Start by marking “Green-Light Your Book: How Writers Can Succeed in the New Era of Publishing” as Want to Read:
Green-Light Your Book: How Writers Can Succeed in the New Era of Publishing

Green-Light Your Book: How Writers Can Succeed in the New Era of Publishing

Green-Light Your Book is a straight-shooting guide to a changing industry. Written for aspiring authors, previously published authors, and independent publishers, it explains the ever-shifting publishing landscape and helps indie authors understand that they're up against the status quo, and how to work within the system but also how to subvert the system in order to ...more
Paperback
Published June 14th 2016 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about Green-Light Your Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green-Light Your Book

Start your review of Green-Light Your Book: How Writers Can Succeed in the New Era of Publishing
Laurie Buchanan
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aspiring or well-established, published or not; if you’re a writer, you need this book. In her straightforward, from-the-hip style, Brooke Warner—publisher at She Writes Press—generously shares her industry savvy. From publishing models, to publicity, and everything in-between, including author mindset, GREEN-LIGHT YOUR BOOK is the keep-at-hand guide for those of us who write.
Jennifer Dwight
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Packed with information for the novice, seasoned or aspiring author, and book publisher, Brooke Warner's wise book enlightens readers about the state of the book publishing industry today. She defines many terms which mystify those new to publishing, explains the mechanics of how a manuscript becomes a book on the book store shelf, and offers philosophical and attitudinal advice on the traits an author must develop in order to become "successful." I especially appreciated the chapter on ...more
Amy Rogers
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
You wrote, or you're thinking about writing, a book? Great! Welcome to the confusing, fluctuating, impenetrable world of publishing.

There is no quick and easy way to learn this business, and to examine your options, but Brooke Warner's book is a wise place to begin.

Many books of this type speak in useless generalities. GREENLIGHT gets deeper into the meat of what you need to know.

I read this book and will be reading it again.
Emily Buehler
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I expected, and helped me more than I’d anticipated. I had heard of the book many times; I took a few webinars with the author and listen to her Write Minded podcast. So when I saw Green-Light Your Book at the library (on the shelf next to the book I was looking for, Letters to a Young Novelist by Vargas), I checked it out.

I’ve read a lot about the current state of publishing and about self-publishing and other new models, and I expected this book to be more of that
Ron Bahar
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While I was never a "neat" person until adulthood, I had always had a healthy respect for the appearance of my books. I had done everything within my power to prevent their physical damage: no dents, no highlighting, and, God forbid, no dog-ears. Now that my own book will be released next spring, I assumed that I would have a better understanding of the work that goes in to making them beautiful, and that my fear of damaging them would only become more entrenched.

Well, Brooke Warner has shifted
Patty Pacelli
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book at the Publishing University 2017 conference by the author, who also gave the keynote at the conference. I am an author and small publisher and still learning a lot about the business, so this book was perfect for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned so much. The writing was very clear, honest, inspiring and pleasant to read while educating and giving me confidence in what I am doing.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
My publisher’s words of wisdom to writers just getting into the publishing whirl.
Lorraine Devon Wilke
Having been a self-published author for many years, putting out two well-received books that followed as many of the ‘best practices’ as I was aware of at the times I launched each book, I was surprised, frankly, by how much new perspective I gained from reading Warner’s book. In fact, I thought several times to myself that I wished I’d had it as a reference back in 2014 when I first entered the arena!

From my perspective, this is less a step-by-step instructional manual for those looking for a
Cori Spenzich
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brooke Warner writes with authority, and with many years of experience in both traditional publishing and indie.

Items I took note of:
- Five things To Do When You're Hiring a Publicist
- Author Expertise: Brooke considers this 25% of an author's platform. For a novelist, the questions becomes, "Why am I writing this book? What does this book mean to me?" Being able to talk about and share that with others can help in reaching an audience. This is interesting since it provides a similar path to
Meredith Marsh
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an aspiring author, I was excited to pick up a copy of Brooke Warner's "Green-Light Your Book: How Writers Can Succeed in the New Era of Publishing," but I was not ready for her direct, to-the-point honesty. The blunt truths contained in these pages were not at all what I expected, or often what I wanted to hear, but they were exactly what I needed to be told. As someone who is currently working on drafts for three separate books (2 memoirs, 1 novel), it is easy to get bogged down in the hard ...more
Vania Rheault
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great book! Brooke really hits the nail on the head when she says not to let agents and publishers put a value on your work. The publishing industry and its gatekeepers only want to make money. That's not to say your book wouldn't make money, but between two books they are considering, maybe it wouldn't make them the *most* money. Brooke explains it very well, and it's a must read for any author who is querying and is discouraged by the process.

While self-publishing is always "free"
Jean Minton
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having recently completed my first draft of my first book, I found Brook Warner's Green-light Your Book incredibly inspiring. Warner walks the reader through definitions of the three types of publishing: self, traditional, and the new "hybrid." While she understandably makes a very good case for publishing a book through a hybrid publishing company like She Writes Press (thank you Brooke for creating SWP, since learning of SWP, I've already read several outstanding SWP books), Green-light Your ...more
Sharon Orlopp
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book spoke to my soul. It helped me understand the similarities and differences between traditional publishing, self publishing and "hybrid" publishing. Brooke Warner has worked in traditional publishing and she co-founded She Writes Press. Warner speaks about the five P's of publishing: patience, perseverance, platform, publicity, and prolificness. She shares insights about different author personalities and how that plays out during the publishing and marketing process.

