Start by marking “Dead Man (Black Magic Outlaw, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man (Black Magic Outlaw, #1)

Dead Man

(Black Magic Outlaw #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  914 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
I'm Cisco Suarez: necromancer, shadow charmer, black magic outlaw. Sounds kinda cool, doesn't it? It was, right until I woke up half dead in a dumpster.

Did I say half dead? Because I meant 100% dead. Full on. I don't do things halfway.

So here I am, alive for some reason, just another sunny day in Miami. It's a perfect paradise, except I'm into something bad. Wanted by poli
Published December 24th 2015 by Blood & Treasure

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man

Montzalee Wittmann
Dead Man (Black Magic Outlaw #1) by Domino Finn is a pretty good fantasy book. Lots of action, magic, necromancy, suspense, and plenty of twists and turns. I had the audio narration and the narrator was pretty good.
Gavin
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal

I'm not going to lie, I was totally sucked in by the cool sounding blurb of this book. Did the story live up to the promise of the blurb? Probably not, but this still turned out to be an entertaining enough read. It was an action UF with a slightly unique feel.

Th
Constance Burris
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5 Good try.

I was mostly entertained. Writing style was good. It had a latino lead and he was crushing on a curvy latino chick. The bad buys were Haitian and Nigerian and there was a reference to an African Vampire. I cringed at the term "black on black" crime. I think the author could have used a racial sensitivity reader, but I have to give him points for trying. Good story over, even if it parts were predictable.

I'd read the next one if only to see what happens with the African vampire "as
Kenny Soward
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun magic system, great atmosphere and setting, and a heroic yet tarnished protagonist who finds some pretty creative ways to defeat his enemies. There was just enough betrayal, dark humor, and action without making my head spin in circles like with some books. There were some parts where I thought he emotion was drummed up, but otherwise good stuff. I will be checking out the rest of the series.
Susan
Dead Man by Domino Finn
Cisco Suarez, necromancer and a wee bit of a dumb ass, wakes up in  a dumpster. Wait. Can the dead wake? Cisco is full on dead and he’s none too happy to learn about it, especially since a variety of folks are set on seeing him dead. Again.
The Miami heat can be harsh, especially if you’re already prone to giving off body odor. Cisco needs info and the first person he runs into that he knows is Milena, who was his sister Seleste’s BFF. Cisco soon learns what tragedy befell
AudioBookReviewer
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Dead Man audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Cisco Suarez wakes up in a dumpster after being killed 10 years ago.  He remembers none of the last decade, how he died, or how he got many of the skills and strength he now has.  After tracking down a couple of friends, he is able to piece together enough details to follow a trail toward his killers.  More questions arise as he finds out someone slaughtered his family and a Hattian voodoo gang wants him dea
Ami
I took a chance with this new-to-me author because I always crave for urban fantasy with male protagonist. While it took me quite a whole to finish it but I guess I liked it enough. I wasn't completely invested with the voodoo ritual part of the book -- I mean, I enjoy urban fantasy stories with magic, but voodoo (with their rituals and their gods) is something different altogether. Which was why I was keep being distracted with romance books instead.

However, I liked Cisco's 'voice'. I also foun
K.M. Carroll
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After devouring the entire Dresden series by Jim Butcher, I've been dabbling with other series here and there, trying to find other urban fantasy that serves up non-stop action, plausible mystery, solid world building, and a hero with a (somewhat) moral core.

Imagine my surprise to find it in a black magic outlaw.

Our hero wakes up dead--or alive, we're not sure--in a dumpster, and his day goes downhill from there. Miami is painted in vivid prose, from the slang to the pink sidewalks. There are C
Britney
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook and while I loved the narrator, Neil Hellegers, I just couldn't really get into the story. At certain points it would hook me, but then most of the time the plot dragged. I do give props for the big twist, which totally took me by surprise. However, a lot of the little twists in the story were predictable and then never really addressed later on. One in particular really annoyed me because the secret was revealed and then NEVER spoken of again. I wish that there was a ...more
Aleksandar Doynov
Recensione completa qui: Sogno tra i libri

Fra scontri e combattimenti, con l'uso della magia nera, Cisco scoprirà cose che mi hanno scioccato. L'autore è stato in grado di guidare il lettore nella lettura senza che questi possa immaginare i colpi di scena che lo aspettano dietro l'angolo.  Un romanzo ricco di suspense, magia, combattimenti, e tanti pezzi di cuore (e sicuramente molti cadaveri) lasciati in giro.
Floriana Amoruso
Abbandonato, non fa per me!!!!
Melindeeloo
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Resurrected Necromancer
Scott
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good urban fantasy with an original take on the main character. The title says it all.

