Start by marking “One True Loves” as Want to Read:
One True Loves

One True Loves

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  23,096 ratings  ·  3,386 reviews
From the author of Maybe in Another Life—named a People Magazine pick and a "Best Book of the Summer" by Glamour and USA TODAY—comes a breathtaking new love story about a woman unexpectedly forced to choose between the husband she has long thought dead and the fiancé who has finally brought her back to life.

In her twenties, Emma Blair marries her high school sweetheart, Je
Kindle Edition, UK, 352 pages
Published June 7th 2016 by Washington Square Press

To ask other readers questions about One True Loves, please sign up.
Laura June 7, 2016 is the date Chapters (Canada) has as the release date.

·  23,096 ratings  ·  3,386 reviews

Barbie
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

My thoughts in a nutshell
I'm deeply in love with this book. One True Loves is my new favorite book. It tells you what I really feel about this book.

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
Emma has a decent life. She is madly in love with her husband, she lives for her dreams. One day her husband Jesse got an opportunity and he accepted it. He went out to the airport to travel and saw a glacier but Jesse never came back. Everyone thought Jesse was dead. Emma's
Aestas Book Blog
::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED :::

“I think it’s a good sign, though,” he said, “that I was crazy about you at sixteen and I’m still crazy about you now.”

This was one of those books that I knew I had to read from the moment I heard about it. Having already been a huge fan of Taylor Jenkins Reid's books, I knew it would be well-written and I was so excited to see where she'd take this story. I'll show you the blurb first so you can understand why I was so intrigued...
From the author of Maybe i
Jennifer Masterson
This is a 5 Star audiobook! Julia Whelan is my favorite female narrator! She takes books to higher levels! The book itself is 5 Stars for giving me all the feels!!! This is my second novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid and I loved it even more then I did the first, "Maybe in Another Life". "One True Loves" is the perfect summer read!!! It's chick lit, but boy is it well written, smart, and touching!

Emma is engaged to Sam. She is a widow. Her husband, Jesse, died in a helicopter crash, but wait, it gets
Christina - Traveling Sister
4.5, I stayed up too late reading this in one sitting - once you pick it up, you wont want to put it down stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

Emma Blair fell in love with her future husband Jesse Lerner the moment she laid eyes on him at a swim competition her freshman year of high-school. Jesse is popular, handsome, charming and seemingly completely out of Emma’s reach. Living in a small town in Massachusetts, Emma’s parents own a local bookstore and through the bookstor
Elyse Walters
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: The Kindle download is a $2.99 special today. I liked this book -- but what I especially enjoyed was the 'audiobook' narrator, also. I didn't 'read' this book. (could add 'audio' to the price)

I notice that Taylor Jenkins Reid has a new release --not in stores 'yet' --but soon-- (saw it a couple of months ago on Netgalley) -- but didn't request it --because I have enjoy 'two' of her other books by 'audio' --so much -- that I'm going to wait and listen to her new book in audio-form. Reid
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 2/27/19: Hi hello I still love TJR a whole heckin' ton. No one is surprised lmao

Original read 1/8/18: Hi, my name is Chelsea and I have become OBSESSED with Taylor Jenkins Reid. Omg. I loved this.
Christy
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!!!

photo BDA4F3FE-668B-42AE-9491-AAB43FEC6558_zpslrdcyy3t.jpg

Taylor Jenkins Reid is an author that has a talent for making you think about her stories and your life in general. This is the second book of hers I’ve read, and my mind is going a mile a minute. One True Loves is definitely a book that will make you think. It also gave me all the feels, which I love. It’s a book about a woman who had an impossible choice to make. I don’t envy this heroine at all. Being in love twice isn’t all it’s cracked up to be…

Emma Blair marries her high sch
Melanie

“I am finishing up dinner with my family and my fiancé when my husband calls…”

Do you ever read a book and know that you’re reading it at the exact moment in your life when you needed to read it? Because that is me with One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I know a three star rating doesn’t seem that high, but the message of this book spoke louder to me than maybe any other book this year. The universe really lined up for me with this one.

The basic premise of this story, that I’m sure you a
ღFloღ the coffee addict
Unpopular opinion:

This book just was not for me. I have a few friends who loved One True Loves dearly and I was so excited to read, but unfortunately it just didn’t work as well for me.

Objectively there isn’t anything seriously wrong with the story. In fact, the premise of the heroine losing her husband, eventually moving on only to find out her husband survived. Absolutely intriguing.

