Start by marking “Thanks for the Trouble” as Want to Read:
Thanks for the Trouble

Thanks for the Trouble

“Was this story written about me?”

I shrugged.

“Yes or no?”

I shrugged again, finally earning a little scowl, which somehow made the girl even more pretty.

“It’s very rude not to answer simple questions,” she said.

I gestured for my journal, but she still wouldn’t give it to me. So I took out my pen and wrote on my palm.

I can’t, I wrote. Then, in tiny letters below it: Now don’
Paperback, UK, 276 pages
Published February 25th 2016 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published February 23rd 2016)

Start your review of Thanks for the Trouble
Emily May
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped talking after my dad died, I wrote, then prepared myself for the usual things people said after I told them that.
“What a remarkably asinine thing to do.”
That was not one of the usual things.

I can predict right here and now what will be the one leading criticism for this book. It will most likely be the defining factor in whether you will enjoy it or be annoyed. And it all depends on whether you think Zelda falls into the manic pixie dream girl box.

Kirkus says no. A few early reviewers
C.G. Drews
This one is definitely not for me yikes. I'm also not a fan of the author's behaviour or (seemingly?) romanticising of mental illness and suicide. So pls be careful going into this.

It's pretty tropey with the larger-than-life girl sweeps into unsuspecting-hopeless-broken boy's life and FIXES HIM in a glorious rush of surreal amazing activities. I just don't like it. Mostly because the girl-character will usually views herself as PERFECT and RIGHT and doesn't really care about her actions towards
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s been a while since I read a book in a day!

I actually ended up enjoy this way more than I expected! It was a quick fun read with some serious topics mixed in there. The female character can definitely be seen as a manic pixie girl but it still worked for me. Also I enjoyed the short stories that were included throughout the book.
Worth the read!
Gabby
“Love is the exception to the law of diminishing returns.”
This book is like a breath of fresh air. It's so different from anything I've ever read. This book follows 17 year old Parker who is a mute thief, and he also happens to be Latino. In order to communicate he carries around a journal with him at all times, and he also enjoys writing stories in his journal. One day, while thieving at a hotel, he comes across Zelda, a silver haired girl who is immortal and doesn't age. She has a hug
Lala BooksandLala
Ack. This was just my cup of tea.
may ❀
This is definitely one of those books that are a fun and enjoyable and adventurous read but somehow where most people finish it in a sitting it kinda….lost my interest….more than once.

NOT TO SAY IT ISN’T A GOOD BOOK, BC IT DEFINITELY IS I just….idk

- So this book is about a boy who has developed mutism since he was a child after a traumatic accident
- But the boy is a fluffy marshmallow cupcake who is also a writer and the cutest thing since stuffed animals
- Basically I love Parker A LOT
- So th
maram ☂︎
I'm just going to pretend that this is my first read of 2018 and not An Enchantment of Ravens because it's definitely my first 5-star read!!!
WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE RAVING ABOUT Thanks for the Trouble????

I'm not sure how a short book of 200-something pages managed to make me want to rethink what I'm doing with my life. That rarely happens to me as I'm more of a "go with the flow" type of person and don't mind life punching me in the face sometimes. I'm also not a long-term planner, I only make
PattyMacDotComma
4.5★

I don’t know why I decided to read this book, but I was thoroughly engaged by this 17-year-old, reclusive high school boy who stopped speaking after his Colombian father died in a car crash. But Parker writes. So he’s a mute Latino who plays chess and writes stories. Not exactly Mr Popularity.

He skips a lot of school, and his mother is a bereaved flight attendant who drinks heavily. To stay dry for the required 12 hours before flying, she stokes up on Bloody Marys for breakfast if she’s got
Tommy Wallach
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-dumb-books
Parker Santé hasn’t spoken a word in five years. While his classmates plan for bright futures, he hangs out in hotels, watching the guests. But when he meets a silver-haired girl named Zelda Toth, a girl who claims to be quite a bit older than she looks, he’ll discover there just might be a few things left worth living for. From the celebrated author of We All Looked Up comes a unique story of first and last loves.
Aditi
At hotels, you are an actress. Absolutely. You can do what you want. Go where you want. I love my home too. But I love to arrive in a hotel. They have books, chocolate, food. I put things in the little refrigerator.

