Start by marking “Full of Briars (October Daye, #9.3)” as Want to Read:
Full of Briars (October Daye, #9.3)

Full of Briars (October Daye #9.3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,374 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
Meet Quentin Sollys. Squire. Hockey fan. Canadian. And Crown Prince to the entire continent of North America, known as “the Westlands” to the fae, currently ruled by his parents, High King Aethlin and High Queen Maida. Not that most people know that, since he’s a blind foster squired to a changeling—not exactly something that screams “hidden royalty.”

But with a new Queen o
Published August 2nd 2016 by DAW

Kira
Jan 08, 2016 Kira rated it really liked it
Normally I don't write reviews for short stories, but a lot happened although most of it isn’t essential to the overarching plot in the series. Finally I got to read about when Toby met the high king and queen! I felt short changed when it didn’t happen at the end of Chimes at Midnight. Anyway better late than never.

This was the first and hopefully the last story from Quentin’s POV. The glimpse inside his head made me like him less. Toby clearly has had a positive influence on him over the year
Susana

Note to self: Please re-read the whole series
What can I say?
My memory kind of sucks, so I really should have re-read the previous book before going into this new short story.
But even so, it isn't as if I don't "know" the characters and their peculiar "traits".

As such it was funny ( I must share Mae's sense of humour) to see Quentin's fretting about Toby meeting his parents. As always, Tybalt's nonchalance to everything "no cat... and Toby" related was a pleasure to read.

As for Tybalt's
Amy (Other Amy)
******************************
9/27/16: Review to come. Still thinking it over.
5/2/16: *comes out of hiding*
QUENTIN SOLLYS HAS A COVER AND IT IS PERFECT YES! This is going to be such an awkward story.
*goes back into hiding*
description
******************************
12/30/15: Look what I found today :)
Joanita

Oh how I have missed this fantastic world. Reading this amazing novella has reminded me why this series is one of my favorite UF series’. The characters are as amazing as always, and I loved that we got to see things from Quentin’s POV.

“Toby is good at complicating things. That’s why she’s been such a good teacher for me. By the time I’m High King, I’m going to be completely unflappable.”

Toby’s squire has grown so much since their paths have crossed, and seeing how much better both of them

Maria Dimitrova
Mar 22, 2016 Maria Dimitrova rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting for this moment ever since my friends and I figured out who Quentin really is! And it was just as hilarious as I expected! Though I always thought that it'll be Toby that goes on the offensive if Quentin's parents decide to try and take him away. Instead we got to see one possessive cat :D And we all know that what a cat want it gets! All my favourite side characters aside from the Luidaeg showed up and it was so damn good to be back in their company. I missed them so much! I c ...more
Pippa DaCosta
Jun 04, 2016 Pippa DaCosta marked it as to-read
Not on Amazon UK? Oh, Amazon. Why must you taunt me so?!

Suz
Aug 16, 2016 Suz rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, short
Nice little short story/ novella from Quentin's perspective. We get to meet his parents and see how he interacts with them, see his perspective of Tybalt and Toby and their relationship, and we get an opportunity to learn a bit more about Quentin as an individual - where he's been, how much he's grown since he's been with Toby, and a very good indication of the man he is becoming.
Karina
Aug 01, 2016 Karina rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2016
Fluff-piece from Quentin's POV, exactly as magnificently fluffy as I hoped it'd be.
Jasmine
Feb 19, 2016 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fiction, daw
QUENTIN MY HEART FOREVER

!!!! I thought I caught that subtext in the previous book, but I went NAH, that's wrong. I never pick up subtext. That's my mistake.

I WAS RIGHT.
Renay
This was a really cute snapshot of Quentin's perspective as he struggles to remain in service to Toby as her squire.

(You know when you ship something and then the author writes something that sinks your ship in a way that your brain can't find any good way around, and then to make matters worse you also like the other ship too because you're a multishipper and it's ADORABLE, so then you feel BAD for being super bummed out? And to double down on that there's a great scene with the characters you
Kathleen
Quentin is adorable. He's well adjusted, an excellent squire, and such a teenager. This is a wonderfully sweet story and it's nice to take a break from this usually blood soaked series for a few high stakes conversations. I definitely recommend this short story for fans of the series, though people unfamiliar with the characters probably wouldn't get much out of it. To you, I recommend the series as a whole.
Coyora Dokusho
Jan 27, 2016 Coyora Dokusho rated it it was amazing
And then.... there was squee!!! It was great reading from Quentin's point of view, there were alternating/overlapping moments of poignancy and humor and then.... there was squee.

That is all.
Ina
Feb 19, 2017 Ina rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings about this short story. There were things I hated and there were things I loved. Unfortunately, there was more of the first ones.

I was looking forward to meeting Quentin's parents and I expected them to be either awesome or terrible. They were neither. At times, they were nice, at times, I wanted them to go away, but they didn't leave lasting impression on me.

Although it was interesting to see other characters from Quentin's POV, I mostly disliked how everyone acted.
Ivy
Feb 05, 2017 Ivy rated it it was amazing
Ivy's Review of Full of Briars

5 stars

Nice to have a story from Quentin's POV. Also nice to see him interact with his parents. Glad to see Toby, Tybalt, and the others again as well.

Would recommend to fans of October Daye series. Also to fans of fae and shapeshifters.

