Start by marking “In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox” as Want to Read:
In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox

In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox

Comedy legend Carol Burnett tells the hilarious behind-the-scenes story of her iconic weekly variety series, The Carol Burnett Show.

Who but Carol Burnett herself has the timing, talent, and wit to pull back the curtain on the Emmy-Award winning show that made television history for eleven glorious seasons?
In Such Good Company delves into little-known stories of the gues
Published September 13th 2016 by Crown Archetype

To ask other readers questions about In Such Good Company, please sign up.
Helen Yes this book is about the Carol Burnett Show, but there are stories that were previously mentioned in her other books as I have read them in order. S…moreYes this book is about the Carol Burnett Show, but there are stories that were previously mentioned in her other books as I have read them in order. So there is some repetition(less)

Start your review of In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
In Such Good Company by Carol Burnett is a 2016 Crown Archetype publication.

I have been a fan of Carol Burnett all my life, and her variety show was a staple during my growing up years, especially as a teenager, when I would come home from school and watch ‘The Carol Burnett Show’ in its trimmed down half hour syndication. I never got tired of watching it, no matter how many times I’d seen the comedy sketches.

This book is about the eleven years, Carol’s show aired in prime time, from 1967-1978
Kristina
If you grew up in the 1970's like I did, you'll remember The Carol Burnett Show (1967-1978) as one of the funniest and most popular TV shows of that era. In Such Good Company is Burnett's recollection of everything specifically connected with the show, including the regulars, the writers, sketches, guest stars and more. If you are looking for a scathing, tell-all celebrity memoir, this isn't it; this is Burnett's fond memories of the show that catapulted her to the status of beloved national tre ...more
Erica
Here’s my review of This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection and it says almost all the same stuff I want to say about this one so maybe just read that if you want something sensical because I'm going to blather from here on out.

My mom quoted Carol’s character, Stella, often. Carol talks about that character in this book and it made me feel nostalgic and happy.
“I’ve been hurt a lot, you know”

When I need cheering, I watch this one, which Carol also discusses and Vicki Lawrence explains in fur
Kathleen
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 ⭐️.
I enjoyed reading this book written by Carol Burnett about her life, and television show that ran for eleven years. I fondly remember watching her show with my dad.

Carol Burnett writes about the people behind the scenes, the regular cast, guests, the skits, musical acts, costumes and the fun they had both on and off the set. She describes many skits in detail and tells about filming the show live.

Her show won twenty-five Emmy awards and was listed by Time magazine as one of the "100 Best
Alissa Patrick
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

SO MUCH FUN!!

Karin
This audiobook won a grammy for best spoken word recording and it deserved it! Carol Burnett makes a fabulous narrator. The book was well written and documented--she rewatched every single episode of the Carol Burnett show before writing this. The book was 3 stars with or without the audiobook because I wasn't always interested in hearing as much detail about some of the skits, but if you remember this show and liked it (we liked it at my house when I was growing up) you might love that part of ...more
TL
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do own a paperback edition of this but when I saw that this was on the OverDrive app, I snatched it up:).

Reading Carol's words are enjoyable but the experience for me is heightened by hearing her voice tell the stories. It makes you feel more connected to the material and gives off a feeling of being warm and cozy, like you are sitting in the same room with a blanket on your legs:).

A nice surprise too was interview clips with some if the cast and Carol about those times. It was fun to hear fro
Terri Wino
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I remember watching The Carol Burnett Show with my parents as a youngster, but it wasn't until I was older and watched it in syndication that I could appreciate just how funny the skits were and the caliber of Stars (with a capital S) that were guests on the show. To this day, watching Tim Conway and Harvey Korman play off each (especially Tim -- dentist scene anyone??) can bring me to tears laughing. And the classic curtain rod in the dress in the Went With the Wind skit -- pure genius!

Reading
Kirsten
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea why this book did not make it onto the Goodreads Choice Awards list! It's a d*** sight better than all the other books on the humor category.

