Start by marking “Otis and The Kittens” as Want to Read:
Otis and The Kittens

Otis and The Kittens

(Otis)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
The #1 bestselling creator of Otis and Little Tree presents an homage to firefighters everywhere—and to the many boys and girls who dream big of being heroes!

On the farm where Otis the tractor lives, it hasn't rained in a long time and farmers all over the valley have grown anxious with water in such short supply. One hot afternoon, when Otis and his friends are resting be
Published September 20th 2016 by Philomel Books

Matt
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Otis a popular tractor on the local farm, though the drought facing everyone has the animals a little worried. When Otis notices an odd going on outside of the barn filled with hay, he goes to explore, only to realise that there is a fire... and a handful of kittens are stuck inside. Otis does all he can to save them, but an issue befalls him and the pendulum of panic swings towards him. Will Otis make it out in one piece? The animals have a plan! Neo loves all things fire department related and ...more
Karen • The Book Return
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-to-read
When I saw 'Otis and the Kittens' on Book Outlet I had to pick it up.
'The Otis' series features vibrant illustrations by Loren Long. Part of the magic of the 'Otis and the Kittens' is discovering all the fine details of the story displayed in the illustrations.
'Otis and the Kittens' features the important themes of safety, family, cooperation, and friendship. My son especially enjoyed the interactions between Otis, the kittens, and the firemen.
'Otis and the Kittens' offers a feel good story with
Jason
Man, I dunno....a talking tractor is one thing, but animals that can pull said talking tractor out of a burning barn using a support beam of the barn that on the verge of burning down--now that's a bit too much suspension of disbelief for this reader!
Jocelin
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the Otis series! Love that lil' tractor. Loved the homage to the brave firefighters that risk their lives when going into burning structures to save our loved ones and neighbors.
Lisa D
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A terrific addition to this series! It's about the importance of firefighters! Loved it!
AveryNJakeO
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
As a family we're big fans of the Otis books. The illustrations are gorgeous and the characters are nothing short of lovable. As a parent, I had to make an exception for this book though. The plot has Otis rescuing some kittens, which is all well and good, but 3 separate times in the story it has various characters deliberately entering a burning barn. Yes, the characters' goal is to help, but this is the exact opposite message I want my kids to learn about fire safety. Older children who alread ...more
Katy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story for the pre-school set about a farm tractor named Otis who loves to play with his friends. When a barn is burning, Otis rushes inside to save a family of kittens. However, he is entrapped. Who will save him?

My grandsons loved the book when I read it to them. (they also told me about the other Otis stories.) It was a book one of them received from the Dolly Parton group that gives books to children who are pre-school age. I find this a fabulous philanthropy for promoting literacy.
Brittany
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughter's favorite Otis book so far. She was so engaged in the book and gasped when the kittens were in danger. We have the original Otis book that we've read but it didn't get nearly the reaction this one did.
Cara Byrne
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the neutral color scheme and gentle pencil sketches and the author is a gifted storyteller, but this book upset my sensitive four year old with the near-death experiences of the kittens, farm animal, and little Otis the tractor. An Imagination Library book.
Darinda
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A story about Otis, a tractor. Otis was first introduced in Otis, and has had several adventures since then. In this picture book, a fire starts in the barn, and Otis rushes in to help. A cute and exciting story. Love the bold artwork.
Robin Raines-Bond
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
For the Brave who run toward danger instead of away. I really like this whole series, but I have to admit this one is my favorite. Friendship, bravery, working together, all wonderful parts of this book.
Pat Mills
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, design
Pbean
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Otis, but I was a bit concerned with the barn on fire.
Sarah Baker
I'm not sure where the line is between brave and stupid, but Otis finds it every time. But he still proves friendship is the greatest power.
Alice Teets
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
An adorable picture book with illustrations reminiscent of the movie Robots with a cute story. The fire aspect might scare little kids, but it has a happy ending.
Nikki
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I really enjoyed reading this book to my children...When a fire breaks out in a barn, Otis shows bravery and compassion to a momma cat and her kittens.
Hannah
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-we-own
Average storyline
Ashley
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I really enjoy the Otis series even though in the middle of one I always get sad and choked up.
Maria
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picture Book
Jessica Hansen
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute my son got it from dolly patrons imagination library program he absolutely loves it!
Kelly Snyder
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A dry summer, a new crop of straw and six little kittens what could go wrong, right. We everything! A fire breaks out in a barn and Otis rushes in to rescue a group of small kittens, but can he be saved too? Otis the tractor is back for another adventure with his friends on the farm in the cute little book by Loren Long (who like me, likes red tractors). Readers beware there is drama and there is a lot of smoke. Enjoy this book with a little farmer and tractor in your life.
Bethe
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Otis is back with his farmyard friends - this time saving some kittens from a barn fire. How did he and the friends not know about the orange cat & her kittens? Even for fantasy, it goes beyond my range of possibility for the animals to enter a burning old barn that's about to collapse and pull Otis the tractor out from a hole in the floor!
Evan
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet little adventure about our tractor hero, Otis. This book is dedicated to firefighters and definitely portrays their bravery in a nice way.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Long, Loren Otis and the Kittens PICTURE BOOK Philomel Books, 2016. $17.99 Content: G.

