Start by marking “Thanks for the Trouble” as Want to Read:
Thanks for the Trouble

Thanks for the Trouble

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  3,512 Ratings  ·  668 Reviews
“Was this story written about me?”

I shrugged.

“Yes or no?”

I shrugged again, finally earning a little scowl, which somehow made the girl even more pretty.

“It’s very rude not to answer simple questions,” she said.

I gestured for my journal, but she still wouldn’t give it to me. So I took out my pen and wrote on my palm.

I can’t, I wrote. Then, in tiny letters below it: Now don’
Paperback, UK, 276 pages
Published February 25th 2016 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published February 23rd 2016)

Emily May
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped talking after my dad died, I wrote, then prepared myself for the usual things people said after I told them that.
“What a remarkably asinine thing to do.”
That was not one of the usual things.

I can predict right here and now what will be the one leading criticism for this book. It will most likely be the defining factor in whether you will enjoy it or be annoyed. And it all depends on whether you think Zelda falls into the manic pixie dream girl box.

Kirkus says no. A few early reviewers
C.G. Drews
This one is definitely not for me yikes. I'm also not a fan of the author's behaviour or (seemingly?) romanticising of mental illness and suicide. So pls be careful going into this.

It's pretty tropey with the larger-than-life girl sweeps into unsuspecting-hopeless-broken boy's life and FIXES HIM in a glorious rush of surreal amazing activities. I just don't like it. Mostly because the girl-character will usually views herself as PERFECT and RIGHT and doesn't really care about her actions towards
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s been a while since I read a book in a day!

I actually ended up enjoy this way more than I expected! It was a quick fun read with some serious topics mixed in there. The female character can definitely be seen as a manic pixie girl but it still worked for me. Also I enjoyed the short stories that were included throughout the book.
Worth the read!
Lala BooksandLala
Ack. This was just my cup of tea.
may ❀
This is definitely one of those books that are a fun and enjoyable and adventurous read but somehow where most people finish it in a sitting it kinda….lost my interest….more than once.

NOT TO SAY IT ISN’T A GOOD BOOK, BC IT DEFINITELY IS I just….idk

- So this book is about a boy who has developed mutism since he was a child after a traumatic accident
- But the boy is a fluffy marshmallow cupcake who is also a writer and the cutest thing since stuffed animals
- Basically I love Parker A LOT
- So th
Maram
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm just going to pretend that this is my first read of 2018 and not An Enchantment of Ravens because it's definitely my first 5-star read!!!
WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE RAVING ABOUT Thanks for the Trouble????

I'm not sure how a short book of 200-something pages managed to make me want to rethink what I'm doing with my life. That rarely happens to me as I'm more of a "go with the flow" type of person and don't mind life punching me in the face sometimes. I'm also not a long-term planner, I only make
Ezgi Tülü
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ezgi by: Ayşin Karaman
Hayatınızın bir anında bile durup merak ettiyseniz diye söylüyorum, Her Şey İçin Teşekkürler'in ardından artık tescilli bir odunum. Yani bu durumun gerçekten başka bir açıklaması yok. Herkesin yere göğe sığdıramadığı, okurken duygusallığın dibine vurduğu, içinden alıntı üstüne alıntı çıkarttığı bu kitabın bende yarattığı tek bir şey vardı: can sıkıntısı.

Şu aralar niye böyle oluyor gerçekten bilmiyorum. Kara koyun olup çıktım. (Saçlardan mı acep?) Elimdeki kitapları okuyayım, okunacaklar listem b
PattyMacDotComma
4.5★

I don’t know why I decided to read this book, but I was thoroughly engaged by this 17-year-old, reclusive high school boy who stopped speaking after his Colombian father died in a car crash. But Parker writes. So he’s a mute Latino who plays chess and writes stories. Not exactly Mr Popularity.

He skips a lot of school, and his mother is a bereaved flight attendant who drinks heavily. To stay dry for the required 12 hours before flying, she stokes up on Bloody Marys for breakfast if she’s got
Tommy Wallach
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-dumb-books
Parker Santé hasn’t spoken a word in five years. While his classmates plan for bright futures, he hangs out in hotels, watching the guests. But when he meets a silver-haired girl named Zelda Toth, a girl who claims to be quite a bit older than she looks, he’ll discover there just might be a few things left worth living for. From the celebrated author of We All Looked Up comes a unique story of first and last loves.
Aditi
At hotels, you are an actress. Absolutely. You can do what you want. Go where you want. I love my home too. But I love to arrive in a hotel. They have books, chocolate, food. I put things in the little refrigerator.