The memoir itself would be wonderful in itself, with its memories of Harvey, Tim, Lyle, and Vicky. But what makes it even better is the audiobook. The audiobook is narrated by Carol herself and has clips of interviews with Harvey, Tim, Vicky and even an interview with Carol by Dick Cavett. As well as a clip of Carol singing "This Time Togeth
Linda
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

Every once in a while you've gotta read something that you know is going to make you smile and remember good times. Carol relates memories of her time doing The Carol Burnett Show. If you're as fond of that show as I am, you'll love the book. She gives loving plot descriptions of a few of the big musical production numbers, and that might sound odd, but since so few of the hour long shows are available uncut on dvd, I appreciated it. I'd love to know who the "pony's ass" was, though!
Jana
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, non-fiction
I love Carol! I listened to the audio of this and I really can't imagine enjoying it any other way than that. She has clips of interviews with other actors as well. Quite a few times I paused to find the YouTube video to match the skits she describes, which only added to the fun.

She feels like a friend. I'm so glad we had this time together.

Fran
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I had reading time together with Carol Burnett! From 1967 to 1978 The Carol Burnett Show entertained my family as arguably the best musical variety show on television. In conversational style, Miss Burnett reminisces about the show's beginning, casting of the five main players, the dancers, costume designer, and orchestra. This memorable show garnered twenty-five Emmy Awards in its eleven years on national T.V.

The tone of the book is always playful and positive as Miss Burnett
Carla Johnson-Hicks
If you grew up in the 1970's like I did, you'll remember The Carol Burnett Show as one of the funniest and most popular TV shows of that era. What I didn't realize was that it was on the air for 11 years. In Such Good Company is Carol Burnett's recollection of the show. And not just the show, but things connected to the show such as how the regulars were hired and how they evolved, her guests and her relationships with them, the costumes, her cameramen and so on. The title fits the book as she s ...more
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I read two of Carol's previous books and enjoyed them very much. But this one was a let down. This book is all about her TV show that ran for 11 years in the 60's and 70's. While some of the behind the scenes stories were interesting, there was far to much rehashing of the sketches they did. At the beginning of the book, Carol explains the difference between a comic and a comedic actor.. A comic says funny things and a comedic actor says things funny. Carol is a comedic actor. She says things fu ...more
Marc
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful read! I have many happy memories of "The Carol Burnett Show" and this book brought back many of them. It's not a perfect book--I would have loved some more details and reading the script of some of the famous acts didn't come close to watching them. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this book. Highly recommended.
Donna
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

I enjoyed this. I've read Carol Burnett's autobiography, This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection and I liked it. She comes across as so wonderfully authentic and kind. This book is less of a personal autobiography and instead it is more of a history about her television show that ran 11 years. She talked about guests, cast members, skits, the writers, costumes, etc. I'm a little too young to remember her show, but this book was a great collection of her thoughts and memories about t
Laura Harrison
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg-cant-wait
Incredibly thrilled that Carol Burnett wrote In Such Good Company. I have adored Carol and her show since I was a little girl. MeTV airs The Carol Burnett Show every week day night. It still has me rolling and roaring with laughter. This book covers every little bit you might want to know about each episode with wonderful behind the scenes details. There is nothing mean or unkind which I am grateful for. I have these actors on a well deserved pedestal and that is where I plan to always keep them ...more
Rob
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
No disrespect to Carol & company but this reflective account was disappointing. Ms. Burnett relies heavily on summarizing entire sketches of the show's eleven year run with hardly any behind the scenes insight. ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I grew up watching the Carol Burnett show and saw her speak at UCLA once. While it was enjoyable to hear her share her memories (she narrates the audio book) I felt it was a bit repetitive and inconsistent. I did laugh for days after hearing the inside scoop on the Scarlet O'Hara curtain rod outfit. And I thoroughly enjoyed hearing how the cast would improv the second take. Truly some comedic genius in their cast.
Julie
What a trip down memory lane! I have fond recollections of sitting on the couch with my parents as a little kid, watching this show. I haven't seen the show since it went off the air when I was 10 years old but once I started reading about the various skits, I was surprised at how many memories of them came back to me.

