Start by marking “Lament (The Ghost House Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Lament (The Ghost House Saga #1)

Lament

(The Ghost House Saga #1)

From the New York Times bestselling author of the Halo trilogy comes a beautiful and powerful new novel.

Alex is more real than anyone I've ever known. And him being dead…really doesn't change a thing.

After the loss of her mother, Chloe Kennedy again starts seeing the ghosts that haunted her as a child. Spending time at her grandmother's country estate in Engl
Published August 30th 2016 by Harlequin Teen (first published August 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lament, please sign up.
Belen there's this book called ashes to ashes that is also about ghosts
Natasha Lee I was looking at a website earlier to find out about the next book and actually saw this where she said about how she was sure that there were ghosts …moreI was looking at a website earlier to find out about the next book and actually saw this where she said about how she was sure that there were ghosts in a house she lived in...

“The ghost sightings Chloe describes from her childhood are drawn from my own personal experiences,” said Adornetto. “I am 100% convinced the house I lived in growing up was haunted. A lot of strange things went on there, although everything that happens to Chloe at Grange Hall is fictional. I wish the ghosts I encountered were cute 19th century gentlemen!”(less)

Start your review of Lament (The Ghost House Saga #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
So this was what passion felt like! This was what prompted lovers to take wild risks. I understood now how invincible Romeo and Juliet had felt.
Maybe she's born with it...Maybe it's Twilight...only worse.

Grab a bottle of vodka, settle in. This is going to be a long fucking review, guys.

A beautiful young woman, attractive to everyone but herself, is torn from her mother. She is sent off to a wild, rural town to live with a relative she barely knows. Her father is distant, cold, not quite sure
Anne
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

It's readable, I finished it, and it might be a keeper if you're part of the under 18 crowd.
There. I was nice.

I didn't research the author or the book before I requested it from NetGalley, so I went into this with no preconceived notions.
As I was reading this, I assumed two things:
1) This was probably the author's first book.
2) This was probably a self-published novel.

So. Imagine my shock when I finished the book, and found out that neither of those things
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from BEA 2014.

I am no stranger to Alexandra Adornetto's work; against my better judgment, I read her entire Halo trilogy and hated almost every page of it for its anti-feminist themes, internalized misogyny, poor plotting/pacing/writing, and general poor quality. Ghost House was never something on my radar, but it ended up in my possession at BEA and I didn't want to just abandon it. According to some behind-the-scenes gossip I he
Rose
Pre-read: Oh wow, I think...this may be my very first read from the author here.

I'm going in, guys. Seriously, I'm taking the plunge. Let's hope it turns out well. *crosses fingers*

Post-read: Upon finishing "Ghost House", I feel a myriad of frustrations along several levels, but the one comment I've made that my mind keeps coming back is this: "If this book had been put in the hands of a more capable writer, this could've actually been a good story, despite how formulaic it was. Unfortunately, t
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

*In no way am I trying to criticize the author. I am simply giving my honest opinion on a novel and I just happened to no enjoy it.*

I moved schools at the start of this year. When I moved schools, I found out the most exciting news: Alexandra Adornetto was a past student from my current school. In fact, she had the same English teacher as me. I CANNOT STRESS THIS AWESOMENESS. So, despite the fact that her Halo series was not all that promising, I decided
Alec
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, some of you people are very harsh on this new book. I, for one, am really excited to read this book.

As a fan to the Halo books, her style has really been enlightening. Other authors who write about angels seem to take it very seriously. By having Beth, the angels seem to appeal more as humans.

Why are there people going against this book? All we have is a summary people. We don't have the full blown novel to discuss over. Why shoot down the dove before it takes flight?

____________________
Nasty Lady MJ
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really 1.5 stars. To see full review click here

MJ: I think this is the year to fuck up with Meg Cabot series. First the Princess Diaries series got fucked over by Royally Lost and now Alexandra Adornetto is bastardizing The Mediator series.

Why? Alexandra Adornetto of all people?

What was Harlequin Teen thinking? Maybe they recommend the series to Adornetto so that she could get a feeling of what a strong female character but…

You know what, I’ve done enough talking. I think it’s time to take this
Ghost House reminded me of The Mediator series by Meg Cabot, in the way the paranormal aspect was incorporated, and I was actually excited for a while until a crushing thought came over me: Ghost House and I are not a good fit. It's like trying to mix gasoline and water together. In hindsight, I should've seen it coming. Still, this was a risk I took, so I have no one to blame but myself and my apparent naivety.

