Start by marking “Driving Me Mad” as Want to Read:
Driving Me Mad

Driving Me Mad

For Rebecca Gibson, her journey to a work convention will be one she’ll never forget. After driving around for four hours, Rebecca stops to ask for directions at an isolated house on the outskirts of Kirk Langley, Derbyshire.
Her initial meeting with the house’s attractive owner, Annabel Howell, seems strange and unsettling, but at her hostess’s insistence, Rebecca spends t
Published January 9th 2016 by Ylva Publishing (first published January 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Driving Me Mad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driving Me Mad

hubsie
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well.....

First, the good: the premise! What a neat story line. There are a lot of high reviews on this, so I was pretty excited to tuck in, even though I'm not normally a paranormal fan. However this appeared intriguing, as it merged present day with unsettled ghosts of the past, and two strangers (Clare and Rebecca) have to solve a long-standing mystery surrounding Clare's recently deceased elderly aunt and her long-lost grandmother.

The descriptors of the environments were great, setting in the
Tiff
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, crime
Brilliant, witty, engaging are adjectives that could easily describe L.T. Smith's latest novel Driving Me Mad. Right from the beginning I was thrown into a wild ride featuring endearing characters both living and dead. This book was a romance with a heavy paranormal influence. To sum it up quickly, damn good storytelling!

Rebecca Gibson is a paper salesman. One night driving from one sales convention to the next, she gets lost. An easy two hour drive becomes four and she still is no closer to her
Vic
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the synopsis for this book I was more than intrigued. It sounded like the book would be genuinely different, and entertaining. The problem was, I'd read a previous book by this author that I didn't like, or didn't get, or thought was actually just pretty bad. But I'm a fairly open minded kind of girl, so I thought "why not!"

The book isn't amazing, or edited to within an inch of its life, but it works on the level it was trying to achieve. It was intriguing, and it was entertaining.
Kate
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Loved, loved, loved this book. I don't want to give away too much in this review because as the description says there's a mystery to be solved.

I really enjoy anything I've read by L.T Smith, she has that perfect balance between something serious and the funny. I know I'm guaranteed to laugh while reading her stories, this wasn't any different.

The story starts with Rebecca who has managed to get lost while driving. She finds refuge in a house for the night only for her life to change once she l
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I’ll tell you what, there were parts of this story that drove ME mad. But we’ll get to that in a moment.

In the middle of the night, while trying to find her way around a place she doesn’t know, Rebecca freaks herself out and ends up at a house where the hostess is gracious enough to let her spend the night. Although I’m sure it helps that Rebecca looks an awful lot like a woman named Ellen, who we can suspect by her actions that the hostess Annabelle has very deep feelings for. Upon waking, Rebe
T
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very spooky. very good.
Dee
L.T Smith is a new to me author, and right off the bat it was clear she has the gist of the gab! Her descriptive writing skills are phenomenal. The story is told in first person and entirely from Rebecca’s point of view, so be prepared to be in her head the entire time.

At the start of the story I found myself chuckling at her unfortunate dilemma. It was both scary and comical at the same time. Who can’t relate to being stuck in a car, needing to pee, without a bathroom in sight? With no other op
angie
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L.T. Smith's Driving Me Mad is not only unique and complex in plot, it offers characters you care about a lot and would not mind knowing in real life. This is right up there with her terrific and very endearing novel, See Right Through Me. And though the mystery itself pulls you in immediately and is "on the edge of your seat" compelling, it is the emotions and the vulnerability swirling throughout, so open and wonderfully, that are deeply affecting and have lingered with me long after finishing ...more
Loek Krancher
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was freaking amazing!

I don't want to go into too much detail because it had so many twists and turns that I'm afraid I'm going to reveal too much but I can tell you that I enjoyed every minute of it. The concept was awesome and original. There is a cast of very interesting engaging characters, dead and alive. As I previously mentioned, there were many unexpected twists and turns. It all started when Rebecca finds herself in trouble on her way to another conference. It immediately had me on th
Netty
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Omg that was just simply brilliant, I definitely wasn't expecting that.
I'm not sure how to review this book and give it justice but I'll have a go....

This has got to be the best shit your pants book I've read, not that I usually read this kind of stuff.
The characters were very likeable from the first page through to the end, quite a bit of graphic detail, lots of goosebumps, the sex scenes were done brilliantly, some good old British humour mixed in aswel , a definite page turner.

This is not a b
Just a man's point of view
Meh. Conflicting feelings.

I liked the ghost story and the Sixth Sense vibe. Sometimes it was pretty creepy and I enjoyed it.
The first and the last parts of the novel were very engaging, and I was hooked in reading. In the middle, however, I was tempted to abandon it completely, I also started another book. But let’s put the blame on my difficult week, I really didn’t have much head for reading.
I liked Becky’s (the main character) humour. It made me laugh sometimes, even in a thrilling situation.
Ameliah Faith
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Spooky Mystery
Okay, I totally love this book! First I will tell you a bit about it then I will gush about it.
Its late at night on a back road. Rebecca was lost on the way to her hotel. She feels like someone or something is watching her. Finally she finds a house with a light on and goes to it. Annabelle answers and takes Rebecca into her arms, while holding the young woman, Annabel calls her Ellen... Some really weird stuff happens and while Rebecca is asleep she has some very real nightmares.
Liz
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ylva, lesbian, paranormal
I have not read anything from this author before, but after reading this I'm wanting to read more.

