Start by marking “Owl Sees Owl” as Want to Read:
Owl Sees Owl

Owl Sees Owl

Fans of the classic picture book Owl Babies by Martin Waddell and Patrick Benson will adore this utterly simple picture book in which a baby owl goes off on his first adventure.

With just three or four words per page, this story follows a baby owl one night as he leaves the safety of his nest (Home/Mama/Brother/Sister) and explores the starry world around him (Soar/Glid
Published September 20th 2016 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Owl Sees Owl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owl Sees Owl

Start your review of Owl Sees Owl
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Baker's Dozen 2017

3.5
This picture book is written in the form of a reverse poem. Although I am not a big fan of circular stories, this story does have its strengths. I think preschoolers could enjoy the simple structure, especially if it was read multiple times. The illustrations are very well done and it has wonderful, fall time illustrations of autumn leaves, pumpkins and a full moon.
The Library Lady
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The very limited words may make people think that this is a baby/toddler book, just as they often think Dr Seuss beginning readers are toddler books. Neither is true. Toddlers need full flow vocabulary so that they learn new words by hearing them, and neither this book nor the Seuss books provide that.
That being said, you can use a simply worded book like this one to talk about the pictures, and the pictures here are beautiful. I'd use this one with preschoolers and use it as the steppingstone f
KC
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quite a delightful story with simple descriptive words and beautiful illustrations. Thanks to my colleague to have suggested this book. A true autumn gem.
Abigail
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Rob Dunlavey's Artwork
A young owl flies from the nest one night when his mother and siblings are asleep, experiencing the beauties of the moonlit world, and getting a glimpse of himself in a woodland pool before heading home again.

The text in Owl Sees Owl is extremely brief - no more than a few words per page - and is arranged as a reverso poem, with the narrative flowing one way, toward that moment when Owl sees himself, and then reversing to bring him home again. Although structurally this makes a for a good story-
Rebecca Gomez
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is lovely. The text is simple and concrete, complementing the illustrations perfectly. And when you get to the end, it reverses! Hard to pull off that trick.
Julie
The reverso poem structure is endearing and simple - just a few nouns or action words on each page, with some adjectives thrown in - but it's the illustrations that are stunning and captivating, as little owl leaves his sleeping family in their tree nest to explore the night sky, solo. Beautiful pictures in a unique, vibrant style and vivid colors, rendered in watercolor, colored pencil, ink, collage, and digital media. ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I like this book, but found it hard to read aloud with the proper inflection. I found it very satisfying that the text is a mirror of itself in the same way that the water is a mirror for the owl, but I'm not sure my three-year-old was savvy enough to understand that. This actually may be a better choice for beginning readers who can read the book independently and spend as much as time as they want lingering over the pictures. ...more
Karin
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This simple picture book would be a nice pairing with the classic Owl Moon. With no more than four words per page, the text is easily accessible to early readers. ...more
Jessica
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely book - the illustrations are beautiful, and the sparse wording somehow just works for me. It's circular in nature, ending where it begins, and each page is 4 words. This might pair well with Owl Babies for storytime, and would be great with preschoolers or at home. ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, poetry
I absolutely loved Rob Dunlavey's illustrations. In particular the woodland animals grabbed my eye on each spread they were on (mice on one, deer in another). The shapes, outlines, and colors all hark nostalgically to illustration styles from the 1940s and 1950s.

I can see this book being compared to Owl Babies, but what that book did in way of spartan character development this book does not hit as squarely. The reverso was quite fun to follow, though. I only wish the illustrations and words we
Kerri Lynn
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: wildlife lovers, early readers, preschoolers, picture book lovers
I picked up this book because of the subject matter (owls) and the beautiful illustrations by Rob Dunlavey. I truly love the illustrations, they bring a magic to the book and the nighttime scenery.

This book is written in a minimalist fashion. Laura Godwin does not use full sentences in this book, but rather only four words per page to convey what the owl is seeing. For me this helped me imagine being in the thoughts of the owl as he flew over the landscape, highlighting what is catching the owl'
Susan
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, storybook
I enjoyed this book. I liked the winding and unwinding of the text from one end of the book to the middle to the other end. The illustrations are fabulous.

