Start by marking “Careened: Winter Solstice in Madierus (Baal's Heart, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Careened: Winter Solstice in Madierus (Baal's Heart, #3.5)

Careened: Winter Solstice in Madierus

(Baal's Heart #3.5)

Novelette (13 000 words)
Genre(s): Historical Fantasy, Holiday Short, Polyamory, LGBT+/GSM

A Baal's Heart short, following the events in Fated: Blood and Redemption

Plagued by terrible dreams, Jon begins to distance himself from Baltsaros and Tom. Perhaps a little holiday cheer is just the thing to help the three of them find common ground again.
Published December 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Careened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Careened

Start your review of Careened: Winter Solstice in Madierus (Baal's Heart, #3.5)
SheReadsALot
Recommends it for: Cupcake; Baal's Heart fans; Lovers of Pirate Menage
FIVE HEARTS--My favorite pirate throuple returns just in time for Christmas *ahem* Jizzmas!

Finally, a Santa jizz story that I can get behind! Pirates! And not your run of the mill pirates either. I've made my love for the "Baal's Heart" series well known. It's been documented all over. Sadly, you can't just jump to this Jizzmas short, you must read the first three novels before reading Careened.

Trust me, it's worth it.

We're back on the lush island of Madierus with Jon, Tom and Baltsaros,
Bey Deckard
Dec 23, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: fans of Baal's Heart
I had a dream almost two months ago where Jon, Tom, and Baltsaros were in a Christmas special together... something like one of those Hallmark holiday movies. It was ridiculous... there was even a laugh track, if I recall.

So I ended up writing a story very loosely based on that dream... Very loosely.

If you're not into holiday stories, this one's not necessary to make sense of the next chapter in Baal's Heart (hopefully Summer 2016). It's just a bit of silly holiday shenanigans to put some
Sheziss
This was cute and hot. Christmas-not-Christmas with our boys.

Sex, love and beaches. Not necessarily in that order, and definitely simultaneously.

I love Tom.
Chelsea
Reread- September 2017-Audiobook - still as beautiful the second time round!!! Can't wait for more of this addictive triad!!

Just Aaaamazing!! I seriously missed these guys, I'll have to go back and reread the series soon I think!!

Poor Jon is still recovering from the events that occurred at the end of Fated: Blood and Redemption and is struggling quite a lot. It made me sad :'-( But then Tom steps in to make Jon feel better and he made me so very happy! And then Baltsaros said probably the most
Sheri
Nov 02, 2017 added it
Ummm, I'm not going to rate this because I goofed.
I think it must have been a freebie and it was chillin' on my Kindle when decided to jump into it.
I had no clue it was a novella in the middle of a series and I felt...very lost.
And to be honest, I was still flying high from my pirates last week and these guys didn't snag me like they could/should have.
So, my bad.
I'll pay closer attention next time!
Trio
I love the idea of pirates decorating for the holiday season, hanging their stockings, snowflakes, and festive garlands. Of course in Careened: Winter Solstice in Madierus they do it all with the flair only Bey Deckard can bring to a story.

Visions of sugarplums? *ahem*, well not quite...

Reeling from the after effects of his capture at the end of book three in the Baals Heart series, Jon has sunk into a deep depression. Hoping to bolster Jons spirits and pull him out of his funk, Tom and the
Mercedes
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance, poly, fantasy
A sweet and hot holiday story with Tom, Jon and Baltsaros? Heck yeah! Thanks for the present Bey Deckard. Although my kindle caught fire towards the end, it was such a hot finish. Where do I send the repair bill?

Fans of the Baal's Heart Trilogy you don't want to miss this!
Toni FGMAMTC
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I love this series, and I've missed these men tremendously. For us fans, this novella is the perfect Christmas present.

Just when I think I've seen all the sides the trio has to offer, they show me more. Oh, Tom. I always love Tom. He's as amazing as ever. Jon had me worried for awhile. I've always understood Jon more and loved Tom more. Baltsaros has always scared me a bit. I never quite know what to expect from him. He totally surprised me again. All three men
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Review by The Blogger Girls.

What a wonderful surprise this story was! As with each previous story, we are immediately brought back into this fantastic world.

The guys are all back at home base resting and recovering. Jon is having a bit of a rough time with his nightmares and especially as Baltsaros seems to play a starring role. This puts him at great odds with B. Even though he consciously knows how things are and doesnt blame B, his subconscious doesnt feel the same and he doesnt quite know
Chris
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica, dark-grit, lgbtq
Another pirate installment with this one showing a vulnerable side to the guys - all three of them saddened for each other but not themselves... their loyalty and love in such a harsh climate is beautiful
Lost in a Book
See book #3 for review incoherent ramblings of love for this series.
Bey Deckard
Aug 16, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Now available in audiobook -> http://geni.us/CareenedAudio
Tracy
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-holiday
Careened: Winter Solstice in Madierus is the perfect treat for fans of Bey Deckards Baals Heart series. I remember being pretty excited when I learned that Mr. Deckard was releasing a short holiday story of my three favorite guys! And even more excited when I learned of the audio edition. Ive been a fan of the very talented Michael Ferraiuolo throughout this series and in his other works. He truly delivers a flawless narration of the complete Baals Heart series.

