Start by marking “Kulkosvaidžius paruošt!” as Want to Read:
Kulkosvaidžius paruošt!

Kulkosvaidžius paruošt!

Vietnamas 1968

Jauno amerikiečių kulkosvaidininko beletrizuotuose atsiminimuose gyvai atsiskleidžia kareivio gyvenimas Vietname 1968 metais. Skaitytojas lydi nedidelį jūrų pėstininkų būrį, be pabaigos klajojantį po džiungles ir ieškantį Vietkongo partizanų. Gniuždantis drėgmės prisotintas karštis, milžiniškas fizinis krūvis, nuolatinė įtampa ir susirėmimai su priešu, nuolat
Published 2011 by Vox Altera (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Kulkosvaidžius paruošt!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kulkosvaidžius paruošt!

Art
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Nam.
Recommended to Art by: Terry Linscott Sr.
I really enjoyed this book.
The Corps and Vietnam from a 1st person point of view.
My unit in Germany had the best kept and firing M60's in our Battalion. I was real proud of this due to that of the use of gun jeeps in my unit.
Also I liked how Chan kept quoting scripture to the author and in the end, He quoted Chan's words back to him.
Outstanding book.
I would read more of Clark's work.
Gary Chamberland
A different perspective of the Vietnam War. Told from the view of a PFC 0331 grunt. Just the down and dirty of day to day life and death actions taken by the individual Marine. Many of the books on this topic are written by officers who see the war through a wider lens. This was a more down and dirty, do what your'e told without know why. The friendships made and lost.
I enjoyed every aspect of this book. I was especially pleasantly surprised to see that I had actually served under one of the cha
Christian Cederberg
Outstanding novel about being a lowly machinegunner in Vietnam
S.
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended as "one of the top Vietnam War memoirs" (I think actually by a UK newspaper, possibly by a UK war writer), GUNS UP! is a sort of full-blooded, full-throated war memoir that follows a Marine ranker and his best friend, Andrew Chan, a Chinese-American, who are both machine gun operators and summoned by the call "Guns up!" when their platoon makes contact.

It's an odd feeling, dealing with war classics. You know on the one hand that posterity has declared this to be a memoir classic, but
Ed
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life as a Combat Veteran...... well described.

This book is one of the best in describing the existence and survival of a combat veteran in Vietnam. I was a RTO roaming the hills around Dak To, Kontum during the Tet Offinsive, and even though I was Army, life in the bush was the same. I was also wounded and received the Purple Heart.......but unlike some of my "brothers who gave all" I was able to return home.
Mr Clark's account of the miserable life, and the constant fear in attempting to survi
Charles Marcoe
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Semper Fi uh rah!!!!

I'm also a Marine vet. who was there during this time period,and I just want to say that the descriptions and recollections in this book are the real deal. He has captured the crazy mixed up way that it messed up who you thought you were as a person,and also how you knew then,and know now that some part of you is buried there in that far off land.
Roger C. Sellman
Absolutely great read.

I was sorry when the book ended. I wanted to read more. I would recommend this book to anyone that would like to learn more about that horrible war.
It is very sad how the news media twisted the facts, and many people believed their lies. They haven't changed.
Ben B
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Enjoyable, if shallow, memoir of the Vietnam War through the eyes of a Marine
Pete
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was totally engaging and very satisfying. It succeeds on several levels. The account is from a 'grunts' perspective so you get the undiluted reality of what bush warfare is all about. The action is intense but there is also a good mix of dark humor to keep the story from becoming completely grim. Clark is both honest and humble and his Vietnam journey is also a journey of spiritual awakening and faith.
Tim
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in high school--just pulled it off the shelf while on a dreary road-trip vacation with my family, which was pure, stifling hell. This book was my relief. Pure tonic. I loved it. It was my first exposure to the American Vietnam war, and that relationship has lasted a lifetime. I'm giving it five stars for all of that.
Robert F. Tanner
War is Hell

Extremely held my interest. I was there (Vietnam) but as a Seabee. I didn't experience the adrenaline rushes of close combat and glad I didn't. War is sad but if you survive, you have friends for life. The author definitely put you next to him during the fire fights.

