Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 3
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 3 (Neon Genesis Evangelion #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  1,515 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In the year 2015, humanity faces terrifying last judgement by a mysterious race of giants, and a handful of teenagers must pilot the colossal superentities known as "evangelions" in the fight for survival. With Volume 3, this controversial science fiction series continues to push the limits of the genre.
Paperback, 168 pages
Published October 6th 1999 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 29th 1996)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 3

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Nərmin
I am surprised that it is easy and enjoyable read. I like how Shinji is trying to function normally with people and his inner struggles make him an interesting character. This volume focuses more on Shinji-Rei relationship, which is fine. However, I still need some explanations about "angels" , "evangelions", Shinji's father and Rei's past.
Gustavo
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga, seinen
Este es el primer gran tomo de esta serie. La relación entre Shinji y Rei es muy interesante. Resulta curioso que Shinji se sienta identificado de alguna forma con una persona que no conoce los sentimientos. Las intereacciones entre ellos son muy divertidas y finalmente Rei tiene un poco más de desarrollo como personaje más allá de "la rarita del aula".

El enfrentamiento con el 5to angel está muy bien, si bien realmente no hay mucha acción, está bueno como cada angel es distinto y requiere una es
...more
AGamarra
El tomo se dedica sobre todo a la relación naciente entre Shinji y Rei, la piloto del EVA 00 que nunca ríe, nunca se enoja, nunca se pone triste.
Misato parece ser la primera en darse cuenta que Shinji tiene un especial interés por Rei y le encomendará visitarla para darle un importante documento, lo que sucede luego es una de las escenas más raras de la serie.
Finalmente hay un poco de acción, aunque no tanta cuando tras un ataque demoledor del nuevo ángel, tanto Rei como Shinji deben actuar junt
...more
Saphirablue
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Ryan
May 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm starting to worry that this series is definitely going to fall into the category of "fails to live up to expectations" - it's still fun giant mecha splodo, but I'm not seeing much deeper than that. There's hints of more depth - the relationship between Shinji and his father, for example, and hints of a relationship between the EVAs and the Angels, but aside from that, nothing. To make a comics analogy, I think I was expecting Grant Morisson, but got Mark Waid instead.
Yukino
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2016, manga
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION n. 3

Ecco che finalmente Rei e Ikari parlano e iniziano a conoscersi.
Ammetto di aver versato una lacrimuccia alla fine.
E' davvero emozionanate questo manga. Molto introspettivo. Molto riflessivo, drammatico, ma anche divertente. I due compagni di classe mi fanno troppo ridere!
Datemi il prossimo volume ^^
Rachel
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
*3.5 stars*
Still nothing much to say lol, it's pretty much just reading the show, except we get a little more into Shinji's head which I enjoy. However I'm very excited because I believe Asuka (one of my favorites from the series) is introduced in the next volume!
Feather Mista
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quizás, mi tomo favorito de toda la serie. Supongo que una vez que esté terminada le tocará en algún momento una merecidísima releílda íntegra.
Christina
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, again, what can I really say about this manga? Nothing in here was anything I didn't already completely know about from the Rebuild movies and spoilers from my ex boyfriend. Yet, even though I already knew all of this, somehow, the manga is still really fun to read to pass time. Maybe it's because I miss Evangelion and the time in which I watched the movies, or maybe it's because they're just so well done and the manga takes a slightly different approach to the same story. All in all, I re ...more
Leonel García
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Por más que te entiendo mi mano, te desvaneces, tornas en brisa que acaricia mi espalda y quedan de ti tus fragmentos vagos de tu calor. No puedo tocarte, no puedo encontrarte. Aún así, en alguna parte, muy lejos, nuestros caminos se unen."

La relación entre Ikari Shinji e Ikari Gendo, hijo y padre, no avanza, pero Shinji, por lo menos, empieza acercarse a Ayanami. Y en esa relación parece que se vislumbra una posibilidad de vivir más allá pilotear los Eva.