If I have a quibble it's that the action scenes didn't seem to let up and sometimes they just seemed to be there because, ya know, action. I guess I'm saying that maybe some of them didn't serve the story so much as just provide an excuse to have some violence. But looking back on it, I can't put my finger on one that did this particularly. I just had a continuing sense of it as I read the book.

All
Phillip III
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Domino Finn when he released the first book in the Sycamore Moon series. I thought the three books in the trilogy were some of the best supernatural thrillers I'd read in a long time. Recently, Finn sent me the first two books in the Black Magic Outlaw series. Although I was in the middle of reading two other books, I set them aside, and delved into DEAD MAN.

I am thankful I did. (If you want the book synopsis, read it on Goodreads/Amazon). Basically, Cisco Suarez has been dead for t
Nervous Nellie Justice
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reviewed
This is an urban fantasy. No sex, plenty of death, blood and gore. Voodoo ritual, gang violence and black magic. There is a satisfying ending, but it took a lot of blood and tears to get there. Seriously.

Cisco is a typical 24 year old kid/man. He thinks he knows everything. Playing with black magic is a game . . . until it isn’t. Someone or someones are trying to kill him. He is at times arrogant, self pitying and cold blooded. He’s an assassin albeit involuntarily.

This story has more twists and
Dustin
Nice action, decent dialogue, likable protagonist, but a little weak on the plot.

There were a few points of eye-rolling drama (view spoiler) but I think my biggest issue with the story (and admittedly the most nit-picky thing ever) is the author only seems to introduce the few rules of an otherwise vaguely defined magic system to comment on how someone or other has broken them.

Not a bad read but I'm most likely going to pass on the rest of the s
Milan
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a decent start of a series. The beginning had issues but beginnings are usually the hardest. This book did a good job introducing the main character and the world and it set up the major plotline I'm sure will carry on through the series.
Lile I mentioned before I had some issues with the book but it drew me in eventually and I'll definitely read the next installment of the series which will hopefully be better.
Percy
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All-in-all, this was a kick-ass book. The twists kept coming and the action seldom stopped. Cisco's a great character to get behind, and the cast of characters was interesting and diverse. Will definitely be reading the rest of this series!
J.G. Gatewood
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very fast read, and an interesting concept. I thought the main character, Cisco, was very well developed. I thought a few things were a little rushed, but I liked the overall outcome of the story. I will pickup the next book in the series very soon.
Giuseppe
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Date le premesse mi sarei aspettato di più da questo libro.
La prima parte è, paradossalmente, quella più avvincente, mentre la seconda è più confusionaria e meno appassionante.
Susan
I had the pleasure of reading the ebook back in 2016 but with the release of this series in audiobook format, I felt I needed to revisit this book. What follows is an updated review that includes my thoughts on the narration (which is excellent!).

Cisco Suarez, necromancer and a wee bit of a dumb ass, wakes up in a dumpster. Wait. Can the dead wake? Cisco is full on dead and he’s none too happy to learn about it, especially since a variety of folks are set on seeing him dead. Again.

The Miami heat
Feel The Book
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Recensione a cura di Lucrezia per Feel The Book

Cisco Suarez è un negromante. Un negromante morto. Quando si risveglia vivo e vegeto (e addirittura in forma migliore di quanto ricordasse) in un cassonetto dell’immondizia non capisce cosa possa essere accaduto e la sua memoria non lo aiuta. L’unica cosa di cui si rende conto immediatamente è che i suoi guai non sono finiti, ma nonostante tutto non è una persona facile da scoraggiare. Animista dotato quanto sbruffone, è del tutto concentrato su se
Karen Wright
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun addition to the growing genre I'm learning about called urban fantasy. Cisco wakes up dead and in a dumpster by something unknown at first. He is a necromancer, something I thought only belonged in fantasy, but this new genre and it's authors are finding creative twists on how to apply these types of characters to a more modern universe. The writing is fun and crisp with an emphasis on the action and grit. It reminds me of an film action thriller with magic. It's becoming a staple of ...more
˚✧₊⁎ѕαи∂у⁎⁺˳✧༚
That was AWESOME!!