Otis the tracker is out in the field working when he notices smoke coming from the barn. When he gets to the barn most of the animals have made it outside, except for a mamma cat and her kittens. Otis helps save the kittens, but in the process he falls through the wood slats in the barn and is trapped in the fire. With the help of the animals and the fire chief, Otis is rescued.

The pictures in the book are gr
Stephanie Croaning
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
Otis stories are always adorable, and this one features the regular cast of characters, but also adds in some adorable kittens. What I truly like about Otis, is that Loren Long combines adorable characters with some serious topics that have more meaning in rural areas. Otis and his friends have previously encountered and survived a tornado, and in this book have to deal with a barn fire.

Before reading this book to children, parents and teachers should consider the maturity of the child. Otis and
Alice
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am ashamed to admit I haven't read more of the books in the series. I shelve them all the time but it just didn't attract me. This book was great about friendship, teamwork and cats. It also gives you insight into what our brave firefighters have to go through. Brave! And well toss in some kitties and you have a warm squishy feeling inside.

Note to parents: As a child I was terrified of a having a fire in the house while I slept. well the Fire nightmare came true but I was at work and an adult
Amy Lafleur
Otis sets out to save the day when the barn catches fire and the kittens are trapped inside. Otis and the kittens gets stuck inside when the fire gets worse. Can their friends (firefighters and animals save the day). This book was adorable and had a sweet message of bravery and helping your friends, though I'm a little nervous that young readers might take it too seriously about going themselves back into a burning building to save friends or pets instead of leaving it to the professional first ...more
Traci
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most books about animals make me happy, especially when the animals are not hurt in any way. But when the animals do things in the books that humans do not expect, I get really excited such as in this book written and illustrated by Loren Long.

Loren brings to us a story of animals and a small tractor who are friends and showcases what that friendship means. When near tragedy strikes, the animals band together to make sure everyone is safe but someone is missing and only the animals think to sav
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I grew up in Lexington, Kentucky in the 1970’s. We had no artists of any kind in the family. We didn’t know any artists. I liked sports, especially baseball. My mother read to me a lot. But I have to admit, my favorite subject in school was gym class. I also liked to draw. My parents encouraged me to keep drawing.

Otis (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Otis
  • Otis and the Scarecrow
  • Let's Go, Otis!
  • Otis Gives Thanks
  • Let's Doodle, Otis!
  • The Otis Collection: Includes Otis, Otis and the Tornado, Otis Loves to Play, Otis and the Puppy, and  An Otis Christmas