Start by marking “The Bookshop on the Corner” as Want to Read:
The Bookshop on the Corner

The Bookshop on the Corner

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  29,938 ratings  ·  4,828 reviews
Nina Redmond is a literary matchmaker. Pairing a reader with that perfect book is her passion… and also her job. Or at least it was. Until yesterday, she was a librarian in the hectic city. But now the job she loved is no more.

Determined to make a new life for herself, Nina moves to a sleepy village many miles away. There she buys a van and transforms it into a bookmobile—
Published September 20th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 11th 2016)

Miranda Reads
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
This book spoke to my soul
Nina Redmond is my favorite kind of main character - she feels like a best friend. A very bookish best friend. The best possible kind of best friend.

Nina is was a librarian. Her job was her everything. She spent every waking moment, caring for all of the little library books, curling up with a new novel every night and most importantly, helping people
Celeste
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-fiction
Full review now posted below!

I love books with all of my heart. Most kids sleep with stuffed animals, but I slept with some book or another even before I could read them for myself. I was born with an intense love for words and the worlds that writers can craft with them. Because of that fervent adoration for all things books, I delight in finding books about books. Sadly though, more often than not the books-about-books that I pick up tend to leave me disappointed. There are a few exceptions, o
Julie
The Bookshop on the corner by Jenny Colgan is a 2016 William Morrow Paperbacks publication.

The title alone was enough to catch my eye. I love 'books about books' and this one will truly resonate with people like me, who live and breathe books, no matter what genre you prefer.

When Nina loses her beloved job at the library, she finds the courage to start her life over using her expert skills of matching people with books. She buys a van and moves to Scotland and becomes a successful book seller.
Elaine
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really lovely read and I cannot think of anything I didn’t like about it. It is the story of Nina, a Librarian who is made redundant from her job in Birmingham, who starts a new life for herself by buying a van in Scotland and transforming it into a mobile bookshop.

The characters are all people you just cannot help liking and Nina herself is someone you would just love to be friends with in real life. I adored the setting in the Scottish Highlands which are beautifully described, espec
Ferdy
Loved all the bookshop and book talk, and that's about it.
Nina was a mousy bore and clumsy idiot to boot. The only parts where she was interesting was when she was trying to change her life and was in the process of moving to rural Scotland to sell books out of a van.
As soon as the love interests came on the scene, Nina lost what little charm she had and turned into a pathetic, desperate, whiny, doormat who panted between a bitter, mean, divorced mess and a married creep. The romance ruined wh
Margitte
Okay, so you get The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan, and then you get:

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Salinger Contract by Adam Langer
An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine
The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George
The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore #1 by Robin Sloan

I just wondered what the hell happened?

There's no comparison. This book is serious chick lit fluff, you know, a young jobless woman in distress, penniless and desperate t
Robin
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Awww, I loved this book about a librarian getting laid off from her readers' advisory job and opening a "bookshop-on-wheels" in Scotland. A tad predictable but so what, it was a fun journey. I was a public services librarian for 42 years and a bookmobile librarian for of 17 of those years, so the thoughts about helping patrons find just the right books to read really resonated. The setting in Scotland was very appealing (as were the love interests!) and I'm ready to book a trip!

The theme of rein
Malia
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
This was a sweet, though not too sweet, story about a young woman at loose ends who dreams of her own bookshop (I could identify). The story is a little predictable, but I rather enjoyed it. I have been reading a lot of crime fiction, and this was a lovely break amid the murder and mayhem!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
DeB MaRtEnS
It is definitely a book about books - and hunky Scottish men in kilts - and becoming everything you ever wanted to become if you can take the risk, and just buy the damn van, move to Scotland and get on with The Little Shop of Happy Ever After. But not QUITE my style any more, I have to say, even though I did read the Cinderella story to the end, especially since part way I realized that it was a bit of a take on that lovely old tale, Parnussus on Wheels by Christopher Morley.