Buen tomo, con drama y acción como los
...more
Vittorio Rainone
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nuovo scontro con gli angeli, mentre Shinji e Rei si conoscono e imparano i dettagli che gli uniscono, in primis una scarsa confidenza nella vita, e una fiducia in ben poche cose. Tutto questo dopo uno scontro durissimo che porta le unità zero-zero e zero-uno quasi a soccombere contro un nemico potentissimo. La storia è bella, fresca, con un ritmo invidiabile, i disegni non sono fantastici, ma si fanno vedere.
Miguel Lugo
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rei, uno de los personajes mas interesantes de la trama, un personaje que no demuestra si tiene debilidades o sentimientos pero como todos los seres humanos las tenemos ella tampoco se salva. Los vínculos que van creando Shinji y Rei son para llorar si mas adelante les llegase a suceder algo.
Paula
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
The Rei's oversexualization bothered me quite a lot, but, otherwise, this series continues picking up pace and I'm excited to see where it goes.
Eric
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A interesting deconstruction of the mecha genre. I quite enjoy the comics more than the show actually.
Charles
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Hikari
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zur Reihe: Der finale Band von Neon Genesis Evangelion (kurz EVA oder NGE) ist vor kurzem erschienen - daher entschloss ich mich, die komplette Reihe noch einmal zu lesen. Ich kenne die Reihe seit dem Jahr 2000 und bin ein großer Fan. Aber es hat über 15 Jahre (in Deutschland, in Japan waren es 19) gedauert, bis der Finale band erschienen ist. Die Reihe gehört zu meinen absoluten Lieblingen und ich hoffe, dass das Ende dem würdig ist. Und besser als die bisherigen vom Anime.

Zu Band 3: Was mir be
...more
Brian
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If Alan Moore's Watchmen is a 'classic' of the dark-fantasy comic genre, then NGE is a 'classic' of anime, and one with an incredibly loyal cult following. This, then, is the manga adaptation of one of that original contoversial, yet incredibly successful, anime.

I loved the anime series, although not a fanatical fan, as I thought both endings were EXTREMELY disappointing and actually detracted from the story. After reading this first 'book' I have to admit that I am impressed how well this adapt
...more
Jesus Flores
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Neon Genesis 3
This volume gives us more than just Shinji being emo, we get to see more of Ayanami, and a bit of past tests she did, so that’s a good thing, and although the general plot is still not clear beyond the robot fight monster, at least we are given another character to think about.
Now the “angel” this volume was more like a cube machine than a monster thing, but actually posed a bigger threat to Nerv.

3 stars

Complaint, I know most manga has this kind of fan-service, senseless unnecessar
...more
Alexander Case
This volume of the manga adapts the Operation Yashima plotline, which I'd also describe as the "First Rei Arc." It gives the reader a baseline for who Rei is currently, so her character can develop and change over future volumes.

The story in this volume is missing some of the light humor that the anime version of this arc has (with Rei being the ultimate straight woman - particularly when Rei comes to give Shinji the briefing on Operation Yashima while he's in the hospital).

Sadamoto's art is exc
...more
Scott Lee
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well that seals it. I'll finish the series. Now I've just got to find it somewhere--the library here only has Darkhorses's wannabe follow ups. Not the original But i think I know where to get it.

This seems like the end of the first arc. Nice resolution for serial storytelling. Sadamoto does a great job with this, visually and in his scripting. A nice twist on the relationships between the characters and some nice hints at where the plot is going--always essential in a serial medium. A fun volum
...more
Théo
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the volume I reached the first time I tried to read this series (the local library only has the three first volumes of it and it didn't interest me enough back then to look for the rest of it on the Internet).

I do feel like I did enjoy it more this time, and I do consider pursuing reading this (I think the library in my new town has the complete series, but if they don't I do consider reading it online).
Francesco
Vote: 3,50
Class: L-B1 (FP)

(a 14 volumes Manga with a sci-fi story)

Much the same of what I wrote for the first volume.
The story goes on: nothing really impressing but quick and easy to read and really, really enjoyable.
I'm following up with this series.
Annie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Me sorprende que en el manga Shinji no sea tan odioso, es igual de débil y llorón pero se comprenden mejor sus motivaciones, en cuanto a la relación que se esta comenzando a entablar con Rei debo decir que me encanta, amo que la Rei del manga es más profunda y se comprende mejor por que es tan apática. Un muy buen tomo <3
Ere K.
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-seinen
Cominciamo a ragionare. A parte l'assenza di alcuni elementi che davano molto più carattere all'anime e che si sono persi in questa versione, devo riconoscere che il volume si fa leggere meglio dei precedenti.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Apr 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I could've done without the idiotic nudity. REally? stupid.
Ruben
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Mariana
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 estrellas
Necesito maratonearme este manga y no tengo tiempo D:
Jon
Sep 30, 2011 added it
not bad, getting a bit more interesting. Action still seems difficult to follow at time
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 03: Killing Angel
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days Volume 3
  • X/1999, Volume 07: Rhapsody
  • Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet, Vol. 03
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project Volume 1
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 3: To Sprout
164714
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is a Japanese character designer, mangaka, and one of the founding members of the Gainax anime studio.

Also the character designer for the .hack//Games and the Package designer for the .hack//GU games.
More about Yoshiyuki Sadamoto...

Other Books in the Series

Neon Genesis Evangelion (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 2
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 4
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 5
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 6
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 7
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 8
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 9
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 10
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 11

Share This Book