Start by marking “Carry On” as Want to Read:

Carry On

(Simon Snow #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  158,880 ratings  ·  23,223 reviews
A #1 New York Times-bestseller

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke ua

Published February 25th 2016 by Macmillan (first published October 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Carry On, please sign up.
Brooke It really angers me when people think of Carry On as a Harry Potter fanfiction. Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter, but Carry On is a whole…moreIt really angers me when people think of Carry On as a Harry Potter fanfiction. Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter, but Carry On is a whole different book, with different, beautiful characters. Okay, so there is a pair of enemies, one an orphan, one from a rich, old family, and there is magic, and a threat to the magickal world. But the World of Mages is not Harry's world, there is a completely different concept of magic, and Mages need normals, whereas wizards don't need muggles. Also, and I can't say this enough, the character's are unique and beautiful, and completely Rainbow Rowell's. So, there are parrallels, but that's the case with a lot of books, but, Carry On is not Harry Potter fanfiction, and it is beautiful.(less)
Keri Engel I think I would feel a bit cheated if she doesn't mention Cath at all! Carry On is Cath's story! What would be truly amazing is if this book takes…moreI think I would feel a bit cheated if she doesn't mention Cath at all! Carry On is Cath's story! What would be truly amazing is if this book takes place later in the future... as in when Cath and Levi are married and have a kid, who is reading Simon Snow & Cath's FanFic for the first time.Then she could give us small clues as to our Cath and Levi turn out while giving us a different angle of Fandom... the moment when someone falls in love with a story and realizes their life will never be the same. Please please PLEASE Rainbow Rowell give me this gift!(less)

·  158,880 ratings  ·  23,223 reviews

Start your review of Carry On
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chaima ✨ شيماء by: prag ♻
Hello 911 yes I just finished Carry On and I’d like to surgically remove my feelings

Honestly my heart is such a soft and sensitive mess right now. This book was soft love that feels a lot like when you're standing in the sunlight and you don’t really want to leave and it somehow gives you the sensation of lazily melting into what’s around you as you take it all in. I need to do more to deserve the love I'm feeling right now because I think I'm seriously about to get done for tax evasion.

This review is going to
Claudia Ramírez
OKAY. OKAY OKAY...

I don't even know where to start. Obviosuly I loved this book, but I'm not sure if I loved it enough to be a TOP favorite of mine, though I really FEEL something, like... I think it'll become one of those books that I'll love more and more with every day that passes. But for now, let's just say that Rainbow Rowell did it again... I'M IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING SHE WRITES.

The first part of this book was a little slow, but as soon as Baz makes his official appearance, everything gets SO MU
Raeleen Lemay
DNF @ page 163

In the author's note, Rowell says this is her take on the whole "Chosen One" story. But in reality, it's her take on FREAKING HARRY POTTER. Anybody who tries to tell me not to compare the two... Just no. Every little thing about this story (the setting, characters, etc.) can easily be traced back to Harry Potter and Hogwarts and EVERYTHING IS THE SAME. Plus, the characters are just plain boring and annoying for the most part. I couldn't find anything enjoyable about this in t
Katytastic
VIDEO REVIEW - http://bit.ly/1RLgYvM

New addition to my "all time favorites" list. Possibly new #1 all time favorite. I ADORED this book. Funny and cute and clever with a cool plot and fun world and plenty of squee-inducing moments. I've read the whole book through twice, going on my third read. And there are some chapters I've read at least six or seven times. AND THE BOOK HAS BEEN OUT A WEEK. I'm obsessed. I put the book down and all I want is to pick it up again. Aleister Crowley, I'm living a charmed lif
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
4.5, I feel like if I give it more thought it'll be a full on 5 stars. I just felt like the beginning portion of the book dragged a bit.
While this book definitely had elements that we're similar to other fantasy stories, it had it's own refreshing style. The characters we're brilliant (as most of Rainbow's characters are) and the story itself was fun, mysterious, and exciting!
Steph Sinclair
Does this count as Harry Potter fan fiction? Sirius question.
Lola
I demand a sequel.

Now.

The fun can’t just end. The story must continue. Simon and Baz shall date and get married and have kids and... and... !

Alright, let’s not be too clamorous about this. What we have here is a fantasy. Or rather, my fantasy. But really, who never dreamed of sharing a room with a mysterious and handsome boy who constantly gets on your nerves but who’s secretly head over heels for you?

Simon has that. But… he’s clueless. And Baz sur
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Sorry, this book is just too meta for me, man.

This book is about a fictional character who was the subject of fascination in another fictional character's life from another book. It's a story about a made-up character from a series that's fictional inspired from another fictional series? Does that even make any sense? I don't even know. It's just too meta, man!

Besides the ludicrous premise of a fictional Harry Potter (can you even have a fictional fanfic of a character wh
Regan
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Really really enjoyed it
Kenchiin
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks God I'm already gay, because after reading this I would probably want to turn into one.
Maria
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

“You were the sun, and I was crashing into you.”

