Start by marking “Paying for College Without Going Broke, 2017 Edition” as Want to Read:
Paying for College Without Going Broke, 2017 Edition

Paying for College Without Going Broke, 2017 Edition

The only annual college financial aid guide with line-by-line instructions for completing the FAFSA and CSS PROFILE aid forms!

As seen in USA Today, the Wall Street Journal, Money, and the Los Angeles Times, Paying for College Without Going Broke will help you:

- Navigate the recent changes to the FAFSA
- Use line-by-line strategies for filling out the FAFSA and CSS PROFILE t
Published September 20th 2016 by Princeton Review (first published February 23rd 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Paying for College Without Going Broke, 2017 Edition

Gwendolyn Miner
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good, practical overview. And an excellent place to start.
Katie Pierson
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't just read this, I studied it. REALLY helpful.
Phaedra
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was helpful as a general overview of how financial aid works for need and merit and what to expect
Terrie
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful guide for filling out the FAFSA and the CSS/Profile.
Dolores Elkin
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is incredibly helpful in explaining how to fill out the FAFSA and CSS. It also explains how to arrange your finances to your advantage before filling out the forms. I recommend reading it in your child's junior year (which I didn't do) as it would be more helpful in setting up your "base year" for college FA forms. It's easy to understand, easy to read, and really helpful. I highly recommend it for parents of students going to college.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I just heard VA Tech is raising tuition rates by 9 point something for Fall 2011. My son told me, "An education that will lead to a fulfilling career is a good investment." If that isn't a good enough reason, it will get your kids going in the right direction and make them a well rounded individual. I'm just hoping for a good job and independent.

This is another reference that will guide students/parents through the financial part of college.
Carol
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This looks very helpful for someone needing to submit 2 FAFSAs and a CSS/PROFILE this year. Note that it doesn't have college-specific information; a better source for those statistics is the College Board's "Getting Financial Aid" handbook. But the advice on how to choose colleges, fill out the forms, and handle the offer follow-ups is much more complete in this book.
Mark
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, we're kind of committed now. I read most of this. College expenses and financial aid are different now compared to when I went to college...but in the end the differences didn't matter much. Still, I was heading into the great unknown of PAYING FOR COLLEGE, and it helped my own peace-of-mind to be able to learn about what was coming up, rather than stumble into it.
Jen Bradley
Just finished the 2017 edition. I found it minimally helpful. Maybe good for parents whose child will be a first generation college student. One or two important tips for negotiating with FAOs. Otherwise just a summary of the obvious.
Lisa
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My baby is one year old. I was looking some information more about 529 saving plans. This book have a wide range of information from tax respective to how to choose college. Not very useful to me right now maybe will read again when my baby approach college age
Lenita
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everone with kids going to college
Recommended to Lenita by: a family member
Wow this book was really helpful with the FAFSA form and other forms of scholarships and grants, etc. Good to read before you fill out the form and even if your kids are just in middle school, it talks about money saving strategies before you get into the base years of income reporting.
Angie
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All parents of future college students need to read this book, and don't wait until senior year.
Websterdavid3
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential book if you are at risk for paying for a student to go to school. Practical and useful; don't start the financial aid process until you've read this. It works! for us anyway.
Valerie Acklin
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New edition helps this title continue its reign as the best book about college financial aid.
Lori
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will have to buy this book next year.
Kathleen
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful for completing the 2009 FAFSA and CSS profile forms. Includes line by line help along with lots of general info on short and long term strategies for how to pay for college.

Norm Dickman