Start by marking “Writing Vivid Dialogue: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors (Writer's Craft Book 16)” as Want to Read:

Writing Vivid Dialogue: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors

(Writer's Craft #16)

Do you want to write fast-paced, exciting, sizzling dialogue?

This book reveals professional dialogue technique to characterise the speaker, carry the plot forward and entertain your readers.

This is not a beginner's guide. I assume that you have mastered the basics of fiction writing, and you don't need an explanation what dialogue is and why it matters for your story. Bu
Published January 4th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Writing Vivid Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Vivid Dialogue

Vicki
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I can not recommend this book enough to writers of all levels. There is so much packed into this book. I am keeping it as a reference and will read it often. Each chapter is another powerful tool.

There are so many distinctions in writing dialogue and she touches on them all in a way that motivates you to make it snappier, livelier and as she says more vivid.

It was easy to second guess myself but now I know I have this book to steer me in a better conversational direction. I can write better, I
Rosie Amber
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Writing Vivid Dialogue: Professional techniques for Fiction Authors. This book aims to offer a toolbox of techniques for authors to cherry pick to enable their characters to carry the plot forward and entertain their readers. Rayne suggests that this book could also be used as an advance dialogue writing course and I agree with this statement.

Set out in easy to use chapters, the book covers a huge range of ideas; building tension, working with contractions, making dialogue tight, body language a
➳Ðeborah⋄
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creative-writing
Probably the most helpful book on dialogue I have ever read. It covers different situations and gives tips on how to make it better. It's not just the usual advice on how you should write dialogue, it goes beyond that and provides really nice insights when it comes to strengthening dialogue depending on your intentions and the things you want to convey to the reader.
Overall, I really liked it and I recommend it to anyone wishing to improve their writing.
H.M
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. It went through all the ways in which a writer can make the reading experience deeper and more meaningful. I have started employing all the techniques and my writings improving. Highly recommendedd.
Malek Montag
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Food for thought

Five Stars? Yes, five. I like the way Raine has considered virtually every angle to support her points and set challenging assignments at the end of each chapter.

I've considered myself an accomplished writer for some time. But in wanting to push my understanding further and develop my craft, I came upon this work. It has taught me a great deal. This is a very good work book, and I hope an excellent reference as I move forward. Try it for yourself.
Kristin Holt
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
I recommend this title to all authors, whether new to the craft of writing fiction or a multi-pubbed author with seventy-five titles. I believe this book of professional techniques has something for everyone.
Thank you, Rayne Hall, for opening my eyes. You brought key concepts to my attention I'd never been taught (or read) elsewhere. This book is one I'll reread.
Maxine
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good "Here's-How" by Rayne Hall.

Rayne Hall gets down to business and shows you just how to write it: emotions, characters, settings, revision prompts . . . Her whole series is a must for beginning writers.
Sue Lilley
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another example of Rayne Hall’s excellent advice. Always down to earth and readable, her books are helpful and informative. I already knew some of the hints, which were good recaps. But I did learn new things aswell. I particularly liked the suggestion of putting the strongest word at the end.
J.M.
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good insight into dialog.

This book gives some good insight into dialog. As always in this series, there are ample examples. Great for a beginning fiction writer, a good refresher for others.
Hope Trainer
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Enhanced dialogue

Great book for enhancing your dialogue especially if you are starting out as a writer. Techniques are explained well and examples given. Writing dialogue for different scenarios eg historical fiction, people with different accents considered.
Margaretha
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful for someone who has struggled with dialogue. I am more of a descriptive writer and this has helped me to move some of the necessary info from description into dialogue.
Eliza
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great

Really insightful text showing how to pay more attention to character's dialogue and its purpose for moving the plot along. Also useful for scriptwriters.
James Hightower
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great techniques. Great examples. Great book! If you want to improve the dialogue in your stories then this is the book for you.
John P Green
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended. The series of books by this author meets all expectations.
Preethi Venugopala
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must have for every fiction writer. Easy to follow tips.
Geraldine Evans
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Every aspect of dialogue is covered. A tremendous resource when a scene just won't go right and you're desperate for help.
debra schneider
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent well written very helpful

I have read many books on writing in the last few weeks. This is perhaps one of the most helpful. The information is concise it gives great examples. I didn't take advantage of the lessons only because I am not that far along in my own works and it's not my thing but they are available for those who want them. I would highly recommend this book
Graham Downs
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
I was asked by the author to beta-read an earlier edition of this book, and then I re-read the final published version.

I've read a few of Rayne Hall's Writer's Craft books before, and I've always been suitably impressed. This one is no different. It's filled with practical advice, written in plain English, and uses lots of examples.

This book is a veritable gold mine of information, and in fact, I've already implemented a few of these tips in some stories I've written since reading it. I particul
Amy
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous resource for anyone looking to sharpen their dialogue skills as a writer. I have half the book highlighted and written on notecards and poster boards to keep me thinking of newer and better dialogue. A wonderful addition to anyone's library for books on writing. I know I'll be returning to this advice again and again. So glad I found this read.
Winter Bayne
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, on-writing, kindle
Rayne Hall is always concise, quick to the point, and delivers great tips. Exactly what I look for in a craft book.
John Kilgallon
Excellent work on advancing dialogue techniques.
Ashley Hudlow
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book

This is a great book for writers who are looking to spruce up their dialogue. I would recommend this book and its series to any writer.
Guts
Feb 04, 2016
Lori Carpenter
Aug 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rayne Hall writes fantasy and horror fiction, some of it quirky, most of it dark. She is the author of over sixty books in different genres and under different pen names, published by twelve publishers in six countries, translated into several languages. Her short stories have been published in magazines, e-zines and anthologies.

After living in Germany, China, Mongolia and Nepal, she has settled i

Writer's Craft (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Writing Fight Scenes
  • Writing Scary Scenes
  • Why Does My Book Not Sell? 20 Simple Fixes: Indie Publishing Success - Sell More Books (Writer's Craft 9)
  • Writing About Villains
  • The Word-Loss Diet
  • Writing Short Stories to Promote Your Novels (Writer's Craft)
  • Writer's Craft Power Pack 1: 5-Book Bundle
  • Writing about Magic
  • Twitter for Writers: The Author's Guide to Tweeting Success (Writer's Craft Book 8)
  • Writing Dark Stories: How to Write Horror and Other Disturbing Short Stories (Writer's Craft Book 6)