Start by marking “Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale” as Want to Read:
Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale

Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale

Every enterprise application creates data, whether it's log messages, metrics, user activity, outgoing messages, or something else. And how to move all of this data becomes nearly as important as the data itself. If you're an application architect, developer, or production engineer new to Apache Kafka, this practical guide shows you how to use this open source streaming pl ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Kafka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kafka

Start your review of Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
Rod Hilton
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty much what you expect from a "The Definitive Guide" book - it takes you through installing and using Kafka, how to work with it in production, how the internals work, and a laundry list of operations you might want to perform as an admin and how to perform those operations. It's thorough and complete and yet not overly long. It's more than you get from the documentation on the web, a bit better-written and more comprehensive. Plus, hey, it's free https://www.confluent.io/resources/ka...

Def
Rinat Sharipov
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first thing you should read before started to work with Kafka
Ieva Gr
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Why I read it: The book is presented as ‘a fun read for those interested in distributed systems’. And I am one of those people. + Kafka is one of the tools used in my workplace, so thought it would be nice to know more about it.

What I liked about it: It actually was a fun read. Everything was explained well and with simple language. I did not struggle while reading it at all. It provided in depth knowledge on Kafka – main concepts, how things work, how things should be configured to get a desire
Xanan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Acceptable for administrators, bad for programmers, and tons of errors.

The book provides a general coverage of Kafka's architecture and internal working.
It details many configuration parameters that affect clustering, replication, message delivery.
It also offers valuable material for system administrators who need to manage and monitor a running cluster.
It's not very good for programmers: Java API coverage is partial and inadequate.
The chapters are uncoordinated and poorly integrated with some r
Luca
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book. The concepts, while hard, are explained carefully. The pace of the book is nice as well.

I would consider this book a 5-star book without the unreasonable number of occurrences of the world "simply". It was unnerving and unnecessary. But if you care about Apache Kafka, this is a required reading.
Greg
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good book for Kafka newcomers. Covers all of the topics which developers or application architects would be interested in while choosing a use case specific integration solution. I find the book being detailed enough, so one will not get bored reading it. Of course it is important toremember that the books covers Kafka itself and not 'will it fit my case?'. However, the authors focus on explaining Kafka in a way that it makes easy to understand if Kafka is the right solution for your need ...more
Randy Goering
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Great book

I read this book to start my understanding of Kafka and its usage. I found the book very helpful. It's a good book for anyone needing to setup and use Kafka.
Vera
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good book to improve basic Kafka knowledge. It is much more readable and helpful than the official doc.
Filip Tepper
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read, very thorough Kafka walkthrough. I just wish there was more on Connect and Streams.
Alex
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book about Kafka principles and paradigms. Helped me a lot to understand Kafka architecture.
Peter Rybarczyk
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good book, maybe not the best tech book I've read so far but a good one.

This book is written by tech people for tech people and you feel it all the time, for me, it's a big plus. It explains most of the topics I'd like to know to start my journey with Kafka and for sure I'll be using it often. Next big thing is that I didn't found any advertisement for Confluent or Apache at all! That nice, there was more space for meaty stuff like:

-> Monitoring - this is the chapter I liked most. A lot
khalid eldehairy
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good:
- Good job simplifying a complex topic.
- Well explain the different combination of settings/properties given different distributed system needs (trade-offs).

The Bad:
- I'd have appreciate more in-depth insights in the internals instead of wasting paper space on giving javadoc style coding examples.

Also, it's Outdated. Not much. But still some important features like idempotency/exactly-once are missing. I did not put that in the "The Bad" as it was obvious when I bought it. I'm just ment
Alex Ott
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook, big-data
Real rating is about 7/10...

Quite good overview of the Apache Kafka, covering most of the aspects, including new additions, like, Kafka Streams.

The cons of the book are:
- Errors, typos, etc. (list will be sent to authors) - as I see, they mostly are from the fact that work on the book started long time ago
- Some topics are covered not very deep, and reader should reference the official documentation. For example, authentication is just mentioned, without saying how to setup it & how to use fro
Christoph Kappel
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book is a complete trip through all of the topics around kafka - I should have listened to the wording "definitive guide". My intention was to understand the idea of kafka, what risks might be and I think the book did a good job.

For my opinion, there was way too much explanation of all the various config options, I think the manual contains this kind of explanation as well. Still, all the config options and the notes, that you have to figure out the best mix on your own isn't really assurin
Marek M
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting introduction to Kafka with just right amount of details. Plenty of practical examples and advice which is quite helpful when you are running Kafka in production. I especially enjoyed chapter about Kafka internals.

