Start by marking “Dory Dory Black Sheep” as Want to Read:
Dory Dory Black Sheep

Dory Dory Black Sheep

(Dory Fantasmagory #3)

Dory the rascal tackles friendship, losing teeth, and learning to read in a hilarious new chapter book that is perfect for readers of Ivy and Bean

School has been pretty good so far. Dory has made a real true friend whose imagination and high spirits as are big as her own. Reading is proving to be a challenge, but having a loose tooth makes her feel special. Suddenly, Mrs
Published September 20th 2016 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Dory Dory Black Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dory Dory Black Sheep

Michele Knott
This series keeps getting better and better.
Dory finds reading something she struggles with but that doesn't stop her imagination from telling amazing stories! I like that Hanlon kept the story realistic and kept Dory very true to character.
So happy to have more Dory love to share with students this fall!
Cheryl
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the hey?!?
The blurb for the kindle edition talks about a loose tooth. That's *not* in the hardcover version. Here, Mrs. GG is after a (imaginary) black sheep that's been following Rascal (Dory) around. And the Batman/ Captain Puff costume is also an important part of the story. So is the friendship with Rosabelle, and certain other friendships, too.

I tell you; I'm glad I didn't have a kid like Dory, or George. Just reading about them wears me out. I'm glad there's a series so kids with ADHD
Carrie Gelson
I adore Dory. I could sit and read these chapter books for hours and happily giggle at her antics. Such a fun character!
Aaron
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I continue to love reading this with my seven year old (and my ten year old lurking nearby to witness the hilarity). Dory enters grade two and struggles with her reading. The machinations of her wild imagination kind of interfere with her ability to buckle down and learn to read. Usually, this poses no problems but now she is separated from her best friend during reading time. This motivates her to "get into" her book, a story that takes place on a farm. Once old favourites like Mr. Nuggy and Mr ...more
Becky
First sentence: My name is Dory but everyone calls me Rascal. I am six. I have a lot of freckles. My hair is just messy. This is my nightgown that I try to wear as much as I can. But the most important thing about me is that I have two worlds. One is real and one is imaginary.

Premise/plot: Is Dory the black sheep of her family? Perhaps if you accept the lighthearted definition provided for readers at the beginning of the book: "a member of a family or group who does things a little differently."
Be Like the Squirrel, Girl
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you want to hear your children laugh maniacally? Then read all the Dory books to them!

Edited to add: maybe you should have Britt read them because Ben is cracking up.
Fiona
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have I mentioned that the we love Dory?
Vikki VanSickle
Abby Hanlon’s first person narration is reminiscent of Junie B Jones or Clementine in its potent sense of character and authenticity. Dory talks and feels like a six-year-old. Take, for example, this perfect description of what happens when she sees her best friend Rosabelle: “We take turns picking each other up. It’s like hugging, but more dangerous.” In an excellent example of Knowing Your Audience, in this third adventure, Dory is struggling with her reading. This series is heavily illustrate ...more
Vicki
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dory has become beloved to dozens of kids in the town where I work because I put Abby Hanlon's books into their hands, but then the character and her world take it from there. These books are such a funny treat--this one, funny as it is, actually takes a couple of serious turns with Dory struggling to learn to read. So excited to have a new Dory to give to kids and their families.
Deanna Kazdoy
If your young reader likes Junie B. Jones then the try the Dory Fantasmagory series. Same mischievous little girl as Junie with a big imagination who fights off villains and learns to read.
Erin Downing
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this series. Dory is hilarious, lovable, and so charming.
Erin
These books make me laugh so much. They never disappoint and are so real and unique. Hands down one of my favorite series. Buy Dory books for any child in your life!
Kate
We love Dory! She's just as weird, volatile, imaginative, sensitive, clueless, and hilarious as your average 6-yr old.
Candice
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute Dory book. Dory feels bad that she can't read as well as her friend Rosabelle.
Samantha
Dory struggles with reading. She desperately wants to be a good reader like Rosabelle, but she's easily frustrated by the content in the easy reader books she's assigned and she's embarrassed that she can't read the lengthy adventure books that some of her other classmates are reading.