----Sonia Rykiel

Tommy Wallach, a Brooklyn-based writer and musician, pens his next entertaining and captivating young adult novel, Thanks for the Trouble that explores the friendship shared between two young souls, although one of the souls claim to be older than the looks, in a ho
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookgasm
Thanks For The Trouble is absolutely lovely, cynical and sarcastic, but so wonderfully written and emotional. Written in the same vein as John Green, it tells the story of Parker who hasn't spoken for over five years since his father passed away. He'll do just about anything to avoid school, where he feels misunderstood and his silence is taken as a sign of antisocialism. From the moment they'd first met, Parker and Zelda form an instant attraction. He has segregated himself from his peers, whil ...more
Füsun (Fbibliotheca)
2.5 demiştim ama vazgeçtim. 2, bu kitabın benden alabileceği tek puan.

"Belki de çocukların mutsuzluğu tespit edebilme gibi bir yeteneği vardır ama büyüdükçe bu özelliklerini kaybediyorlar. Zaten kaybetmeleri de gerekir. Yoksa insanların nasıl mutsuz olduğunu ve asla kendilerini mutlu etmeyi başaramayacaklarını da fark ederler."

Her Şey İçin Teşekkürler'i ilk aldığımda, kitabı okumak için sabırsızlanıyordum. Eğlenceli ve güzel olacağını düşünmüştüm ama bir süre sonra bu okuma isteğimi kaybettim.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Booktubeathon challenge #2 - read a book you discovered through booktube: COMPLETE!

3.75/5 stars. I couldn't quite bring myself to give this 4 stars, but I still really enjoyed it. Although I will say it was eerily similar to the Haters, which is the book I finished yesterday. Not in plot obviously but the two main characters were almost exactly the same as Wes and Ash. Except I definitely liked Parker and Zelda more. I liked this entire book more. I'll definitely be giving more thoughts in my bo
Figgy
Tommy Wallach and I discussed favourite birds, debated zombies, and perhaps discussed some of that book and music stuff over at 100% Rock Magazine!

Actual Rating 3.5

Meet Parker Santé. He’s medium cute, bad at writing in third person, and good at stealing shit from rich people. He’s not the best person you’ll ever meet, he’s also not the worst.
I mean, some things are obviously shitty, and some things are obviously nice or noble or whatever, but between the two goalposts of black and white, between
Vitor Martins
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
"There's a word in portuguese that my dad wrote about in one of his books: saudade. It's the sadness you feel for something that isn't gone yet, but will be."

Aqui temos a prova de que nunca devemos julgar um livro pela capa. Thanks for the Trouble tem essa capa horrorosa mas guarda uma história muito boa.

Gostei muito da maneira como o Tommy Wallach abordou o mutismo sem nunca citar o nome do transtorno ou explicar como funciona. A gente conhece o Parker, descobre que ele não consegue falar desd
Michael
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
4.5

What a weird book. What a weird, emotional book. This is a case where I genuinely didn't know how to feel or what I was going to rate it until I got to the end and started tearing up a bit. There were a few passages that stopped me in my tracks and really made me think. And it's a very quick, short read. I couldn't put the book down even if I tried. Recommended if you want a contemporary that doesn't feel the need to follow any rules or you really just want something different!
*TANYA*
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017
Wow!! What a great book!! I need a follow up, I want to know what becomes of Parker Santé. The writing was fantastic. Not your typical “young adult” book it felt very grown up.
Ayman Gomaa
Arabic & English Review : 2.5 - 3 Stars
A Story with many questions to give us something worth living for , to have the strength to move on after a horrific tragedy or pain.

قصة عن الحياة , اسئلة و اجوبة عن معنى الحياة و الايمان و القوة عندما تواجه احداث مأسوية و خسارة شخص تهتم به كثيرا ف تجد نفسك استسلمت و لا ترى اى معنى للحياة من بعده .

Parker Sante a selective mutism teenage who skip school , rob ppl at hotels and just living for no reason meets up with Zelda a girl with silver hair who de
Amerie
"...you'd have so much perspective. You'd see the terrible sweep of history, repeating its tragedies over and over again." You might even become a misanthrope. The passage between pages 230-231 is one of my favorite passages in recent memory.
Gabby
“Love is the exception to the law of diminishing returns.”
This book is like a breath of fresh air. It's so different from anything I've ever read. This book follows 17 year old Parker who is a mute thief, and he also happens to be Latino. In order to communicate he carries around a journal with him at all times, and he also enjoys writing stories in his journal. One day, while thieving at a hotel, he comes across Zelda, a silver haired girl who is immortal and doesn't age. She has a hug
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
I had heard a lot about this book before I ever picked it up. The Twitterverse was criticizing it left and right, to the point where I was on the fence about reading it. But, then I remembered that Twitter doesn't get to dictate my reading material, and I hopped in, because I had been eagerly anticipating this one, before all of this started. And I am going to address one of the big grip
TL
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Figgy
“Why is it that the bad shit in our lives always seems to take up so much more mental space than the good stuff? I wrote. Is that part of being a person, or just part of being me?

I think about that question all the time.

Do you have an answer?

I don't think that questions like that have answers. An optimistic person would probably say that the bad things stick out because they're not as common as the good things.

Are you an optimistic person?

