Start by marking “The Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls, #1)

The Shipyard Girls

(Shipyard Girls #1)

Sunderland, 1940, and the women go to the shipyards to do their bit for the war effort.>p>Polly never dreamed she would be able to work in the shipyards like the men in her family but times are tough and her new job ends up giving her more than she ever expected when she meets enigmatic dock diver Tommy Watts.

During the day, head welder Rosie teaches her fledgling

Published September 22nd 2016 by Random House UK

To ask other readers questions about The Shipyard Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shipyard Girls

Start your review of The Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls, #1)
Amanda
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review to follow but this is a cracking saga set in the North East of England during World War 2. I LOVED it and became totally immersed and involved in the story. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Daphne
With a long TBR on here that I started in 2014, it's rare for me to pick up a random book I had never heard of before. But that's exactly what I did with this book when I went to the library last week, and I'm glad I did!

The Shipyard Girls really pulled me in. It's a story about a few different women in England during WWII, who start working in the shipyards while many men are off at war. Each of the women in the little group have their own problems, and the book focuses on each of them. I
Kristina
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Shipyard Girls by Nancy Revell is starts in August 1940 and England is at war. Rosie Thornton is the head welder at J.L. Thompson & Sons in the shipyards in Sunderland, and she will be getting some new recruits to train. Polly Elliot, Hannah, Gloria, Dorothy Williams, Martha Perkins and Mary are the new hires. Rosie sizes them up and figures one of them will not last the week (it turns out to be Mary). Welding is a tough job, but the women are up to the job. Rosie works hard at the ...more
Kim
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, n
I’ve just noticed that I hadn’t added my review for the first book in this lovely series about a group of women who work on the shipyards during the war.
It’s a great book full of friendship, the war effort and romance and family relationships.
Rosie, the head welder is given a bunch of new girls to train and we get to know them all.
A lovely writing style that has you quickly engaging with the characters and set during one of my favourite eras for a series.

Kellie
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2017-reads
One of the books I've actually enjoyed reading in the last few weeks. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel is the first in the Shipyard Girls series and has been sat on my tbr pile for quite some time. I am a huge fan of the saga genre but have been super busy lately with crime fiction reviews. I decided it was time for a visit to 1940 Sunderland and see what these books are all about.

The novel opens in the warm and homely house of Polly. Her mother, Agnes lost her husband in The Great War and has raised her children (now adults) alone. She is the matriarch type character, but it is born
Sheila
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's 1941 and England is at war. Polly has been working at a little seaside café but business is slow and she knows she must find work elsewhere. Her two elder twin brothers, Teddy and Joe are in Egypt fighting for Britain while Teddy's wife, Bel is living with Polly and her mother, Agnes. Lucille, is the little baby belonging to Bel and Teddy and is loved dearly by Polly. Bel is working as a conductor on the buses while Agnes looks after Lucille during the day. Polly decides to apply for a job ...more
Reeds
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a “shipyard during WWII connection” so I really wanted to like this book. However, I have to force myself to read a little bit more to get through it each time I pick it up.
One of the main girls is working on ship building during the day, and prostituting herself in the evenings in a brothel, to take care of her sister. She says she’s not proud of it, but she does make sex jokes with the madam.
Men’s lewd treatment and thinking of women in the street is described.
I’m only 29% done with
Fi
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pleasant enough read (I'll certainly be looking out for subsequent books in the series), & very interesting to learn something about what goes/went on in a shipyard.
I'm probably nitpicking here, but, whilst too much regional dialect can sometimes disrupt the flow of reading, in this case I feel there was too little - just occasionally somebody called another 'Pet', but otherwise nothing to suggest that events were taking place in the North-East of England; in my opinion either the
Marlene  Moore
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Great Book

I was drawn into the lives of each character right from the start. This book gives an interesting and gritty look at the life of the women who went into the ship yards and picked up the torch for the men who went to war. It also gave a true to life look at how these women coped with their men being gone for so long and very sporadic communication. I'm ready for the next book in this series!
Dani
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It tells the story of six women who start work as welders at a shipbuilders in Sunderland during the Second World War, and how their friendship builds. We get to know and care for these characters, and live through their home and love lives with them. Will Polly find happiness with Tommy? Will Gloria escape her home life? Will Rosie's secret second job be revealed? I grew to love these characters and really look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Christine Hope
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous insight into the hard work and struggles that these women suffered during the war.