The only "bad" think about the book is ton of typos and formatting errors (partially converted markdown, typos, etc), but given that it was pre-release I assume it is going to be edited appropriately.
0vai5
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid introduction to Kafka with a good overview of the architecture as well as the programming api.
It also covers the Kafka internals, Kafka admin and monitoring the Kafka clusters in great detail.

I found the book to be approachable and quite easy to follow along.

The only con I think is that the book requires a new version as it covers Kafka 0.10 while the current stable version is Kafka 2.2!
Miloš
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
If you disregard the fact that something that claims to be a "definitive" guide skims over a lot of usage patterns and best practices, the book was actually a very nice read - informative, to the point, dives deep enough into Kafka architecture and implementation details to give you a clear picture of how it works and what you should expect when using Kafka but also omits enough information so that it doesn't overwhelm you at any point. ...more
Ivan Orone
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: data-engineering
The book does a great job of giving you a general overview of how to use Kafka effectively.
I highly recommend it to anyone starting out with Kafka and doesn't want to fall into avoidable pitfalls later on with their Kafka setup.

The authors have vast experience using Kafka and do a great job of guiding you on various actions and their consequences. They also guide you on what to look out for.
Felipe Gonçalves Marques
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great book to get a better understanding of Kafka, but mainly to be used as a reference.
It provides a lot of information regarding the internals of Kafka and its configuration, which gives a lot of insights on how to deploy, monitor and debug it. And most of the time the authors contextualize the information with software engineering principles and real-world use cases. Also, Kafka streams API seems very interesting.
Oleg Prozorov
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: data-prog
This book is an interesting reading. As a person who has never used Kafka I've found enough information about when and how to use it. One minor inconvinience for me was that a lot of low level configuration and production concerns were described in the second chapter, at this moment I wasn't able to understand them. ...more
Lauro Caetano
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good book for those running Kafka in production or considering to use.

There are really good informations about configuration options, recommended approaches when designing consumer/producers, Kafka guarantees of delivery in some scenarios, code examples, replication strategies, Kafka Connect patterns and so on.

Highly recommend reading!
Ricardo Hernández
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent technical guide to understand the essentials of Kafka. As usual with O’Reilly books, this guides uncovers the basics and most primordial architectural topics of using Kafka as part of a technical architecture. While the book does not cover Kafka Connect and Streams in deep, it serves as on boarding -definitive- guide on the subject. Recommended as introductory guide in the technology.
Avraam Mavridis
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a great book to understand the basic concepts of Kafka, but as with any tool you have to play a bit with it to get a better understanding. If I had to mention something negative is that the examples/APIs are in Java, so if you are writing in a different language you have to see if your Kafka library/wrapper offers the equivalent API. ...more
Jevgenij
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
The book is not very useful for developers, a bit better for system administrators. However, administration and configuration concepts are very inconveniently intermixed.
Some chapters feel unnecessarily detailed and feel more like a manual on configuration, others feel incomplete, e.g. in the section about stream processing use-cases only 2 use-cases are mentioned.
Kamil
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction into the Apache Kafka. Provides examples of usages and configuration. Explains how internals works. It goes further then just messaging and introduces data pipelines and stream processing with Kafka.
MaKeDa
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really clear and concise introduction to Apache Kafka, to really master this tool you would still require to take a good dive into the official documentation but this book really helps to get the things going,
William Anderson
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Technical and Fantastic. This tome is quite exhaustive and serves as a great cover-to-cover read to understand Kafka thoroughly as well as a terrific guide. If delves into the inner workings as well as architectural applications, and comparisons/advantages.
Yin Yunpeng
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
excellent introduction about Apache Kafka, especially the tuning tips of each components and detailed explanation on configuration options, very useful. I would recommend it to anyone who I know is using Kafka.
Mafalda
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was great to get me started with Kafka. It explains the fundamentals in a very accessible way and it was an amazing study material while I was preparing for the developer certification from Confluent.
Rosa Chaves Rodríguez
We love logs, so that Kafka architecture (producer, consumer, broker, zookeeper) plays an important role to orchestrate Big Data. This book is a Good introduction to this technology from instalation to code configurations, it offers lots of explanatory schemas as well.

• Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • I Heart Logs: Event Data, Stream Processing, and Data Integration
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Making Sense of Stream Processing
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • Kafka Streams in Action: Real-time apps and microservices with the Kafka Streams API
  • Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
  • Kubernetes in Action
  • Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
  • Test-Driven Development: By Example

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »