Start by marking “Carry On” as Want to Read:
Carry On

Carry On (Simon Snow #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  114,747 Ratings  ·  17,962 Reviews
A #1 New York Times-bestseller

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and the

Published February 25th 2016 by Macmillan (first published October 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Carry On, please sign up.
Paul at The Galaxial Word No, there's no reference to Fangirl at all. Rather than thinking of it as a spin-off from Fangirl, I like to think of it as a standalone novel,…moreNo, there's no reference to Fangirl at all. Rather than thinking of it as a spin-off from Fangirl, I like to think of it as a standalone novel, because she's discarded everything that she wrote in Fangirl. The plot is completely different from what we saw in the snippets from Fangirl, and Rowell isn't writing as Cath. She's writing as herself basically. By the way, you can read my review for more here: http://bit.ly/1NZUGHS(less)
Brooke It really angers me when people think of Carry On as a Harry Potter fanfiction. Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter, but Carry On is a whole…moreIt really angers me when people think of Carry On as a Harry Potter fanfiction. Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter, but Carry On is a whole different book, with different, beautiful characters. Okay, so there is a pair of enemies, one an orphan, one from a rich, old family, and there is magic, and a threat to the magickal world. But the World of Mages is not Harry's world, there is a completely different concept of magic, and Mages need normals, whereas wizards don't need muggles. Also, and I can't say this enough, the character's are unique and beautiful, and completely Rainbow Rowell's. So, there are parrallels, but that's the case with a lot of books, but, Carry On is not Harry Potter fanfiction, and it is beautiful.(less)

Clau R.
OKAY. OKAY OKAY...

I don't even know where to start. Obviosuly I loved this book, but I'm not sure if I loved it enough to be a TOP favorite of mine, though I really FEEL something, like... I think it'll become one of those books that I'll love more and more with every day that passes. But for now, let's just say that Rainbow Rowell did it again... I'M IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING SHE WRITES.

The first part of this book was a little slow, but as soon as Baz makes his official appearance, everything ge
Raeleen Lemay
DNF @ page 163

In the author's note, Rowell says this is her take on the whole "Chosen One" story. But in reality, it's her take on FREAKING HARRY POTTER. Anybody who tries to tell me not to compare the two... Just no. Every little thing about this story (the setting, characters, etc.) can easily be traced back to Harry Potter and Hogwarts and EVERYTHING IS THE SAME. Plus, the characters are just plain boring and annoying for the most part. I couldn't find anything enjoyable about this in the 163
Kat O'Keeffe
VIDEO REVIEW - http://bit.ly/1RLgYvM

New addition to my "all time favorites" list. Possibly new #1 all time favorite. I ADORED this book. Funny and cute and clever with a cool plot and fun world and plenty of squee-inducing moments. I've read the whole book through twice, going on my third read. And there are some chapters I've read at least six or seven times. AND THE BOOK HAS BEEN OUT A WEEK. I'm obsessed. I put the book down and all I want is to pick it up again. Aleister Crowley, I'm living a
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
4.5, I feel like if I give it more thought it'll be a full on 5 stars. I just felt like the beginning portion of the book dragged a bit.
While this book definitely had elements that we're similar to other fantasy stories, it had it's own refreshing style. The characters we're brilliant (as most of Rainbow's characters are) and the story itself was fun, mysterious, and exciting!
Steph Sinclair
Does this count as Harry Potter fan fiction? Sirius question.
Lola
I demand a sequel.

Now.

The fun can’t just end. The story must continue. Simon and Baz shall date and get married and have kids and... and... !

Alright, let’s not be too clamorous about this. What we have here is a fantasy. Or rather, my fantasy. But really, who never dreamed of sharing a room with a mysterious and handsome boy who constantly gets on your nerves but who’s secretly head over heels for you?

Simon has that. But… he’s clueless. And Baz sure won’t say anything about his feelings for him
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Sorry, this book is just too meta for me, man.

This book is about a fictional character who was the subject of fascination in another fictional character's life from another book. It's a story about a made-up character from a series that's fictional inspired from another fictional series? Does that even make any sense? I don't even know. It's just too meta, man!