I enjoy a good supernatural, ghost story. There are parts I have to suspend disbelief ie being able to physically touch the "ghosts". But I was enjoying the story so much it was not an issue.

The premise for the story was reconnecting true love in the present with 2 women who look very similar to 2 deceased lovers, for which one met a tragic ending. One of the present ladies Clare has a family connec
Shay
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What makes this book so great is the combination of characters and plot. The main character Rebecca is exactly that, a character. She has a wonderfully believable and enjoyable personality that makes her feel very real. The book is narrated through her thoughts, which are scatterbrained and hilarious and make for a great perspective on the entire situation, which is just as enchanting as the main character. This is a mystery th
Morgan
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian, ghosts, uber
I am such a huge fan of L.T. Smith, and hadn't realized she had released another book this year! I recommend her previous novels without reservation to anyone unfamiliar with the author. You will not be disappointed. The synopsis of this title was intriguing--I'm a sucker for ghost stories and murder mysteries-- and she's had a few other brushes with writing about the supernatural in her previous books, so reading this was a no-brainer for me. There is a warning in the beginning that it's not qu ...more
Jane Shambler
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ylva-pub, spooky-lol
This book is unique, compelling and most definitely different. It is a story told by the main character. Well the one that's alive that is. Confused? Well best you read this book. It's very well written and totally absorbing. I found I couldn't put it down, I was so into the book I too wanted justice that had been waiting for sixty years. Ok, now I'm giving too much away. Read, trust me you'll be looking over your shoulder and maybe the lights stay on a while longer. Enjoy!
Donna
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a great book. This is the first time I have felt I need to say how fantastic this book is hence review.

I did not want to put it down, and there was a part of me that just wanted to take my time as I did not want it to finish ( hence I dragged it out for four days and that was a struggle).

The story is very witty and had me laughing out loud from the first chapter. It also elicited such a range of emotions. L T Smith’s writing is so beautiful this is one I will re read again and again.
Bethany Leonard
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about love, lost and love found spanning over 40yrs + A ghost story with a difference, its heartbreaking, funny, scary and sad but written so well it is like a movie in your hand. If you haven't read any of L.T. Smith's books (online name Fingersmith) you are so missing out!
Minna
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story, kept me hooked on from the first page 'till the last one.
Carina
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever had an event in your life of such magnitude that it simply divides your life into the before

and the after?

WELL I HAVEN'T AND LET ME TELL YOU, THIS BOOK WAS THE CLOSEST THING TO THAT
THAT I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.

Holy sh*t.

I don't even know where to begin reviewing it, so let's go by the list.

The writing style itself is phenomenal. It felt like the perfect blend between dialogue, description, and action. There were parts where I had to stop reading for a second and just admire a sente
Sabrina
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The opening of Driving Me Mad in its Gothic style just pulls you in. The style changes after that and is only revisited in dream sequences. They at times gave me chills.
The description of the scenes from the visual to the acoustic is always on point. I can see the action unfold but am not overwhelmed with details.
As someone who reads mostly in AE the British profanities used in the novel seem almost endearing. (Which includes a word for female lady parts). I love the protagonist's thought proc
Jaie
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The characters are complex and likable. The mystery was suspenseful and engaging. I had a hard time putting the book down. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because I think it was 10-15% too long and at times felt repetitive.

The main character, Rebecca, is unwittingly drawn into a sixty year old mystery that could involve murder, and definitely involves betrayal and generations of lying. Along the way she meets Clare, a direct descendant of the missing person.
tlev 4242
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The writing in this was solid, Smith did a good job building a spooky atmosphere at the start, and made it very much impossible for me to put down until I had read through the first night – when Rebecca meets Annabel and Ellen. Each time it was a struggle to put it down, but responsibilities made that mandatory.

I did like the unraveling of the mystery, but found that some aspects were very clearly telegraphed. There was still quite
Aj Smith
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Utterly enthralling from start to finish.

I am a recent convert to LT Smith but with this book she delivers again, not only is it well crafted and an intriguing read it has an uncomfortable undercurrent, which also drew me to the author's book See Right Through Me Both books feature a protagonist lacking in self-confidence who discovers a degree of strength though the journey of the text. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a novel featuring a lesbian romance, that is not a lesbian
Catherine Cameron
A book that will remain with you long after the last word is read

I am a huge admirer of LT Smith. She manages to infuse her stories with wonderful humour and gripping tension. She has in this chilling tale combined wit, a lovely romance and horror in an unforgettable tale craftfully spun. A must read.
Alicia
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-read
Even though I did enjoyed this I was a bit confuse with the jumping back and forth or it could just have been me.
KAT
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book was okay but not my style.
Tina
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer-lgbt
I really wanted to love this book, it had all the elements I am usually drawn to. However, it was very predictable, and felt like it dragged on and on.
Indi
Mar 11, 2017
Veronica
May 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
L.T. Smith is a late bloomer when it comes to writing and didn’t begin until 2005 with her first novel Hearts and Flowers Border (first published in 2006). She soon caught the bug and has written numerous tales, usually with a comical slant to reflect, as she calls it, ‘My warped view of the dramatic.’ Although she loves to write, L.T. loves to read, too — being an English teacher seems to demand ...more