Start by marking “Stormy Cove” as Want to Read:
Stormy Cove

Stormy Cove

As a globe-trotting freelance photographer based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Lori Finning has seen just about everything. But when she lands an assignment on the barren, snow-swept island of Newfoundland, she finds herself in harsh and unfamiliar territory.

During the long, dreary winters in the isolated fishing community of Stormy Cove, gossiping is the pri
Published May 24th 2016 by Amazon Crossing (first published July 21st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Stormy Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormy Cove

Diana
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Lori is a photographer who is on assignment in a tiny fishing community. Stormy Cove is a somewhat isolated village in Newfoundland where life is different from what Lori is used to. As she begins to meet and work with the locals, she learns about an unsolved crime from many years ago. After this as well as some other discoveries, she begins to view some of the locals in a different light. Lori is not sure who she can and can’t trust.

When I read a book like this, I often wonder how m
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book but my computer was hacked so I can't do a decent review as I am too stressed out!
Recommended for everyone.
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I LOVED this book. The writing style, the characters, the unsolved mysteries, the budding romance, there was just something about this book. I felt like I was right beside Lori as she photographed Newfoundland (minus the very cold weather). Lori, a photographer fond of berets, is spending a year in a remote fishing village in Newfoundland. She's being commissioned to take photos for a coffee table book. Stormy Cove is completely different than her life in Vancouver. The general store doesn't eve ...more
Monica
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The setting of this novel is spellbinding. It takes places in a small fishing village in Newfoundland. I felt like I was actually there based on the author's description. The story is essentially a mystery but there are actually several mysteries going on.

Lori is the main character. She is from Vancouver and has been placed on assignment to take photographs for a coffee table book of this small town, Stormy Cove. However it turns out that this is not the real reason for her being there.

What I
i.
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
My first thought when I started this book and saw the long list of characters was a pleasant one, it reminded me of the novels by Agatha Christie.

The authors likes reading mystery novels and "sees her books as tales of adventure in which the characters, while perhaps searching for a murderer or love, become involved in the kinds of action that she would like to experience herself." Indeed,when I was reading this appealing story I felt like going to Newfoundland, find a little v
Chastity
Translated well, and very suspenseful

Very suspenseful and exciting. Was translated very well, better than most. I really enjoyed " Stormy Cove" and recommend it to everyone
Kerrie
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
An intriguing and rather complicated plot with lots of plot lines. Lori Finning's assignment to create a coffee table record of life in a remote Canadian fishing village turns into a murder mystery and an investigation of missing women. Rather inevitably it also has a romance strand, and also some danger to Lori herself.

Nicole Zanzarella does a good job with the narration, producing a number of voices to differentiate different characters.

The author also uses not only fir
Beth
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bernadette Calonego has written the perfect combination of a mystery and romance in Stormy Cove. The main character is Lori Fenning a free-lance photographer from Vancouver who is hired by a mysterious publisher to take photos for what will become a coffee table book about Newfoundland’s fishermen. She is to document their harsh and dangerous daily lives and the stark beauty of the surrounding area. Lori is sent to the tiny fishing of Stormy Cove. She quickly becomes part of this close-knit com ...more
Maggie
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lori, a photographer, goes to stay in a remote Newfoundland fishing village in order to produce material for a coffee table book about vanishing communities.

She finds a close community hiding secrets. What happened to the woman who used to live in the house she is renting? What happened to another missing person?

I loved the way the author captures the beauty of the landscape and the atmosphere of the community. All in all a satisfying read.

Thanks to Netgalley
Nanci
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
The story was a bit hard to follow with so many characters. It did help that there was a list of them in the front and I used it often. I enjoyed that's the story was set in Newfoundland, as that's an area we'd like to visit one day, but I thought it could have been told in 100 less pages. 3 stars
John Andrew
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I came across this story's synopsis, I knew I just had to read the novel - and I am so glad I did! I fell in love with the description of outport life and the author's obvious love for the natural beauty of the environment and her respect for the hardships and realities of life in a part of North America that's unlike any other on the continent. And the people - the colourful people! Having lived in St. John's, Newfoundland for six years (almost 20 years ago), I’d briefly worked near a smal ...more
Max
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: newfoundland
Stormy Cove is an unusual book. Originally self-published in German by a Swiss writer, it explores the secrets of a small town on the Northern Peninsula in Newfoundland. It seems to be based on the author's experiences as an outsider, living in such a community, and while many details ring true, some things are lost in the translations, particularly the dialog.
I can only guess how Newfoundland English would be rendered in German, particularly by someone who may not have a complete grasp o
Tamara
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling Story

This story touches on many of the idorciracies that happen in a small town or remote cluster of people. Family secrets behind closed doors that come out and affect other people around them. Secrets and misstepped choices cause people to either fess up to their errors or make more to bury them. This book touched on that and how the outsider felt that uncovering the secrets would free the kind man who helped her from the beginning of her entry into the little remote town.