John
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aa great read

This book projects how brave the young men were that served in Vietnam. The men that served in the bush lived a very rough life. The people that rejected them when they came home should ashamed of themselves. They are truly heroes.
Hugh McCarron
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mindaugas
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Man labai patiko ši knyga!!
Michael Burnam-Fink
Guns Up! is a red-blooded war memoir by a Marine machine gunner. Clark's war was ugly: arriving in-country just after the Tet offensive, he marched through minefields, terrible weather, and endless jungle and mountain patrols. The big M60 that he carried was a life-saver for the squad, but the stream of orange tracers guaranteed return fire, and machine gunners reportedly had a 7.5 second life expectancy in combat (I want to know which RAND analyst figured that out, and who told the grunts.) The ...more
Richard
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guns up! Is a very good book about a young Marine during the Vietnam war. There is a lot of gut wrenching scenes described and a lot of heart break. You will learn more of what those brave men we're doing in Vietnam.
The first thing I noticed about this book was the fast paced story telling. The flow if you will. I am used to authors describeing, sometimes in too great, of detail the environments and settings of the characters and places.
This book seemed to speed along from one important point t
Sandra Strange
So I'm really trying to find some nonfiction of quality that would convert my students to this different kind of reading. I'm reading a LOT of nonfiction, but having particular trouble finding accounts of soldiers and war that might appeal to my male students but without sexual references and language that would bring community wrath down upon us. This version treats a soldier's experiences as a gunner in Viet Nam, with language very much censored by the author; however, he DIDN'T censor quite e ...more
Sam Yang
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book that tells of the life in Vietnam. John Clark was an average soldier, not special ops or anything just a gunner. He tells of his training back in the U.S. and his mentor, Red, one of the most decorated men that died in Vietnam and holding off VC sappers/engineers. John Clark also had a friend named Chan who sticks with him throughout the war and after the war, they are some of the few veterans that stayed friends when they returned to the United States. Another great thing about ...more
Joe Gande
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Joe by: My nephew
Just finished up this awesome book..and want to reread it again already!! Everyone should read this book! It is REAL and it is gut wrenching and very sad...But... it also shows such emotion, bonding, friendship, humor, camaraderie...Being since I was a child a military supporter, enthusiast and huge war buff...I found this book riveting...but like I said..I really think that everyone should read it...I still can't wrap my head around what our soldiers went through...what a true nightmare...it is ...more
Greg Schroeder
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast-paced, grunt's eye view of the Vietnam War; a first hand account of life "in the bush". Mr. Clark was a machinegunner with the 5th Marines in 1968. He arrived as a "boot" just as the Tet offensive was winding down. The book is modestly and honestly written. Mr. Clark does a superb job telling it "like it was" and does not whitewash or embellish. My only complaints, and they are minor, is that there is little context for the reader. The war, literally, is reduced to the hundred met ...more
Wally Rice
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very good read.
The author is obviously a practicing Christian. The book is raw in its combat detail but without the course language that surely would have been typical of the setting. The Christian undertones in the book provide a strangely comforting sense to the situations the author experienced. I really liked that aspect.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to "view" the hell that was Viet Nam for our fighting men during that terrible time.
Bill Conrad
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guns Up immediately got me into the story. It is a great account of jungle fighting in the Vietnam War as told by a person who experienced it firsthand. This was not some big adventure with a fantastic over-the top plot. It was a down to earth account of being alongside combat buddies while trying to survive. The story was personal, realistic with a lot of detail and it made for a great read. I think about this book often and have recommended it to several friends.
Jay
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
As a Marine veteran [of OIF], of course I'm going to like this book, but it goes beyond that. This is by far the best book on Vietnam I have read, it really gets down and dirty to give you the story from a grunts point of view. I laughed as he mocked pogues as I saw his experience from 40 years ago mirror what grunts still do to this day. This book will make you laugh, make you feel sad when someone dies, and definitely give you chills. A must read for anyone who has the ability to read.
Reader2007
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vietnam
This is a book about the war in Vietnam. It's a true story, written by a marine who survived harrowing situations. It's well written, and there seems to be a pervasive Christian theme throughout the book, which is good. But that doesn't necessarily make it a Christian book...there is swearing etc... wouldn't recommend to anyone.
Kieran
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I could not believe how tough this must have been. How hard to accept the fact that your life was in the hands of politicians and 'pogues' who were not themselves in danger.

I can understand that a lot of people disagreed with the Vietnam war, but not with the fact that the returning vets had such a hard time.

I recommend this book to anyone, especially if you don't think you have courage.
Bill S.
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-history
The author, obviously a devout Christian, makes a point in the book's epilogue of saying he the swear words in order to give the book a better chance of being sold. To read a book about soldiers in combat without a single word just doesn't ring true.

Other than that minor complaint a very entertaining and well done book.
Earle F. stone
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional

This book is amazing! I found myself thinking I was actually there. I could hardly put the book down. Nobody should have to through want these Marines went through. For bless them all!
Sherrilc78
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband wanted me to read and it was good!
Cynthia
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not my normal type of reading material, But I culdn't put it down.
Pete
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. It's a story of sacrifice, faith, courage, and war that is really powerful.
  • Hill 488
  • Recondo: LRRPs in the 101st Airborne
  • The Village
  • Blood on the Risers: An Airborne Soldier's Thirty-five Months in Vietnam
  • The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam
  • Days of Valor: An Inside Account of the Bloodiet Six Months of the Vietnam War
  • Blackhorse Riders: A Desperate Last Stand, an Extraordinary Rescue Mission, and the Vietnam Battle America Forgot
  • Across The Fence: The Secret War In Vietnam
  • Reflections of a Warrior: Six Years as a Green Beret in Vietnam
  • The Boys of ’67: Charlie Company’s War in Vietnam
  • Into the Mouth of the Cat: The Story of Lance Sijan, Hero of Vietnam
Librarian Note: Also writes as Johnnie Clark

Johnnie Clark was wounded 3 times with famous 5th Marine Regiment as a machine gunner. He was awarded the Silver Star, 3 Purple Hearts, The Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry among other decorations. GUNS UP! was his first book, a non-fiction classic now in a 34th printing. It has been required reading in many high schools and colleges as well as the Commanda