Start by marking “Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America” as Want to Read:
Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America

Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America

What would a theology of the Church look like that took seriously the fact that North America is now itself a mission field? This question lies at the foundation of this volume written by an ecumenical team of six noted missiologists—Lois Barrett, Inagrace T. Dietterich, Darrell L. Guder, George R. Hunsberger, Alan J. Roxburgh, and Craig Van Gelder.

The result of a
Published February 9th 1998 by Eerdmans (first published February 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Missional Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missional Church

Start your review of Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America
Keith Madsen
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I strongly agree with this book's essential premise, which is that we should not think of a church SENDING people to do mission, but rather as a body whose very nature is missional. Thus "'Mission' is not something the church does, a part of its total program. No, the church's essence is missional, for the calling and sending action of God forms its identity. Mission is founded on the mission of God in the world, rather than the church's effort to extend itself." Through this understanding we ...more
Bob Wolniak
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
As it is known today, the book that popularized the term missional and its shift of seeing the North American church from sending to being sent in our own society. Also had a shaping influence on the emerging church movement. I read this first for a class and then to prepare some discussion on the theme. I have perhaps more underlining and notes in this volume than almost any other book on my shelf. Obviously, it had a profound impact on me and it still does in the organization I work for. It ...more
Tim
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-mission
A foundational book by multiple authors, outlining the meaning and method of missional church. They explain the need - how North America has become a mission field. They explain what needs to happen - that the established church become flexible and responsive and outward oriented. They call us to go beyond the great command (love one another) to fulfilling the great commission. The church is sent into the world, not retreating from it.
The book reads like a textbook - highly informative, but
Jason Nather
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my single favorite reads outside of the Bible.
Scott Buchanan
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wish I could give the book 3.5 stars, because it's somewhere in between good and great. This is *the* book that kicked off the curernt "missional church" movement and the wide range of resources that have come in that stream. If you're a student of the missional church, then it's worth reading if for no other reason than to understand where it all started. For those who simply want an introduction to the missional church, it would be helpful, but there are other books written more recently ...more
Garland Vance
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have a great deal of tension over this book and how to rate it. On the one hand, the message of this book is powerful and thought-provoking. It forces its readers to ask hard questions about the nature of the church, the cultural context of North American and how to be in the church in the world today.
However, I found myself dreading this book each time I picked it up (it was required for my doctoral reading). Admittedly, I typically do not enjoy books in which different authors write each
Melinda
Oct 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Excellent book but too intellectual and dry for my taste. I read one section thoroughly on recommendation. pp 199-220. ..."we are constantly losing the best and most creative leaders to more visionary and challenging areas of life because the systems of leadership identification that we have created are for a form of church life that no longer has the veracity of the power to engage these kinds of people. The maintenance and servicing of these institutions does not challenge those wanting to ...more
Cara Meredith
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Perhaps had I read it in a timely manner (instead of over the course of 8 months), I would have gotten more out of it than I actually did. While the overall premise is important and I found myself highlighting and underlining several key parts in each chapter, I continued to have a hard time staying engaged with the text. Maybe seminary did me over, and I still need a break from any near-theological like reading.
Brian
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guder is a significant presence in the missional church world, and as such he and his team of writers offer depth and originality lacking in some newer literature. His understanding of "The Reign of God" has been significant in my own understanding of The Church. It is a more biblical-based alternative to the valuable bur consumer-based Purpose Driven approach. This volume is a must in a missional church library.
Dan
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
The idea and some of the information of the book was good but often it was dry and pedantic. They tried to make it applicable by using some potential real-life situations but I don't think they did a good job of connecting the information to the situations that were presented. Often times there was too much exegesis of biblical passages that bogged it down for my taste.
Margaret
Sep 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Overall this book is OK. The first few chapters really get you hooked but then everything seems to get repetitive. I read this book for a missions class in college and it was good for the purposes of the class but unless you are intent on Missions or church planting I would not suggest reading this book. It's good educationally but not great for leisure reading.
Daniel Wells
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of gold in here, though one has to throw out a sentence here and there. Not comfortable with the Barthian view of Scripture as mere 'witness' rather than the actual Word of God, but there is a lot of good stuff in this book. Not entirely practical, but the reader should mark up the margins with concrete applications from some of the ideas laid out.
Matt
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ministry
The foundational text on the missional church paradigm/movement. A must-read for any pastor, elder or other church leader seeking to influence their congregations toward a missional mindset and model of ministry.
Jim Herrington
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Guder and friends have written a seminal work that every serious Christian should read. Missional theology is still an emerge field of study. These guys literally "wrote the book" on it.
Colleen
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dmin-research
Another 'classic' in the missional category
John Henry
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
This is one of a few of our most important texts to help us on our journey of transformation to become communities on mission.
Bradley
I wasn't that impressed with it at the time, but everybody else raves about it, so maybe I ought to pick this one up again.
Dustin Tramel
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dustin by: Jay Held
This is one of the books that revolutionized my thinking about the local church. Don't read it unless you want to love the church again or deepen your current love for it.
Ngulube Jeremiah

• The Cost of Discipleship
  • Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership
  • Surviving Your Dissertation: A Comprehensive Guide to Content and Process
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Doing a Literature Review: Releasing the Social Science Research Imagination
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • Ever Ancient, Ever New: The Allure of Liturgy for a New Generation
  • Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint
  • A Christian Guide to Spirituality: Foundations for Disciples
  • Four Views on the Church's Mission
  • The Book That Transforms Nations: The Power of the Bible to Change Any Country
  • The Existential Jesus
  • Old Testament Theology: Basic Issues in the Current Debate
  • Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City
  • The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical
  • The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church
  • Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile
“The gospel, centered profoundly for Jesus in the announcement that the reign of God is at hand, is eschatological in character. It pulls back the veil on the coming reign of God, thereby revealing the horizon of the world’s future. The gospel portrays the coming of Jesus, and particularly his death and resurrection, as the decisive, truly eschatological event in the world’s history.” 1 likes
“Daily life becomes a discipline of asking how one may move more squarely into the realm of God’s reign and how one may welcome and receive it into the fabric of one’s life this day more than ever before.” 0 likes