Start by marking “A Dash of Dragon (Lailu Loganberry #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dash of Dragon (Lailu Loganberry #1)

A Dash of Dragon

(Lailu Loganberry #1)

A thirteen-year-old master chef has a lot to prove as she tries to run a five-star restaurant, cook the perfect dragon cuisine, repay a greedy loan shark, and outsmart the Elven mafia.

Lailu Loganberry is an expert at hunting dangerous beasts. And she’s even better at cooking them.

For years Lailu has trained to be the best chef in the city. Her specialty? Monster cuisine. W
Published July 11th 2017 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about A Dash of Dragon, please sign up.
Heidi Yes! Book two is slated for Summer 2018.
Shelli Is there ever an age limit for a book? I'm still reading good children's literature in my second half century of life, and I'm convinced that whatever…moreIs there ever an age limit for a book? I'm still reading good children's literature in my second half century of life, and I'm convinced that whatever the recipe for the Elixir of Eternal Youth is, it includes a generous daily dose of Dr. Seuss!(less)

Alexandra Ott
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book! It's fun, fast-paced, and full of adventure. The fantasy world is so unique, from the variety of mystical creatures to the technology. The entire cast is full of vivid and memorable characters, and I absolutely love Lailu. Highly recommend for fans of middle grade fantasy!
Kim Ventrella
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A kick-butt heroine, conniving villains and loads of adventure. A Dash of Dragon is a ton of fun! The fantasy world mixes technology, mythical creatures and high-stakes cooking. Middle grade fantasy fans will fall in love with Lailu and this fast-paced read.
Corabel Shofner
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: swanky-17s
I see a hit cooking show coming to airwaves near you:
Master Monster Cuisine, with Lailu Loganberry.

But the producer would be hard pressed to match the pace and imagination of this delightful romp.
The Elven mafia livens things up as does the ruthless loan shark. I might add that the threat of having to cook for said shark for the REST OF YOUR LIFE is a pretty good motivator.

Middle Grade readers will delight in this fantasy.
Katie Nelson
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The cooking adventure story you won't want to put down!

Lailu Loganberry is a chef specializing in cooking mystical beasts. After becoming the youngest graduate of cooking academy, Lailu decides to open a restaurant with her immensely talented but somewhat unreliable mentor, Slipshod. When she finds out that Slipshod borrowed money from a sketchy loan shark, Lailu has to rely on her wits, her skills, and her friends to save her restaurant--and her life--in this exciting story!

There is so much to
Diane Magras
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love stories where a female protagonist isn't your usual girl, and Lailu Loganberry, protagonist of this novel, certainly is unique. She's a masterful chef as well as hunter of the magical beasts that she puts on her restaurant's menu. All she wants is to make her restaurant a success, but her cooking mentor's unwise deal with the loan shark Mr. Boss drags her into a shady new world. The story is often humorous, thanks to Lailu's exchanges with her old rival from school (who is now a serious r ...more
Teresa Yea
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lailu Loganberry is a thirteen year old Jane-of-All-Trades. She’s plucky chef specializing in cooking mythical beasts, a monster hunter, and junior restaurant entrepreneur.
This story has all the ingredients for a perfect MG read: a plucky heroine, thrilling monster hunts, and all the steampunk gadgetry you can ask for. And that’s not to mention the delectable dragon cuisine and kraken hot pot! Lailu is the original hipster chef and her start-up restaurant, Mystic Cooking, is beyond cool… Runnin
Ms. Yingling
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss
Unfortunately I love The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart so much that it was a little harder for me to get into A Dash of Dragon. I did enjoy it, and will probably purchase a copy for my fans of E.D. Baker, Wrede's Dealing with Dragons, or Lairamore's Ivy's Ever After. It will be a good book to hand to readers who want strong girls having medievalish adventures involving cooking.
Ruth Gabel
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lailu Logenberry is an intrepid thirteen year old hunter/masterchef who cooks batyrdactyls, dragons and other creatures into delicious recipes. When her mentor, Slipshod, puts the restaurant in debt to Mr. Boss, it is up to Lailu to sort out the many problems this brings. The intricate plot involves Hannah her best friend, Greg her arch-rival, Ryon a mysterious young spy, Elister who is the king's scary executioner, and a band of very scary elves.
The books ending makes it seem like there is g
Melissa
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely charming and delightful middle-grade debut! Perfect for kids who love magic, a spunky heroine, and adventure galore. Highly recommended!
Jasmine
This was a very fun world, and a lot of fun in terms of plot and voice, though it really feels oddly like a world set up for a much older audience that the authors defanged. I mean, you have loan sharks in the description, (view spoiler) ...more
Julianne Dunn
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this story of Lailu fighting against the world (essentially) to achieve her dream of having a mystic cooking cafe that is affordable to the masses. She faces oppressive class and economic organization structures, physical limitations (she's 13 and chickens are scary as hell), misogyny in her personal and professional life, and elves (stupid elves). I love the world the authors have created. And how the introduction of our world's conveniences (printing press, car) seem to absolutely boggl ...more
Gareth Wronski
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally charming! A great main character, great supporting characters, and great villains. I loved the cooking aspect of the story, which goes wonderfully with the fantasy elements and produces something unique.
Amy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars; I really enjoyed it and want more!
Krysta
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It starts out slowly with a lot of background information, but gradually picks up pace to become an engaging read.
Sherri
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tween readers will enjoy this fantasy tale that shows mystical, fantastical creatures in a slightly different way---as the featured stars of tasty meals.

