Start by marking “One Police Plaza” as Want to Read:
One Police Plaza

One Police Plaza

A hardened New York cop risks everything to solve an impossible murder

The precinct house at 19 Elizabeth Street is one of the oldest in New York, and some things about it never change. Overworked cops interrogate suspects, complain about their wives, and peck out reports on battered old typewriters. Steel mesh covers the windows and the garbage cans overflow. And as Lt.
Published January 12th 2016 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about One Police Plaza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Police Plaza

Start your review of One Police Plaza
Sheryl
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought I had read more of Mr. Caunitz's books I probably have but it was way before I started keeping track of them.

I really enjoyed going back in time and reading how the police really worked the cases back in the day. I can't even imagine how they managed to do it! Especially in a large place like New York City.

This was a very well written police procedural about a Lt. who is very dedicated to the Job. He has a colorful group of detectives who work for him. They are dedicated but they also
Quillracer
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book years ago, probably shortly after it was published in 1984. It has always been a book I remember reading because the title and author stuck with me for some reason, though if you'd asked me the plot, I couldn't have told you anything about it. Well, now I've re-read it and I have to say my feelings about it have run the gamut from "Why did I bother to remember this?" to "Wow! Now I know why it's stuck with me!"
The great part: It's alive with police jargon that makes dialog
Lukasz Pruski
"[...] was down on one knee putting a new clip into his weapon when a spray of slugs tore into his body. His Uzi clammered to the ground. The last thing he saw before he slumped over was his right eye dangling out of its socket, held by a twisted white cord."

I don't have time to conduct a thorough analysis of the crime novels that I have read and determine the percentage of books that start well but then degenerate into an idiotic, ludicrous mess at the end, "enlivened" by a shootout or a massac
Marcelina
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Police Dept. especially Detective Malone an excellent Detective, storyline was very creative!, but not the sex part, so will not be reading any more books of this writer!
Ed
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1984 novel is the first novel of the NYPD written by NYPD Lieutenant Caunitz. It was later made into a made-for-TV movie.

NYPD novel - A nude corpse in a bathtub. For Detective Lt. Dan Malone of New York's Fifth Precinct, it's all in a day's work. Until a key leads him to an after-hours sex club. Until phone numbers connect to the CIA. Until a mystery involving the Mossad, Muslims, the Army, and the NYPD. Heat comes down on Malone to get off the case. But it's too late-Malone is obsessed.
Leah
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Suspense built all the way to the end.
Robbie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good one; and the devil is in the detail. This guy was an NYPD cop/detective for a career and he seems to have gotten all the little things right.
Pat
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic good novel

Nothing like classic novels. Interesting characters and believable plot. NYC and it's police are a classic story written and filmed many times. It's own culture, intrigue, and history are the stuff of great works, some fiction, some reality, some.....believe it, or not.
Peter True
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read

Fast paced page turner. Twisting plot keeps you guessing and looking for more. Ending seems just a little too neat but acceptable. Interesting writing style. I will look for others by this author.
Marlene Bleau
Would have been better without all the sexist and degrading comments toward/about women.
Melissa Daston
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Written well before 9/11 but prescient in what would come. All with a police background with authenticity. Great summer read
Bob Box
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in 1987. Police procedural is gritty, authentic, well plotted and thoroughly enjoyable. Became a fan after this book. One of my favorites that year.
Jan
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written about 1985 - and talks of terrorist plots, in New York. However, the terrorist is not only outside, he is within the New York Police Department. I knew I was going back in time, when I read "typewriters" on the desks!

The Lt. finds there is a unit within a unit, bad cops, killing good cops, cover ups, middle east intrigue. The mob and loyalty to friends, with the Catholic church and more cover ups! Kinda covers a lot of ground! Dirty politics and revenge.

Interesting read, wr
Steven Allen
This was a good, if dated, look at the NYPD in the late '70s. The lack of any electronics, use of pay phones, and almost no prophylactic use is something you just do not read too much these days. This was before AIDS so most of the characters are more concerned with preventing pregnancy than catching an STD. Abortion is still new, and something that this society has not adjusted to.

