Start by marking “Alternacrafts: 20+ Hi-Style Lo-Budget Projects to Make” as Want to Read:
Alternacrafts: 20+ Hi-Style Lo-Budget Projects to Make

Alternacrafts: 20+ Hi-Style Lo-Budget Projects to Make

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
With an emphasis on recycling, making projects from scratch, and improvisation - as well as detailed, easy-to-understand instructions - this title gives crafters the skills they need to self-express, by shaping their own environments, whether they're working on their bodies, their bedrooms, their lockers at school, or their first apartments.
Published April 1st 2006 by Harry N. Abrams (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Alternacrafts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alternacrafts

jess
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: beginning crafters & girl scout troop leaders
Shelves: craft, 2008
this wasn't the worst book i've ever read. if i were a girl scout troop leader, i would appreciate reading this book and being reminded of crafts to share with a group of young ladies. if i had never spent time making things, or considering the politics of making things yourself instead of buying them, i would have gotten a lot out of this book. as a person who is neither a beginning crafter or a girl scout troop leader, i had trouble really sinking my teeth into this book. however, i did apprec ...more
Sonja Isaacson
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: home-garden
I was pretty disappointed with this book. There just were not many projects that I would want or use. It does seem to have pretty good directions though, but I don't understand why the page directions keep changing. At first I thought maybe it was about setting up the book to read while you are making something... but probably not.

I did like the Bottle-Cap Lockets. I would probably do them as magnets instead, but it would make nice little gifts for family members. And I like the jeans-into-skirt
Birgit
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love, love, love this book! In fact, I now want my own copy! And its funky chic style is right up my alley. Most of the projects build themselves upon using recycled materials (bottle caps, old postcards, that unworn t-shirt that's taken up permanent residence in your bottom drawer). And unlike the knitting books I've grabbed lately, this book is full of totally doable projects, regardless of your skill level. The perfect book for the make-it-yourself gift giver looking for the perfect quirky ...more
Pat
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: create
Some fun ideas, some kind of ho-hum. Most of them recycling old into new which I always love. My favorite is the Shaggy Dog Rug. Cute way to use old t-shirts. Most interesting: the Skant, turning pants into a skirt. These are short versions, but I was in high school in the 70's and had a long skirt made from old bell bottom, hip higgers complete with patches (I remember one was a peace sign, one the Woodstock symbol and one the flag) and embroidery. What I wouldn't give to have that skirt back a ...more
Marcia
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
Wait long enough and everything comes back around again. Ha! We made denim skirts out of old jeans in junior high (no "middle school" in 1974) exactly like those in this book. We also re-purposed bandanas and made flowers out of paper. This book would be fine for a beginner crafter looking for low cost ideas.
The wallet made from candy wrappers was cute and those are in vogue right now with the green crew. Fun to browse through.
Charlotte
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
feh... I like the concept. I'm always wanting to take traditional arts and apply them to more edgy/modern ideas. It's what I do. But the projects in this book weren't for me. I'm not going to cut up an old sweater and wear it as a hat. I can't see myself making a purse out of jeans. But if you did want to do any of these projects, the instructions and pictures are clear. The text is lighthearted. It's fine. I just really wanted ALTERNATIVE. This isn't very cutting-edge.
Jessi
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't know how you can call something "hi-style" when a significant portion of your book is just doing stupid stuff to t-shirts. And stamping white pillow cases. I like fun, kitschy crafts, but I found the stuff in here to be horribly disappointing. It was all either pointless ways to mess up your already ok clothes, or crafts one might find at a middle school summer camp. : /
Beth Roberts
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
The basis of this book is being crafty with every day items on hand at home without having to outsource so much. It starts with a little blurb about Pretty in Pink. Molly Ringwald apparently has inspired more than a few of us to pick up the old needle and thread and turn scraps into a masterpiece. Lo cost and hi style, these crafty ideas seem fun and simple.
Heather
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crafty peoples, I guess
Shelves: craft-books
I was in love with this book from the first mention of resin. The resin bottlecap necklaces look hard, and the resin itself is a little toxic, but oh, geez, what a completely happycraft. For teens, for grownups. I made a few lovely gifts, and they are totally not expensive, except for the resin! Here's what I do know--a t-shirt made out of rugs sounds like a fun time to me.
Evan
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it
This book had some interesting "alternative" ideas for crafting, but relied heavily on clothing-based crafts. Which is fine--if that's your bag, baby.

My favorite chapter was the one on crafts to make and give to friends. I especially loved the dog bed!
Mary
Jan 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Things I don't like in craft books:
Insistence that crafting is cool/young
Ugly crafted items
Boring ideas I've seen a million places, like cutting up t-shirts.

This book has all of the above. Not my style.
Amy
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great book with lots of projects that use recycled materials - things you would find around the house. If you want to learn how to re-fashion an old pair of jeans or make use of bottlecaps then this is the book for you.
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts
I loved this book, it is one of the best craft books I have ever read. It contains simple, cheap, hip, and beautiful items that don't require complex instructions, expensive parts, or tons of technique. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes cool handmade stuff but doesn't have an art degree.
K
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Bright design, engaging layout. A few cute things: metallic cuffs, sweater purse, knitted metallic scarf & cuffs. Some junky stuff too that most people above the age of 12 wouldn't be caught dead wearing, but might have fun making.
Ashley
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wasn't bad, had a lot of crafts I have seen before though. Sorry
Kate
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-a-holic
Another feast for the eyes and imagination. Well organized, good instructions. A joy for any crafter to have on their shelf.
Kate
A great resource for anyone who loves crafting. Make necklaces from bottle caps and washers. The difficulty ratings and shopping lists make this great for planning programs.
Valerie
Oct 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
I ''read'' this in 2009, but I'm not adding it to my 2009 list.

This isn't even worth a library check out, in my opinion.
Angie
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty-stuff
This book inspired me to do t-shirt appliques
Katy
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-literature
Fun, cheap projects that are actually pretty cool. Good for guys and gals, and very popular with my teens at the library.
Denise Kruse
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
As with most craft books, some ideas are good and some not-so-good. Very 70s retro. Good instructions for a nice variety of crafts.
Anne
A couple good ideas
Lisa
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
I used this book for my craft classes at the library I work for and the patrons really enjoyed making the crafts. It's very easy to read and the crafts are simple. The bottle cap necklace was fun.
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
lots of repurposing!!
Andrea
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
the instructions were clear and the pictures were nice...but the crafts were nothing unique.
Dolldiva
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea.
Erika Mulvenna
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to start to sew or craft
Shelves: sewing
This book will make you want to make something.
Alba
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have not had a chance to make any of the projects in this book, but I enjoyed looking through it and getting ideas. It has some really nice, easy and creative project ideas. I recommend this book.
Tamara
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty, non-fiction
Nothing groundbreaking, but fairly simple and accessible.
Tasha
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Excellent book. Now I know what to do with all my bottle caps.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Super Crafty: Over 75 Amazing How-To Projects
  • Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt
  • The Craftster Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, and Kitschy Crafts: Fifty Fabulous Projects from the Fifties and Sixties
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Eco Craft: Recycle Recraft Restyle
  • Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads Into Street Couture
  • Sew Subversive: Down & Dirty DIY for the Fabulous Fashionista
  • 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Warm Fuzzies: 30 Sweet Felted Projects