Start by marking “Le anime bianche” as Want to Read:
Le anime bianche

Le anime bianche

Ysobel è una ragazzina timida e minuta che non ha mai conosciuto i genitori e vive, assieme ai tutori Jean Braidfute e Angus Macayre, in un castello dall’aspetto austero immerso nella desolata brughiera scozzese. Fin dall’infanzia, la bambina mostra di essere dotata di un particolare “dono” che la rende diversa da tutti gli altri bambini; ella ha il “potere di vedere oltre ...more
Published December 23rd 2015 by Panesi Edizioni

To ask other readers questions about Le anime bianche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le anime bianche

Start your review of Le anime bianche
Quirkyreader
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable creeper set in Scotland.
Angela
A lovely, lilting story set mostly in the misty highlands of Scotland... where almost anything seems possible. I loved the innocence and joy of this book, and the unique perspective on life and death. I think readers of all ages could understand and relate to it.
Faith
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
My thoughts are muddled about this book.
It is a Scottish ghost story, but not like any ghost story you will come across.
It is narrated by a little girl who has the gift of seeing the spirits on earth after they die.
Family members of people who had died could not see them, but this little girl could. She called them the White People, and knew they were immensely happy and good.
The reason I gave it even 2.5 stars is because of the writing style. It is perfectly lovely, and has that pure charm
Zen Cho
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, short-stories
Ooooh, this was creepy, but not for the reasons the author intended it to be.
Rosemary Daly
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a MUST READ book. I can't believe I have never heard of it or run across it before now!!! Beautiful, thought-provoking, and all things amazing. ...more
Jeana
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I bought this book because I fell in love with the gilt castle on the cover. I discovered it at a secondhand bookshop in Lincoln City, Oregon, and had to have it.

I read this so fast—in a day, which is crazy for me! First, I didn't realize Burnett wrote stories that weren't just for children—although I love The Secret Garden and The Little Princess. And while The White People read simply, it wasn't a simple story at all.

Ysobel has a gift of seeing spirits and it's something that doesn't frighte
Christy
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet young Scottish girl has the gift of seeing those who have passed on. They appear pale and ethereal to her, and she calls them “the white people.” Naturally she assumes that everybody else can see them, too. Oh, yes, and she’s also the chieftainess of a clan, and she has her own castle, but that’s not essential to the story. She befriends a famous author that she has always admired, and the plot takes some interesting twists and turns on its way to a really satisfying ending. The book was ...more
astried
May 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, 2015
A wonderful story about life and the fear of death. I think this quote can say more than anything I write:

"If, after it was over, a man awakened as you said and found himself—the self he knew, but light, free, splendid—remembering all the ages of dark, unknowing dread, of horror of some black, aimless plunge, and suddenly seeing all the childish uselessness of it—how he would stand and smile! How he would stand and SMILE!"
Gail
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
A young girl mysteriously sees the ghosts of people who have passed who she calls the white people. It is a short, sweet story written by the author of the Secret Garden
Sharon
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, romance
Don't be put off by the title, this is not a book about racism, but rather the great mystery of life and love. A great little read. ...more
Nickie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most extraordinary novella. . From the title, you may think this is about Caucasians, but of course, it is nothing of the sort. The White People are people that only Ysobel, a landed/titled Scottish orphan, who lives in an old castle on the Scottish moors sees. They are people who appear very pale and faint and it is revealed that they are people who have recently died.

Her world is peopled with two servants who have taken care of her all of her life and the family's piper and his dog. She has
Jewels-PiXie Johnson
Frances Hodgson Burnett has a really infectious way of making you feel like you are being told the very best and most secret of secrets. The White People is an ethereal insight into the afterlife and it completely dismantles anything that might make you fear it.

Ysobel tells us her story ,always in a hushed kind of way like a faint blush on the page. But then there are frequent moments where the places and feelings she takes us to burst open in the most spectacular and glorious ,and unexpected w
Rebecca
In the early years of the century, young orphan Ysobel Muircarrie is being raised in the remote Scottish castle of which she is the chieftainess. She loves her misty moorland home, and thinks nothing of the extremely pale people she sometimes sees that no one else seems to see. When she grows older and meets up with her favorite fantasy author, Hector McNairn, she begins to understand what is really happening.