This book was MAGIC. Literal magic. I enjoyed it tremendously. The beginning, though, was a chaos for me. It started off too strong, with too much information thrown at me, with no concept. The story started off from Simon's 8th year in Watford. So, there were many things that had happened in the previous years that the author tried to explain briefly. The first 100 pages were very confusing and disorienting for me, I was trying to keep
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”You’re so alive, Simon Snow.
You got my share of it.”

This is probably going to be the most incoherent review I’ve ever written but I just can’t seem to be able to contain myself!!! I mean we’re talking about SIMON AND BAZ!!! BAZ AND SIMON!!! <333
OMG!!! I can’t even!!! THEY ARE EVERYTHING AND EVEN MORE!!! XD

Their love reduced me to a babbling and giggling mess and I can’t stop to grin! I’m still grinning like a Cheshire cat and it’s starting to hurt!!! BUT oh god, how much I loved those two!!!
There are no words that would do th<333
OMG!!!
Giovanna
Dec 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
"I received a copy of this book through Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review."

Me and 2016, see, we were good. 'Til this week. Had one of the worst weeks ever and now this.

I started reading when I was six. Well, everybody here did, but what I meant is: after they taught me how to read I kept reading. I never stopped. Sure, there were years in which I read less (middle school. Worst period of my life.) and years in which it seems like the only thing I could say was "more books.", but I never
Nat
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, diverse-reads
“You have to pretend that you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can’t carry on at all.”

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

This was my first time rereading the whole book instead of just reading the really cute scenes over and over.
Fangirl was one of the very first books that got me into reading Young Adult a
Kristina Horner
Yup, I'm totally on board the "I just want to re-read this book forever" train.

I can't even explain it. I went in to this book with a healthy amount of skepticism (mostly an attitude like "but why does this book exist?") and I was TOTALLY put in my place. This book is perfect.

It's everything fanfic-loving adolescent Kristina ever wanted out of a book. It's everything that never would have happened in Harry Potter. It's delicious LGBT+ representative romance, it's sassy wr
C.G. Drews
[Read 2] Sept 2019
You know what? I am here to revise my opinion and give this book 5 stars 👀and I have no regrets. It feels like mildly trashy fanfic (in a good way) and it's so very like Harry Potter to begin with, until it starts overturning tropes and being super awfully wonderful gay. All the gay. Everywhere. Oblivious dumb gays (aka SIMON) are basically the best trope because hello relatable and add in magic and chosen ones who SUCK and hate-to-love-slowburn-queerness and I just realised I will h[Read
chan ☆
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
jk rowling could N E V E R, honey

i blame twitter for this honestly. but as an adult person, in 2018, i think i like this better than harry potter. i know what you're thinking. how dare you blaspheme the original boy wizard. but this book does SUCH a good job at pointing out the issues in the source material that this was a riff off of.

let's count the ways
- diversity... not only in name but in ACTION (hello indian hermione and gay draco)
- simon/harry actually expresses his annoyance at hav/>let's
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, queer, 2015
“I think I might kiss him. He's right here. And his lips are hanging open and his eyes are alive, alive, alive.”

This book made me very happy. I have to put my thoughts in order before I can write a decent review.

The first hundred pages were not overly exciting. It took some time introducing the cast, setting up the magickal world, getting the reader to understand the way the World of Mages and Simon's life work. To be honest I even grew a little bored at first. Baz wasn't there, Si
wesley
simon and baz 01simon and baz 02simon and baz 03

I’ve loved Fangirl, especially the excerpts from Cath’s fanfics featuring Simon and Baz. But this! This is just a whole new level of intense. And if the above will not make you die of extreme sweetness, I don’t know what will.

You might have observed as well that the quotes above are all from Baz’s POV. It doesn’t mean that Simon didn’t have his moments (because he most certainly did!), but I’ve always imagined Baz to be a snobbish, condescending prick when I’d get to finally hear his voice. Well, he was most of thewill.

You

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
So…Carry On.

I really wanted to like this book. It had potential. But ultimately, this book let me down. Frankly, it was a bit of a mess.

The big question everyone seems to be asking about Carry On, is whether or not you need to read Rainbow Rowell’s contemporary novel Fangirl first, since the two are somewhat linked. The clear and definite answer to this is: no. You won’t get anything more or less ou
Hannah
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
4.5 Stars

This book is by no means perfect and I don't think it's for everyone. The world could have used a bit more development, there were some plot lines that deserved a little bit more attention, and it's pretty meta, so if that isn't your thing, you may have a tough time with this.

But

This is genuinely one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read. I cried, I laughed, I texted my friend screaming in all caps, I cried again.

Carry On is Rainbow Rowell's tak
Caz (littlebookowl)
I feel like it's more of a 3.75, maybe?

This was a delight, though I'll admit I expected to love it more than I did. I think this may be because, although this very obviously draws a lot of inspiration from Harry Potter, I couldn't stop my brain from constantly drawing parallels throughout the entire time reading this. It seems that for some readers those comparisons stopped after a while, but it was constantly in the back of my mind.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it because of the H
Ashley
September 2016: Comfort re-read. Highly comforting. Still great, okay bye.