The o
Carol Ann
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It reads fast and the story progresses at a nice pace. Bernadette Colonego writes beautifully and her descriptions of the landscape, the town, and the townspeople made me feel like I was actually there. I loved the small town setting where everyone knows each other, no one locks their doors, their lifestyles mirror the harshness and beauty of their environment, they gossip about each other and yet for the most part, support and love each other, too. I enjoyed the bit of roma ...more
Sue Kozlowski
I read this book as part of my quest to read a book written by an author from each of the 169 countries of the world. This author was born and raised in a German-speaking part of Switzerland. The book takes place on a remote area of New Foundland, Canada so the story doesn't really relect the author's Swiss background!

This story is about a Vancouver photographer Lori, who temporarily moves to New Foundland for an assignment. She immediately becomes enmeshed in the community where 'ev
Sandra Farrar
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Facinating

The story centers around a small fishing village in Newfoundland and it's people with their traditions and lifestyle. Murder, mystery, mayhem and secrets abound within this particular quaint little village as well as a touch of romance here and there. Frankly, I couldn't put this book down not did I want to. I highly recommend it if you are interested in reading a good mystery.
Thomas G. Peterson
A Newfi tale

A mystery set in a very unusual setting. If you are interested in the Newfoundland area this is for you.
The mystery set in this unusual setting makes the book intriguing.
I think the book is also in good taste as the lack of descriptive sex to enhance the story was refreshing.
M.A. Wilson
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this mystery set in Newfoundland by Bernadette Colonego. The story was gripping and kept me in suspense through to the end. But the best part was the description of life in a Newfoundland outport, with all its quirks. The author lives in Newfoundland part time, and I’m sure the details that she provides are true to life. A very enjoyable read.
LINDA POISSON
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than I thought

I liked the book first paragraph out. The small little books like this one usually bore me, but this one kept me interested enough to finish it. Love ,murder and fun all in one
Chris Foley
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book! Even though I kept hoping it would end the way it did, you were just never quite sure. I like be to travel & this book made me feel like I could actually see the beautiful scenery and town.
C.E. DeJoria
Meet the characters in a small fishing village

I enjoyed the book, thought it well written and liked the mystery elements. However, my favorite part was the picture of life in a small isolated fishing village in Newfoundland.
Sarah Austin
I really love it when I'm surprised. Stormy Cove is a murder mystery and gentle love story all rolled into one and its the first suspense that I've read in a while where you couldnt guess where it was going until the last page. So glad I gave it a chance and read it.
Anitajt
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I found the story too slow, very descriptive but oh so slow......
Marsha
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fairly good. Climax was a little bit anti-climactic but I will read more from this author.
Karen
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Loved the setting, but found this book dragged a bit in the second half. Overall good story and my rating is 3.5.
Shyrea
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable book. Some twists and turns that I did not see coming.
Norma
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just sat up half the night reading this. Was totally involved in the story.
KDawn
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good mystery, but the story seemed to jump all over the place. But, I liked the characters and tons of history about the area, which was very interesting.
Connie Beggs
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

I really enjoyed this book, it was intriguing to follow the story plot. Look forward to more stories by this authot
Rosita Sanchez
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Good Book I Hope Will ...

Have a sequel because it was so good! I fell in love with the way this story unfolds. This author has a wonderful way of spinning a story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Thou Torturest Me
  • The 7th Day
  • The NYPD Tapes: A Shocking Story of Cops, Cover-ups, and Courage
  • Good for Nothing
  • Don't Be a Wimp Raise a Strong Leader: Parenting Strategies from Conception to Late Adulthood
I was born and raised in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, on Lake Lucerne, a very picturesque area with mountains and lakes. I grew up in a house full of book lovers. As a child, I sneaked in my brothers` rooms to read their adventure books like "Ivanhoe", "The Leatherstocking Tales", "Treasure Island", "Robinson Crusoe", "Huckleberry Finn". Or I persuaded my mother that I was old enough t ...more
“laughed. “No, no, it says you took pictures of Justin Timberlake” 0 likes