Start by marking “This Book Will Not Be Fun” as Want to Read:
This Book Will Not Be Fun

This Book Will Not Be Fun

A mouse who acts as a careful custodian of his book tries to guarantee his reader some peace and order in spite of escalating chaos.

A book is no place for tomfoolery, and this mouse assures us that his book is to be no exception. Just please ignore that Word-Eating Flying Whale, and—oh, no, the lights have gone out. Wait, what is THAT?! Nothing to fear. Everything is under
Published by Random House (first published June 6th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about This Book Will Not Be Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Book Will Not Be Fun

Start your review of This Book Will Not Be Fun
JennE
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Aaaaaannnnddd. It wasn't.
I couldn't have picked a more fitting title for this book if you'd paid me.

This story-- or similar styles-- has been done many times. My "litmus" book per say, is The Monster at the End of This Book. In this version, a seriously nerdy mouse tries to convince the reader this book will not be fun, even if a Word-Eating Flying Whale appears. Then, the lights go out. Wait, what is THAT?! Nothing to fear. Everything is under control. Chaos ensues... but not even funny chaos.
Steve Holden
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is in the mold of picture books where the narrator speaks to the audience and encourages reading along with surprises and interaction. It has a silly premise, and these stories don't hold much of a plot, but if pulled off (Pigeon series by Mo Willems) it can be a hilarious read aloud and book that children want to read over and over.

I don't know if this one was executed in the same fashion as others, notably the Pigeon series, but I did find myself wanting to figure out the fun that would
Janet
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bespectacled mouse is determined to have absolutely NO fun in this book, and his plans to stay bored are very quickly challenged. This is a cute read that will make kids and adults giggle.
Kirsten
Super funny. A staid mouse insists that the book will not be fun while ridiculous things occur behind him. After a while, he joins in. Pair this with "Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Agree to Be In This Book)."

Notes on representation: The characters are all animals.
Krys

Funny, brief, silly. The book should be boring, but it's deceptive.
Jasmine
It's hard to do meta-textual picture books, but for me this one nailed it. A nerdy mouse is determined not to have fun or have anything exciting happen, but his plan is spoiled by a flying whale and some cronies.
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a cute book. My daughter engaged immediately with it, and we had fun (GASP!!) reading it. Definitely similar to other books (The Monster at the End of this Book), but it is a style that grabs my kids, so we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Samantha
Fun, but not as good as others of this type.
Jamie
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-ya
I like the curmudgeonly mouse and the fantastical plot that brings him out of his shell; good illustrations too!
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun and silly in the same vein as The Monster at the End of this Book.
Michelle
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun quick read. I think kids would get a kick out of this one.
Gladys
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO funny. This book is amazing!
Edward Sullivan
Au contraire. Plenty of chaotic fun.
Brian
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I wish my kids were still young enough for bedtime stories, because this would be perfect.
Colleen
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liam says 'The title is one truth and one lie. The mouse DOES have fun.'
Emily
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Interactive book that's lots of fun! (not)
Lynn
I look forward to trying out this book with some of my students as I think I've missed something. It starts out a bit interesting with a flying whale, but lost my attention after that.
Wide pages hold the action of bright colors and sparse text.
Jeff Loveness
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A feast for every sense
Angie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "In which a persnickety mouse assures readers that they will not enjoy the book, while trying to distract from the fantastical antics of a word-eating flying whale, a funky break-dancing glow worm, and others."

My Review: Munchkin, being a typical boy about preschool/kindergarten age loves snarky and funny books. I figured this would be great, along the lines of Book with No Pictures. Unfortunately, this one fell a little flat, maybe it will improve with addition re-reads but it just
Mary
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book fits solidly into the group of books coming out now that break the 4th wall and speak directly to the reader. Books like "This is not a Picture Book" and others that are not traditional stories are fun and interactive for readers of all ages.
Erin
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. Obviously, it's supposed to be humorous. The mouse narrator of the book keeps saying that the book will not be fun. Then something unexpected would happen like a whale flying (yes, flying) by or a zero gravity dance party would happen. The mouse eventually has fun in the book, but he doesn't expect that the reader has. Well, this reader is uncertain about the fun had in the book, so maybe he was right?

