Start by marking “Hindu Rites and Rituals: Origins and Meanings” as Want to Read:
Hindu Rites and Rituals: Origins and Meanings

Hindu Rites and Rituals: Origins and Meanings

Why is the tulsi considered sacred? What is the significance of namaste? Why do Hindus light a lamp before performing a ritual? Why is it forbidden to sleep facing the south?
Why do Hindus chant 'shanti' three times after performing a rite?
Millions of Hindus the world over grow up observing rites, rituals and religious practices that lie at the heart of Hinduism
Published November 25th 2015 by Penguin

Start your review of Hindu Rites and Rituals: Origins and Meanings
Ankush Rajput
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I bought this book thinking it would explain the symbolism behind hindu rituals and traditions. But it was far from it.

Author reasons as if mythology is proven factual history. He talks a lot in terms of divine vibrations,divine energy as if it is something scientific which can be observed and measured. He talks about various researches which were conducted which proves scientific logic of a ritual without providing any reference.

For example -

Why coconut is offered in temples ?
As per au
Tushar
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know why we do certain rituals,rites then you should read this book.There are six sections in the book.

1.Gods,Goddess and Nature

In this section, the author tells about certain rituals we do while puja like what is the significance of offering different flowers to our deities etc.

2.Important Hindu Dates

In this section,author tells about significance of different dates which Hindu people observe during whole year like significane of makar sankranti,significane of akshay tritiya etc.

3.Rituals:Pujas and Ya/>Rituals:Pujassankranti,significane/>Important/>Gods,Goddess
Tushar
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know why we do certain rituals, rites then you should read this book. There are six sections in the book.

1.Gods, Goddess and Nature

In this section, the author tells about certain rituals we do while puja like what is the significance of offering different flowers to our deities, etc.

2.Important Hindu Dates

In this section, the author tells about the significance of different dates which Hindu people observe during a whole year like th
Thangaraj Kannan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent book for starters who wanted to "the why" behind the rituals that Hindus follow.
Though in some parts, it doesn't gives a solid foundation on why it is followed or what's the history behind it, that was a bit disappointing about the book.
Apart from this, there are my other rituals that are followed in Hindus lifestyle everyday.
Krishnan Rgp
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Book does cover most of the common rituals. Some have been explored in detail whilst chunk has been elaborated very sketchy. Nonetheless, is a good start for any person willing to understand why we are practicing some rites and rituals.
Saloni Chaudhary
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before reading this book, I knew practically nothing about Hinduism. Just the common things we have grown up watching and doing at home during festivals. This was such an eye opener! Its disheartening nobody told me the scientific reasons for most of the rituals we perform.
I believe in energies, and it's crazy how most of the explanations are based on different forms of energies. I'm definitely going to explore some more books on Hinduism.
Ashish Tyagi
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book seems to be utterly irresponsible and without any sort of research. Even a child could have written a better book just with the help of google. I don't usually write reviews here but this experience is totally underwhelming.
I thought this book will give me a scientific reasoning behind Hindu rituals but this book has nothing to do with it.
just some vague ideas scattered incoherently
Kaitlyn
Jul 29, 2019
Rajib Borah
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2017
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Aug 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Devil in Jerusalem
  • The Widows of Malabar Hill (Perveen Mistry, #1)
  • The Challenges of Governance in a Complex World
  • Waiting for the Last Bus: Reflections on Life and Death
  • Tim Cook: The Genius Who Took Apple to the Next Level
  • Life After Life: The Investigation of a Phenomenon - Survival of Bodily Death
  • A Woman of Firsts: The midwife who built a hospital and changed the world - BBC Radio 4 Book of the Week
  • 嫌われる勇気
  • Syria's Secret Library: Reading and Redemption in a Town Under Siege
  • Legacy: Letters from Eminent Parents to Their Daughters
  • Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service
  • Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder
  • Biased
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • This Is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today
  • The Good Earth
  • Tell Me Your Dreams
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
“Each of these rivers is associated with a particular divine force. The Ganga is associated with Shiva, Godavari with Rama, Yamuna with Krishna, Sindhu with Hanuman, Saraswati with Ganesha, Kaveri with Dattatreya and Narmada with Durga.” 1 likes