Start by marking “Man the Hunted: Primates, Predators, and Human Evolution, Expanded Edition” as Want to Read:
Man the Hunted: Primates, Predators, and Human Evolution, Expanded Edition

Man the Hunted: Primates, Predators, and Human Evolution, Expanded Edition

Man the Hunted argues that primates, including the earliest members of the human family, have evolved as the prey of any number of predators, including wild cats and dogs, hyenas, snakes, crocodiles, and even birds. The authors’ studies of predators on monkeys and apes are supplemented here with the observations of naturalists in the field and revealing interpretations of ...more
Paperback, 2nd edition, 376 pages
Published July 29th 2008 by Westview Press (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Man the Hunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man the Hunted

Start your review of Man the Hunted: Primates, Predators, and Human Evolution, Expanded Edition
Mark
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with an interest in human origins
This book uses the fossil record and modern day predation on primates, including humans, to argue that man as prey rather man as predator drove human evolution. Convincing arguments and much more exciting than your average anthropology book.
Richard Reese
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Not long ago, I came across a book that looked interesting, Man the Hunted: Primates, Predators, and Human Evolution, written by two anthropologists, Donna Hart and Robert Sussman. Almost half of the book discussed the many varieties of man-eating predators who for millions of years have enjoyed transforming our delicious ancestors into steaming feces. Would it shed light on the drastic reduction in man-eating predators? Would it explain why we plunged into our disastrous experiment with tool ma ...more
Angelique Simonsen
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
it is really rare that I find a non fiction book that I can read cover to cover easily. This is written so well and the theories are well presented and easy to understand. It may be because this whole topic fascinates me though.
Elentarri
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Man the Hunted is an anthropology book written in a plain and easy to read manner. The authors make use of the fossil record and studies on modern day primate predation on primates (including humans), to argue that man as prey rather man as predator drove human evolution. The majority of the book takes a look at the variety of past and present predators that ate/eat primates, including large cats, wolves, hyenas, raptors, snakes, crocodiles etc. An interesting and informative read.

Martin Lowery
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting theory put forth by the authors that contrary to the commonly envisioned image of early humans being hunters they argue early humans as being prey to larger predators.

By analyzing modern primates and contrasting the archaeological findings of past primates, the authors attempt to show how many modern human behaviors developed from a prey-predator relationship. From bipedalism, to language, the authors describe how such behaviors sprang from a defensive nature rather than one of viol
Alexios  Xifaras
Winner of the 2006 W.W. Howells Book Award. And it was, absolutely, worth it. Donna Hart and Robert Sussman have produced a classic study that destroys the "Man the Hunted" theory, which originated by the "killer ape hypothesis" of Raymond Dart and then dominated the academic community through the Wenner-Gren symposium ‘Man the hunter’. Half of the "Man the Hunted" book describes the various predators early humans had to face. The rest of the book deals with the humans' evolution and origin. Why ...more
Isaac Panaretos
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book on human evolution; discussing where and how our our mythical ideas arose that early hominids were hunters. It provides a convincing argument based on modern science that we were in fact preyed upon by large and fierce animals and that it has only been very recently (in context with the 7 million year time span covered), that we have considered ourselves the dominant species of the planet. There are some sick stories of raptors too!
Nathan
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An alternate view of human evolution and predation that is not as groundbreaking as the author makes it out to be. Breezy narration and well-organized facts notwithstanding, this book would have been better - and just as convincing - at half the length.
JJ
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
We were not the apex predator during our evolution. We were tasty snacks, not fit to be called a meal. Great book and insight. Easy to read. It is a bit on the verbose side, but forgivably so. If you are interested in how we became to be what we are today please include this book in your studies.
Justin
Patrick
Mar 16, 2011
Thiên Kim
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great read that offers another insight on the role our ancestors played in the prehistoric world among other species. The narration is sometimes a bit too sassy for my taste but the numerous amounts of evidence as well as supplementary information on research methods used makes it easy for general readers to understand.
Samm
rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2014
Aske Tange
Jun 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Popular Front in France: Defending Democracy, 1934-38
  • The Edge of Memory: Ancient Stories, Oral Tradition and the Post-Glacial World
  • Eaters of the Dead
  • The Magicians: Alice's Story
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • Sweden’s Dark Soul: The Unravelling of a Utopia
  • The Prince
  • The Neanderthals Rediscovered: How Modern Science is Rewriting Their Story
  • Notre-Dame
  • The Mythical Zoo: Animals in Myth, Legend, and Literature
  • Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind
  • Baby Care Anywhere: A Quick Guide to Parenting On the Go
  • Sharpe's Rifles (Sharpe, #6)
  • I, Ripper