Start by marking “Magic Stars (Kate Daniels, #8.5, Grey Wolf, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magic Stars (Kate Daniels, #8.5, Grey Wolf, #1)

Magic Stars

(Grey Wolf #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  13,405 Ratings  ·  1,169 Reviews
From award-winning author, Ilona Andrews, an original novella, set in the New York Times #1 bestselling Kate Daniels World and featuring fan-favorites, Derek, and Curran and Kate’s very independent ward, Julie.

Scarred, solitary Derek Gaunt has separated from his Pack, and is truly a lone wolf. With no family he answers to no one; but is fiercely loyal to a chosen few. So,
Published December 8th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Magic Stars, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Katyana
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emily There are some spoilers for the Kate Daniels series in this book. I would recommend starting in chronological order. The leads in Magic Star both had…moreThere are some spoilers for the Kate Daniels series in this book. I would recommend starting in chronological order. The leads in Magic Star both had a lot of back story that you can't really get in this book alone. But its an amazing series!(less)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

A few things to know in advance:

1. You CANNOT skip this novella. I'm not saying that b/c love the Andrews (which I bloody well do). I'm saying that b/c at least three major events take place in this book. THREE. At least.

2. We finally get in Derek's head. A lot of you have been concerned about Boy Wonder for awhile now. As the series progresses, he gets more and more withdrawn, more and more . . . cardboard. This is worrisome. We know the circumstances surroundin
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick road to Magic Triumphs

And the moral of this particular rererereread is: this story is actually a Little Red Riding Hood retelling. It’s the truthful truth, I promise! Don’t believe me? Read this behind-the-scenes dialogue between Julie and Derek, and see for yourself:

My my, Wonder Boy, what serrated claws well-groomed nails you have!”
All the better to tear intestines out open tin cans with!” said the
Anne
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Anne by: Steven
Is this the start of a new Kate Daniels spin-off?!
*screams, flails, dances awkwardly*

description

I'm seeing this listed as Kate Daniels 8.5, but, more importantly, also as Grey Wolf #1.
Who's the Grey Wolf, you ask?
Derek!

description

Ok, guess who else is in this one? Never mind, don't bother guessing, I'm just going to tell you!
Julie! Yes, Kate's adopted daughter, constant troublemaker, and Derek's biggest fan, also stars in this story. And while she's too young for Derek (and he knows it!), you can tell that he is be
Robin (Bridge Four)
Re-read with the Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) peeps

✭✭✭✭✭ - 4.75 Bacony Stars

There are novellas in series you can skip and I’d say you aren’t missing much. I have enjoyed all of the Novella’s in the KD world, but besides a few little insights into how Kate is seen by others I didn’t take much out of them to go into main story line. Then there is Magic Stars and all that changed Boom, pow, KA-Bam in under 100 pages two characters from the KD world are fleshed out and the foundations are beautifully
Angela
May 2018 re-read. I love Derek and Julie.

August 2016 Re-read - I need more Grey Wolf.

10 December 2015: $1.99 on Kindle! - Available TODAY!

I went into this novella knowing very little, except that it had potentially world-changing events within its pages. Now that I'm done - I tore through this on my (extended) lunch break today - I can definitely say that's the dead-honest truth.

I've long wanted a Derek book, and I've been 'shipping Derek and Julie, hard, for a very long time (since the metal
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

When I saw that there was a new novella being released in the Kate Daniels Series, it was an absolute given that I would have to read it. I am always ready for more Kate and more Curran. Then I took another look at this book and found out that this one isn't focused on Kate or Curran and instead features Derek and Julie and I got even more excited. As soon as I saw some of my friends on Goodreads posting that it was available to purchase on A
Carol.
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1
Kate Daniels is the most consistently satisfying urban fantasy series I've read.

so, take my criticism with a grain of salt.

Magic Stars, while enjoyable, just doesn't live up to it's big sister full novels. Derek the wolf is hunting down killers when he runs into Julie at the crime scene. Together, they adventure. It's all very magical with interesting creatures and lots of action, tempered by Derek's internal dialogue. However. However, the pacing feels off, going from fight to fight without mu
Sophia Triad
A short adventure with Curran and Kate’s loyal wolf and with their adopted daughter.

This is the first book where wolf Derek Gaunt is the main character and he is an excellent one!
Once he had the face of an angel and girls used to throw themselves at his feet. Now he is scarred and scary, but he is still sentimental and loyal to his friends.

Julie Lennart-Olsen used to live in the streets, filthy and skinny.
Kate decided to protect her. She took her home; she gave her blood and finally she adopted
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Full review, originally posted on www.fantasyliterature.com:

Magic Stars begins the new Grey Wolf series, a spin-off of Ilona Andrews’ Kate Daniels series, in which Derek, a 20 year old shapeshifter who can turn into a wolf, takes center stage, although fans of Kate and Curran will be pleased to know that they make a brief appearance.

