Start by marking “I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything for Our Kids” as Want to Read:
I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything for Our Kids

I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything for Our Kids

One day, third-grade teacher Kyle Schwartz asked her students to fill-in-the-blank in this sentence: "I wish my teacher
knew _____." The results astounded her. Some answers were humorous, others were heartbreaking-all were profoundly moving and enlightening. The results opened her eyes to the need for educators to understand the unique realities their students face in order
Published July 12th 2016 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

Dannii Elle
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this on a read-to-review basis from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, Kyle Schwartz, and the publisher, Da Capo Lifelong Books, for the opportunity.

This is a set of essays formulated in response to one teacher asking her students the question, 'I wish my teacher knew _____.' The responses she gathered, all that she learned and the wide-spread fame of the assignment shocked her, and this is the amalgamated copy of the various things she acquired, read and gained from the experiment.

T
Annette
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Wish Every Teacher Would Read...

When Kyle Schwartz asked her elementary students to complete the sentence "I wish my teacher knew...", she did something extraordinary and her students rewarded her with their honesty.

"I wish my teacher knew I didn't have pencils at home to do my homework", wrote one little girl. Soon enough, Kyle had set her mind to addressing all of the issues faced by her students.

Kyle Schwartz doesn't pretend to be the perfect teacher - she freely admits that she's made her
Nada
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: r-ng
I Wish My Teacher Knew by Kyle Schwartz is not the book I expected. The publicity for the book implies that the book is about student responses to the author's question. It's not. Rather, this book is research, case studies, and techniques for elementary teachers. In addition, the format of the ebook makes for difficult reading. On the other hand, if the book impacts even one teacher's ability to teach one student, it will change a life for the better. And, for that, I wish it success.

Read my c
Erin
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley for sending me an e-Arc of this book. Although I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything for Our Kids revolves around one teacher's experience in the US classroom, there are plenty of universal themes that ring true in education. One of the most important elements is that it is important to make a connection with each and every student that enters your classroom.

A highly engaging teacher tool that wasn't too "textbookish!"
Kellie
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. Of course, I had seen the articles around the time the "I Wish My Teacher Knew" exercise went viral, so I was curious as to what would be in a book by the same teacher.

Thankfully, the book goes a bit beyond that exercise, and it focuses on building strong classroom communities. There is a good bit of research involved, as well, on what today's students are likely dealing with outside of school.

Chapters include:
1. Welcome and Farewells: Building Commun
Virginia
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking and with plenty of relevant advice. The style of the writing makes it easy to read. The character of some of the real examples shared, often heartbreaking, made it quite hard to read. A book worth reading by teachers of any level!
Rhonda Spilde
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I will keep it as one I plan to reread in the summer. Note a ton of new information but many good reminders for buildings relationships within the classroom.
Jennifer Clausen-greene
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic book that every single teacher should read. It starts off explaining the project the author came up with for her to get to know her students better. It then goes on to explain the number of things the students had to say and how they're very important for a teacher to know to properly teach and engage students. It's well researched, clear, and has lots of personal examples. My only issue with this book, had nothing to do with the writing.

The bad: Formatting: I got this book a
Mandy
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

The title of this book should actually be changed to "The Things All Teachers Should Know". I really think that everything Kyle Schwartz put in this book is absolutely essential to every single teacher, classroom, and administrator...no matter what teaching philosophy you have, or how many years you've taught. If anything, this book would be a great refresher to read every year to get ready for the next. I wish I would have read it in college - it would be a great introduction to teaching
Nicole
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I Wish My Teacher Knew by Kyle Schwartz is a must read for all teachers. The book is a set of essays based from student responses to the question "I wish my teacher knew___________." The teacher asked her questions the above question and the information she gathered from the assignment shocked her but helped to gain necessary information from her students about them.

The book begins by explaining the project that the teacher/author created in order to get to know her students better. The author
Malka
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book goes through issues that students may be going through, such as a death in the fami
Melissa
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley

I received a copy of the book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The format of this book is poorly done which makes it very hard to follow in some places. It reads like a textbook, but instead of the "box" off to the corner of side, it's right in the middle of the paragraph. Which breaks up the paragraph and causes the reader to have to go back to figure out what's going on. I'm not sure if this is because it's an ARC or if that's how it's going to read as an e-book.

Another way it
Heather
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The most recent book I read was I Wish My Teacher Knew by Kyle Schwartz. I’m not a teacher, but I really liked this book. I Wish My Teacher Knew is a book about how you, as an educator (in any role, I don’t believe you have to be a teacher only), can show your students that you care about them and that they matter. It had some thought-provoking ideas on how you can get kids engaged in your classroom. Not just with learning, but also when new students arrive and current ones leave, how to involve ...more
Dirty Dayna
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
What happens when one assignment changes everything you thought you knew?
This is a teachers book about her assignment and her various student reactions to it. It also goes on to show research into some poverty areas. I am not a teacher but there are great aids in here if you are one

I got this book as an ARC so I am not sure how it will appear once published but the ARC has grey areas and normal print areas and pictures are usually hard to read or just black squares. The formatting overall was
SerialReader
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A touching portrayal of a teacher who brings inspirations to the lives of her students.
That's what happen when your teacher cares about you.