October 2015, Updated 10/27/15: Okay, so. Look. This book. So good. I mean, it just. It has no right to. Like. What. To be so good. Finding words? Like, it should NOT work. Brain trying to brain. Failing.

Fuck it. I’m not capable of being objective about this book. FIVE STARS.

But first before the actual review, two things, so I can feel I’ve said my piece:

1. This book is NOT Harry Potter fanfiction, and/>1./>October
Darth J

I can’t believe Baz never said, “You know nothing, Simon Snow!”

I have to say that this book did a decent job of trying to fill the Harry Potter-sized hole in our hearts, but we all know that nothing else will ever completely compare. Watford and the surrounding World of Mages is like a valentine for those of us who still can’t let go of the Wizarding World—and damn anyone who tries to make us.

I can’t believe Baz never said, “You know nothing, Simon Snow!”

I didn’t care for the romance aspects of this book, but I rarely do anyway so I just kinda skimmed past them. I know that romance and slash are kinda the main points of fanfiction, but the whole hurt/comfort tag really isn’t for me (Sorry, An Archive of Our Own). What I did like, however, was that this is definitely a Rainbow Rowell book, and by that I mean that the characters are well-developed and flawed. Which is something I keep saying is needed when you have super-powered people running around: there must be some sort of believability somewhere in the story for the audience to buy into it. And that’s where Rowell shines; this isn’t about romance, it’s not about magic, it’s about imperfect people and how their sagas overlap and interconnect. And that’s what grounds the book; that’s what makes these situations relatable: the frailty of our human nature.

(view spoiler)
Warda
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at page 250.
Never thought I'd DNF a Rainbow Rowell novel. It was my 2nd attempt and as much as I wanted to love it, since I've adored her other books, it just wasn't for me.

I couldn't have cared less about the characters or storyline. It felt a bit all over the place, like reading the last instalment in a series. And though we were told certain aspects and events that occurred previously, it felt rushed and flimsy. There was no space for it to properly develop. It was just throw
Chloe
3rd read: September 2019
Physical. 5 stars
SO READY FOR WAYWARD SON!

2nd read: December 2017
Physical. 5 stars

1st read: July 2017
eBook. 5 stars
AHHHH!!!!! I LOVE THESE CHARACTERS. I LOVE SIMON. I LOVE BAZ. I LOVE PENELOPE. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!

description
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I DON'T KNOW YOU GUYS. It took a while for anything to happen and then everything happened all at once, so much so that it was actually confusing. Like, I still don't understand what happened????? I shipped Simon and Baz SO HARD THO. But other than that and an exciting build up towards the end (that ended up being disappointing because I was confused), it was just okay :/ SUCH DISAPPOINTMENT.
emma
The point of contention in a lot of reviews of this book is: Is it too much like Harry Potter?

But I don’t really like Harry Potter, so I don’t care about that. What I care about is: IS THIS THE ADORABLE GAY ROMANCE I’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR? IS THE PLOT EXCITING? IS THERE ENOUGH MAGIC? IS IT FUN TO READ? DO I FEEL EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE PAGES PASS BY IN A NOT-TOO-DIFFICULT BUT STILL NOT EFFORTLESS READING EXPERIENCE?

The answer to those questions, in order: yes, no, no, no, ye
Maureen
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars
I don't think this was *quite* 5 star for me, but it was pretty dang close. If I think about it more I may end up moving it up.
SO MANY FEELS SO MANY.
Honestly this was so fantastic. It perfectly blended the magical elements with the romance elements (if u didn't know....LGBTQ REPRESENTATION WHAT WHAT I see u Simon and Baz) and didn't feel like it was trying too hard EVER.
I loved the magic system and how different it was and also the characters and just AHHH. I w
Jenny
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to love this book as much as I do. When I was reading Fangirl I couldn't have cared less about Simon and Baz. For me they were merely a quirky Harry Potter parody and a plot device to develop Cath and Levi's relationship.
This was the mindset that I had while going into this book. Initially I noticed that the book didn't take itself too seriously and it KNEW not to take itself to seriously. You gotta love Rainbow for that.
In the beginning I couldn't help but draw para
spoilers! 2 23 Oct 24, 2019 03:21PM
Maybe a little too inspired by Harry Potter? 16 159 Oct 24, 2019 03:19PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Carry On (Simon Snow #1) by Rainbow Rowell - Restarting September 21st 2019 316 520 Sep 24, 2019 09:04AM

• Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • What If It's Us
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • They Both Die at the End
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
  • Captive Prince (Captive Prince, #1)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • Autoboyography
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about

Simon Snow (3 books)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, #3)
“You were the sun, and I was crashing into you.” 858 likes
“What you are is a fucking tragedy, Simon Snow. You literally couldn't be a bigger mess."
He tries to kiss me, but I pull back- "And you like that?"
"I love it." He says