This novella gets off to a quick jump start, with Derek on the job, tracking down a group of men who murdered an entire family. Derek’s actions when he finds these
Sh3llraiser

Simply put, Ilona Andrews is writing the best urban fantasy available right now, period. The Kate Daniels series is the only one in recent times I've come across that is still original and captivating.

I don't usually read short stories because they usually just seem to be for the fans and not much of anything important happens. They tide the fans over until the next book comes out. This one, however, is one of the most compact, well-written shorts I've ever read. We see character development an
Haïfa
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf, favorites
I think I would have read Kate Daniels earlier if the first covers were this pretty!

Does that make me a shallow person? :D

This little novella is a must for Kate Daniels readers!

We finally got the POV of one my favorite characters in the series, Derek, the Grey Wolf.
I haven't realized how much I loved Derek until one traumatic event early on in the series.
And even if he got darker and more withdrawn throughout the story, there was still something very endearing about him, may be because of his i
Karen
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In true Andrews fashion the book was amazing. It is about 100 pages long but it felt like 10 I read it so fast. There is, surprisingly for its length, a healthy amount of world building and yet the story feels well paced. The characters are, well it's Derek and Julie, but for those of you not familiar with the books, it has just enough of a taste to be curious about Julie and an interesting glimpse into the mind of Derek. I never really wanted a Derek book but I found myself unable to resist his ...more
Jen Davis
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know a lot of people skip novellas. That's ok. Most of them are just fun pieces of fluff that help us curb our appetites for our favorite series. They rarely impart anything vital. But trust me when I tell you that you don't want to skip this one. Not just because it's Derek, though, obviously you want more Derek. But as much as I love digging around in his head, it's Julie's thread in this story that you don't want to miss.

This story centers around Derek's investigation into the murder of a h
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

A generously sized short story at over 60 pages, Magic Stars gives us a lead in the mind of Derek as he partners with Julie on a seek-and-revenge job while Kate and Curran are out of town. They go from one violent exploration to the next, with some downtime talking in between them.

If you're a fan of the series, this short story is important reading because it reveals some stuff about Julie in the background that is important to the overall story (Roland, her relationship with Kate). I already kn
This review was originally posted at The Book Nympho

KATE DANIELS FANS MUST READ MAGIC STARS!

I don't know how to start this review without spoiling you guys. It was so good. So. Good.

I've had my head in textbooks the last few weeks so I didn't know that Magic Stars was even a thing. Then I see Jen over at Red Hot Books talking about it on Twitter. When I found out that story was from Derek's POV and it had Julie in it too, I was like . . .

Derek has had a rough life, he had to kill his fathe
Melanie
This was sixty pages that were packed full of amazing. This was my first Kat Daniels novella and I was not disappointed. This little book probably will make me go back and read all the other novellas that I've neglected.

This book stars Derek (The Grey Wolf) and Julie, who has appointed herself with the title of Kate's Herald. You know, like how Hugh was Roland's Herald. Many connections between those two concepts were made. We also find out that Julie knows way more than Kat thinks she does. It
Jilly
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Anything Ilona Andrews writes is magic. If you ever take anything away from my years of wisdom that I am willing to share with you, this is the most important lesson.

So, I guess that's about it then.

Oh, wait, the book.
Okay, this book gives us the POV of Derek - the most awesome teenage werewolf sidekick ever. We Kate Daniels fanatics casual fans have been dying to hear from him because he is sarcastic, smart, and kickass. Then, there is the whole thing where we are absolutely dying for him and
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
AM I DREAMING? Is this really a story about Derek...and Julie? What???!!!! I'm in heaven and you will be too...Urban Fantasy heaven but nonetheless.

Basically, this story is about a wizard who had a family killed for some magic stones. Derek and Julie team up and bring people to justice. However, all the good parts are Derek and Julie and Julie and Derek....soooo good!

description

And I'm not exaggerating! Okay, I lied, I am but just a little. But you can't blame me, I've (and just about every other fan of t
mich
EDIT - You know what I just realized? This tiny novella has made me more excited for the next book more than book 8 did. (view spoiler) I am so fricken ready for everything to just blow up soon. I've been waiting for the actual climax of this whole series forever it seems like, and I feel like things are definitely heading closer and closer to that!

***********

Not gonna lie - unpleasant thoughts usually run
Rosa, really
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf-or-pnr

Great entry in my favorite, favorite, favorite urban fantasy series. I had no idea Derek was such a little psycho and I LOVE IT. I did have an idea that Julie is overconfident in her abilities (teenagers, man) and this novella only created more tension in that area. I cannot WAIT to see what happens.

Can't say I'm overly enthused by the probability of an eventual Julie/Derek relationship, but I'm sure Ilona Andrews could convince me to like anything. Even ham. I hate ham.

Thanks to my fave IA BR b
♥Rachel♥
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I didn’t know Derek struggled with such darkness. I guess I forgot he almost turned loup when Curran found and saved him. I was thrilled when he moved on with Kate and Curran, outside of the Pack. It wouldn’t be the same without him.

Oh, Derek and Julie!! I’m hoping we get a book two or at the very least some more short stories. Julie was kickass and awesome, and I loved being in Derek’s mind! There’s a lot brewing between these two and I can’t wait for more!

This is a must novella for the fans.
Ferdy
Pretty standard Kate Daniels story, there's some bad guys doing bad things and there's some weird magic and creatures thrown in for good measure, so of course Derek/Julie have to save the day. Not very original, but still fun.
The best part was Julie's revelations about Hugh and Roland, not to mention the fact that she knows about the whole Kate/blood/obeying thing. She seems to be really good at lying/hiding things.
Not sure how I feel about the Derek/Julie foreshadowing, Julie still seems way t
Tabby
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

I'm a fan of the Kate Daniels series

What I thought

Well this was a interesting fast paced read! This was great addition to the series and nice little novella. Just wished It was longer. Derek and Julie has always been two of my favorite characters. I admit I do ship them just a little bit even with the slight age difference. This was full of action and magic and I recommend to every Kate Daniels fan.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

It’s not Christmas just yet, I know, but doesn’t it feel like it every time Ilona and Gordon publish something new? Yes, yes it does. Magic Stars came somewhat unexpectedly, having been kept secret until about a month ago, and the second we learned the protagonist, we were collectively consumed by an overwhelming feeling of pure joy. After all, Derek Gaunt deserves no less, and neither does our Julie.

Finally, we get a glimpse of Boy Wonder from up close. We’ve been waiting a long time for it, a
Kira

I'm at a loss for words. It was too good to be coherent after reading it. Derek and Julie! Wow! This pulled on all the heart strings. Could two people be any more perfect for each other? I've always shipped Derek and Julie, but now I really really ship them extra hard.

Ilona Andrews are UF gods. I bow down to you and pledge my undying devotion because you can do no wrong. I loved this novella! It was 10 times better than most books. I usually hate short stories and novellas because they don’t fe
Casey
I read this story twice yesterday.

TWICE.

IN ONE DAY.

And on my second read I told myself that I was going to go slower and post updates.
But I didn't.
Because I didn't want to stop reading long enough to share the super amazing quotes!

I'm not going to tell you what happens because I went into it not knowing and I LOVED it that way so all I will say is
You should read this!

If this is the direction that the Andrews are going with the KD world then I just need to send them a blank check to cover all of
Aisling Zena

Usually I don't read novellas. But it was Derek so I couldn't resist. If you're a fan and you've been following Kate Daniels from the beginning I recommend you do not pass this novella. It's a must read! Not just because it's that good but there's a few revelations in it regarding Derek and Julie that you have to know. I believe the information will have an impact on the Kate series. Do NOT miss out!

1st read - December 2015
2nd read - August 2016
3rd read - May 2018
4th Read - July 2018

Original Review

It's no secret that I'm an Ilona & Gordon Andrews fan girl, I adore all of their books but I'm especially addicted to the Kate Daniels series. Derek has always been one of my favourite side characters and I love Julie too so the second I found out about this novella it jumped straight to the top of my most wanted books pile. As fans of the series will know most of the novellas aren't essential
Emma
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read novellas, they always leave me feeling unfulfilled. But since this was Derek and Julie, I couldn't pass it up.

And damn, it's good.

I'm going to leave the review at that. Nothing else neeeds to be added. Just read it.
Jo
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some people, the stars aligned and everything went right. For him everything went wrong, every time. When he wanted something, when he reached for it, life broke him, yet somehow he always survived.

I have loved Derek Gaunt since the first book, and ever since what happened to him in Magic Strikes, I have worried about how he has changed. The sweet and charming Derek has disappeared, and in his place is a too serious Derek who seems to carry the world on his shoulders.

It was awesome to s

• Curran POV Collection
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Shifting Shadows (Mercy Thompson #0.1, #0.6, #0.8, #1.5, #4.5, #5.5, #7.4)
  • Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)
  • Mind Magic (World of the Lupi, #12)
  • One Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)
  • Blood in Her Veins: Nineteen Stories from the World of Jane Yellowrock
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #6.2)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Zombie's Bite (Dorina Basarab, #0.1)
  • Archangel's Enigma (Guild Hunter, #8)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more
“I can always tell when you're thinking about food. You forget to be the Serious Wolf and you get this dreamy look in your eyes. You know, most people would think you were thinking about a girl. They have no idea that her name is bacon.” 47 likes
“She'd dropped to her knees and put her head on his chest, and when she'd heard the strong, even heartbeat, she'd cried and then kissed his lips gently, because he was asleep and he would never know. He'd scared her so much.
Stupid wolf. Her stupid, stupid wolf.”
28 likes