I will be going straight on to read the next book in this series. The writer brings the story to life so well that you feel as if you actually know the characters. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes to escape into a good book.
MRS CHRISTINE  SITTON
Girl power!

A really fascinating story of which I knew nothing about. The determination of a group of women to support the war effort was brilliant. Felt as if you knew all the characters with lives ups and downs. Have loaded my kindle with all the series and can't wait to start on the second.
Jessica Parry
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy books that cover life during WW2 and this was a different interesting story for me about the part women played in the shipyards. A very good read about life for 3 women in particular and how they coped with all the various aspects of their lives at this difficult time. There are also 2 more in the series and enjoyed them all
Maria K. Russell
Enjoyed it!

I purchased this book by accident while clicking in and out of various suggested reads. I am glad I did for it was great lunchtime reading. I was drawn in by the storyline of friendship and family woven throughout the book.
mr m t coughlin
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book brought home to me memories of my mum working in Clark's canteen where she met my dad who dealt with the barrage balloons and smoke machines. My mum also worked as a painter while pregnant with me. Can't wait to read your next book
c m bolton
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

WOW what those women and men went through is unbelievable. It's great to read all about it and with your beautifully written work enter another world. Please keep writing. Your words bring these women to life.
lorraine squires
Absolutely brilliant book can’t wait to start on the next one.

This book was really true to history but had twists and turns all the way through. Fantastic reading. Would definitely recommend.
Candice
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dnf.. maybe it was just how I was feeling at the time, but this felt like a storyline I had read too many times before, and I just could not be bothered.
Carolyn Fitzmaurice
I actually read the first and second books in the wrong order but it was good to find out the background to the girls referred to in the second book. An enjoyable read.
Julie
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book can’t wait to read the next instalment.
Steven Bell
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More romance than historical fiction, still enjoyed it as I live in the area right next to the beach. Made you think his life was like in Sunderland during the war but overall a great read.
Malky
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-loans
Worst book I've actually finished. Just woeful.
MS Julie Don
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The shipyard girls

Very enjoyable book . Looking forward to the next one . If you enjoy reading Katie Flynn books , Ellie Dean or such authors then you will enjoy this author.
J.J. JOHNSTONE
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This is my first book by this author and I found it. Very good. Looking forward to reading part two.
Heather
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book it is riveting
Psammead
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a good story. Certainly gives a good in sight into woman working in a shipyard during the war. Otherwise a regular love story as the men go off to fight over seas.
terry black
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read ,couldn't put it down .
Suzanne
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This first book was the first in what looks like to be a awesome series. I loved the characters and love reading about what they do and their
Struggle during the war.
Trudie
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this, looking forward to the sequel

• Christmas with the Bomb Girls (The Bomb Girls #3)
  • As the Sun Breaks Through (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #15)
  • Ambulance Girls (Ambulance Girls #1)
  • On a Turning Tide (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #16)
  • With Hope and Love (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #17)
  • The Bomb Girls’ Secrets (The Bomb Girls #2)
  • The Waterway Girls (The Waterway Girls #1)
  • Wartime for the District Nurses (The District Nurse #2)
  • Always in my Heart (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #5)
  • Keep Smiling Through (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #3)
  • The District Nurses of Victory Walk (The District Nurse, #1)
  • Secrets of the Homefront Girls (Homefront Girls #1)
  • The Women of Mulberry Lane (Mulberry Lane #5)
  • Sweet Memories of You (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #10)
  • While We're Apart (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #8)
  • Some Lucky Day (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #7)
  • The Bluebird Girls (The Bluebird Girls #1)
  • The Bomb Girls (The Bomb Girls #1)
Nancy Revell is the pseudonym of Amanda Revell Walton a writer and journalist that has worked for all the national newspapers, providing them with hard-hitting news stories and in-depth features. She has also worked for just about every woman's magazine in the country, writing amazing and inspirational true life stories. Nancy has recently relocated back to her home town of Sunderland, Tyne and ...more

Shipyard Girls (8 books)
  • Shipyard Girls at War (Shipyard Girls, #2)
  • Secrets of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls, #3)
  • Shipyard Girls in Love (Shipyard Girls #4)
  • Victory for the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #5)
  • Courage of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #6)
  • Christmas with the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #7)
  • Triumph of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #8)