Start by marking “Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1 (Neon Genesis Evangelion #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  6,542 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Evangelion, Vol. 1, contains a Japanese sound FX glossary plus special bonus commentary by series mecha designer Ikuto Yamashita, as well as the famous "confession letter" written by director Hideaki Anno in the months before the original TV series premiere that laid out his deeply personal motivations to make Evangelion.
Published February 25th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 29th 1995)

Nərmin
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Who likes complex stories
First impressions : Back to classics: Neon Genesis Evangelion ( I love the name)
Here we have evil "angels" which are robotic artificial intelligences that came from (space? another planet?).. And we have Evangelions which are man made robots that battle angles and also have their human riders. ...

Shinji is a depressed boy who is summoned to his father's , whom he hasn't seen for three years. And now he has to ride one of the Evas to battle an angel. ..

Interesting beginning and cool concept.
Wesley Beltz
May 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This is an interesting reinterpretation of the story from the anime. There are some notable differences mainly in the sequence of events, as well as the demeanor of Shinji. If you thought Shinji was too whiny in the anime, you may enjoy this better. It's also interesting in the way that the story is told more through Shinji's eyes. If you want to know more about the characters and their background you would probably enjoy this.
Yukino
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2015, manga
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION n. 1

Finalmente dopo 10 anni riesco a mettere le mani sul primo volume e presto il manga sarà tutto mio.

Come potete capire non saró obiettiva con queste valutazioni perché io semplicemente lo adoro. Ho visto peró prima l'anime e avevo paura che non rendesse a pieno leggere...e invece! riesco a godermi tutto: Combattimento dialoghi il rapporto tra Shinji e suo padre...tutto. Mi sono fermata ad ogni pagina cercando di catturare ogni cosa. Ed è stato bellissimo. Non so come
عبدالله  بامانع 🗿
عيني لم ترى مثل هذا العمل في فنه .. في افكاره العبقرية في ...
( أقصد الأنمي 1995-1997 )

ملحوضة هامة 🔴 " المشاهد الذي لا يرد أن يشاهد عمل معقداً وقصة فلسفية مليئة بالعمق النفسي والديني فعليه أن يبتعد عن [ إيفانجليون ] ، عدا ذلك اهلاً بك في عمل من أجود ما صنعته العقول البشرية " :)
،،

بعض من الفنانين الذين شهدو لهذا العمل الإبداعي :

1- [ Hajime Isayama ] كاتب مانجا [ Attack on Titan ]
يقول : " أنا مبهج بالانميشن ، وأسلوب رسم الآلات ، والفكرة أن
[ هيدياكي انو ] كتب كل ما في داخله في هذا العمل ( احاسيسه
Manaf
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
Good God, this manga took for ever to reach an ending! It took almost 18 years to get all 14 volumes done!

I always wanted to see the Anime version of Evangelion but instead, I decided to read the Manga because it was so well drawn! This has to be one of the best artistic work in Manga and I really like how the Mechs were drawn in it. I could see where Mr Shinkawa (Metal Gear Solid) got his artistic inspiration :)

The plot is a good mix of drama, apocalyptic set, philosophy and war. While I may no
Ysabet
Evangelion was my favorite anime series for a while, and I still have a huge soft spot for it despite disliking both of the endings.

Even without knowing how the manga version is going to end (I keep hoping Sadamoto will deliver an ending I believe, unlike Anno), I think it's a superior piece of work so far. The story is tighter and the changes made to the characters are interesting (some are improvements, some are just intriguing differences). I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it ends
Kyle Muntz
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finally read this manga (after seeing the anime almost a decade ago, which has influenced me more than pretty much anything else), and it was everything I wanted it to be. In general, it follows the anime pretty closely, but with a heavier focus on characters, and a few key changes that seem really important. Also, in general, there's just a lot more of the story, which I think makes it pretty essential for approaching Evangelion as a whole.

Wrote a long review here, but I decided I'll probably t
Gustavo
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga, seinen
Aaaah, el viejo y querido Evangelion, la verdad es que no podría decir nada onjetivo a esta altura, después de haber leído esta parte del manga un millón de veces y haber visto el animé otras tantas. Hace mucho que compré el último tomo, pero no quería leerlo antes de releer todo, y por una razón u otra siempre lo dejaba para después. Por alguna razón leer Gantz me hizo dar ganas de leer Eva, así que ahí vamos.