----Sonia Rykiel

Tommy Wallach, a Brooklyn-based writer and musician, pens his next entertaining and captivating young adult novel, Thanks for the Trouble that explores the friendship shared between two young souls, although one of the souls claim to be older than the looks, in a ho
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookgasm
Thanks For The Trouble is absolutely lovely, cynical and sarcastic, but so wonderfully written and emotional. Written in the same vein as John Green, it tells the story of Parker who hasn't spoken for over five years since his father passed away. He'll do just about anything to avoid school, where he feels misunderstood and his silence is taken as a sign of antisocialism. From the moment they'd first met, Parker and Zelda form an instant attraction. He has segregated himself from his peers, whil ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Booktubeathon challenge #2 - read a book you discovered through booktube: COMPLETE!

3.75/5 stars. I couldn't quite bring myself to give this 4 stars, but I still really enjoyed it. Although I will say it was eerily similar to the Haters, which is the book I finished yesterday. Not in plot obviously but the two main characters were almost exactly the same as Wes and Ash. Except I definitely liked Parker and Zelda more. I liked this entire book more. I'll definitely be giving more thoughts in my bo
Michael
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
4.5

What a weird book. What a weird, emotional book. This is a case where I genuinely didn't know how to feel or what I was going to rate it until I got to the end and started tearing up a bit. There were a few passages that stopped me in my tracks and really made me think. And it's a very quick, short read. I couldn't put the book down even if I tried. Recommended if you want a contemporary that doesn't feel the need to follow any rules or you really just want something different!
Figgy
Tommy Wallach and I discussed favourite birds, debated zombies, and perhaps discussed some of that book and music stuff over at 100% Rock Magazine!

Actual Rating 3.5

Meet Parker Santé. He’s medium cute, bad at writing in third person, and good at stealing shit from rich people. He’s not the best person you’ll ever meet, he’s also not the worst.
I mean, some things are obviously shitty, and some things are obviously nice or noble or whatever, but between the two goalposts of black and white, between
*TANYA*
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! What a great book!! I need a follow up, I want to know what becomes of Parker Santé. The writing was fantastic. Not your typical “young adult” book it felt very grown up.
Drew
Weird books are kind of a hit-or-miss for me. If done well, they can be a wonderful mix of extraordinarily unique and deliciously bizarre. Or they can go the opposite way - where they're just too weird for you to get and everything resembles a jumble of nonsense.

This was a weird book - and it kind of worked, but it kind of didn't. While I loved Wallach's lyrical writing, this book also irked me because there wasn't much closure to the plot.

Parker meets Zelda, a mysterious silver-haired girl, in
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
I had heard a lot about this book before I ever picked it up. The Twitterverse was criticizing it left and right, to the point where I was on the fence about reading it. But, then I remembered that Twitter doesn't get to dictate my reading material, and I hopped in, because I had been eagerly anticipating this one, before all of this started. And I am going to address one of the big grip
TL
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Figgy
“Why is it that the bad shit in our lives always seems to take up so much more mental space than the good stuff? I wrote. Is that part of being a person, or just part of being me?

I think about that question all the time.

Do you have an answer?

I don't think that questions like that have answers. An optimistic person would probably say that the bad things stick out because they're not as common as the good things.

Are you an optimistic person?

***
“In my opinion, the best time to be alive is
Amerie
"...you'd have so much perspective. You'd see the terrible sweep of history, repeating its tragedies over and over again." You might even become a misanthrope. The passage between pages 230-231 is one of my favorite passages in recent memory.
Cesar
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

(Disclaimer: The book is over 288 pages, not more than 300. Get it together goodreads!)

I'm sure I would've enjoyed this story a lot if it hadn't been filled with lots of tropes. For one thing, the story is a bit of a cliche with the whole "The depressed boy meets this charismatic girl and they both go on an adventure and he understands what it means to live."

Sounds familiar doesn't it? Well, get ready ladies and gentlemen. This book has a character trope I don't like: The Manic Pixie Drea
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

DNF

I had heard about this author through his debut and his posts during the Paris attacks. After hearing about some of his views during the Paris attacks I refused to read any of his books. Then out of curiosity I decided to read the sample of this book from iBooks. I was honestly surprised! It was so good! Then I realized that it wasn't fair to judge him based on his opinions. I wouldn't like it if someone judged me for stating my opin
Emily Mead
I can't actually tell whether I like this book or hate it with a fiery passion, so I'm going to ignore the rating for now.

