Start by marking “The Other Boy” as Want to Read:
The Other Boy

The Other Boy

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  969 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
A heartfelt and timely middle grade story about a transgender boy’s journey toward acceptance and empathy. Perfect for fans of George and Gracefully Grayson.

Published September 20th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Other Boy, please sign up.
The Mockingbird Girl I would say starting at 5th grade. That's when I read it. ( Its pretty good. )

Catherine ♡
*Thank you to Harper Collins for sending me an ARC of this book. This is my full and honest opinion.*

Actual Rating: 4.25

Meet Shane Woods. He is twelve-years old. He loves playing baseball and drawing his own graphic novel. Oh, and one more thing - he's transgender, something he's kept a secret even from his best friend Josh. But when he's found out, everything comes crashing down, and Shane has to learn how to be strong and love himself in a world that is constantly trying to push him down.

I fel
Erica
I specifically read this to compare with Lily and Dunkin because I want to find a middle grade/juvenile book that has a strong trans main character who seems like a good voice for trans youth but who also resonates with non-trans people so as to engage empathy. I think this one did better than that one and I definitely enjoyed it more, as a reader, but I'm not sure the mark has yet been hit.

Shane's life is going well. He's a star pitcher on the baseball team, his best friend is awesome, his mom
Trevor
Milka
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, middle-grade
Oh man, this book was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. Not only did it manage to make me feel a lot of different things, it also taught me something new. I think that kind of reading experiences are always the most rewarding ones.

The Other Boy is a story of 12-year-old Shane. He is on 6th grade, loves baseball and draws a graphic novel about a man called Hogan Fillion (named after his childhood dog Hogan and his favorite actor from Firefly, Nathan Fillion) on his spare time. He has a best friend called Jos
Sara
I struggle with reviewing books like this. On the one hand, I have been searching and searching for a children's/teen book about a trans BOY. I feel like every book for younger readers about a trans character is about a trans girl. So the fact that this book exists at all makes me happy and fills a need.

But...it's...not...that good.

#1: The author isn't trans. It is hard for me to know how authentic the experience is without the author being from within the experience. It SEEMED OK to me, but si
Lily
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I gave The Other Boy four stars because of the unique topic. I really liked how the story touched on an important topic that authors usually steer sway from. I think it is really important to know about. I enjoyed reading about what people go through when they live a different lifestyle. M. G. Hennessy shared a powerful message through a character people can relate to socially. Overall, The Other Boy got a four star rating from me.
Short  Reviews
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Finished this book in one sitting.
Review to come.
Brittany
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book isn’t the perfect transgender narrative, yet it’s pretty close for a middle grade read. Albeit, I’m sure critics will say that Shane’s parents were on the extremely supportive side and that’s extremely rare, I loved looking through the lens of a preteen in transition because it made me think about how I’d support my students in this position.

Shane’s struggles seem real: protecting his identity, beginning to date, divorced parents with different opinions, jerkface bullies.

Yet, he has a
Amy
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ab-arc-8-2016
arc from edelweiss

Summary: A rock-solid “issue” novel about a male-identified transgender with credible male dialogue and a brisk plot pacing. Will appeal to a wide range of readers, including those with no prior connection to trans* issues.

Review: When readers meet sixth grader Shane Woods, they learn a few important things about him. They learn that he’s an ace pitcher, that he has a best friend, Josh, and that his divorced parents act coolly towards each other. He has a major crush on a redh
Oliver Grin
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
I'm glad to finally be seeing some stories focused on transboys, and I look forward to the day when the narratives about trans* folks no longer have to be so heteronormative in order to be palatable to non-trans folks. Overall, this was a good book, and I think it could really help someone out who might be in the thick of questioning or transitioning. No, Shane's life wasn't fraught with hardships, but he faced some real (real life) challenges, and it was good to see him overcome those obstac
Rachel León
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, middle-grade
(3.5 stars, rounded up because I love fiction featuring transgender characters in a non-stereotypical way)

This novel certainly has its flaws, but I'm always excited to see middle grade novels featuring transgender kids. I thought the story was good, but there are some definite issues, such as comparing being transgendered with having cerebral palsy. Regardless, it's a pretty good story.
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}
This was a short, sweet and quick read with an important message. I loved it. I loved the writing, the story, the characters,... All of it. Highly recommended!

Review to come. Probably.
Chris
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually write reviews, but a scroll through the comments showed me there weren't a lot of trans folks reviewing this book and I didn't see any reviews from female to male trans folks. Granted, I didn't read every review. I started identifying as male as early as around three or four. This was in the early 70s, so times were very different. I didn't know there was such a thing as being transgendered until I was 15. And then, it was only trans women and generally treated as a curiosity. I ...more
Abduraafi Andrian
Setelah sekian lama, akhirnya merasakan lagi pengalaman meminjam buku di perpustakaan, membawanya pulang ke rumah, menyelesaikannya, dan mengembalikannya. Mengenyampingkan timbunan yang sudah bertumpuk di sisi tempat tidur, aku terabas buku ini karena ceritanya seru dan sedikit tidak biasa.