El primer tomo es casi todo presentación de personajes, me gusta lo habil que es Sadam
Ari
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado mucho desde el momento que te dan una breve explicación de lo que esta pasando en el mundo que creo el autor, simplemento no me decepciono al contrario me sorprendio demasiado.

La secuencia de la historia es increíble, los dibujos estan geniales, ya quiero sefuir leyendo los otros mangas.
Aravena
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
*volume 1-13

Sewaktu pertama kali mendengar tentang Evangelion (*sekitar 12 tahun yang lalu), ada banyak hal yang membuat saya enggan mengikuti seri ini. Walaupun premisnya yang 'remaja Bumi melawan alien dengan robot raksasa' kedengaran keren, tetapi ada sesuatu dalam Evangelion yang membuatnya terasa sangat berbeda dibanding cerita sejenis lainnya yang lebih dulu saya kenal. Evangelion lebih suram, lebih membingungkan, dan lebih membuat saya merasa... tidak nyaman. Shinji sebagai tokoh utama bu
Saga Norén
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mangas
Zankoku Na Tenshi no Shounen🎵
Sesana
Of course I've heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I think anyone who's had more than a passing interest in anime and manga has. But I'd never watched the anime or read the manga, because it just didn't look like my sort of thing. So I read it now, because it has such amazingly (and consistently) good word of mouth. After reading volume one, I can say two things about the manga: the word of mouth is justified, and it still isn't my sort of thing.
Koichi Mashita
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have you ever imagined that you suddenly fight against many unknown monsters? Though reading this manga, you will be able to experience it. Do you know the man whose name is Ikari Shinji? He is the main character in this manga. He is an ordinary junior high school student. One day, an unknown monster called "Shito" appeared in front of him. What is "Shito"? What is the purpose of "Shito" coming to the earth? I wonder next volume. You can feel the growth of Ikari Shinji though this manga and ther ...more
Amanda Lemes
Não vou mentir, tô bastante decepcionada ): Nas épocas do extinto Locomotion, quando eu era bem pirralha, cheguei a ver esporadicamente alguns episódios de EVA. Tenho poucas lembranças do anime, mas, mesmo assim, fiquei com uma impressão de que ele é bem mais interessante que o mangá. Tem muito tempo que tô pra ver o anime completinho e os OVAs e, sei lá, achei o mangá tão pombo, que tô pensando em assistir a tudo primeiro e só depois voltar a ler :/
Marcos San Juan
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una adición expansiva para quienes ya hayan visto la serie animada. Francamente; debido al formato del libro, es algo difícil seguir las secuencias de acción según las ilustraciones puestas en seguidilla. Es posible que si nunca se haya visto antes las animaciones originales, entonces el lector pueda quedarse algo perplejo, confundido o inseguro sobre cómo pasaron los combates. Por otro lado, la historieta trae una escena adicional (no presente en la serie animada) que es clave para confirmar te ...more
Sarai Neilan
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nunca he pensado qué quiero ser en el futuro.
Y mucho menos he pensado en cumplir sueños o deseos...
Hossain
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finally I get around to read the manga. However not much difference between manga and the animated series yet, but I'm only on chapter 14 now. But if you ask me I liked the Rebuild movies better, much better animation, great angel designs, also they cut most of the slower paced portion of the anime. Of-course this is only true for till the 2nd movie. They totally fucked up the 3rd one. I don't like the direction they are going at. I prefer the animated series ending.

I wonder how the manga will e
Fugo Feedback
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi todo el mundo
Recommended to Fugo by: Obligación laboral, placer personal
La historia que contiene este tomo ya la tenía leída, releída y recontraleída de la vieja edición en medio tomo, pero gracias a un cuidado mucho mayor y a una encuadernación verdaderamente linda, casi diría que me gusta más este tomo. Lástima que a partir del tomo 4 no me consta que haya tanto cuidado...
Nicolás Pinto
Es curioso leer la versión manga de un animé, cuando el común es al revés. En esta ocasión, el autor encargado explica que quiso mostrar un poco más la humanidad de Shinji y su historia, para comprender sus motivos más profundos, así como su modo de ver al mundo. Es interesante ya que da otra perspectiva del ya excelente animé que marcó a toda una generación.
Vale la pena leerlo, sin dudas.
Nativeabuse
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Wow, I don't know which I like better the anime or this, I went in expecting a carbon copy of the anime, but I got something with even more philosophical undertones and more detail!