Nina Redmond is a
The Bookshop on the Corner is an enjoyable book that most book lovers will likely appreciate. I liked it overall but I've come to the conclusion that Jenny Colgan's fiction and I just aren't compatible for a long-term love affair. The author's message to readers at the start of this book was my favorite thing. Her love note to the art of reading and all the books in the world instantly got my attention and put a smile on my face. The story itself was likable but unfortunately not memorable or en ...more
Christie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I checked this book out from the library because it sounded kind of like my life. For me, everything changed when I had to leave my job at an independent bookstore and then when it closed down for good. I had a great memory for where each book was, often what it looked like, who wrote it, what series it was in, what order the series went in, authors' pseudonyms, and what books people might like if they liked this book or that. My favourite was giving recommendations, hel ...more
♥ Sandi ❣
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥ Sandi ❣ by: LOR group read
3 stars

Very light unrestricted comical read. I ended up enjoying it more than I ever thought I would. This is the type book you pick up when you are in a reading slump or need to clean your palette after reading a number of intense books. I think it started very slow and came off as a very fluffy romance novel, however there was just seemed to be a tugging thread that kept me returning to the page.
In addition to being a light read in a very fanciful script, in retrospect I see a number of socie
Mike Sumner
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never taken much notice of the moniker - Chick-lit. Ever heard of Bloke-lit? No, neither have I. But the label Chick-lit probable puts off a lot of men from reading them and that's a pity. I came across Jenny Colgan's work through the pages of a Rosie Hopkins story and I was hooked. This latest offering from Jenny is just as enjoyable. I love books (don't we all?), I love people who love books and I have a certain envy of those who own and run a bookshop. So, how about a mobile bookshop? ...more
Connie
The busy city of Birmingham, England closes some of their smaller libraries, and Nina loses her job. She's always had a dream of owning her own bookstore. Nina buys a van and opens a mobile bookstore in a small village in Scotland. She loves her new life in the Highlands, and opens herself to new experiences. This is an entertaining light read that romantics and book lovers will enjoy. 3.5 stars.
Debbie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful, light summer read. Right from the start you realize that everything is probably going end well for everyone. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of Scotland and the books mentioned. This reminded me of another book, Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley. I feel sure that Jenny Colgan was influenced by this 100-year-old novel about a spinster who buys a horse-drawn caravan to sell books throughout New England.
Lynn
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reads
This is a charming book about second chances, in life and in love. And books.

When Nina Redmond loses her job as a librarian, she gets the crazy idea of buying an old van and turning it into a mobile bookstore. She moves out of the city into a cozy Scottish village, determined to make a new life for herself. While selling her books, she is able to match the perfect book with each customer. But will she ever find her own perfect match outside of a book store?

The story telling us delightful, told
Linda
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was one of those books that I hated to put down. Nina, is a enormous book lover and each book is special. Being a huge book lover myself, it was easy to root for Nina to be happy and successful. Nina loves to read and she buys a van and transforms it into a traveling bookstore. She moves to Scotland to start a new life after being laid off from her boring job. She takes a risk, moving to Scotland and creates her dream job.
This is the first book that I have read by Jenny Co
Angie

A true delight to read...I enjoyed the time spent reading Bookshop on the Corner immensely! Book-lovers will devour it, with the talk about books and all things bookish. It's light, well-paced, and hits you in the heart. The characters are a joy to read: fun, quirky, full of personality. Loved the setting too, makes me want to jump a plane and move to a village in Scotland. We also get to witness lots of personal growth of our heroine.

Highly recommended!

Side note--I think a different b
Sara
It's so fluffy! Light, predictable, and funny in parts; the writing is not bad, but there is absolutely no depth or subtlety in the storytelling or the character development. At all. My mind wandered a lot as I read this and when I made it to the end, I was disappointed by the tidily packaged "happy-ever-after" that mimicked every ridiculous, too-quick resolution throughout the book. My most adamant criticism is the ridiculous U.S. branding of this book.
Myrna
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Good book about the main character following her dream. Good summer read about books, the Scottish scenery, and romance.
Caity  C
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Nina, a book-lover, a quiet girl and a librarian in the city who does not get up to much. Then when faced with losing her job due to technology over-taking library services she decides to move to the Scottish highlands and begin to live out her fantasy of having a mobile bookshop. I must say I rooted for Nina and her new lifestyle to work out.
Gosh this is such a hard book to rate because I absolutely loved the premise of the storyline but I also felt the storyline lost it’s way a coupl
Lori
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That note to readers felt a bit like I was talking to myself.
Britany
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mmd, 2017, audiobook
Nina Redmond is on the cusp of losing her job at the library when they decide to close the library (the horror! Could you even imagine??) and so she decides to buy a van and create a book-mobile.

