Start by marking “Dead Man (Black Magic Outlaw, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man (Black Magic Outlaw, #1)

Dead Man

(Black Magic Outlaw #1)

I'm Cisco Suarez: necromancer, shadow charmer, black magic outlaw. Sounds kinda cool, doesn't it? It was, right until I woke up half dead in a dumpster.

Did I say half dead? Because I meant 100% dead. Full on. I don't do things halfway.

So here I am, alive for some reason, just another sunny day in Miami. It's a perfect paradise, except I'm into somet
Published December 24th 2015 by Blood & Treasure

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man

Montzalee Wittmann
Dead Man (Black Magic Outlaw #1) by Domino Finn is a pretty good fantasy book. Lots of action, magic, necromancy, suspense, and plenty of twists and turns. I had the audio narration and the narrator was pretty good.
Gavin
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal

I'm not going to lie, I was totally sucked in by the cool sounding blurb of this book. Did the story live up to the promise of the blurb? Probably not, but this still turned out to be an entertaining enough read. It was an action UF with a slightly unique fe
Constance Burris
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5 Good try.

I was mostly entertained. Writing style was good. It had a latino lead and he was crushing on a curvy latino chick. The bad buys were Haitian and Nigerian and there was a reference to an African Vampire. I cringed at the term "black on black" crime. I think the author could have used a racial sensitivity reader, but I have to give him points for trying. Good story over, even if it parts were predictable.

I'd read the next one if only to see what happens with the African vampire "as
Kenny Soward
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun magic system, great atmosphere and setting, and a heroic yet tarnished protagonist who finds some pretty creative ways to defeat his enemies. There was just enough betrayal, dark humor, and action without making my head spin in circles like with some books. There were some parts where I thought he emotion was drummed up, but otherwise good stuff. I will be checking out the rest of the series.
Susan
Dead Man by Domino Finn
Cisco Suarez, necromancer and a wee bit of a dumb ass, wakes up in  a dumpster. Wait. Can the dead wake? Cisco is full on dead and he’s none too happy to learn about it, especially since a variety of folks are set on seeing him dead. Again.
The Miami heat can be harsh, especially if you’re already prone to giving off body odor. Cisco needs info and the first person he runs into that he knows is Milena, who was his sister Seleste’s BFF. Cisco soon learns what tragedy
AudioBookReviewer
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Dead Man audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Cisco Suarez wakes up in a dumpster after being killed 10 years ago.  He remembers none of the last decade, how he died, or how he got many of the skills and strength he now has.  After tracking down a couple of friends, he is able to piece together enough details to follow a trail toward his killers.  More questions arise as he finds out someone slaughtered his family and a Hattian voodoo gang wants him dead.<
Sadie Forsythe
Entertaining overall, but there was a slow start with far too many info drops and the plot was a tad on the thin side. There were also a couple inconsistencies, like someone walking to work and saying they'd get a ride home and then Cisco showing up at work to borrow her car, which is there. However, I liked Cisco and was invested in what happened to him. I'd be willing to read the next in the series.
Ami
I took a chance with this new-to-me author because I always crave for urban fantasy with male protagonist. While it took me quite a whole to finish it but I guess I liked it enough. I wasn't completely invested with the voodoo ritual part of the book -- I mean, I enjoy urban fantasy stories with magic, but voodoo (with their rituals and their gods) is something different altogether. Which was why I was keep being distracted with romance books instead.

However, I liked Cisco's 'voice'.
K.M. Carroll
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After devouring the entire Dresden series by Jim Butcher, I've been dabbling with other series here and there, trying to find other urban fantasy that serves up non-stop action, plausible mystery, solid world building, and a hero with a (somewhat) moral core.

Imagine my surprise to find it in a black magic outlaw.

Our hero wakes up dead--or alive, we're not sure--in a dumpster, and his day goes downhill from there. Miami is painted in vivid prose, from the slang to the pink sidewalks.
Tarl
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I made it exactly 15% into this book before I decided to close it forever. I actually got this for free, an enticement to read the rest of the series. But unfortunately where other urban fantasies tend to create an interesting protagonist who is relatable to on some level, Finn did nothing of the sort here. To even get 15% into this book was a slog, and not one I enjoyed. I thought that maybe the action scenes would help drive the story, but they don't.

