Jump to ratings and reviews

Nongovernments: NGOs and the Political Development of the Third World

* A complete overview of the composition and types of today s NGOsThis definitive work on nongovernmental organizations is worthwhile reading for anyone who is interested in NGOs or the political development of the Third World. "Nongovernments" details the influence these organizations have had on world political systems and the hope they bring to the possibility for sustainable development.

246 pages, Paperback

First published September 1, 1997

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Julie Fisher

3 books4 followers
Because there is so much evil in the world, I am intellectually curious about why people do good. I am passionate about democracy, linked as it is to improved economic performance, increased equality, political stability, good governance and the avoidance of war. However, democratization is also “a long, hard slog.” In my most recent book, Importing Democracy: The Role of NGOs in South Africa, Tajikistan and Argentina, I show how “democratization NGOs… an ignored global trend” take on this giant challenge.

My first book, The Road from Rio: Sustainable Development and the Nongovenrmental Movement in the Third World, was a pioneering overview of the worldwide growth of civil society which began in the 1970s. It was widely and favorably reviewed and was translated into Spanish. My second book, Nongovernments: NGOs and the Political Development of the Third World, was translated into Chinese and published by Tsinghua University.

My career has also included work for International organizations on microenterprise evaluation and workshops on partnerships between international and indigenous NGOs. I taught Comparative Politics at Connecticut College and a course on World Population at the Yale Forestry School with a biologist and an economist. I spent ten years as a program officer at the Kettering Foundation, a think tank on deliberative democracy.

My educational background includes a B.A. from Pomona College and both an M.A. and a Ph.D. from the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
2 (50%)
1 star
0 (0%)
No one has reviewed this book yet.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.