Bercerita anak laki-laki transgender Shane yang jago sekali bermain baseball. Ia sudah lebih dari tiga tahun tinggal bersama ibunya di Los Angeles setelah meninggalkan masa lalunya di San Fransisco. Di sekolah
Pedro
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
this is what books are meant for. To have empathy and begin to understand the perspective of other people.
The Other Boy is geared for 6th and 7th graders. it is the story of a transgender boy dealing with middle school boy issues. It has interesting characters and shows what support looks like.
it is a great addition to my classroom library!
Mayla
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the plot of this book and how it told about struggles of transgender people.
Jenni Frencham
Hennessy, M.G. The Other Boy. HarperCollins, 2016.

Shane loves baseball, drawing and writing his own graphic novel, and spending time with his best friend, Josh. Shane hasn’t told anyone at his school that he is transgender, but when a classmate finds out Shane’s secret and spreads it to the rest of the school, Shane has to deal with the consequences in his friendships and especially with his crush.

A middle grade novel in the vein of George and Gracefully Grayson, this book features a middle sch
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Twelve-year-old Shane Woods is just a regular boy. He loves pitching for his baseball team, working on his graphic novel, and hanging out with his best friend, Josh. But Shane is keeping something private, something that might make a difference to his teammates, to Josh, and to his new crush, Madeline. And when a classmate threatens to reveal his secret, Shane’s whole world comes crashing down. It will take a lot of courage for Shane to ignore the hate and show the world that he’s still the same ...more
Ben Ace
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It's not often that I find a book with a transgender main character that I have very little criticism of. Shane is a typical sixth-grader preoccupied with baseball and trying to talk to his crush, Madeline. When a classmate finds out that Shane is transgender, he threatens to tell the whole school, which would shatter Shane's image among his peers who may not understand that being trans doesn't make him any less of a boy. It's a book of ups and downs that highlights the strugg ...more
Hillary Whittington
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, and had a hard time putting it down once I started reading it. As the parent of a transgender child, there were so many relatable and enlightening aspects of this book. It prepared me for for what the future may hold, and gave me a different perspective in many ways. There are so many challenges throughout the teenager years, and I am hoping this book will allow others to have more empathy and love for the extra hurdles transgender kids face. In a perfect world, chi ...more
Saloni Howard-sarin
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A book meant to create understanding and compassion. A quick read - I read it in one day. In some ways it left me wanting more but the then you realize the story is complete. A timely topic - my understanding of trans topics is being increased with every story and this was no exception. The characters were very real and you could identify with each and every one, even the dad who is having a difficult time processing it but clearly cares about the child. Before the book, I had found myself wonde ...more
Maureen
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some of us are beginning to understand more of what transgender people go through. However, I still believe people do not really know. This book is is a good beginning and place to start, moving towards greater understanding and recognizing that we can no longer have two genders. People need to be able to be themselves. I do hope this book will help children and teens.
Kazia
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer
Disappointingly, this one's definitely got some major problems.
Lara Lillibridge
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I did not plan on reading this book. I was going to read a free sample on kindle and decide if I should order if for my kids or not, and then get back to work. Well, that didn't happen. I got completely sucked in right away and have gotten nothing else down until I finished it. Then, since my kids lost their kindle, I bought it in paper for them to read.

I'll update this after one or both of my kids have read it. The danger of reviewing any book for children as an adult is that we
Lexi Gibson
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Briannag
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The other boy by M.G. Hennessey is about this transgender boy, Shane woods who moved schools after being bullied. But at this new school he never told anyone about being transgender. His father isn't so supportive but when Shane's secret comes out and his world comes tumbling down what will happen.
My favorite part is when a boy in Shane's new school tries to get Shane to pull down his pants and another kid pants the bully.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is into recent events and a boo
E Hella
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: upper-elementary
Excellenttttt trans narrative for middle grad audiences. This book gets so much right. I love that the plot takes place years after the protagonist has transitioned--that choice alone allows this book to gracefully do so much work in normalizing trans kids and their lives.
Samantha DeBlois
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love reading The Other Boy because it gave the reader an insight in to what it's like being transgender and a teenager in todays world. This book touched my heart and I really enjoyed reading it. It definitely was one of my favorite books.
Carolyn
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jae
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
From the flap, I thought this might finally be a trans character whose book wasn't all about transition. I'm afraid I was disappointed.
KMS Gr6 Library: The Other Boy 1 2 Sep 17, 2017 11:36AM
  • Jess, Chunk, and the Road Trip to Infinity
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • My Seventh-Grade Life in Tights
  • Girl Mans Up
  • The Rise and Fall of a Theater Geek (Justin Goldblatt, #2)
  • True Letters from a Fictional Life
  • Mark of the Plague (The Blackthorn Key, #2)
  • Promposal
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • Quarantine: Stories
  • Two Naomis
  • How to Make a Wish
  • The Journey
  • Quest Maker (The Last Dragon Charmer #2)
  • A Most Magical Girl

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Girl on a Wire (Cirque American #1)