This book was cute and the narrator was excellent. I really enjoyed the lighter vibe with plenty of hijinks and heartwarming moments. A little too heavy on the love story aspect that made this slightly unrealistic. I wanted more books, less sappy romantic plot lines. The book tree was by far, my favorit
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Dual review with Swedish first and then English!

SWEDISH REVIEW

Ännu en fullträff! Efter att ha läst 2 böcker i Strandpromenadtrilogin så såg jag verkligen fram emot att läsa denna bok. Jag menar, bara titeln Den lilla bokhandeln runt hörnet är ju ljuvlig. frågan var dock, skulle denna bok vara lika charmig som Strandpromenadböckerna? Kan Nina charma mig lika mycket som Polly gjorde? Och hur ska en bok utan lunnefågeln Neil funka?

Faktum är att Den lilla bokhandeln runt hörnet är en alldeles ljuv
Yvonne
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nina is my kind of heroine…to put it simply, a lover of books. She can match readers to the perfect book for them to read. This is why she makes such a wonderful librarian. Unfortunately, the library she works at in Birmingham, England is closing and a huge corporation is taking over with a media center. A job and place she would definitely not be suited to work.

Overall, Nina is a quiet woman who doesn’t take risks. Now, due to necessity, things are changing. She needs a new career and job. To t
Melissa Rose
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jenny Colgan is one of those authors that I have been meaning to read for ages. So, I finally decided to check out 'The Bookshop on the Corner" from my local library's overdrive collection. Personally, I thought that idea of a young and almost out of work woman picking up her life to run a mobile bookshop in a village in Scotland sounded like an idyllic read for a bit of nighttime reading. I wasn't wrong.

First off, the novel’s setting is perfect. The author’s description of village life in Scotl
Kim
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, kindle, net-galley
You always know you are in for a real treat with a new Jenny Colgan book and this one was about a booklover who decides to run a mobile bookshop in Scotland. She travels up on a whim to look at a van for sale and a new life starts for her and all the locals in the village.

I loved the sound of the village and her grumpy landlord and the barn conversion that she is renting sounds like a real dream. I wanted to move up there to browse amongst the books to find a real gem.

I loved all the characters
Karina
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars... This was an easy feel good story about a late 20s girl named Nina. Getting laid off from her librarian job she sets out to live her dream of a van library far from the comfort of her home in England into rural Scotland. She lives out her dream, she gets lonely, she helps others and falls in love. Very girly indeed!! It was okay. I will say I like the author's sense of humor and wit in her writing.
Nancy
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bookworm's romance. The main character has to learn to live in the real world instead of through her books. She ends up doing this by having a mobile book shop in a small town where she engages with the people there through her books and eventually finds romance in the most unexpected place.
Cyndi
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wanted to like this book more than I did. Some of it was great, but most of it was just ok. I liked the concept of a traveling book store. But I kept thinking the van must have a bit of the T. A. R. D. I. S. in it. I can’t figure out how she fit everything she fit into it.
🤷🏼♀
Goodreads Librari...: Added a new book incorrectly 2 16 May 25, 2018 01:55AM
Looking for books about reading/books 13 112 May 10, 2018 06:31AM
  • Family Tree
  • Results May Vary
  • The Art of Ruining a Rake (The Scandalous Spinsters, #4)
  • Enraptured (Secrets of the Loch, #3)
  • The Temptations of Anna Jacobs (Dangerous Liaisons, #2)
  • Heart Strike (Delta Force #2)
  • Closed Casket
  • A Bed of Scorpions
  • Up In Flames: Body Heat\Caught in the Act
  • Gone Too Deep (Search and Rescue, #3)
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
  • Risk of Exposure (Alpha Ops, #6)
  • Hot in Hellcat Canyon (Hellcat Canyon, #1)
  • Everything's Relative
  • Playing Hard (New York Saints, #4)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity (Constance Verity #1)
  • The Secret Ingredient of Wishes
  • The Education of Dixie Dupree
Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams', which won the RNA Romantic ...more
“Just do something. You might make a mistake, then you can fix it. But if you do nothing, you can't fix anything. And your life might turn out full of regrets.” 36 likes
“Because every day with a book is slightly better than one without, and I wish you nothing but the happiest of days.” 21 likes