At 13-years-old Lailu is already a trained chef who specializes in not only cooking highly dangerous monsters (like krakens or ) but also in hunting down and killing these beasts. In order to become a Master Chef, Lailu needs to complete an apprenticeship with a qualified mentor but everyone turned her down--mainly because she wanted to open a
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Lang, Heidi and Kati Bartkowski A Dash of Dragon, 311 pages. Aladdin (Simon), 2017. $18.

Lailu may only be 13, but she has mastered the art of hunting dangerous beasts and turning them into delectable dishes. Instead working as a private chef, she and her mentor are trying something new – a place where ordinary people can come and try these dishes previously reserved for the wealthy. However, the money came from Mr. Boss, a manipulative loan shark. If Lailu doesn’t pay the money back in a suprem
Miss Amanda
SLJ gr 3-6 (although I think maybe gr 5+ 309 pgs

13 year old Lailu is determined to prove that she's better chef than her former classmate Greg. Unlike Greg, who's family is rich, nothing comes easy for Lailu. Her mentor, once known as a great chef, is unreliable and her small restaurant, Mystic Cooking, is small and off the beaten path. As if that wasn't hard enough, Lailu discovers her mentor is in debt to Mr. Boss. If they don't earn enough money to pay back the loan in less than a week, they'
GeneBWell
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent. This novel sets up an extremely detailed and vibrant fantasy world, one I hope to read dozens more stories about. I was completely enthralled by the complex and gripping conspiracy story, and I found myself reminded of the KEEPER OF LOST CITIES series (another favorite on my bookshelf). The main character was a great lead, with her own little flaws and rough edges that made her feel very natural. The action was thrilling, the cooking was magical, and the characters were mem ...more
Megan
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
This was a super cute read that I really enjoyed. Lailu Loganberry is a kick-butt heroine that, at only 13, owns her own restaurant, solves mysteries, and hunts dangerous beasts like dragons to cook. It was easy to read and age appropriate for its middle school audience. There is tons of mystery that keeps the reader hooked and guessing what's going to happen next. I definitely recommend for 10-14 year olds.
Hannah Belyea
Lailu knows that she has the skills to get her and her mentor out of his debt with Mr. Boss the loan shark, but when her attempts at cooking their way out of trouble draws in assassins and vicious elves, it will take swallowing some serious truths - and her pride - to survive! Lang delivers a funny, colourful and dark tale of the fantastical underworld that will keep readers gasping the whole way through. What price is Lailu willing to pay for her freedom?
Carol
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book, although something was weird at the beginning- it seemed like a paragraph was missing in the first chapter which made me almost not want to keep reading the book. I'm glad I did though because it was a great plot! I love the setting and characters. Excited to read more of the series!
Charlotte
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was a great book. I like the combination of cooking and mythical creatures. my only complaint is that there were a lot of characters and they were all hard to follow. but the characters had great backstory. side note: do not wake up early to read this or your brain will break remembering all of the charaters.
Serenarae
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why can't books targeting adults have as much fun and intrigue as this book did? I loved how dedicated Lailu was to her dream and how determined she was for her to reach it on her own terms. I hope there is a sequel.
Alan
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a vegetarian, but I still kinda want to try some of those dishes! A really imaginative world, epic rivalries, mouthwatering descriptions of mystical dishes, and steampunk scientists...what's not to love?
HeidiS.
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book! But I do think that Liolu faced too much as just a 12 year old startong a restrunt. Maybe one less problem? But I do think that there is opertunity for a second book with the perade thing that the elf was talking about
Kim K
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lot more violent and dark than I was expecting from a middle grade novel, but I can't say that I was disappointed by that. Lailu was a great protagonist and I hope for more books written in this universe.
Kristina Jean Lareau

A magical, political, culinary fantasy! An enchanting protagonist with a cast of reliable and unique friends. There is a lot of depth to this magical world and a lot of strength and humor to the protagonist. A great read!
Briana
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Initial Thoughts: I thought this was going to be slightly more about magical cooking and less about some crazy court intrigue/mystery/mafia plan that the protagonist becomes embroiled in, but it was interesting nonetheless.
Meggan
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This felt a little more like YA than middle grade - some parts felt pretty intense. But a fun read with a fun premise
Seth Hobson
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Can't wait to dig into the sequel!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Lailu Loganberry (2 books)
  • A Hint of Hydra (Lailu Loganberry #2)