I loved Burnett's most famous books, but this one didn't do much for me. The descriptio
David Burkam
Having recently read George MacDonald's The Portent, I felt compelled to re-read Burnett's The White People.

A small gem from an author few people bother to read any more (other than her classic The Secret Garden). This novella, written six years after The Secret Garden, has strong roots in Scottish literature and lore (read George MacDonald's The Portent), as well as modern Spiritualism and Theosophy. After the death of her elder son in 1890, Burnett turned increasingly to Spiritualist teachings
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!! Well, yes, and it takes this little narrator girl until the last few pages to realize they're dead. Oy Vey. Everyone else in her intimate circle figures out they're dead except her. They don't tell her she's probably seeing dead people. This seems like a mean trick to play on someone. And then they finally tell her that the white people she sees are ghosts and she says something like, "Oh, OK. That makes sense." The End. Two stars.

So the moral of the story is this: She is
Pamela Butler
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a long short story 0r novella - I read it off of Project Gutenberg so it is hard for me to be precise. Since I am on Goodreads hoping to figure out which of Hodgson Burnett's work I have not read and which are novels, short stories or novellas, I feel I should offer this info!
It's a very good read - I was deeply engaged. Has a bit of her interest in mysticism showing through. The writing is a bit stylized, but it didn't alter my enjoyment of this I highly recommend to other Hodgson Burne
Martina Pagani
Even if it was very short, I really liked this ghost story. It was more than just the acceptance of death, it was clear how the author tried to give sense to the loss of people we love.
People should keep dear the quote "If, after it was over, a man awakened as you said and found himself--the self he knew, but light, free, splendid--remembering all the ages of dark, unknowing dread, of horror of some black, aimless plunge, and suddenly seeing all the childish uselessness of it--how he would stan
I Read
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: death
I liked the way Burnett utilised the innocence of childhood for unquestioning acceptance in this book. Also, her suggestions as explanations for the possibilities raised in the text made the story viable, rather than it becoming pure fantasy.

A lovely tale, though fairly see-through, however it was very short and an appealing notion so I don’t feel it suffered overly as a result.

I think this would make a comforting tale for anyone who has lost someone, even very recently as it is an easy read.

Oh,
Natalie Z
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about a girl who sees very pale people. No one else sees them except for her. People give reasonable excuses for not seeing them so it all seems normal, but towards the end, you start to notice a pattern of no one noticing these people. With all the talk about fear of death in this book, you start to wonder if the people she is seeing are alive. At the end of this book, you realize the girl was seeing dead people.
Shari
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just eerie enough to make my spine tingle without making me afraid to walk through the house at night with all the lights off. Typically sad, but inspiring for those who believe there is more than the here and now.
Hope
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovey, sweet story :)
CATHERINE
Gentle innocent ghost story that is quite sweet.
Lana Del Slay
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done-reviewed
I can't think why I enjoyed this at all, now. Odd. ...more
Marianne
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sweet yet eerie tale
Alisa Kester
I loved this novella so much! I think it's going to inspire an entire blog post, because it really hit on a lot of personal stuff for me. It was worth buying Kindle just to read this! ...more
Jenna Scribbles
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story about ghosts. Various web resources state that this novella was written after the author's son passed away.

3.5 - rounding up to 4.
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this short story, it was original, I would have liked it to have been longer and to have gone more in deoth with the story.
Onna
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little ghost story.
Sandy

I just loved this little book. It wasn't at all what I expected but after I finished it, it seemed such an obvious conclusion. I will recommend it to others.

• Mayflower: A History From Beginning to End
  • On Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Red Pepper's Patients: With An Account Of Anne Linton's Case In Particular
  • Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, Vol. 1
  • Nothing But Blackened Teeth
  • The City Machine
  • The Key to Midnight
  • Missing May
  • Russian Revolution: A History From Beginning to End (October Revolution, Russian Civil War, Nicholas II, Bolshevik, 1917. Lenin) (One Hour History Revolution Book 3)
  • Maya Civilization: A History from Beginning to End (Mesoamerican History Book 3)
  • The Black Death: A History From Beginning to End
  • Aztecs: A History From Beginning to End
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • Flash Fiction: 72 Very Short Stories
  • As for Me and My House
  • The Double Hook
  • Teacher Beware (Grace Ellery #1)
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more