Start by marking “The Women in the Walls” as Want to Read:
The Women in the Walls

The Women in the Walls

Lucy Acosta's mother died when she was three. Growing up in a Victorian mansion in the middle of the woods with her cold, distant father, she explored the dark hallways of the estate with her cousin, Margaret. They're inseparable—a family.

When her aunt Penelope, the only mother she's ever known, tragically disappears while walking in the woods surrounding their estate, L
Published September 27th 2016 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Women in the Walls, please sign up.
Katatakiku220 Personally this book made me feel uncomfortable and as id i was always being watched, maybe a bit concerned now and then but the book did give me a fe…morePersonally this book made me feel uncomfortable and as id i was always being watched, maybe a bit concerned now and then but the book did give me a few chills near the very end.
(less)
Nicole
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Women in the Walls
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The Women in the Walls is a mildly disappointing sophomore novel by Amy Lukavics, author of Daughters Unto Devils. It delivers all the things one expects from such a read – the deep atmosphere, the chilling moments, the compelling paranormal mystery – but it proves lacking in terms of substance, characterization or any real depth of emotion.

When Lucy’s beloved aunt goes missing, strange things start happening in her house. The cook commits suicide, her cousin Margaret is talking to walls, and he
Stacee
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I’ve been a fan of Amy Lukavic’s words since I heard Gretchen McNeil talk about Daughter Unto Devils. I devoured and loved that book and was eagerly awaiting new words.

Being in Lucy’s head is sort of a trip. She’s a cutter and slightly suicidal and it was difficult at times to read what she was going through. Throw in a weird estate and hearing voices and you’ve got yourself an unstable and unreliable narrator, which is one of my favorite things.

There is a lot of history and backstory to the sit
Latasha
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, horror
It hurts to be dead.

Wow, that was something. The mystery of the story kept me reading. What was going on? I had some guesses and I was right on some of them. I like this one better than Nightingale.
Beth
I wish I had more positive things to say about this novel.

Lucy is a highly uninteresting and bland main character. She cuts herself, she misses her cousin and best friend, Margaret, and…? That's about it for her character. There's more going on around her family, but we spend lots of time in Lucy's head, and, sorry, she was just an insufferable bore. There wasn't even any real depth to why she self-harmed or was depressed (if she was depressed?). Equally, we hear that Margaret was Lucy's best fr
Keira Drake
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SPOILER-FREE REVIEW!

I got an ARC of this book at #BEA16...I waited in line for it. :)

All right. I am admittedly a bit of a whiny baby when it comes to horror--I'm easily scared, startled, creeped out, and I sleep with a light on (even though I'm *cough* years old). But don't let my peek-between-my-fingers-ness fool you. This book is:

1. Disturbing
2. Brilliant
3. Beautifully plotted
4. Grotesque
5. Compelling
6. SATISFYING

Amy Lukavics understands how to slowly unravel a mystery in a way that will keep
Book Riot Community
Read a horror novel, I thought. It’s close to Halloween, I thought. It’ll be fun, I thought. Women in the Walls follows a girl on a giant, haunted estate who begins to hear voices in the walls after her aunt vanishes in the woods and her cousin goes mad. I spent the entire book hoping that Lukavics would surprise me with a quasi-happy ending, but nope. Slam the book shut before the final few pages and imagine your own happy ending, because Women in the Walls is terrifying and you will not sleep ...more
Kimberly
I didn't think this book was too bad when I started reading it however the closer to the ending I got the less I liked it. The characters and setting definitely could have used some more development. But most of all the motivation for the action of any of the characters needed more explanation. I also felt like the author relied too heavily on graphic violence to evoke fear. However, instead of being scared I was just grossed out. In the end, there were too many question not enough answers. It w ...more
Neil (or bleed)
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Actual rating: 2.5

It was okay. It only became interesting on the last part, sadly.
AziaMinor
Overall Rating : B-

description

"People can be happy and sad at the same time...Sometime the sad parts just spiral out of control."

