Start by marking “The Italian Word for Kisses” as Want to Read:
The Italian Word for Kisses

The Italian Word for Kisses

It’s no secret Tav and Luca are going out. After the accident, it’s also no secret that new kid Jack Collins has a raging case of homophobia, and is not best pleased about having given the kiss of life to a gay guy. Either Luca quits swimming, or Jack is going to make him.

Tav favours the tried-and-true method of knocking Jack’s teeth down his neck, only he can’t really
Published December 22nd 2015 by Queerteen Press (first published December 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Italian Word for Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Italian Word for Kisses

Start your review of The Italian Word for Kisses
Kaje Harper
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, intense, m-m, ya
Another book by Metzger with two believable, interesting young men. Tav and Luca are in love, and their friends have all gotten used to them as a couple. They've also gotten used to being out at home and at school, and no one thinking twice about ragging on them just as easily, and almost as lightly, as any of the straight couples. The guys, their friends and family all interact with teasing and rough-and-tumble, and good-natured slanging matches abound (in flavorful language.)

Life is pretty
Lori
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of this author at the minute and this book is one of my favourites of his. A fabulous YA story with well-written, relatable characters. Bloody brilliant and I rec it to everyone.
W.S. Long
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Great YA book I would recommend to any young person who is interested in reading a book of teens set in the UK who encounter homophobia in athletic world of swimming.
Suzy
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoy Matthew's style of writing - love how even though dealing with serious subjects he brings humour to his books.

This was a YA book which was a little different for me but I still really enjoyed the MC's Luca and Tav and there was a great support cast of family and friends.

Matthew is quickly turning into a favourite author of mine and I cannot recommend his book highly enough :)
Cleo
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-na, m-m
Elisa Rolle
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
2016 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: The Italian Word for Kisses
1) I liked this book. The writing is concise; the dialogue reveals character issues, conflict and depth; and the main characters are likeable. There is sufficient conflict here that you want to find out what happens. Great YA book I would recommend to any young person who is interested in reading a book of teens set in the UK and where the teens encounter homophobia.
2) The most important thing I can say is that this is NOT YA. I
Susan Laine
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
While the themes in this story are important and ever relevant--realistic out gay teens, bullying, bigotry, violence, childhood trauma, etc.--the execution wasn't good. For one, the book could have been condensed to a quarter of its length and worked a lot better. As is, there's pointless scenes and useless repetition lasting for chapters on end. I skipped a lot. And two, as a non-native English speaker, slang and colloquialisms make for a tough reading. They might give a story more realism and ...more
Pernille Aarseth
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: scribd
3.75
Featherheart
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: orientation
TW: Canon-typical racism and homophobia, in context of being acknowledged as bad things. Casual ableism, not addressed, including the r-slur. Implied/referenced sexual assault and pedophilia.

As always, I have gobs of praise for Metzger's writing. He's, impossibly, improved since Rhapsody on a Theme.
I never noticed how many tropes exist in published fiction (I say, because fanfiction frequently subverts them) until The Italian Word for Kisses kept not going there.
Tav is jealous of Aaron kissing
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Amy W
Book provided by author for review
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

Author Matthew Metzger delivers a story about two teen boys who face plenty of challenges in order to be together.

In The Italian Word for Kisses, Luca and Tav are athletic young males involved in a relationship. Through a series of events, their commitment is tested, especially at the hands of a homophobic bully.

Having read several m/m stories, I found this one to be quite different. Whether it’s the
Theodora IK
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet, very cute. I liked how the families didn't make a big deal of the couple's relationship. It took a while to get into because of the language style. Probably how teenagers in Britain talk, but some terms were new to me. I'd like to read more about Jack and this couple's relationship in new adult setting. Basically, I could/would read about them indefinitely
Grell
Dec 26, 2019
MarcelSwann
Dec 27, 2015
Alexsilverx
rated it did not like it
Oct 23, 2018

• The Infinite Noise
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Whatever It Takes
  • To Die For (Blair Mallory, #1)
  • Wild Reckless (Harper Boys, #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • The Blinding Light (The Tav #1)
  • The Hard Count
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • Path Of The Storm
  • Pride Must be a place
  • Yesterday's Tomorrow
  • Born Too Late
  • Heartward
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Go Forward Slowly
  • Perfect Imperfections
  • Unscripted
Matthew is an asexual, transgender author from the wet and windy British Isles.

Matt writes LGBT novels, both adult and young adult, and particularly enjoys digging into the weird and wonderful diversity of people all across the sexuality and gender spectrums. When not writing, Matt is usually asleep, or crunching numbers at his day job. Free time is not really a concept here.

He is also owned by an