There was some potential in this novel, an
Britney (AudioShelf)
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook and while I loved the narrator, Neil Hellegers, I just couldn't really get into the story. At certain points it would hook me, but then most of the time the plot dragged. I do give props for the big twist, which totally took me by surprise. However, a lot of the little twists in the story were predictable and then never really addressed later on. One in particular really annoyed me because the secret was revealed and then NEVER spoken of again. I wish that there was a ...more
Jerry
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
One and done with this series (this was a mediocre slog).
Steven
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Warning: some spoilers ahead.

The Urban Fantasy market is saturated with copycats. There I said it, so you don't have to feel bad about thinking it. ;)

In all fairness though, I kind of understand the reasoning. The Dresden Files kind of set the bar for Urban Fantasy since its initial publication. An entire generation of geeks grown up on the titular geek wizard and his adventures. It stands to reason that so many writers are going to think imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Scott
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good urban fantasy with an original take on the main character. The title says it all.

If I have a quibble it's that the action scenes didn't seem to let up and sometimes they just seemed to be there because, ya know, action. I guess I'm saying that maybe some of them didn't serve the story so much as just provide an excuse to have some violence. But looking back on it, I can't put my finger on one that did this particularly. I just had a continuing sense of it as I read the book.

All
Phillip III
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Domino Finn when he released the first book in the Sycamore Moon series. I thought the three books in the trilogy were some of the best supernatural thrillers I'd read in a long time. Recently, Finn sent me the first two books in the Black Magic Outlaw series. Although I was in the middle of reading two other books, I set them aside, and delved into DEAD MAN.

I am thankful I did. (If you want the book synopsis, read it on Goodreads/Amazon). Basically, Cisco Suarez has bee
Nervous Nellie Justice
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reviewed
This is an urban fantasy. No sex, plenty of death, blood and gore. Voodoo ritual, gang violence and black magic. There is a satisfying ending, but it took a lot of blood and tears to get there. Seriously.

Cisco is a typical 24 year old kid/man. He thinks he knows everything. Playing with black magic is a game . . . until it isn’t. Someone or someones are trying to kill him. He is at times arrogant, self pitying and cold blooded. He’s an assassin albeit involuntarily.

This s
Dustin
Nice action, decent dialogue, likable protagonist, but a little weak on the plot.

There were a few points of eye-rolling drama (view spoiler) but I think my biggest issue with the story (and admittedly the most nit-picky thing ever) is the author only seems to introduce the few rules of an otherwise vaguely defined magic system to comment on how someone or other has broken them.

Not a bad read
Dawn
Sep 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF'd after Chapter 5.

I just couldn't read anymore. Overexplaining, the main character referring to himself in the third person (really???), the contradictions and confusing back and forth. Whiplash! Poorly written and crafted. I tried, though. This is the second or third time I've picked this one up and put it down again. I really want to like it. The story world is really cool, but ugh. I just can't make it past the writing.
Milan
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a decent start of a series. The beginning had issues but beginnings are usually the hardest. This book did a good job introducing the main character and the world and it set up the major plotline I'm sure will carry on through the series.
Lile I mentioned before I had some issues with the book but it drew me in eventually and I'll definitely read the next installment of the series which will hopefully be better.
Percy
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All-in-all, this was a kick-ass book. The twists kept coming and the action seldom stopped. Cisco's a great character to get behind, and the cast of characters was interesting and diverse. Will definitely be reading the rest of this series!
J.G. Gatewood
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very fast read, and an interesting concept. I thought the main character, Cisco, was very well developed. I thought a few things were a little rushed, but I liked the overall outcome of the story. I will pickup the next book in the series very soon.
Susan
I had the pleasure of reading the ebook back in 2016 but with the release of this series in audiobook format, I felt I needed to revisit this book. What follows is an updated review that includes my thoughts on the narration (which is excellent!).

Cisco Suarez, necromancer and a wee bit of a dumb ass, wakes up in a dumpster. Wait. Can the dead wake? Cisco is full on dead and he’s none too happy to learn about it, especially since a variety of folks are set on seeing him dead. Again. ...more
Joseph Rochner
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought it was good overall, i had never read a book like this, mainly because a lot of books that have the characters look overpowered or really amazing and make the book appear to be really good, but turns out to be rather disappointing, this however wasn't. I liked that Finn made the character Cisco a realistic character, he is not this overly powered magic user that a lot of authors tend to write about which doesn't allow for the character to grow and get stronger throughout the series, an ...more
alan l jarbeau
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dead man is a kick ads character.