Jesus don't read this at night! My heart pounded from beginning to end and that ending....whew!!😱

The characters definitely needed some fine tuning and the plot had some major holes here but the creep factor was intense and made up for it. Stay safe and dont trust voices in the wall people!!
Lolly's Library
This is my first experience of Lukavics, who's apparently gotten high praise for her first novel, Daughters Unto Devils. Judging by her second novel, either the first was a fluke or her writing is highly overrated because my reaction upon finishing The Women in the Walls was: Meh. Seriously, I have no idea what Lukavics was trying to express with her story: the physical manifestation of psychological trauma? Genuine paranormal experiences? Neither angle succeeded.

Lucy, the protagonist, through w
Allison
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
SO I downed this and DAUGHTERS UNTO DEVILS (the author's first novel) back-to-back last night and this morning. DAUGHTERS was better, imo, but this was still perfectly creepy and enjoyable. Loved all the twists towards the end. A great mix of psychological terror and splashy gore!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
set aside @ 15%

I'm intrigued by this, but it needs to go back to the library and I'm not in the mood for it right now, so I'll check it back out another time!
Bonnie
“The girl lives in a beautiful dollhouse made of stone, […] But underneath her shining plastic smile, there are only screams.”

Lucy Acosta lives in her family’s estate, home-schooled, with only her cousin Margaret for company. Her father is a constant absence but her Aunt Penelope is their main caretaker. After Walter, the cook, commits suicide, her Aunt Penelope walks into the woods and disappears without a trace, and Margaret says she’s hearing voices in the walls, Lucy has no one to turn t
Chelsea
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not too sure how I feel about this book. I heard amazing things about Daughters Unto Devils, which I still want to read, but I feel like this book may have suffered from being the sophomore book.

The story is a classic creepy old mansion where you hear voices so that's pretty hard to mess up. I was looking for a quick horror read for the month of October and this somewhat satisfied the craving but left me wanting.

My first issue with this book was that you could never grasp what time period this
Shaina
Melissa Chung
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Every time I think I've learned my lesson I haven't. I wrote a review hit save and it got stuck in the save universe of death. Sigh.... Well my emotional steam for this review is gone. I'll try to do my best to summarize what I said in the first review. This second creation by Amy Lukavics was not as strong as her first. I though 'Daughters Unto Devils' was a fantastic read. There was plenty of thrill and mystery with the first book and what got me so excited to pick up this second one. Unfortun ...more
Robin Bonne
The Women in the Walls promises to be a creepy gothic horror. I really wanted to love this book, and there are a few wonderfully creepy scenes, such as the first time the protagonist hears a voice in the wall. Many of the elements are there, such as a haunted house, a strange family dynamic, a nefarious club, a cemetery in the woods, and death. Though the themes of this book fit the genre, they never came together for me to rave about it.

The main character, Lucy, keeps having the same thoughts,
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
*4.5 Stars

Amy Lukavics has a knack for grabbing my attention. As soon as I finished reading the first chapter, I told my wife to grab the sample and just try to resist. The Women in the Walls reminded me of Barney Stinson’s Get Psyched mixed tape, it grabs you and never lets you down.

Lukavics created a curious cast of characters. We follow Lucy Acosta throughout the story. She is one screwed up cookie, but may very well be the most “normal” character in the book. This point of view worked except
Ideally.Portia
Last year, I had the extreme pleasure of reading Amy Lukavics debut horror novel, Daughter Unto Devils (you can read my review here). It was chilling and bloody and everything I always wanted from YA horror. I have desperately craved another book from her. It feels like I have just been sitting around waiting so impatiently for all of these fall horror books to come out. I can read horror year round, publisher people. Not just near Halloween. Thanks.

The Women in the Walls is dreadful. In the bes
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on Xpresso Reads

I literally don’t know how to start this review because there are a lot of things to say but they can all just be covered with a big NO. There is potential in this book but it’s all potential that is unrealized. From the spoilt MC who is a cardboard cutout to the world building, this book is just lacking. It isn’t BAD but it isn’t GOOD which is especially disappointing because I was really looking forward to reading this book.

The MC was a c
K.
Trigger warnings: suicide, self harm/cutting, mental health, death of a parent, death of a family member, disappearance of a family member, gore, violence, blood, shitty parenting.

Okay, here's the thing. This cover? Is amazing. And the blurb sounded GREAT. So I was super excited that I'd finally found something for the kids who love romance-free horror books.

