Start by marking “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” as Want to Read:
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  21,827 ratings  ·  625 reviews
Published August 4th 2003 by Vanguard Press (first published December 21st 1937)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
Alejandro
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, short-story
Here, started it everything!

A DATE AT MULBERRY STREET FOR IMMORTALITY

That can’t be my story. That’s only a start.

I’ll say that a ZEBRA was pulling that cart.

This is the very first story by Dr. Seuss, here, started it all.

And since this beginning, you can appreciate the distinctive style of Dr. Seuss.

A kid is walking to his home, and he’s thinking what “event” will talk about with his dad that he “saw” in Mulberry Street (the route to his home). And obviously, never is too good, n
Archit Ojha
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks

Reading this in my kid voice, I rediscovered the joys of fabricating the reality as a child. The way a child sees the world and interlaces with it his dreamy imaginations.

As an adult, you know the difference between reality and fantasy but as a child it is all one fabric.

Gives you an idea how we all used to blow up the realities when reciting a true event.

I couldn't fully explain,
Things were not so plain.

How one thing led to another.
How the giraffe became my friend's brother.
[Shai] Bibliophage
How a plain horse and wagon on Mulberry Street
Grows into a story that no one can beat

I love that ending part of the story and I've just learnt that this is the very first children's book of Dr. Seuss. We know that children have a creative imagination and I guess that this book set as a reminder also for adults, such as parents and teachers, to let kids enhance that skill.

Fergus
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kids have the most OUTLANDISH imaginations.

Imagine that ability quadrupled in the child with undiagnosed Asperger’s Disorder, like me, and you have some idea of the hold of that trait on my febrile brain.

My grade school teachers used to give us kids creative writing assignments...

My productions were frantically incantory of bizarre and distant mythical events, transmogrified by my rebellious line drawings.

There was a little girl named Sue who attended our class, a distant (socially as well as
Lee Thompson
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We got this from the library for 3 year old Rae. She loved it. She asked if all children have their imaginations strangled by adults like the kid in this book.
Andrea Cox
Such a cute story about a wild imagination.
Ronyell
Mulberry

I have been reading Dr. Seuss’s works ever since I was a child (it is pretty much a requirement as a child to read a Dr. Seuss book). So of course, I still have not read all of Dr. Seuss’s works and one of the books that I had owned ever since I was little, but I never really read was “And to Think that I Saw it On Mulberry Street!” I only picked up this book after all of these years when some of my Goodreads friends had recommended it to me and I must say that it was quite a decent
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-20th-c, kids
Marvin spins a wonderful tale for his dad when he gets home from school turning minnows into whales. I remember the pictures from when I was a kid and now can appreciate the way the story encourages imagination – even if the dad is kind of a wet blanket at the end.
Kathryn
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Seuss's first published children's book was certainly groundbreaking for its time. It was, indeed, rejected 27 times before Seuss had a chance encounter with an friend-turned-editor whom he bumped into while walking in New York City one day (see, awesome things do happen on average streets every day!) The editor took a chance on the young author/illustrator and the rest, as they say, is history.

I don't remember reading it as a kid, whether because I was not exposed to it or it simply wasn't
Mariah Roze
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book to my students and they really enjoyed it! I had never even heard of this Dr. Seuss book before.

"A plain horse and wagon on Mulberry Street grows into a story that no one can beat! In this tale, Young Marco allows his imagination to run riot as he travels home from school one day, to the extent that a horse and cart is soon transformed into a chaotic carnival of colourful creatures in his own mind."
ivana18
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
A very short and very sweet children's book. A beautiful tale about one boy's (vivid) imagination. This is my first Dr. Seuss and I'll read more of his creations, I have much respect for children's authors, while it might seem easy to write children's books, I'm sure it's more difficult than it looks. This is simply lovely....I had a smile plastered on my face all the way trough.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic story about a child allowed to run free with his imagination. The very first Dr. Seuss book definitely tells you of the things to come.
Rupert Dreyfus
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
We learn at the beginning of the story that a child called Marco has a vibrant imagination. This vibrant imagination, however, tends to annoy his father who wants him to observe what he really sees on his journey to school and back.

It turns out that on this journey Marco only sees a horse and wagon. He then wonders how he can make this mundane observation more interesting and begins a sequence of modifications of the spectacle until Mulberry Street is bursting with a spectacular and unusual par
Shanna Gonzalez
This is the first of Dr. Seuss's books for children, and it is a good introduction to the imaginative creativity which opened his career as an enormously popular children's writer. In this story a young boy walking home from school, and on seeing a simple horse and cart, embellishes it in his mind by first changing the animal, then the conveyance, then adds passengers, and so on, until the horse and cart are transformed into a veritable parade. This is a quite enjoyable flight of imagination.