Careened picks up right after the
Joyfully Jay
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

This book is still laced with the aftermath of the darkness that drove the previous books, but also manages to have a lighter, dare I say romantic, tone as well. The relationship between Jon and Tom is fully on display as Tom lays out his heart for Jon and their interactions continue to make this series. Toms personality enhances the atmosphere; with as much as hes been through, his playful side is still intact and its his dialogue here that tempers the undertone of
Fiona Warner
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a lovely little Christmas treat for fans of Baal's Heart. Bey Deckard wrote a fantastic series and this additional story gifts us with everything great about the last three books mainly Tom, Jon and Baltseros and the on-going saga of their developing relationship.The dynamic between the three of them shifts and swells like the very sea their story evolved from. While the Baal's Heart is in for repair, the fractious threesome do some mending of their own. Bey Deckard creates a wintery, ...more
Sarabeth
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect

The perfect holiday treat. This little story was a surprise, wasn't expecting it....which Jon, Baltsaros and Tom prove are the best presents. This was so wonderfully executed, it took the grinch out of me a little.
Kristen Burns
5 Stars

Review:
This little story, which takes place after the trilogy, was so cute it nearly made me cry. All three men were such sweethearts in this one, even Baltsaros.

The final book didn't have the happiest of endings because the characters were still struggling with some things, but I'm glad to say this short story fixed that. It was a much better ending, and I definitely recommend it. I'm gonna miss these characters.

Tom just kissed him and murmured to him softly. "I love you, Jon. Do you
K
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
: It felt so good to catch up with Baltsaros, Tom, and Jon and see how they are doing since coming home to Madierus. Only things are not going as well as Id hoped.

Jon is struggling with nightmares, but Tom, always the peacemaker between the three, thinks he has the perfect plan to pull Jon out of his head for a while.

When Baltsaros tells Jon the story of Winter Solstice, or Corestmas, they decide it would do them all three some good to celebrate.

The story is brief but it was just enough to allow
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4 Stars
A quick epilogue dealing with Jon's trauma after the ending of Fated. I have hope for our men.
R.S.T.
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
''Twas wonderful! I've missed these characters and story so much!
Joseph Tonlet
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So nice to see the boys again!
Cadiva
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Steamy and cute festive treat

It was nice to get a festive follow up for the piratical threesome which also helped address some of the issues left at the end of the trilogy.

Jon is struggling but Tom and Baltsaros manage to being him back from his nightmarish dreams and find their way together.
Zoe
Oh my God, this totally rekindled my

It felt so good to spend some time with the boys again, even if it was just for a quickie. Loved this short glimpse of the aftermath of the latest adventure, loved how Tom again was breaking my heart and making me grin in just a few pages, and especially loved Baltsaros' gift for Little Tom... Well, of course I did.

Thank you to the masterminded Bey Deckard for this awesome Christmas present! Need more!

P.S. Discovered this a while ago and he totally is my
Teresa
This was the perfect follow up to the end of the trilogy. I had been worried about Jon but this gives me hope. Plus a lovely, kinky scene between the three!
Marion
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.50 Stars!
Allison
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shorts, audio, free, 2019
Great peek at one of my favorite throuples and their friends. It was fun to see the different ways they each celebrated the season. It was also wonderful to see them giving each other what they each felt the other would appreciate.

Audio: I love Michael Ferraiuolo, he is a great narrator. Fantastic voice, and I enjoy his range as well.
David
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review for the whole series. As if these books could be any better! Thanks to Bey generously giving out some of his expiring Audible codes, I got to listen to these and just, they are so fantastic. The narrator is amazing. The stories are amazing. I am really hoping he does continue the series like he said he would. Please, Bey!
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
This was a lovely holiday themed short to end(?) the series with the guys celebrating the holidays together again, healing.
Michelle
Just a short Xmas story starring our favorite pirates. A little on the sad side since Jon is not dealing well with having been raped, but sweet in the shared love and support of the trio.

• Curious (The Finn Factor, #1)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Just a Bit Twisted (Straight Guys, #1)
  • Human Omega: Discovered on the Slave Planet (Pykh, #1)
  • Sense of Place (Thomas Elkin, #3)
  • Elements of Retrofit (Thomas Elkin, #1)
  • Wrong Way Home - Criminal Delights: Taken
  • Chained in Darkness (Season One)
  • Insatiable (Witches of the Big Easy #0.5)
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Fear: Season Two, Episode Two (Demon Gate Book 11)
  • Enemy/Lover (The Vale Chronicles #2)
  • Theoden (New Haven #0)
  • Human Omega: Trapped in the Alien Jungle (Pykh #2)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Smolder (Ignite #2)
Artist, Writer, Dog Lover

Bey Deckard is the author of a number of novels including the Baals Heart books, Max, Beauty and His Beast, and Better the Devil You Know.

Bey lives in Montréal, Canada where he spends most of his time in the company of a handsome mutt named Murphy. When Beys not writing, hes doing graphic work, painting portraits, speaking French, cooking tasty vegetarian eats, or

Baal's Heart (3 books)
  • Caged: Love and Treachery on the High Seas (Baal's Heart, #1)
  • Sacrificed: Heart Beyond the Spires (Baal's Heart, #2)
  • Fated: Blood and Redemption (Baal's Heart, #3)

News & Interviews

“Winter Dark, or Corestmas. In fact, it’s the most important holiday of the year. We celebrate it on the longest night of the year, a night lasting a full five days in Sormaheine,” said Baltsaros, his expression distant. “It’s about surviving through the darkness together…” He” 0 likes