The "indie author"
Dave Bartell
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brooke masterfully illuminates book publishing for what it is - a business. At the 2018 SF Writer's conference, she spoke on several panels and led a session I attended. She is articulate, pragmatic and passionate about writing and publishing. She advocates change in publishing - get indie-book publishing the same respect as indie-film and indie-music - AND to hold a high standard for quality. Example, would you listen to a crappy recording of a band? No.

Her book packages all the advice given in
Heidi McCrary
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To say this is a must-read for anyone contemplating publishing, whether with a traditional publisher or with one of today’s hybrid publishers, is an understatement. I only wish I had read this many years ago as I repeatedly banged my head against the literary wall trying to land an agent. Too many agents are only looking for hot-button genres, ignoring the great stories that fall outside of Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Brooke Warner hits all the Do's and Don’ts for writers looking to publish, and throws
Rozette
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was assigned this book to read as part of my English class as the second of two books we read. I feel like this book was more beneficial in that the author makes things very easy to grasp and understand with her straightforward manner of presenting the information. This book definitely helped me feel more confident about the publishing industry and how to navigate it. With how fast and how much the publishing world is changing, this book definitely helped me understand much more easily. One ...more
Deanna Madden
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-on-writing
'Green-light Your Book' is full of helpful information about today's publishing world with special emphasis on hybrid and indie publishing. Written by Brooke Warner, founder of She Writes Press, a hybrid publisher, the book discusses many issues surrounding the changes taking place in the publishing world today. She gives lots of good advice to writers new to this world about how to succeed. A very empowering book that encourages writers not to wait to be validated by literary agents and ...more
Jennifer Peacock-Smith
There wasn't anything new that I read, however, and that is a big however, there is a LOT of contradictory information out there and much of it is opinion (and often good opinion) but it is not explained well. And often it is rumor. So I found this book explains things in a way that I found really helpful. My gut was telling me all sorts of things and this affirmed most of them. I feel that my knowledge is well founded now and I explain it better. As an author in this modern age it was a really ...more
Darin Simms
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an exceptional book designed to inspire writers to become authors. Warner walks her readers through the process of publishing, managing expectations, building a platform, and so much more. I marked this book up and dog-eared pages throughout. Chapter 10 is basically a conclusion, summarizing the main points of the book and giving last words of encouragement. Every author or aspiring author would do well to read this and apply the wisdom.
Sheila Cameron
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I appreciated the sharing of the author's publishing knowledge and the practical applications. But I most enjoyed this book because it left me feeling more inspired about book publishing and promotion than I've ever been. Even though Warner spells out how difficult it can be to succeed as a writer, there is still hope -- even for an introvert like me! Warner is also an excellent speaker. I was fortunate to see her keynote and education session at IBPA's 2017 Publishing University.
Francie Arenson Dickman
Inspiring and instructive!

Brooke Warner offers thoughtful, detailed yet easy to understand guidance for any author but especially a first time author. It’s a great introduction to the publishing industry and it’s a pep talk to anyone hesitant to put her manuscript out there, to get active on social media, to think of a book as a product—in other words, to make the leap from writer to published author.
Shelley Blanton-Stroud
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Warner's most-objective, at least fair, tone, layered on top of an awful lot of information about the publishing industry today. It was so instructive on topics I had no idea about, especially distribution. This is a good one if you'd like to know how publishing works right now. (Though it will likely be different next week.)
J. Grabarek
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am going to be pitching my novel to three agents at the San Francisco Writer's Conference and I found myself feeling both empowered and strangely calm after reading this book. The realities of the publishing world are clearly outlined, and numerous options for publication are discussed in an easy to understand style. I read it from front to back without putting it down.
A.M. Bochnak
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my perception about the publishing industry in ways I never imagined. I had decided long ago that I would never walk the traditional publishing path, a journey that causes me to cringe. This book is filled with years of knowledge and experience and the tools that any author at any stage in their career could benefit from!
Barbara Stark-Nemon
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A pitch-perfect distillation of the often confusing issues surrounding book publishing for both the aspiring and experienced author. Brooke Warner's experience in and command of the broad spectrum from traditional to self publishing informs this go-to manual for any author.
Bonnie Hirst
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brooke Warner's, Green-Light Your Book, is an extremely helpful road map to new authors. Author mindset, expectations, and personal examples are just a sampling of what golden nuggets are included in this powerful book.
Deborah Siegel
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this to ALL my clients who are writing--or aspire to write--a book.
Carol Cronin
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are considering publishing a book through any of the available methods, read this first. There's lots of great advice from a veteran of the publishing industry.
Terese M Ricci
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book gave me a great overview of the publishing industry and now I feel like I can move forward with some understanding of the pitfalls/benefits of various strategies. A great investment!
Elise Schiller
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are trying to figure out how to get your book published--traditional, hybrid, or self-publishing--this is the book for you! Very helpful!

• The Business of Being a Writer
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • Hard Cider
  • The Yellow House
  • The Stylist
  • Getting Back to Happy: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Reality, and Turn Your Trials Into Triumphs
  • Still Life with Bread Crumbs
  • A Map of the World
  • Awaken the Spirit Within: 10 Steps to Ignite Your Life and Fulfill Your Divine Purpose
  • What the Dead Have Taught Me About Living Well