Interesting mix of the Mossad, Libyan terrorists, and the Mob mixed in with dirty politicians. I like the fact tha
Joshua Emil
One Police Plaza or One PP, a diminutive used by New York's Finest, is a symbol of power, authority and leadership. In the novel, it was where cover-ups are staged and where corruption is committed. Even if that's the title, One Police Plaza as a building was rarely mentioned and was less of a setting. The last five chapters gave life and the push for me to finish reading it. The title should at least been focused on the case not the building where things revolved on the case because like I said ...more
Derek
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot in this book is a standard terrorist plot. The plot may even be a little far fetched. I would not rate this novel on the plot alone. It is the characters and the authenticity of the inner workings of a police department that make this such an entertaining read. A sergeant during rollcall says: "The Lieutenant expects sixty minutes to the hour on this. No 10-85 with the girlfriends". Only a Lieutenant like the author himself would even know things like that are said during briefings. I s ...more
Oscar
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story plot was quite okay actually, but all the racism, sexism and stuff was just ugh while reading it. I mean, I guess I have to take it in consider that the book is written in the early 1980's and that the NYC police wasn't the best people during that time but still.

I am guessing the author created the characters from his own experience of being a police officer, but sometimes I feel he has exaggerated all of it.

However, it was sometimes enjoyable to read but mostly it was just awful. I w
Phillip Wilson
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a tough one. One Police Plaza is a gritty, realistic police procedural written in a no-nonsense style. My issue is perhaps unfair since the book was written some time ago. As such, it appears dated. The attitudes and behaviors of the characters belong to another time. The portrayal of women is particularly awful. Women are window dressing -- either hookers, girlfriends or weakly written wives. It's a pity, because the novel really does resonate with authenticity.
Sheldon Lehman
It's like McBain's 87th Precinct, only edgier, combined with a lot of vulgarity. If you haven't read it yet, be thankful I have to spare you. The plot is okay, but nothing special. I'll probably read the other 6 cause that's what I do, but unless there is a big improvement I won't leave any comments beyond the rating.
John
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in 1986, when it impressed me as a R-rated version of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels. Re-reading it this week and not as impressed, but Caunitz could move the story along and the details about police work back in the day are interesting. Somehow, this was watered-down into a Robert Conrad tv movie for CBS, which I'd love to see.
Rhonda Lomazow
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written thriller that will have you racing through the pages.A woman's body is found dead in a bath tub a little gold key is discovered a gold key that leads to a sex club.A case that takes a spiderweb of turns from the cia to Israeli intelligence&on to the Muslim world.This is a well written edge of your seat book.

Carole Kuentz
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really Great

Well written and the suspense was great. It sure gave you an inside look at what being in the police force is really like. Their life's are on the line every day and there isn't much glamour in the job. The politics are everywhere and I'm sure it hampers their job daily. Great read and I'm looking forward to reading more of his books.
Michael Adamchuk
Det. Lt Dan Malone of the NYPD is on a case that leads him to a sex-club, the CIA, Mossad and the NYPD itself. His bosses are trying to discourage him from pursuing his investigation. He encounters obstacles to his investigation, conspiracies, and threats. Could it be the brass is trying to hide something?
Morgan Summerfield
This is still on my bookshelf, though I read it some time ago. Books don't stay on my shelves, if I don't plan to go back and read them again. This one is a keeper. Plenty of police procedure to glean from.
Marianne
I suppose the author, being an actual policeman, has the creds to write this story, but sheesh! What a bunch of sexual predators! I'm hoping things have changed. However, there are a few good guys. And don't the politicians and bureaucrats know how to spin!!!
Lynn
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last 60 pages I couldn't put the book down. Had to finish reading it.
Lora Stovall
I listened to this audiobook while I was doing other things, so I just let it play. Overall, I'd skip it. It starts out good, but doesn't hold together and the ending is dumb.
Catherine
This is one that just was ok. It didn't hold me captive. I probably wont read the rest of the series.
Jane Alexander
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the fast-paced, high anxiety story line - just not all the curse words and in-depth gory details.....but I guess they were necessary to fill out the reader's perception of the killer.
Marion Mockridge
Audiobook narrated by Richard Ferrone: an excellent police mystery with a cataclysmic conclusion.

• Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs
  • Doctor No (James Bond, #6)
  • Word of Honor
  • Goldfinger (James Bond, #7)
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • Memorial Bridge
  • The Moneychangers
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
  • In High Places
  • The General's Daughter
  • Strong Medicine
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • A Woman Like Her
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Detective
William J. Caunitz was a New York City Police Department officer who used his own experiences to write best-selling thrillers.

After serving in the United States Marine Corps, and working for an insurance company, he joined the NYPD in his twenties. He first worked as a patrolman, and eventually rose through the ranks to become a Lieutenant, followed by an assignment as a detective squad commander