The writing was all over the place. Metaphors and adjectives were used poorly and ext
Crowinator
Here is a representative sample of the writing in this book. Let me set the scene: Chloe's mother has just died, and she is at the grave site with her father and brother. She says of her dad, "His face was an open book, proclaiming his loss. But who could blame him? My parents had always believed their relationship was strong enough to weather any storm, except death, I guessed." [p. 11]

You...GUESS?
Debbie Narh
May 22, 2014 marked it as might-finish-later  ·  review of another edition
I read one chapter.

One fucking chapter and I know this novel will be shit. I am pissed off.

description
Montzalee Wittmann
Ghost House (The Ghost House Saga #1) by Alexandra Adornetto is such a great book, it just ripped my heart out so many times! Oh, I can't tell you how awesome this ghost story is. Scary, wonderful, romantic, haunting beautiful and sad. A fantasy I am so glad I picked up from the library. This is sooooo good, I would read it again and I never re-read books! Yes, that good. LOVED it.
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
What did you first think when you first saw the cover?

A) Looks dark and spooky. Ooh! That title! Gives me the chills! Yep, onto the TBR list.
B) Meh. I've seen spookier. But I will admit, I am intrigued...
C) Sounds like every other generic YA PNR. I'll pass.

Unfortunately, I fall in the B category. Unfortunately, I believe in author redemption. Having read an excerpt of Halo, I had almost written off Alexandra Adornetto from my TBR list. But then I heard of the premise of Ghost House, and immedi
Charlotte
Feb 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave this book a one-star rating and it's not even out yet. I'm judging it unfairly! you whine. Well, I already know this book is going to be shit, and here's why.

_____

Listen. ALLY ADORNETTO WRITES SHIT. It's an unequivocal fact. Her books are misogynistic, sexist, vaguely racist and MORE than vaguely anything-that-isn't-blatantly-white-rich-and-Christian phobic. (Here's to you, Halo. You couldn't suck more if you tried.) I haven't read her Strangest Adventures series, which she apparently bega
Bern
You know something's wrong when a book titled Ghost House is described as "beautiful and powerful".

Is it too much to ask that suckish YA authors stop trying to twist good clichés into bad fanfiction for tweens?
Natalie Monroe
Aug 29, 2014 marked it as never-ever-ever-reading-this  ·  review of another edition
EDIT 2/10/2014: A lot of reviewers are comparing its premise to The Mediator series by Meg Cabot. I now see why Cabot has brought Suze out of retirement: it's to undo the god-awful mess Adornetto has cooked up and bring honor back to the falling-in-love-with-a-ghost plot.

I may just read it for the lolz at this point. Then again, why settle for a pale imitator when you can read the original?

Pre-review: I see the series name is called The Ghost House Saga.

Now, is this a real saga, which is defi
Micheala George
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HOW COULD IT END LIKE THAT?
I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS NOW.

MY REVIEW
Ghost House is the first book that I have read by Alexandra Adornetto; but I have to say, I really do not understand why so many people give her books bad reviews. I saw many negative reviews for Ghost House before the book was even out; but I did not let that stop me from getting my hands on this romantic ghost story, and I am glad I didn’t. I really enjoyed this book.

I think that Alexander was a great character, along with Joe
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and NetGalley.)
17-year-old Chloe is devastated when her mother dies unexpectedly, and then angry when her Grandmother wants her to go and live with her in England for a while whilst she grieves.
Once Chloe arrives at her Grandmother’s stately home, which doubles as a bed-and-breakfast, she is surprised to find that her ability to see ghosts may come in handy with the number of ghosts float
Nina Life of a Bookworm
Posted on my blog Life of a bookworm

How I imagine Isobel wandering hallways

I really wanted to like this book and I do, but something is missing. I’m big fan of Alexandra’s writing. I loved her Halo trilogy about good angels and constant fight between good and evil. I was so excited when I saw that she was writing Ghost House ‘cause I would not expect that kind of book from her.

Chloe Kennedy can see ghosts as far as she remembers. Her mother taught her how to block them as a child and she succes
Lauren
I didn't want to do this. I reeeeally did not want to do this. I've been trying to avoid it for months, reading a book, thinking bad thoughts about it but keeping myself under control and rating it a lowly couple of stars and just walking away.

But I cant do that anymore. Ghost House has broken me.
 photo cas awkward.gif

In short? This book is bad. Really bad. Frustratingly bad. I knew that by the end of chapter one. And yes, I continued to read. For anyone out there under similar impressions to me, thinking 'mayb
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Never let it be said that I don't love a good ghost story. It doesn't matter the time of year, season, or whether it is night or day, I love them, sometimes crave them and seek them out every chance I get.