I thoroughly enjoyed the novel ,and the character of Cisco Suarez . I also thought it was great that it took place in mami as I had spent time there in the service of helped to better envision certain aspects of the story. I also enjoyed the fact that voodoo was primarily used as the basis for much of what takes place in the story,and it was additionally interesting to learn a little in regards to the history of the practice of voodoo,and black magic. I was also t
Karen Wright
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun addition to the growing genre I'm learning about called urban fantasy. Cisco wakes up dead and in a dumpster by something unknown at first. He is a necromancer, something I thought only belonged in fantasy, but this new genre and it's authors are finding creative twists on how to apply these types of characters to a more modern universe. The writing is fun and crisp with an emphasis on the action and grit. It reminds me of an film action thriller with magic. It's becoming a staple of ...more
˚✧₊⁎ѕαи∂у⁎⁺˳✧༚
That was AWESOME!!

Imagine waking up in a dumpster. All pumped up, long hair, and even new tattoos! The story is full of twists until the very end. All I can say, it’s been an exciting ride!! It took me a while to finish because of work and household life. Even dreamed of it!! I couldn’t wait to listen and read along Kindle (not synchronized). As far as the narration goes, IMPRESSIVE!! Different accents and tones! I could tell who was who. Can’t wait for payday!! I definitely want this whole ser
Sean Duggan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of people contending to be "the next Jim Butcher" these days. This guy has a decent chance at it. Cisco is an entertaining character, flawed but attempting to do what's right. The magic system strikes a pretty decent balance between enough structure to feel like things aren't just being pulled out of the writer's nether regions and yet magical enough to inspire some wonder. I have no idea how accurate the depiction of Cuban culture is, but it is nice to have some other cultures r ...more
Amy Woodward
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many urban fantasies seem to be retelling the same story over and over. This was something different and enjoyable! You figure out the story along with Cisco and go through the emotional rollercoaster of losing 10 years and all that goes with that. He is an immature kid in many ways who is trying to deal with a lot plus stay alive and figure out where he's been for 10 years. Its a great start to a story. BTW if you're like me and hate big cliffhangers at the end of a book, this one doesn't ha ...more
Chris0804
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Actually more like 2.5 stars but I didn't like it enough for 3 stars.
Interesting concept and magic system as well as a fast paced story but the rambling writing style made it difficult to get into and keep paying attention. And the main character is not especially likable to me either. I don't hate him though or anything. I just don't really care about him.
That said it still wasn't terrible to read and maybe I'll give the next part in the series a shot if I run out of other stuff to read.
Em Taylor
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jolly good.

When I read the blurb, I was not convinced. But I was happily wrong. Its basically Sandman Slim light. Not a bad thing. Its characters are its own, the bones of the premise are similar to Kadreys Sandman Slim, as in a bloke, back from the beyond, to take revenge etc, but has many different elements, enough to make it interesting. Looking forward to the next.

Read with Kindle unlimited.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Was a Teenage Weredeer (Bright Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • Anubis Nights (Jonathan Shade, #4)
  • Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Dead Stare (Ghosts & Magic, #3)
  • Twisted
  • The Reason for Dragons
  • The Magic Thief (The Supernatural Pet Sitter, #1)
  • Pariah
  • The Guardians (The Guardians, #1)
  • Deadly Shadow: A Paranormal Suspense Thriller (The Assassin Chronicles Book 1)
  • Keys to the Coven (Hellfire Universe, #1)
  • Fade
  • Dastardly Bastard
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)
  • Whiskey Witches - Complete Season 1
  • Heart of Gold (Clans of Shadow, #1)
  • Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)
Domino Finn is an entertainment industry veteran, a contributor to award-winning video games, and the grizzled Urban Fantasy author of the best-selling Black Magic Outlaw series. His stories are equal parts spit, beer, and blood, and are notable for treating weighty issues with a supernatural veneer. If Domino has one rallying cry for the world, it's that fantasy is serious business.

Ta

Black Magic Outlaw (6 books)
  • Shadow Play (Black Magic Outlaw, #2)
  • Heart Strings  (Black Magic Outlaw, #3)
  • Powder Trade (Black Magic Outlaw, #4)
  • Fire Water (Black Magic Outlaw #5)
  • Death March (Black Magic Outlaw #6)
“Life's about experiences, not things." I” 0 likes
“Everyone's damaged in some way. That's what life does to a newborn. It slowly gives and takes indiscriminately, piling on and stripping away like so many coats of paint. People are just the remnants, the left behinds.” 0 likes