Can't wait to read more October Daye books!!!!
Harald Koch
Please don't let Quentin narrate anymore. I don't like the inside of his head either (see other reviews). Also, the constant (view spoiler) all the way through the story, is annoying and distracting. We know. move on already.

The whole thing just felt like it was rushed to print. There is a lot of duplication everywhere.

This is analogous to a deleted scene that was deleted for a good reason. It doesn't advance the
Raven Black
Jul 13, 2016 Raven Black rated it liked it
I thought this was an OK book but I much prefer reading Toby's point of view. There were times that I wanted to hit Quentin, his mom and dad. The relationship between him and Dean came out of nowhere, it would have made more sense with Raj. Those two are already close. And there was the fact I felt that novella was too short. Any ways it was still a good read for me.
Marzie
Aug 01, 2016 Marzie rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. I was so annoyed by Raj's petulant manner in this story. Though it was amusing to see Toby and Tybalt through Quentin's eyes! Loved the backstory on Dean and Quentin's relationship.
Samantha
Nov 11, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
Um this was an interesting read and we got to see how Quentin see's things. I really don 't feel like doing a full review, but Raj really made me laugh in this.
Beth
Aug 02, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
You can never get enough of Tobi and the gang.
Steven
One word: awwwwwwww!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Full of Briars isn’t the strongest novella, which is a bit unfortunate given how it’s the only one that DAW actually sold. It’s good, and you definitely shouldn’t skip it if you’re reading this series, but it’s not the best of the October Daye novellas, that’s for sure. Also, FYI, the GR numbering is publication order, but chronologically, this story is what happens immediately after Chimes at Midnight ends.

The problem with this one is the first person narration. Quentin’s narration is bland. If
Erin (PT)
Tammy
Jan 05, 2016 Tammy rated it liked it
I really do like Quentin. In the main series I think he's great. I just didn't so much like him in this short? I'm hemming and hawing about this because I'm not quite sure what my problem is. His characterization felt weird to me, sort of unbalanced. Inconsistent, maybe. Which, sure, could be because he's a seventeen year old kid under some stress. But the text didn't back that up for me. Half the time it seemed his lines were being delivered by Tobey, which, again, could be him imitating her, b ...more
Amy Fuller
Aug 01, 2016 Amy Fuller rated it really liked it
This was wonderful! The POV is Quentin, and we get a breath of fresh air with it. Sometimes Toby still sees him through the eyes of a Knight and mother, and you don't always get the impression that Quentin is growing up mentally and cognitively, as well as physically. Seeing things from his POV lets us see that he is, and more, that he's actually fairly politically savvy and clever.
I love that we got to see more of his relationship with Raj and the High King and Queen. I'd love to know their rea
Minh
Jun 09, 2016 Minh rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Quentin! I just want to grab him and smoosh him to my chest he's just so gosh darn adorable. There's a reckoning coming, Quentin's parents (aka the rulers of America, aka Toby's boss' bosses) have come to meet their son and at the same time meet Toby for the first time.

Toby is such a strong character, it's refreshing to hit this series from a different point of view. I wish there was a bit more interaction with Quentin's parents, and really just some more time in Quentin's head!
Paulina
Aug 27, 2016 Paulina rated it it was amazing
There was no part of this story I didn't like. Love that it's from Quentin's POV, some of his insights of the world and people around him are hilarious, others heart-breakingly awkward. The short story is about 10 pages longer than her usual shorts, and I thought the narrative was ending with the car ride home, but the extra pages were well worth it. The end was surprising but also very sweet. And now the wait until September 6th - 10 more days!!
Mary
Nov 05, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
A nice novella addition to the series

Seanan McGuire is an exceptional storyteller. The Toby Daye series is one of my favorites and the short stories/novellas are required reading. They add something to the depth of the characters that you just can't get without them. It was fun to be in Quentin's head for a while. 4/5 stars.
Aug 16, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
An October Daye Universe story from the POV of Quentin. If that concept alone doesn't give you shivers of delight then perhaps you might want to consider reading some of the rest of the series first to truly appreciate this! This story fills in some lovely details I ached to know - it's practically a love letter to McGuire's fans and I thank her for that.
Sophie
Aug 03, 2016 Sophie rated it really liked it
This story left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. ♥♥♥

Also, May compares herself to Dawn Summers! I love it.
Jen
Aug 03, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
Oh, Quentin, you adorable squire! It's very, very good to hear your voice.

Such drama! Such cute! So making of the me happy!
  • Unwanted (Elemental Assassin, #14.5)
  • Blood of the Earth (Soulwood, #1)
  • Shadowed Souls
  • Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.1, 11.5, 12.1)
  • Lover's Knot (Dorina Basarab, #0.2)
  • Red Hot Rain (Weather Warden, #10)
  • Cast in Flight (Chronicles of Elantra, #12)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Made For Sin
  • Legacy of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #8)
  • Publish and Perish (Linnet Ellery, #3)
  • Feedback (Newsflesh, #4)
  • Shattered Shields
  • From the Editorial Page of the Falchester Weekly Review (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3.5)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)
  • Crimson Death (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #25)
  • The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and
More about Seanan McGuire...

October Daye (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)

“Then I’d been determined to be the best blind foster the world had ever known, following every rule, obeying every protocol, the very model of royal fae youth. Maybe that way, they would send for me. I could go home.” 0 likes
“Quentin Sollys: the Once and Future King of Spiders.” 0 likes