This has all the aspects of a good ghost story, without being so gruesome or frightening it is hard to stomach or will keep you up at night.

It will give you the chills and make you guess, maybe even creep you out at times but it isn't overly done or dramatic. With a setting ripe for the taking
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a parent (It opens with her mother's funeral, if anyone tells me this is a spoiler and I've ruined the book for them I will scream), romantic relationship between a 17 year old and a 23 year old (who's been dead for 157 years), (view spoiler)

This book was a trashfire. I mean, it was a very READABLE trashfire and I didn't have any of the problems with it that I did with, say, Twilight. But still a trashfire.
What Makes Patri
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club, to know more about this book, go to the post in our website:

Ghost House (The Ghost House Saga #1) by Alexandra Adornetto

If you are interested, you can visit our website:

The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club

The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club's Review:

Rate: 4 stars

Review:

I was shocked when I entered on goodreads to mark this book as read and see a lot of people not liking the book. When I finished this book I went all crazy because I
Jen
May 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
My thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin TEEN for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.

First, the good, what there was of it. It moved quickly because there was so much useless description, I could skim it easily. The ghost really was pretty terrifying, more so because she was unable to be reasoned with. So actual props on making a scary ghost.

Now the bad.

TSTL character. Love interest who was 1) dead, 2) an adulterer in his former life with his own brother's wife, 3) older than the MC fema
Rachel
Dec 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I do this to myself? I read the Halo series with my buds last year because the only way to choke it down is to lambast it aloud, and I guess I wanted to see what new mierda Adornetto is shoving down the throats of young girls.
The one reasonable thing I will say about this is that either the technicality of her writing is vaguely improved or she has a new editor. Other than that, it was literally nothing but a watery ripoff of Meg Cabot's Mediator series, with Adornetto's characteristic
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
rating: 2.75/5

I really wanted to love this book because I love the author, but I couldn't wrap myself around the story.

I can't express what really bug me about this story... Perhaps, the characters didn't call to me or the idea didn't appeal as much as the story unfolded. I wouldn't be able to pinpoint where I realized... This wasn't for me.

The cliffhanger is just enough to make me want to read the next one, but since it doesn't have a release date, perhaps, I might never read it.

Kara
Apr 01, 2014 marked it as no-no-no-no  ·  review of another edition
I tried, you guys. But after sampling this writing style, I know this book would drive me batty. First person, way too much telling. You are writing a ghost story in a historic hall. It NEEDS to be atmospheric. This is just...not.

Which means I don't even know if she handles the relationships or religion in this book the way she has in the past. And I am not masochistic enough to find out.
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 2.5/5

Review coming soon!
Trisha
May 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had really tough time with this one. It felt like it drug, I didn't understand the draw of obsession with the love interests. And the story just didn't hold me. I had to push myself to read a chapter or 2 and then finally, just to sit down and finish it.
Andy
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
Why did she have to fall for a ghost!? >:( ...more
Kristen
I am a sucker for anything YA paranormal, but one of my favorite creepy creatures is ghosts. To the point of near-obsession, I have watched dozens of ghost hunting shows and read so many fictional books that I can't even remember them all. So despite the fact that I've heard some pretty rough things about Adornetto's previous series, the blurb and the title made this book seem like one that I would just love, Unfortunately for me, that was not the case.

The story opens with the protagonist, Chloe

• Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Spellbound (Sweep, #6)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Blood Witch (Sweep, #3)
  • Dark Magick (Sweep, #4)
  • The Taking (The Taking, #1)
  • The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall
  • The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
  • What You Left Me
  • ギヴン 2 [Given 2]
  • Siempre será diciembre
  • ギヴン 5 (Given, #5)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • ギヴン 4 [Given 4]
  • ギヴン 3 [Given 3]
  • Moonlight Masquerade (London Encounters, #1)
  • Haunting the Deep (How to Hang a Witch, #2)
Alexandra Emily Adornetto was born on the 18th of April 1992 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. She is the only child of an English Teacher and a Drama Teacher and attended, in her own words, "many" schools including MacRobertson Girls' High School, Ruyton Girls' School and Eltham College. She has loved stories for as long as she can remember. In 2006, she won the State Legacy Public Speaking comp ...more

The Ghost House Saga (3 books)
  • Haunted (The Ghost House Saga, #2)
  • Untitled (Ghost House, #3)