And maybe think about it for a few days.

This will probably turn into a discussion on manic pixie dream girls. You have been warned.

___________

REVIEW

You should know before I start this review that Tommy Wallach’s book We All Looked Up was one of my favourite books of 2015.

It’s beautiful and it has all these intersecting POVs and it’s about an apocalypse and it has such INCR
Bonnie
I’ve always liked that phrase, “kill time.” As if time were some kind of evil dragon that needed to be slain. Unfortunately, like everything else in the world, time dies of natural causes, year by year, hour by hour, second by second. It’s a veritable time massacre going on out here.

Parker Santé has been mute since his father died in a car accident they were both involved in. It’s been five years. He’s still a bit angry with his lot in life so he spends the majority of his time alone, killin
Jenny Jo Weir
I LOVED THIS BOOK! ALL-TIME FAVORITE!

OK, now that that's out there, I will try to calm down enough to express the beauty of this book. Let's just say I've never before enjoyed the stories within a story as much as I did here. This author is unbelievably talented and has spectacular writing ability.

I'm enamored with the skill and creativity of this story and can't wait to read more of Tommy's work. Crazy beautiful story.
farida
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“That’s the thing about letting someone go. It’s a kind of murder. Or more like a murder-suicide. You have to kill the person in your memory and then you have to kill the version of you that needed that person.”

Damn, Tommy. This is my second novel for this incredible man, and I feel like I've had one of that near-death coma when you see some fantasy dream flash right before your eyes and everything is so heavenly and amazing and you're so lost in it until you turn the last fucking page of the b
ReeshiReads
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Life isn't sugarcoated. Why should coffee be?”

You know that moment when you want to read a certain book (*cough cough* Crooked Kingdom) but your sister is reading it so you have to wait and you keep pestering her about it so then she recommends another book to distract you from the one you want. Well that just happened to me and Thanks for the Trouble was that recommended book. And yes I know I wrote a run-on sentence.

I had no expectations for this novel because I knew nothing of it or the auth
Vish
whats up with that cover??
description

being very honest, i was not expecting anything from this book since i was infact judging it by the cover.

But i am glad i still went ahead and gave this story a go.
This book was refreshing, since the plot was something i didnt read in a long time. No it wasnt brand new per say but definitely long since i had read a book like this.

***SPOILER STARTS***

This story is "meet-cute" plus "age of adaline" combined.
description
Parker cant speak because, well he cant. He likes stealing and b
Erin
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. If I were to create a " books that took me by surprise"-Thanks for the Trouble would definitely be in my top 5. At first glance the cover didn't really catch my eye, but one of my students told me that it was worth my attention. Well, I brought it home from school and I just couldn't put it down until I reached the very end. Tommy Wallach's characters, Parker and Zelda, were absolutely captivating and I just wanted to continue reading to figure out the engima's that surrounded both of ...more
Jenni
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm not one to flag books in recent years, but I found so many inspiring moments in this book that I couldn't help but flag them. Wallach tells a wonderful story about the many faces of grief and true to his previous work, builds beautiful characters and relationships. He's quickly becoming a favorite author for me.
M
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was so awful that I don't even know where to start. The audiobook narrator was totally fine and acceptable, so there really wasn't anything to complain about there.

It's just that this story felt like a tireless rehashing of all of those god awful John Green novels with nothing new or really standout to offer. Boring protagonist gets mixed up with a manic pixie dream girl (and let's be real, Zelda is 100% a MPDG. She is not a well-drawn character, she is not remarkable and she does not exist

• Love Blind
  • Perfectly Broken
  • Puddle Jumping (Puddle Jumping, #1)
  • なまいきざかり。 12 [Namaikizakari 12]
  • The Tomten and the Fox
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Middletown
  • Tout va bien
  • Sam the Repulsive (Ernest & Rebecca, #2)
  • We Are the Ants
  • Dead Man's Cell Phone
  • The Foreigner
  • Reasons to Be Pretty
  • Songbird
I'm a Brooklyn-based novelist, screenwriter, and musician. I wrote "We All Looked Up" (a New York Times Bestseller) and "Thanks for the Trouble." My newest book is "The Anchor & Sophia," first in a trilogy set in a future North America which, for asteroid-collision-related reasons, has regressed to 19th century technology levels (oil lanterns, covered wagons, whiskey used as anesthetic, etc.).

As a