Start by marking “The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home

The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home

(The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) #2)

The second collection of the best-selling comic-book series, inspired by Stephen King's epic The Dark Tower! Gunslinger Roland Deschain has seen the death of his lover Susan Delgado. And the Big Coffin Hunters who burned her at the stake are now in pursuit of Roland and his ka-tet Cuthbert and Alain. The friends are forced to flee into the desert with the deadly posse in h ...more
Published October 15th 2008 by Marvel (first published October 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Tower

Matthew
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower, Stephen King, Fantasy fans
“Don’t forget the face of your father”

I loved the Dark Tower books. This graphic novel series is, so far, doing it great justice! The story, the writing, the artwork – all of it is amazing!

I am loving how this series is filling in some of the gaps from the story before the books. But, at the same time it is obvious that the writers did their research as there are shades of the origin material throughout.

The art in this book is spoiling me. It is slightly impressionistic, but very specific and h
Char
The second volume of The Dark Tower graphic novel series is as visually stunning as the first, but I felt the story quality was slightly below that of the first volume.

Our boy Sheemie, after his transformation:

It's a real treat to see the artist's renderings of these characters, but it's even better to see the settings and the Crimson King. There is so much detail in the art, that I could gaze at these images for hours and never get bored.

Sheemie is a badass now:

Based on the two volumes I've r
Trudi
So this is the second collection in Marvel's graphic novel adaptation of King's Dark Tower series. While I LOVE reading about Roland again, and the art work is gorgeous, I'm deeply conflicted as well. There's something here that isn't quite working for me, that seems off. I think the problem is that I'm comparing it to the source material too much, when I should be enjoying the work as its own unique experience (like a film adaptation).

It's also very much focused on young Roland. And I guess th
TK421
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the second graphic novel to feature young Roland and his ka-tet, which I found to be not as good as the first one, THE GUNSLINGER BORN.

Allow me to elucidate. The story starts off strong, Roland peers into Maerlyn's Grapefruit, sees something he disagrees with and then shoots the pink orb. Bad move on Roland's part. The orb transmogrifies and becomes an eye with tentacles, sucking Roland's soul into its surreal End-World pit. Okay, this is all wicked. I hardly even took the time to really
Emma
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not so keen on this volume regarding the story but the art work is still terrific.
David Sven
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This continues directly on from the graphic novel The Dark Tower Volume 1 The Gunslinger Born. Roland and his Katet are pursued by the Big Coffin Hunters and their posse after destroying the oil fields that Farson wanted for his war.

In the main series, Wizard and Glass, Roland looks into the pink looking glass and is changed, but we don't really know exactly what he sees. Well, this fills that gap. We also get more of Sheemie's story and the role he plays while Roland's mind is imprisoned in the
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

I was killing some time at a Barnes & Nobles bookstore the other day and picked this graphic novel up. I’m a sucker for anything dealing with Roland the Gunslinger, especially back story regarding his younger years, so I figured this was a “can’t miss” for me. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

The story itself begins right after the death of Susan Delgado, as told so hauntingly by Roland the Gunslinger in “Wizard and Glass,” Dark Tower IV. Here, an emotiona
Becky
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dark Tower fans
I love the Dark Tower series - let me just say that up front. If you haven't read it, you should. When I haven't read it in a while, I miss the characters, I miss the journey, I miss Mid-world. It's King's magnum opus for a reason, and I cherish every word.

I was a bit disappointed with The Gunslinger Born, the first of the series of Dark Tower graphic novels, simply because I was looking for something to add to what we already knew of Roland's journey, and the first graphic novel didn't do that
Evan Leach
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel, 2000-2009
The first entry in this series took Stephen King’s Wizard and Glass and converted it to the graphic novel format. That was a huge success, and The Long Road Home takes the next step by carrying the Dark Tower story into unknown territory. Writer Robin Furth fills in the white space following Roland’s adventures in Mejis, inventing a new story about Roland and his Ka-Tet as they fight their way back home to Gilead. The gunslingers deal with external dangers, while Roland battles the internal demo ...more
Maria
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second volume of the Dark Tower graphic novel series focused on Roland, Alain, and Bert does not disappoint. This story picks up where we left off in the first novel.