Meanwhile, in Dory's fantasy world, Mrs. Gobble Gracker has gone back in time to become a kid version of herself via a potion Dory's fairy godmother Mr. Nuggy cooked up. In her kid form, Mrs. Gobble Gracker wants t
Zada
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully humorous Realistic Fiction book. It is an easy read starting at ages 6-8. It is all about a girl named Dory who wants to read but needs some help. She is taking a trip through a book and using her wild imagination getting all the characters and reading involved and engaged.
I think this book could send a good message to students on how it is important to understand some of the struggles with reading and the different levels in the classroom. The book has many cool graphics
P
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general
I love this book because it is super silly. Dory has a really big imagination. It's all about her trying to read. It's awesome and I really like it.

My favorite example is on page 31. This is what she says when she's trying to read: "The cow... low-vee to eee-yat...g-g-g...something? Gar-bage? There are hey-pee...? This book makes NO sense!"

It's really funny and is one of my favorite books. It's actually #2 of the series. It makes me laugh because Dory is super funny and is always saying super fu
H
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Another utterly charming story from Dory (Rascal) and her fervid imagination. Read the first aloud and students in grades 1-3 will clamor for the others. This time Dory can't read the books, so she makes up her own stories. But will she learn to read?? Best for grade 2, but will be a great read aloud for K or 1 as well. Only reason it doesn't have 4 stars is because of the abrupt ending that didn't resolve anything, which I found confusing.
Patrea Beard
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So great.

These books are approximately a hour in length. They are broken into chapters but my boys hate to stop reading them in the middle.

These books are super fun and silly. My youngest is also a Kindergartener and has a great imagination so he really thinks these are great. My oldest is in 3rd grade reading 7th grade books and still enjoys these and the silliness. I also think they are fun to read and I'm 46 so basically fun for a wide range of ages.
Beth
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils, cybils-2016
Another fun visit with the charming Dory, aka Rascal. We see both her real friends and her imaginary ones, and see her deal with the worry of not being a good reader and the rather archaic ways her teacher and parents deal with it (I speak as the parent of a late reader). It didn't really seem to have a unified whole, although I appreciated that Dory didn't magically start reading even when she decided to start trying. But her friendships stayed strong as did her commitment to her imagination.
Cheriee Weichel
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
I don't have to read these books anymore, but when an author creates a character like Dory Fantasmagory, and there is a new book out, I just have to see what that kid has gotten herself into now.
In this one Dory is having some problems learning to read. Her imagination is still as wild as ever though.
If you have primary aged children, this is an ideal chapter book. All of these Dory books will be fun to read out loud because adults will end up loving her as much as their children do.
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade, 2-stars

I love any plot in a children's book or otherwise where a character is just discovering reading, going to the library, learning to read, etc. However, that could not save the third installment in this series. I have so many other children's books/series I could recommend to parents and kids. This would not be one of them.
Nicole
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm only halfway through this book so far, but I can already tell that this will be a fun series for readers that also have an affinity for Junie B. Jones. Dory is a hilarious character, and I love how this book calls out what goes through children's heads while they are learning to read.
Karen Arendt
I like how Dory struggles with learning to read in the story, which is something many young readers can relate to. Dory has such an imagination, too, that readers will fall in love with her character.
Punka Punk
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
dory has a strong imagination and she is always making it even bigger. Her real world might stay the same but not her own world. One other thing I like is that dory shares her imagination with her friends.
Rebecca Caufman
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite in the series! Probably because so much has to do with her dislike of reading and her desire to want to read. I love the quote on the first page "Black Sheep a member of the family or group who does things a little differently.
Lola
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like how shes got a very good imagination and how she has like characters in her imagination. (L, aged 5)
Dennis Ioffe
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is hysterical
i had tears in my eyes after i read it - kids should enjoy it as well haha
Erica
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore this series! It just gets better and better.
Rose
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read all 3 Dory Fantasmagory books to my granddaughters ages 7 & 4 and a half. They loved them and I enjoyed them as well. Funny and very relatable!
When I was a kid, I liked to talk to myself and make up stories. I played imaginatively long past the age considered normal. Slowly and reluctantly, I grew up. As an adult, I discovered that becoming a teacher was a perfect way to re-enter the world of childhood.

As a teacher, I was amazed by my six-year-old students’ natural ability to use words and pictures to tell a story, and I wanted to do it

Dory Fantasmagory (4 books)
  • Dory Fantasmagory