Imagine waking up in a dumpster. All pumped up, long hair, and even new tattoos! The story is full of twists until the very end. All I can say, it’s been an exciting ride!! It took me a while to finish because of work and household life. Even dreamed of it!! I couldn’t wait to listen and read along Kindle (not synchronized). As far as the narration goes, IMPRESSIVE!! Different accents and tones! I could tell who was who. Can’t wait for payday!! I definitely want this whole ser
Sean Duggan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of people contending to be "the next Jim Butcher" these days. This guy has a decent chance at it. Cisco is an entertaining character, flawed but attempting to do what's right. The magic system strikes a pretty decent balance between enough structure to feel like things aren't just being pulled out of the writer's nether regions and yet magical enough to inspire some wonder. I have no idea how accurate the depiction of Cuban culture is, but it is nice to have some other cultures r ...more
Amy Woodward
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many urban fantasies seem to be retelling the same story over and over. This was something different and enjoyable! You figure out the story along with Cisco and go through the emotional rollercoaster of losing 10 years and all that goes with that. He is an immature kid in many ways who is trying to deal with a lot plus stay alive and figure out where he's been for 10 years. Its a great start to a story. BTW if you're like me and hate big cliffhangers at the end of a book, this one doesn't ha ...more
Chris0804
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Actually more like 2.5 stars but I didn't like it enough for 3 stars.
Interesting concept and magic system as well as a fast paced story but the rambling writing style made it difficult to get into and keep paying attention. And the main character is not especially likable to me either. I don't hate him though or anything. I just don't really care about him.
That said it still wasn't terrible to read and maybe I'll give the next part in the series a shot if I run out of other stuff to read.
Em Taylor
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jolly good.

When I read the blurb, I was not convinced. But I was happily wrong. Its basically Sandman Slim light. Not a bad thing. Its characters are its own, the bones of the premise are similar to Kadreys Sandman Slim, as in a bloke, back from the beyond, to take revenge etc, but has many different elements, enough to make it interesting. Looking forward to the next.

Read with Kindle unlimited.
Meggie
Wow, Cisco Suarez fate was cruel with him. In Dead Man, Cisco Suarez seeked for answers and when he got them, at the end, Cisco wasn't absolved. His fate was set in stone and his action only cemented that further. All the experiences Cisco went through, after his death were tragic and full of mystery. What happened with Cisco's family was more than tragic, it was horrible. I hope he will find some happiness in his future.
  • The League of Doorways (Doorways, #2)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5)
  • The Guardians (The Guardians, #1)
  • The Reason for Dragons
  • Acheron Highway (Jonathan Shade, #2)
  • Pariah
  • Dead of Night (Ghosts & Magic, #1)
  • Drawing Dead: A Tale of Poker and Vampires
  • Summer Sword
  • Saving the Last Dragon
  • Rune Gate (Rune Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)
  • Hush (Dragon Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Blood Cloth Syndicate (A Relics Novel, #1)
  • Quentin Heart, Vampire Bounty Hunter
  • Dastardly Bastard
Domino Finn is an entertainment industry veteran, a contributor to award-winning video games, and the grizzled Urban Fantasy author of the best-selling Black Magic Outlaw series. His stories are equal parts spit, beer, and blood, and are notable for treating weighty issues with a supernatural veneer. If Domino has one rallying cry for the world, it's that fantasy is serious business.

Take up arms a

Black Magic Outlaw (6 books)
  • Shadow Play (Black Magic Outlaw, #2)
  • Heart Strings  (Black Magic Outlaw, #3)
  • Powder Trade (Black Magic Outlaw, #4)
  • Fire Water (Black Magic Outlaw #5)
  • Death March (Black Magic Outlaw #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
“Life's about experiences, not things." I” 0 likes
“Everyone's damaged in some way. That's what life does to a newborn. It slowly gives and takes indiscriminately, piling on and stripping away like so many coats of paint. People are just the remnants, the left behinds.” 0 likes