Could be good for storytimes with the right take on
Michelle
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a very silly book. I did not find it to be very funny, though. There is a lot of irony in what is happening in the illustrations and the text of the story. I really wanted a little more from the facial expressions of the main character. He didn't look like he meant what he was saying.

The author uses some higher level vocabulary which offer an opportunity to expand kids' word banks. These include: assure, unusual, taupe, and pleasant.

Curriculum connections: irony, prediction, vocabulary
Alice
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-75-stars
so........ this book grabbed me by the title and then bored me . I thought for sure the book would be fun, but it wasn't. And well, if you have read my other reviews, I am anti mice! So...you lost me there too! Rabbits, dogs, chinchillas etc no problem but mice!??? PUH lease! So thanks for the not fun because it was not fun!
Ben Truong
This Book Will Not Be Fun is a children's picture book written by Cirocco Dunlap and illustrated by Olivier Tallec. It is a mouse proclaiming that the book in your hands would not be fun, despite the amazing and fun things happening in the background.

Dunlap's text is simplistic and straightforward. The narrative is rather simple and a somewhat fun book about a mouse professing the book in hand is a boring book, by breaking the fourth wall. Tallec's illustrations are wonderfully depicted, a tad
Barbara
In this droll picture book, a mouse assures readers that no fun will be had in the reading of this book. As strange things start to happen, including a flying whale who eats words, the mouse keeps things calm and reassures readers that everything is perfectly okay and normal. But after he stumbles onto a dance party with outlandish creatures, he is tempted to tap a toe or two or maybe dance a bit himself since he cannot resist the beat of a song that he loves. The illustrations are simply great ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Dunlap, Cirocco This Book Will Not Be Fun, illustrated by Olivier Tallec. PICTURE BOOK. Random House, 2017. $17.99. Content: G.

An uppity mouse is convinced that nothing interesting will happen in this particular book. Except...there is a flying whale. And what's this? A glow-in-the-dark worm that does kung fu? How strange... and rather fun. And, wow, what's that on the next page?

This Book Will Not Be Fun is most definitely a fun book. The illustrations are hilarious, and many children will enjoy
Becky B
Mouse promises a nice, boring read. (You must read the inside front flap.) But then a flying whale shows up and a glow worm...and well, you didn't really believe that cover did you?

This reminds me a lot of Ryan T. Higgins Be Quiet! Both feature narrators who want a nice, calm read and get something decidedly different. But one of the narrators deals with the unplanned events better than the others. This was wild, imaginative, very random, and loads of fun. If you would rather have that nice,
Lydia
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quiet mouse, plans for an uneventful book, but things don't quite go to plan. Fortunately, he doesn't mind too much.

If you want a random, crazy storyline, this will deliver, though I found it a bit... unrealistic? Besides the flying whales and stuff, the mouse is introduced as an introvert type character (which I identify with), but his responses are not at all how I would have responded and I really think it would have been funnier if he'd have freaked out a bit more...

No content issues.

Melanie
A very serious mouse informs readers that this book will be very boring. Please ignore the flying whale.

But all of a sudden the whale brings a friend: a book worm, that glows! Then the lights go out! The mouse invites the reader to follow that worm's light-up footprints but don't have fun doing it. Eventually the mouse comes across a light switch. When mouse turns the lights on he encounters a whole bunch of silly imaginary creatures dancing to a funky song! He finds himself unable to resist the
Nicola
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

A fun and silly interactive picture book. I'm not sure if Miss 3 quite understood the idea that the mouse wanted things to be really boring (and his book got invaded with crazy fun) but she liked tracing the loop-de-loop with her
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Am Not a Chair!
  • Henny, Penny, Lenny, Denny, and Mike
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • Misunderstood Shark
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • Nothing Rhymes with Orange
  • I Don't Like Koala
  • Don't Blink!
  • Go Sleep in Your Own Bed!