Besides the ludicrous premise of a fictional Harry Potter (can you even have a fictional fanfic of a character who is fiction in the firs
Regan
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Really really enjoyed it
Em
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Em by: just here for desi sapphics
hello 911 yes I just finished Carry On and I’d like to surgically remove my feelings

honestly my heart is such a soft and sensitive mess right now. This book was soft love that feels a lot like when you're standing in the sunlight and you don’t really want to leave and it somehow gives you the sensation of lazily melting into what’s around you as you take it all in. I honestly need to do more to deserve the love I'm feeling right now because I think I'm seriously about to get done for tax evasion
Kenchiin
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks God I'm already gay, because after reading this I would probably want to turn into one.
Nat
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, diverse-reads
“You have to pretend that you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can’t carry on at all.”

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

This was my first time rereading the whole book instead of just reading the really cute scenes over and over.
Fangirl was one of the very first books that got me into reading Young Adult and because of that Rainbow Rowell will forever hold a special place in my heart.

So, of course, when Carry On came out back in October it instantly became one of
Kristina Horner
Yup, I'm totally on board the "I just want to re-read this book forever" train.

I can't even explain it. I went in to this book with a healthy amount of skepticism (mostly an attitude like "but why does this book exist?") and I was TOTALLY put in my place. This book is perfect.

It's everything fanfic-loving adolescent Kristina ever wanted out of a book. It's everything that never would have happened in Harry Potter. It's delicious LGBT+ representative romance, it's sassy writing, it's delightful u
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”You’re so alive, Simon Snow.
You got my share of it.”

This is probably going to be the most incoherent review I’ve ever written but I just can’t seem to be able to contain myself!!! I mean we’re talking about SIMON AND BAZ!!! BAZ AND SIMON!!! <333
OMG!!! I can’t even!!! THEY ARE EVERYTHING AND EVEN MORE!!! XD

Their love reduced me to a babbling and giggling mess and I can’t stop to grin! I’m still grinning like a Cheshire cat and it’s starting to hurt!!! BUT oh god, how much I loved those two!!!
Lindsey Rey
One word: BRILLIANT.
wesley
simon and baz 01simon and baz 02simon and baz 03

I’ve loved Fangirl, especially the excerpts from Cath’s fanfics featuring Simon and Baz. But this! This is just a whole new level of intense. And if the above will not make you die of extreme sweetness, I don’t know what will.

You might have observed as well that the quotes above are all from Baz’s POV. It doesn’t mean that Simon didn’t have his moments (because he most certainly did!), but I’ve always imagined Baz to be a snobbish, condescending prick when I’d get to finally hear his voice. Well

Giovanna
Dec 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
"I received a copy of this book through Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review."

Me and 2016, see, we were good. 'Til this week. Had one of the worst weeks ever and now this.

I started reading when I was six. Well, everybody here did, but what I meant is: after they taught me how to read I kept reading. I never stopped. Sure, there were years in which I read less (middle school. Worst period of my life.) and years in which it seems like the only thing I could say was "more books.", but I nev
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, glbt, to-buy
“I think I might kiss him. He's right here. And his lips are hanging open and his eyes are alive, alive, alive.”

This book made me very happy. I have to put my thoughts in order before I can write a decent review.

The first hundred pages were not overly exciting. It took some time introducing the cast, setting up the magickal world, getting the reader to understand the way the World of Mages and Simon's life work. To be honest I even grew a little bored at first. Baz wasn't there, Simon was obsess
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
So…Carry On.

I really wanted to like this book. It had potential. But ultimately, this book let me down. Frankly, it was a bit of a mess.

The big question everyone seems to be asking about Carry On, is whether or not you need to read Rainbow Rowell’s contemporary novel Fangirl first, since the two are somewhat linked. The clear and definite answer to this is: no. You won’t get anything more or less out of this book having read Fangirl first. HOWEVER, you do need to have read Harry Potter . People
Ashley
September 2016: Comfort re-read. Highly comforting. Still great, okay bye.

October 2015, Updated 10/27/15: Okay, so. Look. This book. So good. I mean, it just. It has no right to. Like. What. To be so good. Finding words? Like, it should NOT work. Brain trying to brain. Failing.

Fuck it. I’m not capable of being objective about this book. FIVE STARS.

But first before the actual review, two things, so I can feel I’ve said my piece:

1. This book is NOT Harry Potter fanfiction, and Simon and Baz are NO
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
I feel like it's more of a 3.75, maybe?

This was a delight, though I'll admit I expected to love it more than I did. I think this may be because, although this very obviously draws a lot of inspiration from Harry Potter, I couldn't stop my brain from constantly drawing parallels throughout the entire time reading this. It seems that for some readers those comparisons stopped after a while, but it was constantly in the back of my mind.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it because of the HP sim
Darth J

I can’t believe Baz never said, “You know nothing, Simon Snow!”

