Start by marking “The Detective and the Devil” as Want to Read:
The Detective and the Devil

The Detective and the Devil

(Charles Horton #4)

London, 1815: Constable Charles Horton of the River Police Office is called to investigate the brutal murder of a clerk and his family in London's East End. Horton's investigation draws him into the secretive world of the East India Company, which will stop at nothing to protect the secrets of its vast empire. What is the Company hiding, and why are its employees disappear ...more
Published April 21st 2016 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Detective and the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Detective and the Devil

Paromjit
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an intelligent, eerie and atmospheric historical mystery, the fourth in the series featuring River Constable Charles Horton set in 1815 in London and St Helena. It is the first one I have read, and whilst there are numerous references to other books, I found it fine as a standalone. It has elements of the fantastical and of horror, with a creepy air of menace that builds through the narrative. It begins with Dutchmen on the make, Amsterdam merchants hiring an unscrupulous mercenary, Jaco ...more
Lloyd Shepherd
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this. It's the best book you'll ever read, apart from the three other books I wrote, which are also the best book you'll ever read.
Bibliophile
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Constable Horton is back, accompanied by murder and supernatural shenanigans. Old frenemies from the Royal Society make appearances (hullo Sir Joseph Banks!), and new characters design devilish plans and cause death and discomfort. Poor old John Dee is frequently referenced, but I wish more had been made of him and his endearing wackadoodle beliefs.

Somehow this installement of the series didn't really come together for me as beautifully as the previous three. There's a slight feeling of déjà vu
Grey Wolf
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has an excellent atmosphere all through - I really felt myself to be in 1815 London, and later Saint Helena. The description is not heavy, but by dropping passages here and there the author makes you aware of what is different from today, unlike some historical authors where you feel like you could be in your own house, just sans TV, sans microwave etc.

The characters are well-drawn, and I particularly like the constable, Horton, his magistrate, Harriott, and the rival magistrate Markla
Ros Burrage
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Compared to the previous 3 books, this one was a disappointment to me. It started off well with murder and archaic symbology, but there was too much of Abigail in it. I read this book for the murder, intrigue, deeply hidden secrets and the unique detective skills of Charles Horton, not to hear the witterings of his wife and her mental struggle. I'm Bipolar and was undiagnosed and unmedicated for 10 years. There's little I can be taught about losing one's wits. That is of no interest to me.
In the
Janina Woods
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected going into it as a classic historical crime novel (I haven't read the others in the series yet), but surprisingly good! I even liked the female main character, even though she's so, so clearly written by a man.
Paul
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding installment in this excellent series - I think the best yet. Very well written and a joy to read - enthralling from start to finish!
Breakaway Reviewers
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stephen Taylor
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best one yet! If you haven't read the previous 3 in this wonderful series, what are you waiting for?
William
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The fourth in a very enjoyable series. I very much enjoy the way Lloyd Shepherd mixes the factual and the fantastical. I really liked it. I suspect you will too.
Kate
Beautifully written, richly evocative - as if a novel written by Lloyd Shepherd could be anything other than that...

Richbee
Mar 24, 2017
Dawn
Jun 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
I'm the author of The English Monster, The Poisoned Island and Savage Magic.

I don't really visit Goodreads very often - if you'd like to get hold of me, please go to my website, or give me a shout on Twitter.

Charles Horton (4 books)