I hadn't realized just how many skits were parodies of old movies. I wonder how the skits would hold up today with a younger audience who has no knowledge of the movies being refe
Donna Davis
When I saw that Burnett had published a memoir of her years as America’s favorite comedic performer on The Carol Burnett Show, which ran from 1967 through 1978, my first thought was, what, another memoir? She’s already published at least three others, one of which I have read and reviewed. But the fact is, she hadn’t used up all her juice yet. Each of her memoirs focuses on some particular aspect of her life, and so this book is new, it’s original, and it’s probably the stuff you were hoping she ...more
Judy Lesley
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an e-ARC of this book through NetGalley and Crown Publishing.

If you are fortunate enough to have seen some (or all) of the live performances of the eleven seasons of The Carol Burnett Show, this book is sure to have you remembering, laughing, and even sighing gently to yourself about "the good old days". Even though the programs have gone into syndication that doesn't mean you get to see the entire show; those programs only show the comedy sketches. If you want to see the musical segm
Robin
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-celebrity
I've always adored Carol Burnett and her show regulars, and this was a fun way to spend a few hours. The disclosures about her guests and regulars is fun and good-spirited but the rundowns and and scripts of some of the skits got a little tiresome (I mean how many times have we seen "Went With the Wind"? I expect most of us know the jokes by heart). I would rather sit down and watch them again on YouTube or get a DVD of the shows. But it was fun to get a few behind-the-scenes nuggets and chuckle ...more
Brenda A
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I'm one of those kids who knows about Carol Burnett from my mom. She's the one who gifted me with my fairly extensive knowledge of classic movie stars and the like--I know all the original members of the Rat Pack (not just Dean and Frank); I know why Bing Crosby and Bob Hope made such an epic team; I know where the phrase, "I'm ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille" comes from. It shouldn't be hard to believe then that I watched several episodes of Carol Burnett's variety shows with my mom.

She's j
Petra
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sadly, I found this book a bit tedious to get through. I was looking forward to Carol's wonderful sense of humour and a lively audio experience. However, she was flat. She read; she didn't perform.
Also, the stories were repetitive. Hearing "I was glad they (guest performer) came and played in the sandbox with us (regulars)" so many times was eye-rolling.
Throughout, there is admiration for the regulars, Harvey, Tim & Vicki, which was appropriate. Together with Carol, this group of performance a
CeeMarie
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love Carol Burnett? I remember some of her most famous characters, and her guest starring roles from some of my favorite shows as a kid. She was and is so funny. So, I jumped at the chance to review this when I saw it on NetGalley and kept my fingers crossed that I'd get a copy.

This is centered around the goings-on and behind the scenes of her hilarious show The Carol Burnett Show. It is interesting and funny and let's the reader have a glimpse into the time and life of the star and
Gizzard
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Meh, she describes many of the sketches that were in her program. Not that interesting without seeing it. Few personal anecdotes.
Lynne Roe
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This was interesting, she spent a lot of time telling us about specific scenes from her show - think I would rather just have watched the reruns of the show. Some of the back story was fun to read.
SmartBitches
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lightning review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox is delightful if you are a fan of The Carol Burnett Show. And if you aren’t yet, go get the DVDs or look it up on YouTube and watch some of it for heaven’s sake.

This book is not an autobiography. Rather, it’s a collection of anecdotes about the show. It you are interested in the show, it’s heavenly, but it probably wouldn’t appeal to the general reader. Carol Burnett is n
Karen
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my first audio book and I chose this book because I loved Carol Burnett and Friends back in the day and I liked that Carol Burnett herself was the narrator. I enjoyed that aspects of this book brought back fond memories of watching the show when I was a kid and was surprised that there were several skits she discussed that I actually remember watching some 40 years ago!

To me, listening to this book was like listening to my grandma reminisce. I particularly enjoyed hearing anecdotes abou

• What's So Funny?: My Hilarious Life
  • If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't)
  • My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Home: A Memoir of My Early Years
  • Still Foolin' 'Em: Where I've Been, Where I'm Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys
  • Father In A Fix
  • Brief Encounters: Conversations, Magic Moments, and Assorted Hijinks
  • So That Happened: My Unexpected Life in Hollywood
  • Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
  • Keep Moving: And Other Truths About Living Well Longer
CAROL BURNETT has been an actor on Broadway, on television, and in the movies. She has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, The Mark Twain Prize for Humor and the Kennedy Center Honors, among other singular achievements of a woman comedian who was nothing less than a pioneer and a role model for today's stars.

-About the Author, In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and