Here is my problem. I did not connect. The way the book was structured and the fact that the author put the evol
jessica
this, unfortunately, isnt quite the great cathartic tearjerker that a person sometimes needs, buuuut it does have its charming moments.

i think my main issue is with the way the story is set up - the first quarter is flashbacks to emma and jesse, the second quarter is flashbacks to emma and sam, and the last half is present time with both. i just think with a situation so emotionally devastating as finding out your husband is back from the dead, but also being engaged to someone else, there just
Larry H
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As if I wasn't a huge fan of hers after reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Daisy Jones and The Six , reading this book has further convinced me that Taylor Jenkins Reid is a freaking goddess, y'all!

Emma Blair wants nothing more than to get as far away from her small New England town and her parents’ dream of her taking over the family bookstore. When she meets Jesse in high school and they fall in love, she finds the key to her dreams. They move to California and begin exploring t
Pearl Angeli
4 Cried-My-Heart-Out Stars!

“I don't think that true love means your only love. I think true love means loving truly. Loving purely. Loving wholly.”

Is it wrong for me to rate this book 4 Stars instead of 5 just because Emma's decision in the end didn't work in my favor? Lol. Because if it is, then I am sorry. I loved the writing style of Taylor Jenkins Reid. It's beautiful, compelling, well thought-out. It was perfect! But the ending was not something that I want to happen and I refuse to acc
Jennifer Kyle
4.5 STARS

description

This is not the most original of storylines and is actually very similar to many movies and other books out there yet somewhere in the delivery and that ending (which I cried at) the author once again gifted me with another very good read.

The heroine falls for and marries her high school dream guy and they are perfect for one another. She lives years in a life of adventure and wonder that she had always dreamt of till a horrific accident occurs and he is presumed dead. Thereafter, gri
Bibi
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clearly I've been living under a rock because until last week I'd never opened a TJR book, yet here I am, binge-reading. One True Loves resonates with me on a personal level and brought back memories long buried, but more than that, it was an exceptional emotionally wringing story that was sadness and happiness intertwined.

Breathtaking, really.
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
5 BEAUTIFUL STARS

"Everything that happened before today feels different now, and I have no idea what happens after this."

description

The first time I read this author, I was impressed by her writing! But, this time, I'm simply amazed! I loved this story so much! It was heartbreaking, emotional, intense and so very beautiful. There were moments I was happy, upset and others where I was crying...and now I'm an emotional wreck..

Her books are like nothing I have read before. I loved her words because they are
Melissa
I hate this feeling—the nagging, incessant, soul-crushing thought that I should have loved this one more. Ugh . . . why oh why didn’t this work for me? This was supposed to be an epic read or so I thought.

There is no doubt that Taylor Jenkins Reid can spin highly emotional stories and always with a unique take on a relationship. She has the ability to make you sit back and think—to struggle with your own emotions and conflicted heart—in a way that sets her work apart, but it didn't totally work
Rachel Reads Ravenously
NOW LIVE!!!!!!!!!!

4.5 stars!

"Good things don't wait until you're ready. Sometimes they come right before, when you're almost there."

Emma and Jesse were high school sweethearts who lived an adventurous and happy life. In their twenties they married and fully expected to be together forever. But fate intervenes when a year into their marriage Jesse is lost at sea from a helicopter crash and presumed dead by everyone.

Three years later and Emma has moved on, her life is completely different
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
I KNOW I KNOW the minority once again.

photo Let_me_think_uhm_um_eh_ooh_yuck_dunno_weird_crazy_britney_huh_what_damn_creepy_icky_whoop_nah_zpsf1vyadzl.gif

I'm conflicted with this story. I loved the first half of this, but after about 70% or so, there were things I didn't understand and some things I just didn't enjoy.

As you may have read from the blurb, Emma and Jesse meet as teenagers, fall in love, and marry. But after a helicopter crash, Jesse goes missing and is assumed to be dead. Fast forward 3 years, Emma moves back home and is reacquainted with a childhood friend, Sam. They start to date, fall in l
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I related to this so much more than I thought I would, excuse me while I go and be emo about this book bc ow my feelings
Erin
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Years ago, when I was just a schoolgirl I always told my playmates that when I married, my first dance would be to Bryan Adams "Everything I do, I do it for you." Remember it was on the Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves soundtrack? Imagine my shock years later as a teenager when Adams was interviewed about some of his songs and laughingly mentioned how he cringed when people said they played it at their wedding. His reasoning " no real man would ever say those words to a real woman."

Luckily, Taylo
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
FINALLY LIVE on Amazon! I know it's pricey but BUY THIS BOOK! It's been four months since I read it and it's still my top fave of 2016.

5 "Epically heart-wrenching" Stars!

photo F33817BB-279B-4515-9A55-BB6C58DD8B78_zpsc3oaqzbf.jpg

When I'd feasted my eyes on this book blurb, I knew I had to stop at nothing to read One True Loves . If there's nothing I love more, it's angst and what plotline can bring that kind of emotional torture than that of a presumed dead spouse coming back...after you've moved on in life. Couple that with this book being written
Dilek VT
4,5 stars...
That was a book hard to read and hard to process because of the painful situation the characters were dealing with.