Unf
Dolly
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Imaginative story that also speaks about telling the truth. It has the classic rhythmic, rhyming narrative and fantastical, cartoonish illustrations that we've come to expect from books by Dr. Seuss. I know that I've read this at least a couple of times.

This book was featured as one of the selections for the March 2015 Dr. Seuss reads for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Soplada
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This children story handles one of the most children psychological issue it is : confidence and how parents can switch it on or off.
how come that it is for both children and adults ?

PDF link for the Goodreaders :
Melissa
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
So apparently this was the very first Suess book. Published nearly 80 years ago it is a classic indeed. I had never heard of this book before. My stepdaughter was cleaning out her room at her mother's house and brought my son a giraffe that she was given at Easter. Apparently, that giraffe had to do with this book so my son wanted me to read the book to him.

Normally, right here I would give a synopsis of the book but there is a more pressing issue I have to get into. So the copy I read to my son
McLean
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reading this, it's pretty obvious that it's from before Seuss had really polished his style. The usually flawless rhythm is occasionally spotty, and there's not the same level of giddy inventiveness present in so many of his other books. At the same time, this book was written before Seuss had moved into using purely anapestic tetrameter, which makes for some interesting variety of sound. While in some of his later works he would begin to break from the anapestic tetrameter model in very methodi ...more
Navaneeta
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav, children
This story explains everything about how we transcend the ordinary in our day-to-day living, letting our imagination take us to a world of wish fulfillment. How we transform the dreariness of a Mulberry street of life where "nothing ever happens" into an exciting world full of indian rajahs and chinese chopsticks, a confetti throwing airplane and a trailer pulled by an elephant!

And the most cruel part of the story is also what makes it so real... Marco's telling his father with a red face that i
Gerry
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a walk home from school Marco sees a horse and cart in Mulberry Street. Wanting to tell his Dad something exciting, he imagines what it could turn out to be.

His imagination runs riot and from a simple horse and cart, it metarmorphoses into a cart pulled by a zebra, then a chariot pulled by a zebra before we have a reindeer pulling a sledge, an elephant pulling a brass band and other incarnations before Sergeant Mulvaney escorts the whole shebang down Mulberry Street.

Obviously it all happens o
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marco sees the Most Interesting things on his way to school.

I thought this was a cute book, it had a simple beginning, leaving you wondering where Dr. Seuss was going, but once you figured it out you only had to turn the page to see what he would cook up next, something that would be sure to make you smile. A crazy little book that is fun to read.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Mary Good
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-stories, 22, 23
I was having a bad hour and then this tiny picture book totally allayed all.

It totally took me back to my childhood where when telling events of stuff my siblings or parents had missed, I'd totally exaggerate them to make them better and less dull.
Granted I had a better ability to go for it than our little guy here.
I wouldn't call it lying, I'd call it acting.

My first Dr. Seuss and I'm not disappointed, nor am I ashamed to add such tiny page count to my list.
Andd Becker
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The grinning giraffes are a harbinger
Of Seussian animals to come.
The elephant looks like Horton
And is the happy one
Leading the parade, with those angel-wing ears
Prominently on display.
Dr. Seuss reveals, in his inimitable way,
In this, his first children's book,
The brilliant alignment of artwork and text.
The reader wonders what book will be next.

Andd Becker
Courtney Kleefeld
I really enjoyed this book - it's the very first children's book Dr. Seuss published - and it does make one think! I'd recommend it to all my story-telling friends because it reminds me of how I'm always changing my story to try to make it better.
It also made me sad because it shows about how imagination is often discouraged.
Mike
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mike by: Shannon
Shelves: shorts, shannon
Chinamen who eat with sticks just can't be beat as they're marching and singing down Mulberry Street.
Rossy
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Such an imagination! Maybe I'd have liked it better if I had myself a little bit more of it, lol!
Sonia
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a story about a boy who uses his imagination on his way home. though it's sad he couldn't tell the tale to his father.
Mushfiq
An amazing book with so many life lessons. Dr. Seuss is just awesome with his writings & we must get our kids, read his books. ...more
Mya
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I used to live on Mulberry street Memories form back than
Melhara
Dr. Seuss's first children's book! And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street was a fun story about a boy who walks home and sees a horse pulling a wagon… or did he? He knows that when he gets home, his dad will ask him "what did you see?" So, he uses his imagination to turn the horse and wagon into something far more extravagant. He needed an interesting story to tell when he got home, and what an interesting story it'll be!

Interestingly enough, various publishers initially rejected this Dr
Author 9 4 Feb 29, 2016 11:30AM
Seuss Lovers: And to Think I saw it on Mulberry Street 1 0 Dec 06, 2012 06:30PM
MCC Children's Li...: Picture Book 2 1 Apr 17, 2012 09:45AM

• Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • A Fish Out of Water
  • Ten Apples Up On Top!
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Come Over to My House