But, really, am I the only one who was bothered by the fact that the owl family - a family of **NOCTURNAL** birds is sleeping at night? I had to bump down a star for that.

p.s. why does the GR blurb assume that owl is a male? I never got that from the book. OK, I just checked the description on the jacket flap of the book, and it too makes owl
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A clever picture book idea with lovely illustrations done in watercolor, colored pencil, ink, collage, and digital media. The story is a set of words that flow one way and then are reversed as owl takes his journey away from home than back again. Very simple text up to four words per page. This would be a fun book to read to a class and have them create their own journey picture book.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Taylor Maiese
This book is amazing and despite a couple of words on each page it is basically told by the illustrations. I love all the detail in this book and how the pictures come alive. To me it feels like looking at the pictures we are with the owl and we are seeing his journey as he is seeing it. I am in love with the book because of the detail of the pictures and how Godwin basically lets the pictures speak for themselves and tell the story, Great book!
Meredith
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Owl takes a solo during which he sees his own reflection in the water before turning to his nest.

The text is a reverso poem with four words or less per each two page spread. The words following the central line "Owl Sees Owl" are the same words as those that came before except they are in reverse order, which alters their meaning somewhat.

This picture book features soothing nighttime illustrations done in watercolor, colored pencil, ink, collage, and digital media.
Tayler K
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I picked this up because the illustrations were indescribably... cute, adorable, gorgeous, magical...

The reverso format was kind of neat, but overall I wasn't a fan of the text. I think I like actual sentences with my words, just personal preference.

So, 1 star overall. 2nd star for the illustrations.
Alex Furlong
There is not much to say about this story. The illustrations really popped out to me because they were done with I think oil pastels and water paintings. The book is very limited on words and as the owl passes over the lake the words go in reverse order halfway through the book. Very creative and unique, yet simple. Good for very young children.
Sarah Herb
This book is more for pre-k or kindergarten. There is no sentence structure or story line, it is more of a visual book. Every page has four words on it and form that you can find it in the picture and see how they fit together. It is a great book for learning sight words, but not reading sentences and comprehending a story.
Emily
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A clever "palindrome" of a book. As a little owl curiously leaves their nest to explore, each page has only 3 or 4 words, which convey the essence of the story's action: "Tree Nest Hop Look." At the center of the book, "Owl Sees Owl" - their reflection in a pond. Then the words and pages reverse, showing Owl's return home to the nest: "Look Hop Nest Tree," for example. ...more
Tori
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Adorably illustrated account of an owl's journey on a nighttime flight through the forest. Fall leaves and pumpkin patches make it great for autumn storytimes. Short, simple words make this perfect for early readers. On top of that, the story is a sort of poetic palindrome, the latter half of the text being the reverse of the first half. It all starts and ends with "home". Very cute. ...more
Melanie
Sparse text is found in this gently illustrated book about a young owl's solo journey at night. Only four words on each 2-page spread describe the scene and those 4 words are all that are needed. Children will enjoy exploring each picture and seeing what Owl sees. ...more
Esther Westfall
The pictures were very pretty and little Owl is very cute. I liked how you read the words through until he sees his reflection in the pond and then you read all of the same words in reverse for his journey back home. It is a simple book with a creative flair.
Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian)
In simple words (1-4 per page) without sentences, it seems the text of this book would be used to teach vocabulary to children ages 3-7, while teaching them more about the natural world. The illustrations in this book are beautiful. This is a cute book for young children.
E.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
The art in the book is very cute, but I detest the reverso poetry style of "story," if you can even really call it that, for this age group especially. It feels disjointed and unnatural, which aren't in line with my priorities when selecting books for children ages 3-7. ...more
Trudi
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Baby owl flies out of the nest on an adventure and finally ends up back in the nest with the family. Very simplistic at 4 words per page, perfect for toddlers and early readers. And the owl family is adorable.
Erin Buhr
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the ingenious way this was written. Essentially it's a very simple story about an owl who goes on a wee bit of an adventure in the middle of the night, but the way it is written and the beautiful illustrations take it to another level. ...more
Sheri
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
An owl book with no sentences but a writing introduction with words that describe the action and activity. I would use it as a resource to write about other animals or topics. Dark backgrounds to show that owls are active when it is dark. No rhyme here just words play.
Sally
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
Simple text for very young children; written in symmetrical phrases that reverse out from the middle of the book.
Miss Sarah
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Each page features four words that represent the little owls journey through the night. Toddler and up for picture talking.
Ms. B
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture
An owl story that will work as a read-aloud, this could be paired with Pat Hutchins's Good-Night Owl, Eve Butning's The Man Who Could Call Down Owls or Jane Yolen's Owl Moon. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Little Owl's Orange Scarf
  • Snakes on a Train
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • Night Animals
Laura Godwin grew up in Alberta, Canada. She has written many well-loved books for children, including Barnyard Prayers, Little White Dog, Happy & Honey, and co-authored The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World, and The Runaway Dolls. She lives in New York City.

News & Interviews