl Adamkiewicz
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

This was a truly intriguing and original plot as well as more than realistic characters. I loved it and highly recommend it. The writing was fast paced, clever, and riveting. I couldn't put it down. However Wisteria Witches the accompanied selection was juvenile, stupid, and a waste of time.
Kids Kindle
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Diamond and Silver

Abby works at a temp agency. Doesn't know what to do with her life. She gets paired with Derrek as his assistant for a week.
Ends up that they are trying to find a killer. Abby had a photographic memory and Derrek is an ace investigator.
I'm looking forward to the next book to see where this goes.
Joni
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Girl in the Shadows

Girl in the Shadows is the start of a new series about who is working for a temp agency. She accepts a temporary job as secretary to a private investigator who is in town temporarily but.... The "but" is where the fun starts. A quick, fun read. A bonus to this book is that it also includes the first book in Angela Peppers Wisteria Witches series.
Sue
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was enjoyable and nice to read about someone who was tall and fit but not all together. I was glad that she followed up on her new temporary career of girl detective assistant/ insurance fraud investigator. There was a lot to like about the story that had more twists and turns than many mysteries. - (should be rated a 3.5)
Grandma Mush
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read

I basically liked this book. I like cozies and even the occasional ghost but this book had a few too many details about the various creatures from witch world. Also I didn’t care for the shape Zara’s boyfriend took. I had figured out the murderer to start with but wasn’t positive. So I still enjoyed it.
Dalletta Olena
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun read. Although it involves a murder investigation, this story is from the point of view of the detective's assistant. She is a tall young woman, still trying to discover her "life's calling." Angela Pepper is accomplished at creating characters with whom the reader will either recognise the type, or actually identify with. And the story has a great twist at the end. ...more
Sandra Tatum
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Who’s a witch?

Interesting mystery of new residents in a small town that seems a little off. Zara buys a red house that some same is haunted. Well that was s true. The former owner wants s newly discovered witch to call ch her murderer. Plenty of surprises always my the way. I enjoyed reading this s book.
Shirley Penman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great cheeky wee read

I got this book as a freebie on the bookbub website, aged ago. I just started reading Girl in the Shadows & when it finished i was introduced to The Wisteria Witches! I read in a couple of days & I've just bought book 2 & 3. I love Cozy mysteries, but these are different. The characters have more depth & you just want to read more.
moxieBK
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Girl in the Shadows — Angela Pepper (13 chapters) December 31, 2019

Short and sweet review: Fun, quick, quirky read by an author that I forgot I have read in the past.

As the story unfolds we learn about the protagonist’s present as a temporary worker to a quirky old PI. Her past is also entwined in the story. Fun, great read to end 2019.

Four stars.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Losing Lauren (Detective Rachel Storme #2)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pancake House Mystery, #1)
  • Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #1)
  • Questions and Quarrels (An Isle of Man Ghostly Cozy #17)
  • Relatively Familiar (Accidental Familiar, #2)
  • The Armstrong Assignment (A Janet Markham Bennett Cozy Thriller Book 1)
  • The Body in the Attic (A Jazzi Zanders Mystery #1)
  • Pilfered Promises (Victorian San Francisco Mysteries, #5)
  • An Oxford Murder (The Catherine Tregowyn Mysteries #1)
  • Pumpkin Spice Peril (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #12)
  • Witchy Business (Witches of Shadow Lane #1)
  • Elusive (On The Run, #1)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • The Freeman Files Series: Books 1-3 (The Freeman Files Box Set)
  • Interview with a Ghost in Arizona (Ghost Mysteries of the Southwest, #2)
  • All Too Familiar (Accidental Familiar, #1)
  • Still Kicking (Lainie Lovett Mystery, #1)
  • Arsenic in the Azaleas (Lovely Lethal Gardens, #1)
USA Today Bestselling author Angela Pepper lives with her family in the rainy Pacific Northwest, surrounded by spoiled kitties, deer, raccoons, and the biggest woodpeckers you've ever seen. ...more

News & Interviews

Looking for some out-of-this-world reading this summer? Then we suggest taking a peek at these highly anticipated young adult books, all...