Read more on The Serial Reader Blog.
Snow
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jesse Miller
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was inspired by a simple question in the author's 3rd-grade class, a question initially intended to get to know her class. She asked her students to finish the sentence "I wish my teacher knew...", and the results were funny, sobering, and occasionally shocking. Apparently the idea of the lesson went viral a couple of years ago. I had not heard of it before. The book has only a little to do with that lesson in particular. Instead, it uses the idea of things that students wish they coul ...more
Danielle
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ok, this review isn't because I thought the book was bad or didn't have some good points, but what he wrote and presented throughout was nothing new. Any good teacher that went to a college with a solid education program and continues to want to learn throughout their career has heard these tips many times over. I will say that, fresh out teacher or students learning to be teachers might value the book because it does give some good tips for younger grades and fairly short.

The other problem wit
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
**This book was reviewed for Perseus, De Capo Press via Netgalley.

Schwartz’ poignant book is a testimony to the impact and power a teacher has. Rather than going through the mere drudgery of teaching, day in, day out, Schwartz went out of her way to really get to know her students. Teachers really play the role of psychologist and sociologist, in addition to their 'job’ of passing along information.

Kids of all ages have myriad problems most people either don't know, or don't care about, but tho
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was lead to believe that the book would be about the question, 'I wish my Teacher Knew' and that the book would have the answers to how the students answered the question. What it ended up being like is every 3 or 4 pages there would be that particular question and the answer and the rest of the book was the author/teacher explaining how to be more effective in the classroom with a variety of students. And explaining the courage it took for some of the students to even answer the question. The ...more
Shannon
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I am not a teacher, I am a school administrator and a parent of three children and, therefore, I found great value in reading this book! I have used the content - the research, the personal stories, and the resources/tools - to start conversations with my own children about the varying needs/experiences/unique realities of children in their classrooms. I have also opened dialogue with my children’s teachers about building community in the classroom, and I personally reflect on Ms. Schwartz ...more
Katherine Claussen
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST read for anyone currently in the classroom, in education in general, administration, or perusing a career in education. 🤜🏻
Kyle Schwartz does a phenomenal job sharing this amazing movement with the world and lays out ways to implement this into your classroom! 👏🏻 I plan to take MANY of her wonderful ideas to use in my classroom this coming school year and can just FEEL the impact of relationships this is going to have on my students! ❤
Tia
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A very helpful resource - for myself, being a new teacher, it had many thought-provoking and note-worthy ideas. However, it was VERY USA based, and as a Canadian I found that it was quite hard to relate to many situations discussed in the book. Not exactly what I expected, however still appreciated the ideas. Likely the most valuable piece of the entire book being the last four pages where you're given ways to incorporate the "I wish my teacher knew" activity into your classroom.
Rebecca Lloyd
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I discovered this teaching idea on social media and bought the book to learn more about it. The book, while interesting, did not reveal as much about the author's experiences with this teaching idea as I had hoped. As a veteran teacher, most of what was covered was common knowledge to me. BUT~a novice teacher would learn a lot and it would help shape his/her viewpoint on teaching the "whole child".
Megan Dudte
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The concept is awesome. I don't think the book itself is a must-read for (current) teachers. I feel like the title of each chapter (and the concept itself) is enough - I did not need to read an explanation of each example...I have learned a lot of this already just from teaching. This book might be better for student teachers or those considering teaching. But again, the concept is great and something I want to try with my students.
Jessica
*I received an eARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

My eARC was a little hard to read at times, the formatting didn't show properly on my kindle and the personal stories sprinkled throughout the novel were "printed" in a lighter font color, making it very difficult to see. Difficulties aside, I thought this was a practical book filled with both anecdotes and actual research. Recommended reading for all teachers!
Summer Schmidt
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book would be more about the responses given. While it wasn’t, and I was a little disappointed about that, it still contained excellent content. I think every educator should read this. It gives great insight into the challenges that our students face. It also has several great ideas to build communities within the classroom.
Michael Bell
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
There was a lot of content in this book that I was already familiar with. Adverse childhood experiences effect many of the youth that we serve. Listening skills are one of the most important attributes of any educator. There were case studies from throughout the U.S. and other countries. It is an excellent resource book also.
Lori
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is more geared towards elementary aged children. Which is great. I was looking for something more on the level of high school at- risk aged teens. However, it had a lot of great ideas. Especially for first year teachers at the grade school level.
Katiebeth
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Though I love the activity with my class and truly believe in the purpose behind the book, I felt overall the read was a bit redundant. Like, it would have made an incredible blog post, but in my opinion it was less impactful as a book. Great work and great philosophy though!
  • Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach
  • Fight for the Forgotten: How a Mixed Martial Artist Stopped Fighting for Himself and Started Fighting for Others
  • Dogtology: Live. Bark. Believe.
  • The Mysticism of Sound and Music
  • Raising the Curve: A Year Inside One of America's 45,000* Failing Public Schools
  • American Indian Stories and Old Indian Legends
  • White Kids: Growing Up with Privilege in a Racially Divided America
  • Elle & Coach: Diabetes, the Fight for My Daughter's Life, and the Dog Who Changed Everything
  • Radical Reflections: Passionate Opinions on Teaching, Learning, and Living
  • Big Backpack - Little World
  • Blackboard: A Personal History of the Classroom
  • Ghost of Sangju
  • Inside Mrs. B.'s Classroom: Courage, Hope, and Learning on Chicago's South Side
  • Stolen Kisses (Blushing Bay, #2)
  • Freedom: The Sequel to Slave
  • Mother and the Tiger: A Memoir of the Killing Fields
  • Rescue the Captors (Rescue the Captors #1)
  • Substitute: Going to School With a Thousand Kids
“No significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” 0 likes
“If my students are to meet every inch of their academic potential, I must understand the barriers to education that exist for them.” 0 likes