I have to say that this book did a decent job of trying to fill the Harry Potter-sized hole in our hearts, but we all know that nothing else will ever completely compare. Watford and the surrounding World of Mages is like a valentine for those of us who still can’t let go of the Wizarding World—and damn anyone who tries to make us.

I didn’t care for the romance aspects of this book, but I rarely do anyway so I just kinda skimmed past
C.G. Drews
This book, you peoples. THIS BOOK. I admit! I was skeptical! Because I really hate Harry Potter rip-offs usually (like The Iron Trial soooo didn't work for me) and I was also curious to see how Rainbow Rowell would pull of a fantasy book when she's famous for her contemporaries. Well guess what?! I FREAKING LOVED IT. I started off moody and then ended shrieking and turning pages so fast I nearly ended up with the book in my mouth. It is delicious. I am just sayin'.

So OBVIOUSLY I need a list. But
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I DON'T KNOW YOU GUYS. It took a while for anything to happen and then everything happened all at once, so much so that it was actually confusing. Like, I still don't understand what happened????? I shipped Simon and Baz SO HARD THO. But other than that and an exciting build up towards the end (that ended up being disappointing because I was confused), it was just okay :/ SUCH DISAPPOINTMENT.
Hannah
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
4.5 Stars

This book is by no means perfect and I don't think it's for everyone. The world could have used a bit more development, there were some plot lines that deserved a little bit more attention, and it's pretty meta, so if that isn't your thing, you may have a tough time with this.

But

This is genuinely one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read. I cried, I laughed, I texted my friend screaming in all caps, I cried again.

Carry On is Rainbow Rowell's take on the "chosen one" trope, and I
Warda
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at page 250.
Never thought I'd DNF a Rainbow Rowell novel. It was my 2nd attempt and as much as I wanted to love it, since I've adored her other books, it just wasn't for me.

I couldn't have cared less about the characters or storyline. It felt a bit all over the place, like reading the last instalment in a series. And though we were told certain aspects and events that occurred previously, it felt rushed and flimsy. There was no space for it to properly develop. It was just thrown in there,
Maureen
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars
I don't think this was *quite* 5 star for me, but it was pretty dang close. If I think about it more I may end up moving it up.
SO MANY FEELS SO MANY.
Honestly this was so fantastic. It perfectly blended the magical elements with the romance elements (if u didn't know....LGBTQ REPRESENTATION WHAT WHAT I see u Simon and Baz) and didn't feel like it was trying too hard EVER.
I loved the magic system and how different it was and also the characters and just AHHH. I would totally read more S
Megan
Here is my review of Fangirl, in its entirety:

RAINBOW, YOUR NEXT BOOKS NEEDS TO BE ABOUT GAY WIZARDS. PLS N THX.

It's like all my dreams are coming truuuuue!!!!
Jenny
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to love this book as much as I do. When I was reading Fangirl I couldn't have cared less about Simon and Baz. For me they were merely a quirky Harry Potter parody and a plot device to develop Cath and Levi's relationship.
This was the mindset that I had while going into this book. Initially I noticed that the book didn't take itself too seriously and it KNEW not to take itself to seriously. You gotta love Rainbow for that.
In the beginning I couldn't help but draw parallels to Har
Jessica
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Tehanu
Dec 09, 2014 marked it as skip-through  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
So this will basically be a Drarry fanfic, right?

Nevermind, It's Rainbow so I'll read it!
The Backlot Gay B...: Carry On (the rise and fall of Simon Snow), by Rainbow Rowell 1 8 Jul 08, 2018 05:28AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Carry On By Rainbow Rowell - Restarting June 18th 2018 212 387 Jun 23, 2018 01:58PM
What if they weren't that wrong on the prophecy? 1 8 Jun 20, 2018 05:55PM
hey 1 8 Apr 10, 2018 11:44AM
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • The Darkest Part of the Forest
  • Wonders of the Invisible World
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Ruin and Rising (Grisha Verse, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Falling From The Sky (Bear Creek, #1)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever #2)
  • The Carnival at Bray
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • Bone Gap
  • I Crawl Through It
  • The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3)
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
More about Rainbow Rowell

Simon Snow (2 books)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“You were the sun, and I was crashing into you.” 647 likes
“What you are is a fucking tragedy, Simon Snow. You literally couldn't be a bigger mess."
He tries to kiss me, but I pull back- "And you like that?"
"I love it." He says