This is the opening sentence of the novel:
"I am finishing up dinner with my family and my fiancé when my husband calls.”

Think how painful it would be to lose the love of your life, your husband, your soulmate before you grow old, before even your first anniversary. Imagine the pain and torture that one can suffer in a situation like this.

And then, after years of strug
Beverly
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taylor Jenkins Reid always delivers stories that make me think and feel. They make me imagine how different my life could be, what would I do if one thing changed in my life, or about the person I want to be. I cannot think of another author who always makes me feel such huge, real, genuine feelings about life, me and relationships.

I think everyone has a moment that splits their life in two. When you look back on your own timeline, there’s a sharp spike somewhere along the way, some even that
Lucia
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-2-stars-read
WARNING:
I rarely use spoilers in my reviews but I couldn’t do without them this time. But don’t worry, they are all tagged and they are storyline spoilers only. There are no names of guys mentioned in spoilers so you won’t find out that happened to Jesse or Sam even if you read spoilers.

RANTY REVIEW:

One True Loves started with great intro and I truly liked scenes from Emma’s past. But once story caught up with present, it went downhill pretty fast. All I got was unhealthy relationships and lov
Andie
I am stunned speechless. Just wow. I'm not sure how to write a review for this beautiful book when my heart is still aching and tears are falling down my cheeks. Taylor Jenkins Reid takes us on a beautiful, heartbreaking and emotional, soul searching journey. It's a story about love and loss, finding love again, and most importantly finding yourself.

Imagine finding your true love in your high school sweetheart. You enjoy many incredible, adventurous years together. He's your soul mate, you marr
KAS
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Holy! Cow! "A moment that creates a "before" and an " after." Emma is having dinner with her fiancé, when the phone rings and it is her husband calling. If that doesn't put a huge lump in your throat and let you know you are in for one heck of a great read, I don't know what will! Emma became a widow on the eve of their first wedding anniversary, when the helicopter Jesse was traveling in went down over the Pacific Ocean and his body was never found. She has lost the love of her life and begins ...more
description
Remember in the movie Castaway when Tom Hanks returns home to find his fiance Helen Hunt is no longer available? That part was always the saddest part of the movie for me. Even sadder than Wilson in my opinion and Wilson's scene is hard to beat! In One True Loves, author Taylor Jenkins Reid offers a similar scenario but with the focus on the woman left behind instead of the castaway. And let me tell you, the grief, the internal conflict, the timing...it's all so heart wrenching. So many tears. T
Trina (Between Chapters)
TJR did it again. I am wrecked.

This isn't my favorite of her books for the specific reason that I wanted to be more torn between the two options. One of my favorite things about other TJR books has been how each timeline or scenario felt equally likeable. This time I had a clear preference and the character arc followed what I was hoping for.

However! I think the exploration of this idea was beautiful. I could feel the emotion and how hard of a position the main character was thrown into. Taylor'
Dee Montoya
3.5 Beautifully Tragic Stars*****

Even though I really DISLIKE love triangles, I love this author, so I decided to give this book a try. I'm going to be totally honest; I didn't love it, but I didn't really hate it either. I thought it was beautifully written, but also a very predictable read.

photo DCBBA070-7050-47A4-8D6F-902257160018_zpskdvv6n7w.jpg

Emma is a woman lucky enough to have Two True Loves. One was lost, but then suddenly found again, and the other one was found, when she have been totally lost.

Emma has been changed by tragedy. When she
Lyn
Audio - 5 stars
Story - 3.5 stars

I was expecting this book to leave me wrecked, but I only found it a little bit above emotional. I must be dead inside. Still I found it to be an interesting story, and I enjoyed it.

• Running Barefoot
  • Epic Sins (Epic Fail, #1)
  • Here to Stay (The Fish Tales, #3)
  • Happiness for Beginners
  • Before We Were Strangers
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Skipping a Beat
  • My Biggest Mistake
  • Full Share (Shore House, #1)
  • So Much More
  • Collared
  • A Matter of Truth (Fate, #3)
  • It Happens All the Time
  • The Sweetheart Deal
Taylor Jenkins Reid is the author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, One True Loves, Maybe in Another Life, and two other novels. She lives in Los Angeles. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @tjenkinsreid.
“Good things don’t wait until you’re ready. Sometimes they come right before, when you’re almost there. And I figured when that happens, you can let them pass by like a bus not meant for you. Or you can get ready. So I got ready.” 57 likes
“I had predicated my life on the idea that I wanted to see everywhere extraordinary, but I’d come to realize that extraordinary is everywhere.” 51 likes