***
“In my opinion, the best time to be alive is
Drew
Weird books are kind of a hit-or-miss for me. If done well, they can be a wonderful mix of extraordinarily unique and deliciously bizarre. Or they can go the opposite way - where they're just too weird for you to get and everything resembles a jumble of nonsense.

This was a weird book - and it kind of worked, but it kind of didn't. While I loved Wallach's lyrical writing, this book also irked me because there wasn't much closure to the plot.

Parker meets Zelda, a mysterious silver-haired girl, in
Kristal Kitap
Kitabı, Uğultulu Tepeler'i okurken zorlandığımdan arada kitaba es vermiş olmak için başlamıştım ama elimden bırakamadım. Çok tatlı ve sıradışı bir hikayesi var Her Şey için Teşekkürler'in.

Her şeyi boş vermiş bir çocuğun sadece bir hafta sonuna sığan ilk aşkını ve bu aşkın hayatını nasıl değiştirdiğini anlatıyor bize Parker Santé. Tamam, yani kendi hikayesini anlatıyor işte.

5 yıldır konuşmuyor. Gelecek planları yapmıyor. Sosyalleşmiyor. Tedavi olmuyor. Tüm bunları isteyerek yapmıyor çünkü hiçbir
Cesar
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

(Disclaimer: The book is over 288 pages, not more than 300. Get it together goodreads!)

I'm sure I would've enjoyed this story a lot if it hadn't been filled with lots of tropes. For one thing, the story is a bit of a cliche with the whole "The depressed boy meets this charismatic girl and they both go on an adventure and he understands what it means to live."

Sounds familiar doesn't it? Well, get ready ladies and gentlemen. This book has a character trope I don't like: The Manic Pixie Drea
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

DNF

I had heard about this author through his debut and his posts during the Paris attacks. After hearing about some of his views during the Paris attacks I refused to read any of his books. Then out of curiosity I decided to read the sample of this book from iBooks. I was honestly surprised! It was so good! Then I realized that it wasn't fair to judge him based on his opinions. I wouldn't like it if someone judged me for stating my opin
Bonnie
I’ve always liked that phrase, “kill time.” As if time were some kind of evil dragon that needed to be slain. Unfortunately, like everything else in the world, time dies of natural causes, year by year, hour by hour, second by second. It’s a veritable time massacre going on out here.

Parker Santé has been mute since his father died in a car accident they were both involved in. It’s been five years. He’s still a bit angry with his lot in life so he spends the majority of his time alone, killing
Ömer
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.6/5

"İnsanlar o kadar aptal ki, nefes alıp vermeyi becerebilmeleri bile mucize."

Yorumu için:http://kronikokur.blogspot.com.tr/201...
Emily Mead
I can't actually tell whether I like this book or hate it with a fiery passion, so I'm going to ignore the rating for now.

And maybe think about it for a few days.

This will probably turn into a discussion on manic pixie dream girls. You have been warned.

___________

REVIEW

You should know before I start this review that Tommy Wallach’s book We All Looked Up was one of my favourite books of 2015.

It’s beautiful and it has all these intersecting POVs and it’s about an apocalypse and it has such INCR
Öznur (kendimizeaitbiroda)
"Bizler, hepimiz hayatlarımızı halat çekme oyunundaki halat gibi yaşıyoruz. Bir yandan asla değiştiremeyeceğimiz geçmişimizin ağırlığı çekiyor, diğer yandan da bilinmeyenlerle dolu geleceğimiz. Şanslıysak dengeyi bulabiliyoruz. Ama şanssızsak (ve bence hepimiz, bir süreliğine de olsa bu sınıfta yer alıyoruz) iki uçtan birine doğru çekilerek yere seriliyoruz. "

Parker Sante, sürekli okuldan kaçıp soluğu otellerde alıyor, vaktinin çoğunu otelde geçiriyor. 5 yıldır konuşmuyor, gelecek planları yapm
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
  • #girlnovel
  • This Is the Part Where You Laugh
  • Alphas Like Us (Like Us, #3)
  • Up to This Pointe
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • Don't Fail Me Now
  • The Odds of Lightning
  • The Museum of Heartbreak
  • 18 Thoughts (My So Called Afterlife, #3)
  • Gemini
  • When Friendship Followed Me Home
I'm a Brooklyn-based novelist, screenwriter, and musician. I wrote "We All Looked Up" (a New York Times Bestseller) and "Thanks for the Trouble." My newest book is "The Anchor & Sophia," first in a trilogy set in a future North America which, for asteroid-collision-related reasons, has regressed to 19th century technology levels (oil lanterns, covered wagons, whiskey used as anesthetic, etc.). ...more
“Love is the exception to the law of diminishing returns.” 28 likes
“My mom told me once that she wouldn't be a kid again for a million bucks. She said things hurt more when you don't have any perspective on pain.

That's true.

But doesn't everyone want to be young and hot forever?

They only think they want it, Parker. But nobody really wants anything forever. Just for longer than they get it.”
21 likes