What really made this one so amazing to me is that Roland (view spoiler)

The art is still fantastic and adds to my own imagination of certain charac
Kandice
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
2015- There is no denying the loveliness of the art work here, even the Criy, oh why did Lee decide to draw Susan as a 70's disco rollergirl? That small complaint aside, I feel these GNs really explain the orbs in a more elaborate way because of the visuals than the novels did.

2008-I'm not sure that the characters are depicted quite the way I pictured them in my mind, but they are very good renditions. Good enough not to detract from the story. I was a little put off by the speech patterns in t
Shannon
NOTE: the first part of this review is about the series, in general, and the last part covers this particular volume.

FROM MY REVIEW OF THE FIRST GRAPHIC NOVEL

I never got into the novel series but after reading this particular graphic novel I just might give it another try. This volume focuses on the Gunslinger before he became a legend in this post apocalyptic Spaghetti Western Fantasy tale. It covers the legends of his home realm life, how he earned his guns at an early age and his first missi
Nicholas Karpuk
This is the graphic novel I've been waiting for in regards to the Dark Tower series. It's the first book to delve into the events that happen between "Wizards and Glass" and "The Gunslinger" chronologically speaking.

The good news is that the dialogue is worlds improved in this installment. What amazed me about the first graphic novel was how ham-fisted King's folksy Mid-World dialogue sounded when it was left by itself in little bubbles. Now that Peter David is writing without the training wheel
Stephen
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A good but not great second installment of the Dark Tower graphic novel series that began with The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born, which I thought was superb. I was hoping for better in this installment as Peter David, who I like as a writer, finally got a chance to write new material into the Dark Tower story. While interesting, the story lacked the emotional resonance of the first installment. Overall, it was pretty good, just not quite good enough for me to rate higher.
Andrew
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
And so the sage continues - I will admit that the story kicks off right after the conclusion (and shocking that it was) first volume. Now I know that sounds obvious but I am still finding my feet with graphic novels especially ones which not only have a strong story arc but in fact rely on it.
The events portrayed in the book take part over a relatively short period of time - which suggests that unless this is a one off there will be plenty of action and plenty of material. The artwork as ever i
Nicolo Yu
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collected-comics
The thing with licensed comics was that most comic publishers tend to give it to their not quite A-List creators because they didn't want to pay premium money on talent especially if they've shelled out for the license. It wasn't the case here. Marvel put one of its best writers in Peter David and a magnificent art team in Jae Lee and Richard Isanove for the first two volumes of its The Dark Tower prequels.

I just finished the second volume and it made want to dig out my issues of the first arc s
Julio Bonilla
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
People come and go, but the journey never ends! That's what happens in the follow-up to The Dark Tower. Even a boy, Sheemie, (re)joins the team, after meeting a Frankenstein-like figure inside a lab. I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Todd
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
My oldest son, Lance, bought me these comics at a horror convention that he attended! I enjoyed this series very much and gave it 4 stars! Thanks for the comics son!
Jasper
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

Gunslinger Roland Deschain has seen the death of his lover Susan Delgado, and now the Big Coffin Hunters who burned her at the stake are in pursuit of Roland and his ka-tet Cuthbert and Alain. The friends are forced to flee into the desert with the deadly posse in hot pursuit - and Roland is in a coma!

The Long Road Home is the second comic book adapation in the graphic novels series and tell a never before told story. That of what hap
Chris
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am a huge fan of the Dark Tower series and when I came across the graphic novels I had to see what they were all about. I wanted to jump back on the path of the beam and revisit old friends. Well, I got my wish.

This book picks up right after the events of The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born, and we see what happens to Roland, Alain, and Cuthbert as they travel home. For those who have read the Dark Tower series we know some of the events that happen to Roland as he heads home, but t
C.W.
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, I was worried initially that these graphic novels would just be a condensed version of what happened in the books, but with pictures. Definitely not the case - this one showcased a story in Roland's past, immediately following the flashback events of Wizard and Glass, that was only ever hinted at in the books. Now we get to see it as it actually happened - I love it. It's new territory. Though I generally know the outcome, the story itself is fresh and exciting. After reading Wizard and Glas ...more
Dawn
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's hard for me to review graphic novels, but I'm committed to having a review for everything I read, so I'm at least going to try...

This was a nice and enjoyable entry into the series. Where as the first in the series stuck to the plot we already know from Wizards and Glass, this ventures into the unknown and covers the events we didn't hear about that follow that story. I guess it's more like 3.5 stars rather than 4 four for me. I liked it a lot, and will continue in the series.. But it wasn
Stefan Yates
I just reviewed The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born and Volume 2 is more of the same. This may seem to be a rehash of much of Wizard and Glass to most Constant Readers, but there is a lot of the underlying story here that we didn't get in the original novel. All good stuff and highly recommended.
Brian
I was always curious about Roland's backstory. About his previous ka-tet, about the fall of Gilead that was left so mysterious in the main Dark Tower books, about what life in In-World was like before the Good Man came and the world moved on. I would love to read a prequel Dark Tower series exploring that time in his life.

I'd still love to read that, because this comic book adaptation just doesn't do it for me. All the art complaints I have from The Gunslinger Born are still in force here. It lo
Ashley
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just want to grab Sheemie, curl him into my arms, and shriek momma-bird shrieks at anyone who dares harm him. It's interesting how giving Sheemie a face has brought him more into focus in my mind. I could never really get a fix on what he looked like. So this was a wonderful way to be reintroduced to a character that plays such a pivotal role.

I also enjoyed getting to see more of Alain and Cuthbert. The original Ka-tet. I have always wondered at their stories, and I am delighted that I get to
Stephanie
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m still not enjoying this as much as I did the originals and I can’t put my finger on what it is that I don’t like. Is it the art style? The shortness of the volumes? The fact that it’s not actually written by Stephen King and I can somehow tell? I don’t know - maybe a combination of all those things. I think I’ll try one more and if it doesn’t improve, I’ll stop while I’m ahead.
Elyse
This prequel graphic novel series is so much better than The Dark Tower book series...!!! Lol. I love the artwork and I like learning more about Roland's past as a teenager. Shit went DOWN. So good!
Karissa
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in the Dark Tower graphic novel series. There are a total of eleven books in this series. I didn’t like this book quite as much as the first book, but still really enjoyed the illustration throughout.

Roland, Cuthbert, and Alain are fleeing the Big Coffin Hunters in an effort to get home in one piece. However when Roland’s mind gets taken over by the big grapefruit-like globe that they stole from the Coffin Hunters he goes on a strange metaphysical journey of sorts. Meanwhile
Paul Nelson
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Long Road Home continues the story of Roland's youth immediately where The Gunslinger Born finished, after the murder of Roland's first and only true love Susan Delgado the three friends Cuthbert, Alain and Roland must make the dangerous journey back to Gilead while being pursued by the remnants of the Big Coffin Hunters.
Roland looks into the mysterious orb known as Maerlyn's Grapefruit and his soul is wrenched away leaving him unconscious and unable to contribute as they flee home.
The sto
Carmen
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this fascinating. The dark tower novels are very much a commentary on the archetype of the heros quest and reveal a lot of, in Jungian terms, the shadow side. In the novels Rolands katet mates are sometimes repulsed by the almost inhuman and cold hearted drive with which he pursues the tower. Human casualties, friends and gunslingers, family and bystanders, are all expendable so long as he not be diverted from his goal. He does loosen up a bit in the course of the novels and establish hu ...more

• The Stand: Hardcases
  • The Goon, Volume 6: Chinatown and The Mystery of Mr. Wicker
  • DMZ, Vol. 9: M.I.A.
  • The Secretary of Dreams, Volume Two
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume Three (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • Fables, Vol. 12: The Dark Ages
  • Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 13: Too Far Gone
  • Guardians of The Galaxy, Volume 2: War of Kings, Book 1
  • Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins
  • Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 2: First Night
  • Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness

The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born