I love where this is heading and I only hope that it keeps heading in this direction of being more detailed than the anime.
Cathy
Apr 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
2015. Angels return and a 14 year old is responsible for piloting a biomechanical weapon...Mmm...war graphics not my particular cup of tea, and there was something highly sexualized to the depictions of the women in this book that didn't jive.
Carolina
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mi-biblioteca
Después de muchos años de haber visto la serie al fin comienzo mi lectura del manga, admito que me cuesta manejar las secuencias de combate que son las que hacen que el ritmo melancólico de Shinji no sature toda la historia.
Osvaldo
Excelente primer volumen :D
A.E. Reiff
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
BACKGROUNDS OF EVE(A)

The title comes from the first Gospel written, transliterates evangelion from Mark 1.1, meaning good news: “The beginning [genesis] of the euangelion εὐαγγέλιον , thus genesis evangelion. This implicates the author of the anime version Hideaki Anno http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_... created by Gainax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainax in a serious theological statement, but it is left to us to understand how far it should be taken. Although the anime version was conc
Christina
So, I've only ever watched the three Rebuild movies of Evangelion, and like, the first minute and a half of the original anime series. I can focus better, generally, when I'm reading a manga or a book, and the manga was actually easier to get a hold of than the series, so I decided to give it a go. After finishing volume one and finding out that the manga adaptation is basically a reboot of the series told in the way closest to how Hideaki Anno and his co-creator Yoshiyuki Sadamoto originally in ...more
Aaro Salosensaari
I've always wondered what's the deal with the NGE anime (huge following, lots of references, etc etc) but I have never seen it ... but one day I noticed the local library has a copy of Viz manga version, let's take a look! If it's really good, maybe I should get my hands on the anime itself!

Unfortunately ...

...maybe the anime series is great, but I'm not impressed with the manga volume at hand.

The premise (and the tech) is unbelievably silly. If one even is willing to grant enough suspension of
Emizel Doe
No me explayare en explicar que es lo que hace a Evangelion una de las mejores obras que Japon nos ha podido entregar. Pocas obras se esfuerzan tanto en el desarrollo y personalidad de sus personajes, menos aun son las que buscan hacer reflexionar al lector, y que, en vez de mantenerlo en su zona de comfort (como aquellas que basan su popularidad en hacer que la gente escape de lo que para ellos es una triste realidad) buscan dar un mensaje anti-escapismo y aportar algo de esperanza con sentido ...more
Micaela
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Back to the basics (japanese edition).
This manga is really hard to explain for me to those who are unaware of what manga is. I always tell them that the drawings are so cool and detailed, and that the story is a little mixed up, and that you can't read this on a Sunday afternoon or you'd commit suicide. It's not really a sad, drama plot but sometimes it touches your core and it can leave a feeling of loneliness and "surrender" maybe (the feeling you get when you realise there's nothing you can d
Un Lector Nocturno
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Que buen inicio de serie.

Evangelion es ese nombre con el que siempre me topaba en las listas de Manga y Anime, pero nunca me habían dado ganas de verlo hasta este año, y no estoy seguro de si esperar fue la mejor opción, pero puedo decir que me ha gustado mucho como inicio el manga, se que aun hay misterios por resolver y personajes por desarrollar, porque hasta donde se, ahí radica él éxito de esta serie, así que ya solo queda disfrutar de los demás volúmenes :)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02: Tears of an Angel
  • X/1999, Volume 01: Prelude
  • Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 3
  • Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! Vol. 1 (Trigun, #1)
  • Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, Volume 1 (Cowboy Bebop, Shooting Star, #1)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days Volume 1
  • Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, Volume 2 (Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, #2)
  • FLCL, Volume 1 (FLCL, #1)
  • Hellsing, Vol. 03 (Hellsing, #3)
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto ( also see 貞本 義行) is a Japanese character designer, mangaka, and one of the founding members of the Gainax anime studio.

Also the character designer for the .hack//Games and the Package designer for the .hack//GU games.
Also publishes with the doujinshi pen name 45yen.
More about Yoshiyuki Sadamoto

Neon Genesis Evangelion (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 2