Unfortunately, it was a confusing hot mess. It starts with a suicide, and then only a couple of pages later we're treated to the protagon
Kimberly
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 88-books-in-2018
Oooooh what a great book! Creepy, weird, just plain great. The author is now one of my new favs! I am now seeking out all of her books. I had been looking for a new horror to thrill me, because lately I just haven't found it. Until now that is. I highly recommend to people who love a good ghost story or to horror lovers in general!
Ariel
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-horror
"Walter the cook killed himself in his little bedroom downstairs, just a few hours after saying good-night." That is the first sentence in the book and it lets you know right off the bat that you are in for one creepy ride. I had previously read this author's other book Daughters Unto Devils, and while it was not perfect I liked that the story was a kind of Little House on the Prairie horror novel. This book started out creepily enough but the pacing was not good. A family composed of a father, ...more
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got while at ALA Annual 2016 in Orlando.
Diversity: 1 – Tokenism
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: 2 (Lucy self-harms)
Intersectionality: 0

A few days ago, I was at the local used bookstore with my best friend and I found a copy of Daughter Unto Devils. I’d read the book and loved it; she hadn’t. Meanwhile, she’d already gotten to The Women in the Walls and was terrified by it when I hadn’t even gotten to read it yet. Naturally, I pe
Dawnie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbacks
I was so excited for this book! Because it sounded like just up my alley!

A spooky supernatural/paranormal story that involves mysterious deaths and a daughter that has to figure it out all on her own?

perfect for me!

So i was really excited and could not wait to read this!

And was sadly completely disappointed.

Its not that this book is horrible.

Its just that its not good.

It is a mediocre book that started out pretty good and ends -in my option- really terrible.

The writing was okay, but it the
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Creepy old mansion with strange, curious people makes the perfect mix for a chilling YA Horror story......

The Women In The Walls is the perfect read for the fall and in preparation for Halloween. The Women In The Walls is intensely creepy, deeply disturbing, and the perfect psychological thriller. The whole setting of the book is dark and mysterious and just when you think you know what is happening....Be ready...because you don't.

and that cover....SERIOUSLY! How creepily awesome is that cover?
Rachel Bea
I skimmed through the reviews of this book and this one seems like it's a polarizing read. Either you find the Lucy character boring and insufferable or you connect with her. Either you like the fact that the book is a bit anachronistic or you're confused about time and place setting. Etc, etc. For me, I really, really enjoyed this horror novel. I didn't find Lucy a whiny main character; I found her to be a fairly realistic portrayal of a confused young girl who is grappling with grief, loss, an ...more
Grace
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Review originally posted on my blog:

Actual rating 3.5 stars

This book really surprised me. I didn’t really know what to think about this book before reading it and I had gotten it for free from Yallfest as part of blind book date thing so I honestly didn’t know anything about it.

But it was filled with good and bad. I’m going to start with the bad. The first thing that I didn’t really like was that character development. I know it’s hard in 278 pages to dev
Jessica Woodbury
DAUGHTERS UNTO DEVILS was one of my favorite books of 2015, a horror novel that was basically an exercise in pacing and suspense with a hefty helping of straight up creepy. So obviously I was very excited for Amy Lukavics' second novel.

THE WOMEN IN THE WALLS is very readable and has an out-of-time element that leaves you a little off kilter in a way that I enjoyed. But it's just a pretty good horror novel. I know, I'm damning with faint praise. If I hadn't read Lukavics' first novel I would've
Stacy Fetters
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Horror Aficionados : March 2019 Group Read #1 The Women in the Walls 31 266 Apr 05, 2019 01:36AM

• The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
  • Shutter
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall
  • The Cheater (Fear Street, #18)
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
  • Blood and Salt (Blood and Salt, #1)
  • Amity
  • Possession (Diary of a Haunting, #2)
  • All the Pretty Things
  • One Was Lost
  • A Midsummer Night's Scream
  • Asylum (Asylum, #1)
  • The Haunted (The Haunted, #1)
  • Runaway (Fear Street, #41)
  • Five Midnights
  • Escape from Asylum (Asylum, #0)
  • The Bookworm Crush
Ever since she was little, Amy was especially intrigued by horror books and movies. Raised in a small mountain town in Arizona, she sustained herself on a steady diet of Goosebumps, Fear Street, and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books before discovering Stephen King in her mother's bookshelf.

Amy lives with her husband, their two precious squidlings, and an old gentleman cat by the name of Fro