Start by marking “Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale” as Want to Read:
Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale

Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale

Every enterprise application creates data, whether it's log messages, metrics, user activity, outgoing messages, or something else. And how to move all of this data becomes nearly as important as the data itself. If you're an application architect, developer, or production engineer new to Apache Kafka, this practical guide shows you how to use this open source streaming pl ...more
Published October 3rd 2017 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Kafka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kafka

Rod Hilton
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty much what you expect from a "The Definitive Guide" book - it takes you through installing and using Kafka, how to work with it in production, how the internals work, and a laundry list of operations you might want to perform as an admin and how to perform those operations. It's thorough and complete and yet not overly long. It's more than you get from the documentation on the web, a bit better-written and more comprehensive. Plus, hey, it's free https://www.confluent.io/resources/ka...

Def
Rinat Sharipov
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first thing you should read before started to work with Kafka
Xanan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Acceptable for administrators, bad for programmers, and tons of errors.

The book provides a general coverage of Kafka's architecture and internal working.
It details many configuration parameters that affect clustering, replication, message delivery.
It also offers valuable material for system administrators who need to manage and monitor a running cluster.
It's not very good for programmers: Java API coverage is partial and inadequate.
The chapters are uncoordinated and poorly integrated with some r
Luca
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book. The concepts, while hard, are explained carefully. The pace of the book is nice as well.

I would consider this book a 5-star book without the unreasonable number of occurrences of the world "simply". It was unnerving and unnecessary. But if you care about Apache Kafka, this is a required reading.
Greg
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good book for Kafka newcomers. Covers all of the topics which developers or application architects would be interested in while choosing a use case specific integration solution. I find the book being detailed enough, so one will not get bored reading it. Of course it is important toremember that the books covers Kafka itself and not 'will it fit my case?'. However, the authors focus on explaining Kafka in a way that it makes easy to understand if Kafka is the right solution for your need ...more
Randy Goering
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Great book

I read this book to start my understanding of Kafka and its usage. I found the book very helpful. It's a good book for anyone needing to setup and use Kafka.
Filip Tepper
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read, very thorough Kafka walkthrough. I just wish there was more on Connect and Streams.
khalid eldehairy
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good:
- Good job simplifying a complex topic.
- Well explain the different combination of settings/properties given different distributed system needs (trade-offs).

The Bad:
- I'd have appreciate more in-depth insights in the internals instead of wasting paper space on giving javadoc style coding examples.

Also, it's Outdated. Not much. But still some important features like idempotency/exactly-once are missing. I did not put that in the "The Bad" as it was obvious when I bought it. I'm just ment
Alex Ott
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook, big-data
Real rating is about 7/10...

Quite good overview of the Apache Kafka, covering most of the aspects, including new additions, like, Kafka Streams.

The cons of the book are:
- Errors, typos, etc. (list will be sent to authors) - as I see, they mostly are from the fact that work on the book started long time ago
- Some topics are covered not very deep, and reader should reference the official documentation. For example, authentication is just mentioned, without saying how to setup it & how to use
Marek Skrobacki
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting introduction to Kafka with just right amount of details. Plenty of practical examples and advice which is quite helpful when you are running Kafka in production. I especially enjoyed chapter about Kafka internals.

The only "bad" think about the book is ton of typos and formatting errors (partially converted markdown, typos, etc), but given that it was pre-release I assume it is going to be edited appropriately.
Ovais Mohammad
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid introduction to Kafka with a good overview of the architecture as well as the programming api.
It also covers the Kafka internals, Kafka admin and monitoring the Kafka clusters in great detail.

I found the book to be approachable and quite easy to follow along.

The only con I think is that the book requires a new version as it covers Kafka 0.10 while the current stable version is Kafka 2.2!
Lauro Caetano
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good book for those running Kafka in production or considering to use.

There are really good informations about configuration options, recommended approaches when designing consumer/producers, Kafka guarantees of delivery in some scenarios, code examples, replication strategies, Kafka Connect patterns and so on.

Highly recommend reading!
Oleg Prozorov
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: data-prog
This book is an interesting reading. As a person who has never used Kafka I've found enough information about when and how to use it. One minor inconvinience for me was that a lot of low level configuration and production concerns were described in the second chapter, at this moment I wasn't able to understand them.
Ricardo Hernández
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent technical guide to understand the essentials of Kafka. As usual with O’Reilly books, this guides uncovers the basics and most primordial architectural topics of using Kafka as part of a technical architecture. While the book does not cover Kafka Connect and Streams in deep, it serves as on boarding -definitive- guide on the subject. Recommended as introductory guide in the technology.
MaKeDa
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really clear and concise introduction to Apache Kafka, to really master this tool you would still require to take a good dive into the official documentation but this book really helps to get the things going,
William Anderson
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Technical and Fantastic. This tome is quite exhaustive and serves as a great cover-to-cover read to understand Kafka thoroughly as well as a terrific guide. If delves into the inner workings as well as architectural applications, and comparisons/advantages.
Yin Yunpeng
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
excellent introduction about Apache Kafka, especially the tuning tips of each components and detailed explanation on configuration options, very useful. I would recommend it to anyone who I know is using Kafka.
Kamil
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction into the Apache Kafka. Provides examples of usages and configuration. Explains how internals works. It goes further then just messaging and introduces data pipelines and stream processing with Kafka.
George
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
The docs are much better imo.
François Paupier
Good intro if you are completely new to the subject but some code snippet are outdated which can be frustrating when you try to replicate results.
Joe Feocco
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Learning about Kafka? Not reading this? You're making a mistake.
John
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I gave it 4 stars not because it was a phenomenal book, but because it is a quite solid guide on Kafka. I did its job pretty well!
Steve
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid and informative guide. Kafka is powerful and full of rope; this helps make it more comprehensible.
Mr_Shnoobles
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Might be a bit out of date at this point given that 0.10.0 was the most recent version at the time of writing, but the information provided is helpful, and the book is well written.
Alex
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book about Kafka principles and paradigms. Helped me a lot to understand Kafka architecture.
Alan
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
An excellent book to read in order to start working with Kafka, to understand it's architecture, and the computing paradigms where you can use it.
Matija
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written and informative. It leaves some gaps though - e.g. I was hoping to learn about KTables from it, but they are just mentioned in passing.
Serejka Keller
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You better read this book before taming the Kafka beast.
Mehar Svln
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very Good Book on introduction to Kafka and all aspects related to it.
Ruslan Khafizov
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good overview of Kafka

• Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide: A Distributed Real-Time Search and Analytics Engine
  • Learning Spark
  • Functional Programming in Scala
  • Big Data: Principles and best practices of scalable realtime data systems
  • Graph Databases
  • MapReduce Design Patterns: Building Effective Algorithms and Analytics for Hadoop and Other Systems
  • Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 1 - Technical leadership and the balance with agility
  • I Heart Logs: Event Data, Stream Processing, and Data Integration
  • Cassandra: The Definitive Guide
  • The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit: Practical Techniques for Building Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Systems
  • Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
  • Learn you some Erlang for great good!
  • Java Performance: The Definitive Guide
  • Reactive Messaging Patterns with the Actor Model: Applications and Integration in Scala and Akka
  • Jenkins: The Definitive Guide
  • Scala in Depth
  • Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks: When Threads Unravel
  • Taming Text

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »