Start by marking “These Days of Ours” as Want to Read:
These Days of Ours

These Days of Ours

Kate and Becca aren't just cousins, they're best friends. Growing up together, they've shared all the milestones - childhood parties, eighteenth birthdays and now a double wedding day.

Kate and Charlie were meant to be. That's what everybody said. So why have things turned out so differently?

Best friends are forever, and true love always finds a way. Doesn't it?
Published April 7th 2016 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 22nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about These Days of Ours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Days of Ours

Start your review of These Days of Ours
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Books And The City revealed the glorious cover for These Days Of Ours I was extremely excited! The cover represented everything I love and the tagline had me wanting to know more straight away. I was over the bloody moon when I received a signed proof copy of this book (thank you SO much SJ and Juliet) I truly wasn’t expecting it and it was such a beautiful thing to open! Impatience is my middle name and so I started to read straight away and oh boy…what a book.
Have you ever read Where
Leah
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These Days of Ours is one of those slow-burning emotional books you absolutely devour. It might not be fast-paced, but the emotion is raw and real, and I quite enjoyed how gentle of a book it was and it doesn't half pack a punch. Everyone wonders if they had moments they let go, or people they let go, because of misunderstandings or miscommunication, and this whole novel is about the great love of Kate's life. It was very How I Met Your Mother, in the way that Ted and Robin were clearly meant ...more
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Although some parts were a little far-fetched, I really enjoyed this will-they-won't-they romance and even shed a few tears at the end!
Agi
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Oh wow. The first book since a long time that I wanted to devour every single word. Marvellous, magnificent read! It reminded me so much oo the books by Lucy Robinson or Jimmy Rice and Laura Tait - the writing style, the story - but it's a great thing, as I am a huge fan of the above mentioned authors. And now Juliet Ashton has just blown my mind with her new novel.
First things first, I have this extreme pleasure to be the owner of a very special signed proof copy of this book (thank you so, so
Liz
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the theme of enduring love that runs throughout the novel and the main characters were well developed but I did feel that Kate was far too forgiving of Becca and that their relationship as cousins/friends would not have been so smooth in ‘real life’. I also felt that a lot of events around the periphery of the main story were very far-fetched. Having said all that it was an enjoyable read.

3-4 stars
Lisa
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous read. Had me a bit teary at the end!
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firstreads
Ever had those friends where you just want to scream at them to kiss already? Even after twenty years and a marriage or more to different people? If you don't, you're about to and they're called Kate and Charlie.

Charmingly presented through vignettes of Kate's life (weddings, birthday parties, a book launch), These Days of Ours takes us through the twenty years of relationships, the ups downs, births and deaths, that make up a life until middle age. Although the focus is on how Kate's relations
Vicki Bowles
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But best friends are forever, and true love will find a way, won’t it…?
Look at this cover. It’s so pretty! It gives me hope that Spring is just around the corner, and we can leave this miserable month behind…

I was lucky enough to receive a signed ARC from the publisher (thank you, SJ, you wonderful woman, you!) in exchange for an honest review. (though obviously I never do dishonest reviews – that would miss the point ha ha!).

Their story is told through milestone events, and we learn how true
John Naylor
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

5 stars.
It deserves 5 stars.
I also hate the book.
I have never hated a book more or started a review in sentences rather than paragraphs.

So, I suppose I should explain.

I have never cried so much over a book before. The best author in the world could write every tragedy in my life and make them a little sadder but not reach the level of tears I shed reading this book. The author seems to have found most of my tragedies and put them into words
Kate’s Book Spot
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Firstly I’d like to thank the publisher for sending me this fabulous signed proof. There was a real buzz surrounding this book and I couldn’t wait to delve beneath the beautiful cover to find out more.

Getting to know Kate and Becca was lots of fun, they were great characters who kept me on my toes throughout – I should have known that when it came to a wedding, things wouldn’t be as they first appeared! This was a fab twist that really got me thinking.

The storyline took me through some major
Zoe Hall
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, first-reads
I won this lovely little book in a Goodreads giveaway so thank you to the publishers for sending me a copy of this book.

I've just finished this book sat in my garden, in the sunshine, and as I'm a sucker for a happy ending, this book has given me that warm, fuzzy feeling inside (or maybe it's the sun!).

This book is beautifully written and can I just say what a gorgeous cover this book has. I found the characters interesting and sometimes funny and the story itself is utterly heartwarming. A
Rebecca
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I recieved this book in a goodreads giveaway.

This book is set out by lifes party invitations. Each chapter is an invitation to the next life event in best friends and cousins kate and becca. We follow their lives, and charlies from kates 5 th birthday party right till around her 40th. Theres weddings engagements births and funerals.

I didnt want this book to end, i could have read about their lives forever. This book is pure chick lit. Full of love and romance.
Lynda Kelly
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this one knocking about on my Kindle for over a year now but I only get to romances or chicklit-style books when I fancy a break from my murderation and thriller stories, which really isn't too often !! I'm pleased I finally got to read it, though, as I greatly enjoyed it AND there isn't a single punctuation or spelling mistake........now THAT is bloody impressive, trust me, so I'll definitely be reading more by any author who can manage this marvellous feat !
I think my favourite
Helen
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
To be fair, I think my one-star rating reflects my lack of appreciation for this genre - is it chick lit? - more than anything else. But I found the characters implausible and the plot awkward and contrived. I persevered as the narration held my attention, but I am afraid my reaction when I had finished was not one of joy at having found a new author. I expect many people will find this book intriguing. Me, not so much.
Erin Lewis
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 star Review These Days Of Ours By Juliet Ashton

This was a new author to me.

I will admit that I was a tad confused at first, but once I got myself and the partners sorted out it was all good from there. To be totally honest, when I first started the book, I really wasn’t sure that it was for me. However I dived in and read the first half of the book in just over two hours and became totally immersed in the book. Kate and Becca are cousins who are more like best friends. They do everything
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a magnificent story of friendship, relationships and long lasting love. With each chapter being preceded by an invitation to a specific life event, be it 5th birthday party, wedding party, hen night etc... this is the tale of Kate and Becca, from when they were young right up until now.

They are cousins and the best of friends, and share everything, even it turns out partners. Their initial childhood sweethearts feature heavily in the book, as does their family.

These Days of Ours proves
Bharti
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First things first I absolutely loved this story of Kate and Charlie. These days of ours is a story which will give a lifetime of emotions compacted and powerfully delivered in its 400 odd pages. It is a love story, a story about life, family and friends. There is going through life just for the sake of it and then there is life in which we try to make sense of it. Kate's journey in this story is beautifully described and is supported by some fabulous characters. This story literally gave a book ...more
Lara Marshall
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read.

While not my first choice of genre I really enjoyed this book & the subject matter. It felt real, relatable & warm. A nice feel good story, that deals with sensitive issues like sexuality, parenthood & adoption in a respectful ,as well as humorous way. Would definitely recommend.
Julie Williams
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed most of the characters in this book but I felt that it did go on a bit too long and it took me nearly a week to finish. On the positive side I did enjoy the way the story was told through invitations to the characters special life events
Summer Ashbee
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Struggled to get through this, the story felt so disjointed. Would have rated 2 stars but I'm a sucker for a happy ending.
Kirstie
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: competiton-books
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Really liked the characters although Kate was a bit too forgiving of Becca in many situations.
Really easy enjoyable read
Jess
Deep Breath ...

These Days Of Ours is a book like no other I have read. It's sharp, it's witty, tongue-in-cheek, raw, honest, loveable, devastating, optimistic, unpredictable, fascinating, compelling, enthralling and emotional. I could go on and on for days still, but I'm pretty sure you get the picture.

Reading These Days Of Ours was very much akin to seeing a horrible car crash in front of you, and finding yourself unable to tear your eyes away from the debris. Kate and the rest of the motley
Samantha
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Slow burning emotional novel about Kate and Charles' true love that spans decades, tragedies, desires, fears and the constant distractions of everyday life. Kate and Charles go separate ways living and marrying other people but always remembering their love for each other that started when they were five and Charlie tells Kate that he loves her. They should always have been together but it was never meant to be.

Presented through snippets of Kates' life (weddings, parties, birthdays and a book
Montagne Ida
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
What can I say? It was just lovely. One of my favourite things about the book is how Juliet Ashton used wonderful expressions like “tattooed on her soul” or “absorbed in an ant she’d met”. My other favourite thing is how she doesn’t tell things but shows them to the reader, she isn’t simply explaining something/someone but you are learning the details about it in between a conversation the characters have for example (you’ll understand what I mean if you read the book.). I gave 4 stars because ...more
Deb Godley
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A lovely, entertaining story. Lovely characters, a lovely pace and all very enjoyable.
Although I found the flow of the book felt more like a screenplay than a novel- it didn’t ruin the story- but instead made me consider what actress would be Kate, Becca and who would be the perfect Charlie?
I’d certainly watch that movie.
Claire
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Similar idea to One Day by David Nicolls. I didn't like that either! I hated several of the key players, if my best friend behaved any way like the way Becca did, then I would seriously be considering my choice of friends! And I just found it all a bit sugary.
A bit of fun, and I'm glad I picked this up on a swap rather than buying. Will be donating forward.
Lucie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @164
There is nothing particulary wrong with the book, well, except for the sometimes very bad czech translation, I just didn't feel any special connection to the characters or the story. I had to force myself to pick it up, so I decided today that I am going to move to something I enjoy.
George
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 stars seems soo harsh, but it just seemed to go on and not sure it was for me as put me in a mini slump. Full review to follow.
Oh and full disclaimer. I put this down in September (2017) and then decided to pick it up on Feb (2018), to try and get my GoodReads pile down.
Mary Geraghty
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of character and drama

Life has its sliding doors moments and the characters in the book certainly had theirs, however it is a testament to love and life in all of its forms. A really enjoyable read.
Jo
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This had been on my kindle for awhile. What started a bit slow and predictable catapulted into a great read. Easy but thoughtful
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Vintage Summer
  • Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes
  • The Wish
  • A Very Vintage Christmas
  • A Perfect Cornish Summer (Porthmellow Harbour #1)
  • The Woman Who Kept Everything
  • The Wedding Obsession (The Morgan Sisters, #1)
  • A Thousand Roads Home
  • The Day We Meet Again
  • The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew
I write books. I'm an introverted extrovert, a homebody who loves going out, a nosey parker who can keep secrets. I live by the Thames. My study feels like the centre of the universe. I share my house with Matthew, who writes songs and composes film music in his studio upstairs, and our daughter, Niamh. Two dogs sleep at my feet all day, Mavis and Zelda, both pedigree idiots.

I'm five foot six,